• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the cheapest way to go wireless with the 360?

I just bought a new TV and Elite 360 from Best Buy as a part of the Halo/360/HDTV deal. This is my second 360 and I'll be placing it in my living room. Unfortunately, there's no good way for me to wire my apartment to get the ethernet cable down there, so I'm looking for a wireless alternative.

Am I forced to buy that ridiculously priced 360 wireless adapter, or is there a different (cheaper) way of doing it? $80-$100 for the first party adapter is just retarded.

Thanks! :D

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Barnolde said:
Yes. The rest of us just find it annoying and stupid.

It's the only damn next gen console that doesn't. It's frankly archaic for a system that promotes it's online capabilities so much.

rhfb said:
Am I the only one who thinks its kinda funny that a 129$ DS has wireless and a 449$ elite doesn't?

The $499 20 gig PS3 didn't have it either... also, the DS is the B standard where you are looking for the G standard at least for online gaming.

Just get an ethernet bridge. Even the original wireless bridge for the Xbox works on the 360 and you can find those for around $40-$50 bucks.

I've had a bridge for years since the PS2/Xbox weren't wireless so I'm just using the same one I had for those two systems on the 360.

omg.kittens said:
It's the only damn next gen console that doesn't. It's frankly archaic for a system that promotes it's online capabilities so much.

20 gig PS3 says hello

Barnolde

Banned
omg.kittens said:
Especially since it's so unfriendly with 3rd party wireless things. USB wi-fi won't work.

I spent hours helping a friend troubleshoot a Logitech wireless thing from Xbox. MS customer service said it should work, there was no reason why it didn't and he had used it for his Xbox1 for a long time before. Eventually we just gave up after about 5 hours of trying, bought the $100 MS one and it worked perfectly as soon as it plugged in.

MS are just dicks because they can be. Nickel and diming is a big part of their business plan with the 360 and sadly, it seems to be working quite well.

Barnolde said:
Especially since it's so unfriendly with 3rd party wireless things. USB wi-fi won't work.

I spent hours helping a friend troubleshoot a Logitech wireless thing from Xbox. MS customer service said it should work, there was no reason why it didn't and he had used it for his Xbox1 for a long time before. Eventually we just gave up after about 5 hours of trying, bought the $100 MS one and it worked perfectly as soon as it plugged in.

MS are just dicks because they can be. Nickel and diming is a big part of their business plan with the 360 and sadly, it seems to be working quite well.

Wait... the 20 gig PS3 can use USB wifi device? This is news to me.

Barnolde

Banned
OldJadedGamer said:
Wait... the 20 gig PS3 can use USB wifi device? This is news to me.

What? I never said it could (or mentioned the PS3), though it would not surprise me if it worked without a hitch on the PS3.

EDIT: I don't think it can use a USB device. Good thing they don't make the 20GB anymore, right?

soco said:
you can also buy a router that supports bridging and has ethernet ports on it...

If you can find a good deal on the right one this may be the least expensive way...outside of ICS of course, but that may not be a convenient option.

widgetraf

ICS gives moderate NAT at best. This was my first option until I tried viewing certain MP content (Movies/TV Shows) and it didn't load for me.

Buy a used MS Adapter off Craigslist for $60. That's what I did.

Chris R

Yea it would be cool if you could use a USB dongle to do wifi, or plug in your own hdd instead of having to shell out for the official product.

Wonder if another revision is somewhere down the line that would include wifi and allow custom hdds... Might get a 360 then :D

Tobor

My time is more important to me to be honest. I would rather just plug in the $100 adapter and have it work instantly.

My roommate and I both have the official adapter, no fuss, no muss.

Barnolde said:
What? I never said it could (or mentioned the PS3), though it would not surprise me if it worked without a hitch on the PS3.

EDIT: I don't think it can use a USB device. Good thing they don't make the 20GB anymore, right?

They are still being made and sold in Japan as we speak.

NekoFever

If you're planning on having multiple systems there get a wireless router that can operate in client mode. It connects to your existing wireless network and divides that online goodness between whatever's connected to its ethernet ports. I have one in my room that's connected to the 360, PS3 (downloads seem much faster over a wired connection, even one that's only wired as far as the router), HD DVD, and Xbox. No more worries about whether or not a piece of hardware has wi-fi.

Barnolde

Banned
rhfb said:
Wonder if another revision is somewhere down the line that would include wifi and allow custom hdds... Might get a 360 then :D

No, never.

