• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Populous DS revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.
PolyGone said:
I think it needs better graphics too, who doesn't want better graphics?
People who want to pay for the same thing twice.Those with a lack of trust in EA's small teams.
That and those who have nostalgia for the original.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Holy shit Populous? on DS? Quick, fetch a priest, there are unholy deeds to be discovered.

Seriously, DO want, even if it's a half assed port, give it to me, NOW.

omgoldmangasm.jpg

Acosta

No6 said:
Pop2 doesn't need better graphics, what it needs is for the dev to make sure that they don't bork the controls like what's been done to most old-PC->DS games. Populous' terrain changing was finicky enough with a mouse.

Well, doen´t need it, but it would pretty cool. Of course, perfect control would be a must, I don´t even need to ask they do that.

pvpness

Yay! I really hope they bust chops and make it great again, even without Peter.

I'll echo some other statements in this thread: More syndicate/dungeon keeper please!

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
OMG! I know I didn't buy Theme Park or Sim City but they'd really have to fuck this up for me not to buy it!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I bought Sim City. I bought Theme Park. I'll buy this. I'll buy Dungeon Keeper.

JUST GIVE ME FUCKING THEME HOSPITAL

Deku

Banned
I'm happy to know it's coming. One of the games I asked for from EA a few months back.

One of the mistakes they made with SimCity DS was to pepper it with 'DS specific' content like the Santa game or the endless 'meetings' with citizens with no way to skip through them that ended up ruining the experience rather than enhancing it.

I hope they keep the experience truer of the original game and if they decide to put in some work for DS specific content, it should be the same gameplay theme as the game itself and not be a side or mini game.

Great, bump a thread with lemon party pics. :lol

Thanks for the link though :)
Edit: what horrible jpg compression. They used MSPaint or what?

Eteric Rice

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
I think that DS has a big pre-disposal to point and click games, .d.h. in theory many PC games could be ported easily. I think it's not a bad thing, even if I would prefer to see NEW games before all.

I'm surprised they aren't doing the same thing with the Wii.

Anyway, never played Populous. Can someone educate me? :)

Krowley

Eteric Rice said:
I'm surprised they aren't doing the same thing with the Wii.

Anyway, never played Populous. Can someone educate me? :)

The ultimate god game and the game that made peter molyneaux a famous game designer, although he's no longer involved with the series... It's a bit hard to explain so I'll just copy and paste soime text from wikipedia.

the player adopts the role of a deity and assumes the responsibility to shepherd people by direction, manipulation, and divine intervention. The player has the ability to shape the landscape and grow their civilization with the overall aim of having it conquer an enemy force, which is led by an opposing deity.

As the game progresses, the player rules over a variety of different civilizations, including Prehistoric, Ancient, and Medieval.

Populous was possibly one of the first games to use a non-linear level progression: the score for each game was calculated from the game statistics, for example the number of towns, the number of successful battles etc. Depending on the score the player could progress to a different world or level and quite typically jump five to ten levels forward each time. This fact suggests that published lists (see in external links) with the entire codes for all levels were obtained by manipulation of the program rather than genuine playing.

It's sort of like sim city, only with supernatural elements and a war-game theme. The fact that you aren't in complete control of your minions is the main draw. You have to nudge them in various ways using your god powers with the ultimate goal of defeating the enemy god. They are very strategic games, and very enjoyable.

I wish they would transfer this to the wii as well.

Eteric Rice

Krowley said:
The ultimate god game and the game that made peter molyneaux a famous game designer, although he's no longer involved with the series... It's a bit hard to explain so I'll just copy and paste soime text from wikipedia.

It's sort of like sim city, only with supernatural elements and a war-game theme. The fact that you aren't in complete control of your minions is the main draw.

I wish they would transfer this to the wii as well.

Sounds like a game that will consume my life.

Will buy!

justchris

Love Populous, will definitely be picking this up, unless they thoroughly ruin it, in which case EA and I will be having a little conversation.

I hope they take their time developing it (partially to make it excellent, and partially because I need to clear my DS backlog so I can give it the attention it deserves). I also hope for WFC support, mmmmm...multiplayer Populous.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Anyone can tell me what Populous is about, and what makes it good?

EDIT: Nevermind

Raw64life said:
I got Populous on SNES when I was like 8 and I never quite figured out how to play it.
I know what you mean. I got it when I was real young too. I figured out the basics and such; however, I never really fully understood everything about the game. I had lots of fun with it though. Especially the later levels with the awesome skins. xD

Gwanatu T

jj984jj said:
Why do you keep bumping this thread?

Because not all of us have seen the update. This is some fantastic stuff, the game looks great. I'm enjoying this trend of resurrected games on the DS quite a bit, keep it up publishers!

Zyzyxxz

oh nice, never got into Populous since I was too young to appreciate it at the time.

Anyway stop it with the gay men pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom