• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This week's Famitsu news [Sept 26, 2007] (Kingdom Hearts and more?)

ethelred said:
In that Nomura doesn't have truly great approaches to story, visuals, and music, and in that he's made quite a few bad games which casts the whole "he's driving thw quality at Square" bit into a dubious light, I think the wrongness of the remarks is evident.

I was hoping you'd name some games.

Jonnyram

Jesus christ, Bebpo. If Crisis Core, aka press O button until game ends, is the definition of quality, then fuck Square Enix. KH was awesome, but I'm not at all enamored by the stuff Nomura is doing recently. I semi-dread FFXIII even though I've been a massive FF whore since VII. Thank christ there are more level-headed people like Tanaka at that company, or they'd be in the shit heap quicker than you can say Fabula Nova Crystalis.

Bebpo

Banned
ethelred said:
In that Nomura doesn't have truly great approaches to story, visuals, and music, and in that he's made quite a few bad games which casts the whole "he's driving thw quality at Square" bit into a dubious light, I think the wrongness of the remarks is evident.

I also don't have any idea why he's being given credit for the Crisis Core story (done by Kazushige Nojima) or by music done by Takeharu Ishimoto, whose tenure at Square predates Nomura's rise, and whose compositional style was displayed before Nomura made his first game (when Ishimoto did the bonus track for Vagrant Story).

KH2 was fantastic despite flaws.

Jupiter was a shitty dev team and working with Nomura suddenly they churn out a portable GoTY-worthy title.

Tabata and crew really hadn't done much and working with Nomura suddenly they churn out a portable GoTY-worthy title

Those are the latest involvements of Nomura, and guess what they all have the pattern of being great. Nomura has a strong hands-on approach these days with the games he's working on and I'm pretty sure he's the one coming up with the experimental and stylish battle systems + cutscenes we saw in IAWW & CC. Something I expect to see in all the KH games as well.

Bebpo

Banned
Jonnyram said:
Jesus christ, Bebpo. If Crisis Core, aka press O button until game ends, is the definition of quality, then fuck Square Enix. KH was awesome, but I'm not at all enamored by the stuff Nomura is doing recently. I semi-dread FFXIII even though I've been a massive FF whore since VII. Thank christ there are more level-headed people like Tanaka at that company, or they'd be in the shit heap quicker than you can say Fabula Nova Crystalis.

As opposed to FFXII where you don't even have to hit O until the game ends, am I right? Or FFX by Kitase where it's called FF"X" because "all you have to do is hit X until the end" (quoting sho'nuff).

People always give FF games shit for being too simple and easy. CC's upper 50% quests are harder than anything in FFX/X-2/XII and require tons of planning and execution.

Ceb

Jonnyram said:
KH was awesome, but I'm not at all enamored by the stuff Nomura is doing recently. I semi-dread FFXIII even though I've been a massive FF whore since VII.

Good thing Nomura's only doing character designs for FFXIII then. I'm sure you can find another excuse to be skeptical about it though!

Kyoufu

Bebpo said:
As opposed to FFXII where you don't even have to hit O until the game ends, am I right? Or FFX by Kitase where it's called FF"X" because "all you have to do is hit X until the end" (quoting sho'nuff).

People always give FF games shit for being too simple and easy. CC's upper 50% quests are harder than anything in FFX/X-2/XII and require tons of planning and execution.

I couldn't agree more.

I hope BBS takes away the Triangle "Reaction" commands, because they required no timing. The drive system was also really cool, but ultimately pretty useless since I didn't use it once when I beat the game. The abilities that you gained though were nice but I'm sure Nomura can come up with a better way to get them. Also the Magic in KH2 was useless, the only one I ever used on a regular basis was Reflect.

Jonnyram said:
so you feel bitter that they relocated the definitive button from X to O ?

Jonnyram

Ceb said:
Good thing Nomura's only doing character designs for FFXIII then. I'm sure you can find another excuse to be skeptical about it though!
It's not a good thing that FFXIII is a multi-game franchise from the design phase. Anyway, I'm sure this subject has been done to death already, and there's no need to keep repeating it until the game comes out. FFVII's sequels and prequels have done nothing positive for the original game at all, unfortunately.

nelsonroyale, the button was always O in the Japanese versions, and I'm sure it will be X in the US version of Crisis Core. Don't panic.

ethelred

Jonnyram said:
nelsonroyale, the button was always O in the Japanese versions, and I'm sure it will be X in the US version of Crisis Core. Don't panic.

ulMAvRONM.jpg

jiggle

Wow, BbS looks hot, as expected. Actually, all 3 games look pretty good. Can't wait. :D

Which team is doing Dissidia? Is Nomura doing only character redesigns for it?

Troidal

Jonnyram said:
If Crisis Core, aka press O button until game ends, is the definition of quality, then fuck Square Enix.

D:

I guess you hate the game Jonny? :/

I'm tired of overly complicated RPG systems. These days, I look at games that are just fun and entertaining, and Crisis Core is definitely doing exactly that for me.

...but...this is coming from the guy who got bored of Dead Rising, Lost Planet, Gears of War, Bioshock, God of War II, et al :lol As Shane Bettenhausen told me once, "I have no soul". :/

Ceb

Jonnyram said:
It's not a good thing that FFXIII is a multi-game franchise from the design phase. Anyway, I'm sure this subject has been done to death already, and there's no need to keep repeating it until the game comes out. FFVII's sequels and prequels have done nothing positive for the original game at all, unfortunately.

Oh, sorry. I thought you were talking about FFXIII as in the game, not FNC. You're right that the discussion's been had, but I feel I have to point out the main difference between FNC and the Compilation of FFVII:

FFXIII, Versus and Agito = not connected.
FFVII, AC, DoC and CC = connected.

