• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Populous DS revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

neo2046

http://www.inside-games.jp/news/236/23672.html
during the EA NEXT conference today
EA Japan has announced that Populous DS is under development
Populous DS is allowed for wireless play for 4 ppl
here is the logo, no screens yet
47899868620070919173115.jpg

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
GOOD FUCKING GOD I CAN'T BELIEVE IT WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
..is a port or not?

Those cogs in the logo have thrown me into thinking its nothing to do with the Bullfrog game.

PolyGone

Banned
can someone explain to me what makes populous so great compared to other god games? I've never really played much of it and it didn't seem as interesting as Sim City.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Hopefully the stylus use will be justified.
PolyGone said:
can someone explain to me what makes populous so great compared to other god games?
The fact that before Populous, there were no God Games.

PolyGone said:
can someone explain to me what makes populous so great compared to other god games? I've never really played much of it and it didn't seem as interesting as Sim City.

Sim City is not a god game.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
You know what would be awesome? If it was a tuned port of Populous SNES, complete with all the awesome skins, coupled with all the awesome additions of Populous 2. :O

Sharp

This is kind of awesome but if it comes out after Spore DS I'm not sure I'll be able to justify purchasing it.

Koren

Shard said:
Prbably not since they don't exist anymore. (EA Japan)
That may sound harsh, but that's probably good news, except for people who used to work there... I still don't understand how that managed to screw a game like SimCity so much. Even a plain port of one of the console version would have been much much better.

ethelred

Shard said:
Prbably not since they don't exist anymore. (EA Japan)

EA Japan still exists. They're strictly a publisher now, though -- no internal development. Sim City DS was done by Aki anyway, if I recall correctly. Hopefully they're not doing Populous DS, because it'd be nice to see that turn out better.

Acosta

Leave the dead rest in peace.

My excitement is -10 until I am sure the team has a single idea of what they are doing, the last attempt of making a Populous without Molyneux was far from great.

Haunted

Acosta said:
Leave the dead rest in peace.

My excitement is -10 until I am sure the team has a single idea of what they are doing, the last attempt of making a Populous without Molyneux was far from great.
I hope you're not talking about Populous The Beginning. While it wasn't a god-game in the sense of Populous I and II and more of a RTS, it was a fucking great game in its own right.

xfactor

Banned
Age of Empires: The Age of Kings
Settlers, The
SimCity DS
Theme Park DS
Zoo Tycoon DS

and now Populous DS...

wow, the developers sure love resurrecting the PC classics on the DS!

Sharp

Molyneux is not some sort of higher being. There are tons of excellent god games not made by Molyneux, even if none of them does quite what Populous does
yet waitforSpore

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
ethelred said:
EA Japan still exists. They're strictly a publisher now, though -- no internal development. Sim City DS was done by Aki anyway, if I recall correctly. Hopefully they're not doing Populous DS, because it'd be nice to see that turn out better.

From what I recall it was actually a mix of the two, EA Japan was working on the game till internal development was canned and then the game was outsourced to Aki, thsi might explain a few things.

Populous 2 still works on my PC (sans sound) and is still awesome. Thus this version needs to improve over that or I declare it a travesty!

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I far prefer populous 2 personally, that still holds up ok graphically too (for DS):

dosbox3.jpg

so i hope its a port of that.

xfactor said:
Settlers, The
SimCity DS
Theme Park DS
Zoo Tycoon DS

and now Populous DS...

I think that DS has a big pre-disposal to point and click games, .d.h. in theory many PC games could be ported easily. I think it's not a bad thing, even if I would prefer to see NEW games before all.

Acosta

Haunted One said:
I hope you're not talking about Populous The Beginning. While it wasn't a god-game in the sense of Populous I and II and more of a RTS, it was a fucking great game in its own right.

Of course I am speaking of The Beginning. It wasn´t Populous, plain and simple. If you are going to use the name, do it properly and improve over the formula, you don´t rape the formula and try to make a completely different game.

Peru

xfactor said:
Settlers, The
SimCity DS
Theme Park DS
Zoo Tycoon DS

and now Populous DS...

By far the best PC to DS strategy game is Anno 1701 Dawn of discovery, an instant classic.

Acosta

Sharp said:
Molyneux is not some sort of higher being. There are tons of excellent god games not made by Molyneux, even if none of them does quite what Populous does
yet waitforSpore

Molyneux is not a higher being, but he is a faboulous game designer and Populous is his game, he funded Bullfrog over it. I feel far from confident that EA is going to try to make it for DS after what they did with Sim City DS.

Populous 2 is a master piece, with a bit of luck, the DS version will be a straight port with better graphics.

No6

Acosta said:
Populous 2 is a master piece, with a bit of luck, the DS version will be a straight port with better graphics.
Pop2 doesn't need better graphics, what it needs is for the dev to make sure that they don't bork the controls like what's been done to most old-PC->DS games. Populous' terrain changing was finicky enough with a mouse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom