• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameInformer Reviews - October Issue

Here they are...

Guitar Hero III..... 8.75 / 9
Stuntman Ignition..... 8.5 / 9
Fifa 08..... 7.75 / 7.75
Skate..... 8.75 / 8.5
NHL 2K8..... 7.75 / 8.25
NHL 08..... 8.5 / 8.5
Medal of Honor Airborne..... 7.25 / 7.25
Warriors Orochi..... 5.75
Dynasty Warriors Gundam..... 5
Guilty Gear XX Accent Core..... 7.75
Heavenly Sword..... 8.75 / 9
Warhawk..... 8.25 / 8
GRAW 2 (PS3)..... 8.5 / 8.5
Fatal Inertia..... 7.5 / 7
Stranglehold..... 7.25 / 7.25
Wild Arms 5..... 6.5 / 6.5
Soul Nomad..... 7.75 / 7.25
Metroid Prime 3..... 9.5 / 8.75 (GOTM)
My Sims..... 8 / 8
Dewy's Adventure..... 7 / 6.25
Tiger Woods 08 Wii..... 7 / 8.25
Madden 08 Wii..... 7.5 / 7.75
Boogie..... 7.75 / 6
Alien Syndrome..... 6.25 / 5
World in Conflict..... 9.25 / 8.25
Rune Factory..... 5.75 / 6
The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass..... 9.5 / 9.5 (Handheld GOTM)
Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles..... 7 / 7.25
Dragoneer's Aria..... 5.75
Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Heroes..... 6.75
Hot PXL..... 6
Worms Open Warfare 2..... 7.5
Drawn to Life..... 7

EDIT:

"Loose Talk" rumors section

GUITAR HERO GETS NEW BAND MEMBERS?
Industry analyst group Janco expects Activision to augment the Guitar Hero franchise with extra instrument peripherals - ala rival Rock Band - sometime next year. Regardlaess of whether the Guitar Hero series adds extra instruments, we expect another Guitar Hero title at a minimum.

RUMBLE ON THE WAY?
Word out of Japan is that Sony is readying a DualShock3 - as differentiated from the Sixaxis PS3 controller - that will be compatible with Gran Turismo 5 Prologue. This new DualShock would assumedly be the new Sony controller with the rumble feature, but we figure we would have heard about all of this at E3 if that were the case.

GAME BOY ON THE MOVE
Companies file techonology and product patents all the time - regardless of whether they come to fruitition on store shelves. Nintendo's newest patent merges motion-sensing technology with a handheld system that could detect motion along three axes.

THE PRICE OF ROCK
How much is iti going to cost? That's the big question surrounding Rock Band. Online retailers are listing the full band bundle with the game at $200 for the title's Nov 20 release. From what Loose Talk has heard, this isn't just the case of a retailer throwing out an arbitrary number to drum up preorders. It's a reliable number one source we talked to has confidence in. We don't expect EA to be in any rush to confirm the official price, since it is always better to lather people up with excitement instead of having them fixate on what it's going to cost.

Moving commentary here:

GRAW 2

I think I've played enough of GRAW2 PS3 to say that it does not deserve an 8.5, let alone two of them. Now I'm not sure if the 360 version deserved that type of score either, but with the shitty performance of the PS3 fresh in memory, no, it does not deserve that high of a score.

Heavenly Sword and Warhawk

Heavenly Sword scoring higher than Warhawk adds more credence to the claim that GI review scores are relatively to sales potential than anything else.

Fatal Inertia

7.5? Really?

purg3

slept with Malkin
SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
Here they are...

The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass..... 9.5 / 9.5 (Handheld GOTM)
Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles..... 7 / 7.25

Details on the Castlevania review plz. And Zelda is going to be freaking awesome.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
AltogetherAndrews said:

Heavenly Sword scoring higher than Warhawk adds more credence to the claim that GI review scores are relatively to sales potential than anything else.

I've never heard that, but nothing surprises me anymore

purgeface said:
Details on the Castlevania review plz. And Zelda is going to be freaking awesome.

Quote:

"You want to know why they don't make games like this any more? Because design has evolved, and having your will crushed by arbitrarily high difficulty levels isn't fun any more."

But he says it looks pretty, and if you've retained your love for high-difficulty side-scrolling action, you'll love it.

And it is very "faithful."

AltogetherAndrews said:
Hey you should post that quote from the Fatal Inertia review. That was pure gold.

Agreed!

On Fatal Inertia:

Quote:

"Added to the traditional dynamics of balancing the lean/turn and an array of weapon pad pickups, you'll also be juggling the vehicle's pitch - thanks to the use of Unreal 3, Fatal Inertia has you bouncing all over the place."

What?

Chromax

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
Quote:

"You want to know why they don't make games like this any more? Because design has evolved, and having your will crushed by arbitrarily high difficulty levels isn't fun any more."

But he says it looks pretty, and if you've retained your love for high-difficulty side-scrolling action, you'll love it.

Sounds good enough to pick up!

purg3

slept with Malkin
SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
Quote:

Thanks!

Morans. "This game is too hard, blah, blah, blah." Reminds me of the UGnG review from 1up...Either way, I'm still buying it.

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
Agreed!

On Fatal Inertia:

Quote:

"Added to the traditional dynamics of balancing the lean/turn and an array of weapon pad pickups, you'll also be juggling the vehicle's pitch - thanks to the use of Unreal 3, Fatal Inertia has you bouncing all over the place."

What?

:lol I keep reading that quote and i still don't get it. What does the Unreal engine have to do with juggling the vehicle's pitch?

I guess the only issue I have to bring up, is why is there still a distinction between a Game of the Month, and a Handheld Game of the Month. Especially in this era we are experiencing right now, where more people own a DS then, I guess, anything.

What's the point of having a separate hand held GOTM. If it's the best reviewed game of that month, give it the award..

Oh, Game Informer... how little you inform us.

*edit* haha, beat by a minute!

Belfast

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
Agreed!

On Fatal Inertia:

Quote:

What?

Day one purchase!

Tristam

purgeface said:
Thanks!

Morans. "This game is too hard, blah, blah, blah." Reminds me of the UGnG review from 1up...Either way, I'm still buying it.

Yeah, the UG&G review from Parish was bullshit.

Glad to see MP3 score GOTM though.

Belfast

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
I guess the only issue I have to bring up, is why is there still a distinction between a Game of the Month, and a Handheld Game of the Month. Especially in this era we are experiencing right now, where more people own a DS then, I guess, anything.

So that console games stand a chance, apparently.

VegaShinra

The controls in Fatal Inertia were awful in the demo. You couldn't even control the vehicle properly. There is no way that game is a 7. May be a 5 at best.

One more Fatal Inertia gem. This is the last sentence in the main review, by Miller.

Here goes:

"I like the game, but moreso becuase it reminds me of other games I enjoy than because I love it in its own right."

No, I am not making this up.

Concept17

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
Stuntman Ignition..... 8.5 / 9
Skate..... 8.75 / 8.5
Heavenly Sword..... 8.75 / 9
Warhawk..... 8.25 / 8

Surprising score for stuntman.

Looking good for Skate.

Nice HS and Warhawk scores, though Warhawk could use a point or so. :D

Belfast

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
One more Fatal Inertia gem. This is the last sentence in the main review, by Miller.

Here goes:

"I like the game, but moreso becuase it reminds me of other games I enjoy than because I love it in its own right."

No I am not making this up.

Wow, what?

iammeiam

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
Dewy's Adventure..... 7 / 6.25
Boogie..... 7.75 / 6

So they're rating Dewy roughly the same as Boogie? That's depressing; I think Dewy's Adventure may be the first third-party actually-involved-effort Wii game to bomb.

On the other hand, it is Game Informer, and they can be stupid at times.

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:

Here goes:

wow...the game got a 7 because of nostalgia?

Concept17

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:

Here goes:

What an awful excuse for a review. So if a game like Halo3 were only to deserve a 7, we should score it as 'x' because it reminds us of Halo2?

Belfast

iammeiam said:
So they're rating Dewy roughly the same as Boogie? That's depressing; I think Dewy's Adventure may be the first third-party actually-involved-effort Wii game to bomb.

On the other hand, it is Game Informer, and they can be stupid at times.

It's kind of depressing for a game that had a whole ten reasons as to why it's awesome.

Concept17

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:

Perhaps because theres is a very large gap between console and handheld games in terms of graphics, gameplay, etc...?

Minus ports, anyway.

SPEA

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:

Here goes:

No freaking way dude? You sure you typed that right.

If yes, wow.

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
Quote:

Ugh.

If you know it's a hard game, and you don't like hard games, why are you doing the fuckin review in the first place?

Concept17

AltogetherAndrews said:
Moving commentary here:

GRAW 2

I think I've played enough of GRAW2 PS3 to say that it does not deserve an 8.5, let alone two of them. Now I'm not sure if the 360 version deserved that type of score either, but with the shitty performance of the PS3 fresh in memory, no, it does not deserve that high of a score.

Its far from 'shitty'. And certainly doesn't make the gameplay unenjoyable.

And I highly doubt HS got a higher score simply for that reason. All signs point to it being a great game, with one major downside - its short. Also Warhawk is likely to sell nearly as well imo.

Top Bottom