• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This week's Famitsu news [Sept 26, 2007] (Kingdom Hearts and more?)

Ceb

soul said:
· Nomura says the PlayStation 3 hardware plays a huge part in the development of both projects, and by using it "all visions can come true". He says that visual-wise both Final Fantasy XIII and Versus XIII are superior from any former title in the franchise, and they are "close to perfection".

· As in any interview, Nomura was asked about the game's exclusivity. This time he mentioned that the TGS 2007 trailers had the writing "for PlayStation 3 ONLY". He says it's an advantage for one team to concentrate on one console, even if some fans are disappointed.

Scan

And yet the gaming blogs are gonna ignore this and wait on the next vague statement from Square Enix management that includes the term "multi-platform".

killakiz

soul said:
This week Nomura was interviewed by Famitsu, but no new details have emerged. Here's a translation I wrote:

· Nomura was never involved in the creation of any Final Fantasy title as deeply he is right now, and he likes the fact he can take Final Fantasy Versus XIII where he wants it to be.

· Nomura says the PlayStation 3 hardware plays a huge part in the development of both projects, and by using it "all visions can come true". He says that visual-wise both Final Fantasy XIII and Versus XIII are superior from any former title in the franchise, and they are "close to perfection".

· As in any interview, Nomura was asked about the game's exclusivity. This time he mentioned that the TGS 2007 trailers had the writing "for PlayStation 3 ONLY". He says it's an advantage for one team to concentrate on one console, even if some fans are disappointed.

Scan
wait tgs final fantasy trailers? where did i miss something?

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
SolidSnakex said:
You didn't, they were in Square's closed theater and haven't been released to the public.
I don't even think putting them in there mattered at this point, I mean Star Ocean 4 and Dragon Quest IX trailers weren't in there and we still haven't seen those either. It's not like the closed theatre was closed to the public. Though people did pay more attention to them because they were in there...

ethelred

Ceb said:
And yet the gaming blogs are gonna ignore this and wait on the next vague statement from Square Enix management that includes the term "multi-platform".

Maybe because it's their call and not Nomura's? Shinji Mikami said he'd cut his own head off -- look where that got RE4.

Certainly Nomura's comments should be publicized (and the trailer tag HAS been), but you seem so peeved at the idea that media might continue to report on statements made by the people running the company...

Defuser

wsippel said:
Fans not buying the games is SQEX' loss, isn't it...?
More like sales would be the same regardless multiplatform or not so might as well stick to one platform.

Besides SE don't have monies for Multiplatform due to high quality production.

jj984jj said:
I don't even think putting them in there mattered at this point, I mean Star Ocean 4 and Dragon Quest IX trailers weren't in there and we still haven't see those either. It's not like the closed theatre was closed to the public. Though people did pay more attention to them because they were in there...

I don't know how Square does it, but they somehow really make sure their trailers don't get out there.

wsippel

Banned
Defuser said:
More like sales would be the same regardless multiplatform or not so might as well stick to one platform.

Besides SE don't have monies for Multiplatform due to high quality production.
I don't know. I actually think it might sell at least a little better if it were multiplatform (or exclusive to some other platform). At least that's what I get when I talk to some more casual gamer friends of mine. Sure, it's only a thought based on anectodal evidence and some logic...

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
ethelred said:
Maybe because it's their call and not Nomura's? Shinji Mikami said he'd cut his own head off -- look where that got RE4.
Bingo.

Nomura is a character designer by default. Not a game financing decision maker.

Defuser

ethelred said:

Certainly Nomura's comments should be publicized (and the trailer tag HAS been), but you seem so peeved at the idea that media might continue to report on statements made by the people running the company...
yeah because Capcom = Square Enix

ethelred

Defuser said:

Didn't say they were (and personally, right now I'd put the odds if a port pretty low). That being said, if ever the day comes where Square Enix decides it's necessary to adopt a multiplatform strategy for FFXIII, the decision isn't going to be Nomura's to make.

This is all moot theorizing at this point anyway since the games aren't coming out until 2011.

rakka

XHitoshuraX said:
Its unreal how good the DS version looks...hmmm well I suppose now we know the BM is Xehanort, well the original one at least.

to be honest the DS version doesn't look as good as I'd hoped it would.

Eteric Rice

ethelred said:
Didn't say they were (and personally, right now I'd put the odds if a port pretty low). That being said, if ever the day comes where Square Eniz decides it's necessary to adopt a multiplatform strategy for FFXIII, the decision isn't going to be Nomura's to make.

Agreed.

I also don't believe the whole "our dreams can be realized" thing he's spewing. While you can sure as hell do a lot more now, I wouldn't say their dreams are being realized if they're still relying on CG cutscenes to get many action scenes across.

I can't wait until next generation, they'll finally (hopefully) be able to ditch CG (cept maybe in the introductions).

Defuser said:

The idea that there's some deep fundamental difference here between Capcom and Square-Enix that will leave the latter's exclusive franchises pristine and unsullied by port-related trollopdom is totally ridiculous. SE's executives will make porting decisions the same way everyone else does -- if it seems like it's a better plan for their profit margins, they'll do it.

At this point we really do have to wait and see -- just like with Capcom, any number of exclusives can change if the landscape is right for it. (Or they might not -- again, it's not certain either way.)

