• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kikizo AM2 Interview (VF5 360)

Murayama: We have done a test to the AM2 development team from Europe, and we have found that there is a kind of lag intermittently, maybe every five seconds, so it is not perfect, but that is from between Europe and Japan. But with good online connection and if you invite a friend to play who is in the same city or same country it will be much better. Actually even in this version you have played there IS some lag, but it is extremely difficult to notice.

Murayama: Actually we have had this discussion internally, and technically we can do a 1080p version, but for that of course additional work would be required, and we wanted to focus on online versus mode; so considering this we concluded to keep 720p just like the arcade version.
Murayama: Frankly, we have no plan to update the PS3 version like that, for online versus mode or Version C.
edit. Holy shit UK Resistance.

tha_con

Banned
Thumbs down to no PS3 patch. The quote should read, however:

"Murayama: Frankly, Sony isn't nearly as wealthy as Microsoft, so we have no plan to update the PS3 version like that, for online versus mode or Version C. "

Jide

Majik said:
So if two people have solid 20 meg connections then there would be very little, if any lag?

The problem is latency...

I'm assuming from their interview that a ping of 100 or lower is deemed playable from their point of view(Keeping within the same country quote). What they've made frank is that cross country play seems out of the question for a proper match.

Dai Kaiju

"and technically we can do a 1080p version, but for that of course additional work would be required"

WOW :lol

Apocryphon

Jide said:
The problem is latency...

I'm assuming from their interview that a ping of 100 or lower is deemed playable from their point of view(Keeping within the same country quote). What they've made frank is that cross country play seems out of the question for a proper match.

So it'll be playable, but to get close to a proper match you'd need to be playing somebody in the same country?

jarrod

Banned
tha_con said:

"Murayama: Frankly, PS3 owners ignored our AAA game, so we have no plan to update the PS3 version like that, for online versus mode or Version C. "
fixed.

sprocket said:
yeah altering that one line of code would take days. :lol
they'd have to redo all the 2d art assets!

Adam Doree said:
Kikizo: Finally, please can I challenge you on the game?

Murayama: Of course. [I went on to beat Mr Murayama twice and Mr Iizawa three times. I also destroyed Kikizo contributor Ali Almaci (aka ******) at least once. Just don't ask Kikizo's Sharan Dev Jain (who got lucky) or Leo Tan from Activision (aka ElectricLeo, who is clearly much better than me) about their fights against me.]

OH SNAP

cgcg

Murayama: Frankly, we have no plan to update the PS3 version like that, for online versus mode or Version C.

translatioin: "Why give it out for free when we can charge $30 for VF5: Mo' Money edition?"

sprocket

Banned
The Faceless Master said:
they'd have to redo all the 2d art assets!

OH SNAP

scaling up front 720p to 1080 is hardly noticeable. If anything they may need to repostion a few things for the higher rez.

Shinobi

tha_con said:

"Murayama: Frankly, Sony isn't nearly as wealthy as Microsoft, so we have no plan to update the PS3 version like that, for online versus mode or Version C. "

More like...

"Murayama: Frankly, Sony are a bunch of cheap twats compared to Microsoft, so we have no plan to update the PS3 version like that, for online versus mode or Version C."

Nolan.

Shinobi said:
More like...

"Murayama: Frankly, Sony are a bunch of cheap twats compared to Microsoft, so we have no plan to update the PS3 version like that, for online versus mode or Version C."

Sony are anything but cheap.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
tha_con said:

OR
Murayama: Frankly, Sony just hasn't sold nearly as many consoles as Microsoft, so we have no plan to spend more money to update the PS3 version like that, for online versus mode or Version C.

tha_con

Banned
lol @ people defending AM2 by insulting Sony.

Is anyone going to argue that AM2 was almost assuredly paid money to put online on the 360 version?

I think their reference about 1080p pretty much illustrates their work ethic and 'commitment' to fans, as developers.

no ps3 update?

jerks.

I hope it bombs on the 360, which it probably will, online play and all.

sure it will be a hit for the neogaf crowd, but not joe six pack

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
tha_con said:

Is anyone going to argue that AM2 was almost assuredly paid money to put online on the 360 version?

I think their reference about 1080p pretty much illustrates their work ethic and 'commitment' to fans, as developers.