OldJadedGamer said:
They are still being made and sold in Japan as we speak.

Really? I'm pretty sure Sony's trying to just make the 80GB the main SKU. Good thing we don't live in Japan.

soco

gregor7777 said:
If you can find a good deal on the right one this may be the least expensive way...outside of ICS of course, but that may not be a convenient option.

yeah an ancient computer works and ICS works very well. doesn't even need a monitor after its set up. best way is probably install one of the special linux distributions for this kinda thing. ancient computers are pretty easy to find now and a USB wifi adapter and an ethernet card/ or usb adapter can be had for like 20-30$

S

Shepherd

Unconfirmed Member
I use Zyxel P-330W. Amazon has them for $38.99 but if you look around you can find them even cheaper.

edit: Just checked and Amazon has a rebate of this item so you can get it for $13.00.

I'm stupid with networking stuff. How does a wireless bridge work? Do I just plug it into the wall next to my 360, then connect it to my 360 via ethernet? Are there certain things I should look out for?

Sorry...I can set up a basic network in my apartment, but I'm just a little worried about buying some 3rd party thing that I'll find incompatible with my 360. Anyone who's using a bridge - what would you recommend?

Thanks again :D

- edit -

Just read Shep's reply. I might buy that.

zedge

Shepherd said:
I use Zyxel P-330W. Amazon has them for $38.99 but if you look around you can find them even cheaper.

edit: Just checked and Amazon has a rebate of this item so you can get it for $13.00.

This looks interesting. Does it just run from your current wireless router?

S

Shepherd

Unconfirmed Member
zedge said:
This looks interesting. Does it just run from your current wireless router?

I have my Zyxel set to bridge mode and it connects wirelessly to my Linksys router. The Zyxel bridge is in the family room and I have my 360 and my wife`s computer connected to it by ethernet cable. Works great.

zedge

Shepherd said:
I have my Zyxel set to bridge mode and it connects wirelessly to my Linksys router. The Zyxel bridge is in the family room and I have my 360 and my wife`s computer connected to it by ethernet cable. Works great.

Very cool. With the CDN dollar being on par this is an awesome deal.

Found it on Amazon with the rebate as stated. Nice.

*edit

well apparently they dont ship this item to Canada... grr

Jtrizzy

I use ICS with my 20 gig PS3 and it works well. Eventually I will probably get a dedicated adapter so i don't have to run the cord from my laptop to the PS3.

I'm not sure if a wireless adapter would be faster though, so I'm kind on the fence about buying the Linksys for example.

Shepherd said:

So, I could have my wireless router still in my bedroom which is on the second floor and it'll wireless connect to the zyxel in my living room?

I just want to be clear on this.

S

Shepherd

Unconfirmed Member
Forgotten Ancient said:
So, I could have my wireless router still in my bedroom which is on the second floor and it'll wireless connect to the zyxel in my living room?

I just want to be clear on this.

Yes.

OldJadedGamer said:
The $499 20 gig PS3 didn't have it either... also, the DS is the B standard where you are looking for the G standard at least for online gaming.
uh, B is 11mbit/s

that's faster than most people's cable or dsl connection, and more than adequate for online gaming

Just get an ethernet bridge. Even the original wireless bridge for the Xbox works on the 360 and you can find those for around $40-$50 bucks.

I've had a bridge for years since the PS2/Xbox weren't wireless so I'm just using the same one I had for those two systems on the 360.

20 gig PS3 says hello
they haven't made a wifi-less ps3 in almost a year.

The Faceless Master said:
uh, B is 11mbit/s

that's faster than most people's cable or dsl connection, and more than adequate for online gaming

they haven't made a wifi-less ps3 in almost a year.

I was using b on my 360 and it was crap, games were laggy and voice was awful, I noticed I was barely getting 3-5mps so I upgraded to G and all my problems were resolved.

Wireless is not that great for gaming, wireless is prone to interference which can effect gameplay, you dont really notice it when surfing the web, I use wired normally and wireless only when my GF makes me play upstairs (in my own house bitch!)

The 360 adapter is also 802.11a compatible which, while not explaining all of the cost does help explain why it is more expensive. Apparently 802.11a is recommended for streaming HD video from your PC (media extender) because it has no other devices use its frequency. I use the D Link gaming adapter it works like the official one in that it can be set up from within the 360 dashboard and gives you its signal strength.

Top Bottom