Eteric Rice

charlequin said:
The idea that there's some deep fundamental difference here between Capcom and Square-Enix that will leave the latter's exclusive franchises pristine and unsullied by port-related trollopdom is totally ridiculous. SE's executives will make porting decisions the same way everyone else does -- if it seems like it's a better plan for their profit margins, they'll do it.

At this point we really do have to wait and see -- just like with Capcom, any number of exclusives can change if the landscape is right for it. (Or they might not -- again, it's not certain either way.)

I'd kind of consider SE a worse offender, considering how many times they've re-released Final Fantasy I - VI.

Pachael

ethelred said:
Didn't say they were (and personally, right now I'd put the odds if a port pretty low). That being said, if ever the day comes where Square Enix decides it's necessary to adopt a multiplatform strategy for FFXIII, the decision isn't going to be Nomura's to make.

This is all moot theorizing at this point anyway since the games aren't coming out until 2011.

I agree. If any moneyhats are involved, Nomura will have to suck it up. Don't think this will happen for any of the FF13 stuff though - I wonder if it was his decision to put KH on all available portable platforms?

Eteric Rice

Pachael said:
I agree. If any moneyhats are involved, Nomura will have to suck it up. Don't think this will happen for any of the FF13 stuff though - I wonder if it was his decision to put KH on all available portable platforms?

Maybe, but he has done a DS game before.

Though, it seems people assume he hates Nintendo. I've never really seen any evidence of this. Same with Kitase.

Eteric Rice

inner-G said:
Good point.

I don't care if my console 'wins', as long as I get Final Fantasies with Roman numerals after them, I'll be fine. :D

I mean high end developers vs. head of company, not consoles. :p

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
what's going on with the ds cutscene shots that don't have that ps1 grittiness? fmv? or has square devised a way to produce ds bullshots? :eek:

Should I be excited about Kingdom Hearts DS? Or is it more of a "filler" title? :/

Birth by Sleep looks pretty good. Another reason (for me) to buy a PSP.

Aeana

I was glossing over the new DQ9 scan again, and I noticed something...

In the info box, it says ニンテンドーWiFiコネクション対応予定 (Nintendo WiFi Connection support scheduled). Of course, next to that, it also says DSワイヤレスプレイ (DS Wireless Play), so the WiFi part could just be for something dumb like trading items.

But I found it interesting, nevertheless, since it was supposed to be local wireless only.

allen1982

Banned
Yeah, both Wifi and Wireless play have been mentioned in that box since Day 1. Let's hope they are pulling a "SSBM" on us and surprise us with a "it's on WiFi!" annoucement in the future.

so basically, posters on Neogaf know better than an exective producer whats going on....ffxiii was never and is never going to another console, unless sony goes bankrupt...there is a possibility that other games in the FFXIII project will go to 360 but not these two... No square exec ever hinted that these two projects might be multi plat, just that other future projects might go to other systems...Infact I dont think any ff games will be multiplat, just they will put different games on different systems.... Its funny though, if you are desperate for the games , get a ps3...simple

justjohn

nelsonroyale said:
so basically, posters on Neogaf know better than an exective producer whats going on....ffxiii was never and is never going to another console, unless sony goes bankrupt...there is a possibility that other games in the FFXIII project will go to 360 but not these two... No square exec ever hinted that these two projects might be multi plat, just that other future projects might go to other systems...Infact I dont think any ff games will be multiplat, just they will put different games on different systems.... Its funny though, if you are desperate for the games , get a ps3...simple
bu bu bu 600 dollarz.

Aeana

allen1982 said:
Yeah, both Wifi and Wireless play have been mentioned in that box since Day 1. Let's hope they are pulling a "SSBM" on us and surprise us with a "it's on WiFi!" annoucement in the future.

I checked an older Famitsu scan, and you're right. I guess I just didn't notice it before.
So, this definitely means nothing. If nothing has changed, then the multiplayer is still local only.

nelsonroyale said:
so basically, posters on Neogaf know better than an exective producer whats going on....

Posters on NeoGAF understand that creative types in the industry have their desires overridden all the time by the suits, yes.

Drek

rakka said:
to be honest the DS version doesn't look as good as I'd hoped it would.
I have to agree. The gap between cinema and gameplay is pretty huge (obviously) and the gameplay doesn't knock your socks off. At this point I'd take the technically less impressive Phantom Hourglass or DQ9 graphics because they do a good job conveying the art style without cutting my eyes. FFIV still looks to be the big convergence between technology and art style on the platform as well.

That said, its early and I'm sure SE has a lot more polishing to do. It'll be very interesting to see just how much cinema they include though as thats some pretty high quality stuff, must fill those flash carts pretty fast with it (biggest DS game ever?)

Bebpo

Banned
drohne said:
what's going on with the ds cutscene shots that don't have that ps1 grittiness? fmv? or has square devised a way to produce ds bullshots? :eek:

They are fmvs done on the PS2 engine and recorded. Same as CoM on GBA.

charlequin said:
Posters on NeoGAF understand that creative types in the industry have their desires overridden all the time by the suits, yes.

But nobody at square has said that the games announced for ps3 might go to another system...so the possibility is mute until the comment arises...plus I hardly think the rest of the company wasnt aware of nomura's statement, hence it was put down on the actual video...same as Infinite discovery...will that game hit ps3 I wonder, since sales probably wont be amazing on 360?
I dont think it will, plus its tri-ace, not a huge seller anyway

Link1110

I know it's pretty much in the bag that they WILL, but did Square announce a special edition DS to sell with FF4 yet?

Top Bottom