• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lost Odyssey Spanning Over Four DVDs - Blu Ray vindicated

VegaShinra

AMN 360

If you thought that three DVD's for Blue Dragon was excessive prepare yourself for this. During a meeting at this year's Tokyo Game Show, Hironobu Sakaguchi revealed that his next upcoming title will be epic in many ways. Sakaguchi revealed that Lost Odyssey will span over four DVDs. The game uses a mixture of CG and real-time cut scenes to illustrate the storyline. The game is expected to last between 40-50hrs.

The Lost Odyssey team is planning to ship the title with a multiple language option, including English and Japanese. However, the voice animations for the characters will be synched with the English voice work, even the Japanese version. Sakaguchi stated that the Japanese are use to not having voices matched up to lip movement because of all the western films that have now made there way into Japan. By using English as the main voice work of the title, Sakaguchi wanted to show the English speaking audience his appreciation for their support.

Wow, that's a lot of DVD's. Hope the game really last 40-50hrs though. Make it happen Sakaguchi.

wonder if they'll fucking stack them on top of each other in the case like they did with blue dragon? that shit pisses me off way more than the fact that the game is four discs.

KingJ2002

PSX era... but i dont mind it for rpg's... it's not really a hassle and it feels like you're opening a new chapter in a book.

Only problem I ever had with multi-disc RPGs is that when the game tries to do a 'fake ending' you're like 'mmmmnope it's just disc 2 nice try though buddy'

By using English as the main voice work of the title, Sakaguchi wanted to show the English speaking audience his appreciation for their support.
Considering the reception BD is getting in Western press... well, if you look at it from sales, then it's fine, but support...

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
KingJ2002 said:
PSX era... but i dont mind it for rpg's... it's not really a hassle and it feels like you're opening a new chapter in a book.

For RPG's it was actually a feature I liked just because the more discs a game was the more epic it felt in the PSX era.

blu-ray.jpg

4 DVD's? Is that including like audio tracks and like documentaries and stuff?

And even though this is "lawl worthy" it's kind of cool. I loved getting those 4 disc cases for my PS1 Final Fantasies:D it makes you feel like you bought something huge.

Not a big deal but this is going to erupt quickly.

MCD

Damn...and here i thought UE3.0 will help them with the compression.

anyway, Blim, thanks as usual.

voltron

MWS Natural said:
I agree completely, I've put a good 40+hrs in and I'm still only halfway through Lair and Heavenly Sword.

Youve put 20hours into Heavenly Sword? I thought it was super short?

Avalon

Hcoregamer00 said:
For RPG's it was actually a feature I liked just because the more discs a game was the more epic it felt in the PSX era.

What? :lol

The most epic RPG on the PSX was about 80 hours worth of gameplay and on a single disc. :)

OokieSpookie said:
LOL look junior made a lair and heavenly sword joke how cute...
And people thought he was serious :p It doesn't matter anyway. Blu-Ray is the next medium apart from digital distro because the size keeps expanding quickly.

icecream

Public Health Threat
If true, MS is sure giving Mistwalker a free pass. Wonder if this will become a standard for big 360 RPGs.

And yet Mass Effect is supposedly around the same "length" and it fits on 1 dvd.

FMV is likely the culprit.

Either way, since its a linear game (right?) its not particularly a big deal.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
MWS Natural said:
I agree completely, I've put a good 40+hrs in and I'm still only halfway through Lair and Heavenly Sword.
Why?
Seriously, though its not the same thing.

EDIT: Whoops! :lol ... must be sleepee. Sorry...

MCD

GhaleonEB said:
Lots of CG, as with Blue Dragon. I do wish he'd stuck with the game engine for cinematics.

Sakaguchi loves CG/FMVs, he can't make games without them.

just look at ASH on the DS.

seat

OH NOES WE NEEDS TEH BROO RAYS

Am I the last person on earth who doesn't really care if a game spans multiple discs?

Top Bottom