LOL @ everyone always insisting it MUST be moneyhats if MS gets something Sony doesn't.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
djtortilla said:
no ps3 update?

jerks.

I hope it bombs on the 360, which it probably will, online play and all.

sure it will be a hit for the neogaf crowd, but not joe six pack

Ummm.....maybe you should realize it was never a hit for joe six pack?

tha_con said:

What makes you say that?

Maybe they just realised that to do well on 360 they would need online play.

It tanked on PS3 but sales would have been doubled or even triples if it had online in my opinion

jarrod

Banned
tha_con said:

Sony wanted the game fast, they made the trade off here. End of story.

Had PS3 owners actually bought VF5 in any appreciable amount, AM2 would likely have been preparing a patch to satiate that base... but as is, why bother adding to a game that tanked so hard?

beerbelly

Banned
tha_con said:

So basically you're pissed that MS is paying money to give their userbase more incentive to own the 360. Okay there...

tha_con

Banned
mr_bishiuk said:
What makes you say that?

It tanked on PS3 but sales would have been doubled or even triples if it had online in my opinion

You think so? I don't. I think the name itself, unfortunately, has lost it's 'acclaim'. Tekken and DOA are much more name worthy, and frankly, VF is on the way out. Putting in 'online' was most certainly 'paid for' in one way or another. I just find it hard to believe that AM2 would leave out 1080p because of the 'extra work it would require' but then hop at the opportunity to voluntarily implement an online feature, when they were SO adamant about it in the past.

Developers don't just do 180 degree turns on their opinions and comments for the hell of it.

When AM2 said no online, they had no money from MS. When they said "hey, it'll have online" they had money from MS. I doubt they were just laying around one day and happened to stumble upon some netcode, or had a few 'extra people' lying around who had free time.

Money was most certainly involved. It makes sense.

Apocryphon

Okay, so getting back to the interview; how playable is likely to be online, between two people living in the same city?

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
mr_bishiuk said:
What makes you say that?

It's easier to sleep at night that way?

tha_con

Banned
beerbelly said:
So basically you're pissed that MS is paying money to give their userbase more incentive to own the 360. Okay there...

No, I'm pissed because stick options on the 360 sucks, and the Dpad is garbage, and no matter how much the 360 version has, IMO, it's still not 'playable' until I have either a good stick or a good dpad.

However, it would be nice if AM2 wouldn't just blow off it's fans. Suggesting that the 'user base' was the only reason they couldn't implement online is ridiculous. Dropping the price to $39.99 and adding an online patch would increase their sales, at a minimum, and help recover some of their lost money. Or even offering some modest DLC for a small price over the PSN and XBLA, would bring in more money.

AM2 is simply too old fashioned, and they are going to get crushed because of it.

jarrod

Banned
Sony already paid for a 6 month exclusivity window (which is why the 360 port was originally planned for August). They evidently didn't care about online play though, they just wanted the thing within launch window.

I doubt online was planned for the 360 rev originally anyway, pretty clear it was a much later addition with the additional 3 month delay (likely not even started until after the PS3 version released) and Microsoft evidently lent netcode support to AM2. Some "incentives" were likely exchanged here too, but it's not like Microsoft was ever in the driver's seat for VF5... Sony clearly had first dibs here.

Nice seeing the Sonycorps limpwristedly pushing Tekken and DOA as the new thing though. :lol

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
tha_con said:
Dropping the price to $39.99 and adding an online patch would increase their sales, at a minimum, and help recover some of their lost money.

Lost income from sales. Lost money to deliver said patch. Some extra sales because of price drop. Hmmmmm.....I'm betting they've already realized it would cost them more than they're going to recover.

So, how about adding it to a version that ISN'T released yet and they don't have to lower the price on? Wow, that might make them some money.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
jarrod said:
Sony already paid for a 6 month exclusivity window (which is why the 360 port was originally planned for August). They evidently didn't care about online play though, they just wanted the thing within launch window.
l

SHHHHHHHH!!! Only MS pays money for stuff......or so I'm told.

Shinobi

tha_con said:

:lol They threw out a perfect port on PS3 7 or 8 months after the arcade game dropped...I thought that showed plenty of commitment. Of course it then went onto sell less copies then the average comic book, so their lack of enthuiasm for working with the PS3 version isn't particularly surprising.

And were they paid by MS? Of course they were. I said three years ago that MS would give Sega whatever it took to get VF5. Of course back then almost everyone doubted that prediction, which goes to show how much smarter I am then all of you.

...or is it 'than all of you'? Eh, who cares.

jarrod said:

Had PS3 owners actually bought VF5 in any appreciable amount, AM2 would likely have been preparing a patch to satiate that base... but as is, why bother adding to a game that tanked so hard?

Bingo.

As I said before, the deal came down to this...

Sony wanted it first
MS wanted it online
Sega wanted green

All three got what they wanted, and there was certainly plenty of excitement among the Sony throng when VF5 was initially announced as a PS3 exclusive. So complaining about the way things are now after the fact really isn't productive.

It's like the XBots whining about Gears of War PC getting a bunch of extras over the 360 version, even though they've had the game all to themselves for a fucking year. You can't have your cake and eat it.

jarrod

Banned
squatingyeti said:
Lost income from sales. Lost money to deliver said patch. Some extra sales because of price drop. Hmmmmm.....I'm betting they've already realized it would cost them more than they're going to recover.

So, how about adding it to a version that ISN'T released yet and they don't have to lower the price on? Wow, that might make them some money.
Agreed. It also opens the door for a budget priced Evo style expansion (with added online play) next year on PS3 and 360. I just don't see the need to handicap the 360 rev in order to appease a largely disinteretsed PS3 userbase anyway right now.

jarrod

Banned
_leech_ said:
What's VF5's LTD sales?
Probably under 400k worldwide. It didn't even break 100k in Japan.

VF4 meanwhile sold almost 2 million on PS2. And that's not including VF4 Evo.

Tain

Can Someone tell Sumo Digital or someone to make a PC port of VF5?

Yes please.

All arcade games should just head to the PC from now on. It would save me from a ton of headaches.

Shinobi

jarrod said:
Probably under 400k worldwide. It didn't even break 100k in Japan.

VF4 meanwhile sold almost 2 million on PS2. And that's not including VF4 Evo.

And it too was missing online play...imagine that.

squatingyeti said:
SHHHHHHHH!!! Only MS pays money for stuff......or so I'm told.

:lol Yeah, where were all these concerned people with their ethics and principles when Sony was buying games up left and right during the PS1 and 2 eras? It hurts when the shoe's on the other foot doesn't it?

tha_con said:
You think so? I don't. I think the name itself, unfortunately, has lost it's 'acclaim'. Tekken and DOA are much more name worthy, and frankly, VF is on the way out. Putting in 'online' was most certainly 'paid for' in one way or another. I just find it hard to believe that AM2 would leave out 1080p because of the 'extra work it would require' but then hop at the opportunity to voluntarily implement an online feature, when they were SO adamant about it in the past.

Developers don't just do 180 degree turns on their opinions and comments for the hell of it.

When AM2 said no online, they had no money from MS. When they said "hey, it'll have online" they had money from MS. I doubt they were just laying around one day and happened to stumble upon some netcode, or had a few 'extra people' lying around who had free time.

Money was most certainly involved. It makes sense.

Man, you have issues

They wanted more sales plain and simple (so yer I suppose it was money!)!

As the arcade was only 720p doing a 1080p version would have meant redoing all the textures again so its understandable why they didn't! The 360 will have upscalled 1080p regardless.

jarrod

Banned
_leech_ said:
I think 400K would be enough for them to have turned a profit.
They likely haven't sold 400k though... still, it did way better than their other AC ports (Sega Golf Club & Virtua Tennis 3). It probably didn't lose money, but it's not the smashing success everyone probably envisioned when the game was greenlit.

Jide

jarrod said:

:lol How many copies are we talking about here?

The sad fact is AM2 don't even need to release it on consoles. There's hardly any profit for them at all...

I just hope the 360 version sells

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
twinturbo2 said:
Yeah, but how fast was the car going over said speedbump?

16 posts and counting since tha_con's last post.....I'd say the car was traveling about 35mph. The bump felt it, but it'll recover.

Jide

About the article it doesn't mention anything new really. I mean they didn't even bother to update Dojo mode either.. Thanks AM2 you really do care about your fans :(

Top Bottom