Jonnyram

No, I don't hate it. It's mindless fun. I wouldn't want that system in a mainline FF title though. We all need brainless button mashers from time to time.

Lobster

Banned
neo2046 said:
NDS ASH - 9 / 8 / 8 / 8
PSP Gundam Battle Chronicle - 8 / 8 / 8 / 8

PS2 Pawafuru Major League - 8 / 8 / 7 / 7
Wii Pawafuru Major League - 8 / 8 / 7 / 7
PS2 DBZ Sparking Meteor - 8 / 8 / 8 / 8
Wii DBZ Sparking Meteor - 9 / 8 / 8 / 8

Very good score. Should surpass the 1st ones sales (which were 100k) I hope it catches on in the rest of the world. I'd love me some DBZ online battles.

soul

Thanks for the scans. The games are looking great..

Update: some info from kh-2.net:

The thorns and castle from "Sleeping Beauty". (Which ultimately means Maleficient has a greater role than what we thought, aye?)

Ven, who looks pretty much like Roxas, is seen a few times here.

Where Terra's head is. It looks more like Destiny Islands than Twilight Town?

Third image only further confirms Terra of being the playable character.

Ven in the Olympus Coliseum in the second image.

The 14th Org. member is seen in the fifth image.

Character profiling on the sixth page. Yesh.

It's the little Sora and Riku scene! Awww!

The image with Terra putting his hand on Ven's shoulder is the "thank you, Ven" scene.

On the sixth page which features Mickey holding his Starseeker, and you see Ven behind him. Yes, that's the "Mickey protects fallen Ven" scene.

justchris

ethelred said:
That's what I'm doing. I'll wait for people to play it. "Battles take too long" is a retarded complaint for an SRPG -- if the game has flaws, I'm sure the actual gamers will be able to point them out. :lol

I agree. Unless a single battle takes more than a full day, I don't see how it could be too long, unless it's that long and also boring.

Jonnyram said:

or does it change from game to game...I cant remember....just a rubbish cheap, joke...

Personally Im more excited than ever for FFXIII, given that it should incorporate elements from FFX and FFXII...

PSP Gundam Battle Chronicle - 8 / 8 / 8 / 8

O_O

When's the release date on this? I thought it was due at the end of the year! I loved me some Battle Royale and considering this game is in the same vein... *fanboy splooge*

duckroll

Nice horse! I hope the 29th Nov date sticks for the Xbox360 version. Another delay and I fear for the production of this game.

andy_lhc

Zeed said:
Nevermind what I said then, it's late and I'm tired. Though if they kept the battle system I can't see it being much more compelling than the original.

...Was KH2 FM+ released internationally?
Nope....KH2 FM+ released only in Japan..But the artbook is really nice..:D

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
Bebpo said:
Yeah, Nomura took Jupiter and made them great. Nomura took Tabata and made him great. There's no reason to think he won't do the same with these KH games.

He's basically the guy driving the quality at Square these days. He has great game design ideas and approaches to both gameplay and story, as well as visuals/music. He seems to bring out the best in those around him.
Nomura has great ideas for story concepts, but he sucks at directing stories IMO. The only game directed by him where the story was decently directed was the original KH, and even then it was far from perfect. When it comes to story directing, the best one still working for SE at the moment is probably Toriyama, although I might be forgetting someone else.

IMO, Toriyama + Kitase + Nojima = great combination. Although Nomura + Tabata + Nojima worked very well on CC as well.

Bebpo said:
Yeah, Nomura took Jupiter and made them great. Nomura took Tabata and made him great. There's no reason to think he won't do the same with these KH games.

He's basically the guy driving the quality at Square these days. He has great game design ideas and approaches to both gameplay and story, as well as visuals/music. He seems to bring out the best in those around him.
Agreed. Nomura is a big reason I like many Square Enix games (that he's involved with). I'm excited to see how Kingdom Hearts on PSP and DS turn out (KHII rocked IMO).

Aeana

cvxfreak said:
I'm going with digicam pics at a bit of a lower resolution than previous weeks. I received my scanner from the U.S. today and will use it for future threads, so please bear with me this week. :D

Dragon Quest IV

Dragon Quest IX

Well, thanks. They're kind of hard to read, but I'll manage.

It's nice to see that the background on the top screen changes with the time of day, in DQ4.

Thanks! :D

DQIV looks so awesome. The interface and the 2D monsters look great. The DQIX scans show nothing really new screenwise, but nice as well.

Aeana

Yeah, I don't see anything new in the DQ9 one, which is a shame... but expected. I really like the upper screen background changing with the battle scenes in DQ4, though, and also how the portrait comes down to the bottom screen when selecting commands for that character. And also the DQ5r-style monster nameplates!

Aeana said:
Yeah, I don't see anything new in the DQ9 one, which is a shame... but expected. I really like the upper screen background changing with the battle scenes in DQ4, though, and also how the portrait comes down to the bottom screen when selecting commands for that character. And also the DQ5r-style monster nameplates!
I like that touch too. It gives the battles a bit more of a dynamic feel without (hopefully) slowing anything down.

Septimus

I'm betting Birth by Sleep will look even better than the PS2 games since it will more than likely use the full 333Mhz. Oh and does anyone know what resolution PSP games play when you use the new video out thing?

Aeana said:
Thanks a bunch. :)

The focus on the network play aspect of DQ9 is still quite worrisome. :\

I think it's to be expected since that's the big new thing. Horii already said that the single player should be standard Dragon Quest, so for me, I'm not worried.

Top Bottom