• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar Hero 3 vs Rock Band video

I saw this over at scorehero and thought it was interesting enough to post here.

This is a side by side video of the guitar track for "Reptilia"
right click save as
http://media.gameinformer.com/downloads/downloads2014/movies/2007/rock/rb-mix.wmv

Not only is this the first time I think anyone has seen note charts of Reptilia, it's also the first time we've been able to make comparisons between the two games.

My first impression is that it appears to be slightly tougher on GH. The notes are spread out a little further apart in the chorus in GH, though the solos are strikingly similar. Rock Band does flip between rhythm and lead being played on the track as GH appears to stick with lead the whole time. Neversoft definitely seems capable of making great note charts (though many people would like to claim otherwise). Nevertheless it'll be interesting to see comparisons for the rest of the songs.

oh and crucify if old.

JavaMava

The reason I'm getting both is because I can just buy GHIII as a stand alone game. If it were a forced bundle I'd skip it. Rock Band is going to hurt the wallet (and the main reason I've rented Bioshock and MP3 instead of buying them) but at least the 3 instruments will last me through the generation so I can buy GHIV+ and RBII+ for standard game prices.

Gowans

Wow the RB notes seem really slim, makes it look harder straight away.

Sure it will just take some practice.

Wonder how it demotes the hammer ons and pull offs?

Rock band chart is better from what I see in that video, the notes for the second part in the video (16 seconds in) are done more logically then the GH3 ones.

Neither seems superior to me. I have no worries about Neversoft's abilities to make a chart, it'll just be confusing going from one to another.

Markster

hmm...

The Rock Band chart seems to make a litte more sense to me.

I would hope that the presence of the bass line in this is evidence of a combo bass/lead mode, instead of a gimped lead part. If this were what the lead always played, then in multiplayer, what's the bassist supposed to play?

Previously in Guitar Hero, the single player track has been a mix of lead and rhythm/bass to make it more interesting, and that didn't interfere with the lead / rhythmbass mode thingy co-op in GH2.

I think. Might all be lies.

JonathanEx said:
Previously in Guitar Hero, the single player track has been a mix of lead and rhythm/bass to make it more interesting, and that didn't interfere with the lead / rhythmbass mode thingy co-op in GH2.

I think. Might all be lies.
That's definitely the case for songs like Strutter and Can't You Hear Me Knocking.

Also, according to the leaked GH3 setlist, reptilia is a co-op encore. Will it be rhythm or bass for the second track I wonder. RB must be bass if the rhythm is being used in the main guitar track. Actually is there any rhythm guitar in RB or is it all basslines?

hwalker84

Gowans007 said:
Wow the RB notes seem really slim, makes it look harder straight away.

Sure it will just take some practice.

Wonder how it demotes the hammer ons and pull offs?

In the PAX build that I played it was lighter notes of the same color.

very nice comparison. I definitely think both are viable purchases, hence my GH3 and Rock Band pre-orders being paid off in full. (bonus if the GH3 controllers are compatible and vice versa)

Top Bottom