• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Confirmed: 40GB PS3 hits U.S. November 2nd for $400, 80GB gets $100 Price Drop

Confirmed: 40GB PS3 hits U.S. November 2nd for $400, 80GB gets $100 Price Drop

Jack Tretton, President of Sony Computer Entertainment has now confirmed that the new 40GB PlayStation 3 will make it's way to the U.S., releasing on Novemeber 2nd, for a retail price of $400.

If that wasn't good enough, Tretton also confirmed that the 80GB version will be getting a hundred price cut, dropping it from $600 to $500.

Link: PlayStation Universe

ps3_02.jpg

Wollan

Why have you pictured the white one?
Edit: Because that site has. Why do they have it pictured? Anyways.. Woo-hoo for US.

Barnolde

Banned
Nothing surprising here.

Regarding bundles:
40GB is going to be bundled with Spider-Man 3 on Blu-ray.
I think the 80GB will be bundled with two games; Motorstorm and maybe Ratchet?

Wollan

Barnolde said:
40GB is going to be bundled with Spider-Man 3 on Blu-ray.
I think the 80GB will be bundled with two games; Ratchet and Motorstorm maybe?
That's the 60GB in Europe. US doesn't have a Starter Pack (I'm guessing the MotorStorm bundle will be replaced with a clean 80GB package for 499$?).

Barnolde

Banned
Wollan said:
That's the 60GB in Europe. US doesn't have a starter pack (I'm guessing the MotorStorm bundle will be replaced with a clean 80GB package for 499$?).
I know.

I just think that Sony will just add another game to the existing 80GB Motorstorm bundle since MS has a two-game bundle like they did last-gen. My guess was Ratchet, because it's new, it's quality, it's a great technical showcase annd it's rated E10+ (Forza 2 is E) and Motorstorm is like Marvel: UA, it's a light T, not that violent compared to something like Quake Wars.

Wollan said:
Why have you pictured the white one?
Edit: Because that site has. Why do they have it pictured? Anyways.. Woo-hoo for US.

The White PS3 is pictured because it helps people to relate the 40GB PS3 better to the news. If it was a picture of the black PS3 it could be thought of as the 20GB, 60GB, or 80GB.

It's amazing(in both good and bad ways) how much Sony have cut from the PS3's price so soon.

I totally expect a $200-$300 40gb by Spring 08 so I'm holding very firm and not buying one until it hits $300.

now that I think about it, I don't really have anything I want to play now or in the future so I can wait down to $200, even.

xaosslug

i know the official announcement is coming, and it's just a matter of time, but is this really confirmation? I mean, the site says Jack Tretton confirmed this and that, yet incl. no quotes... :lol

bluheim

Banned
shagg_187 said:
80GB FTW. Seriously, why would anyone go for 40GB now is beyond my imagination... :)

It's 100$ cheaper. People who don't care about BC could buy a huge (and faster) 2,5" HDD with 100$.

Wollan

titiklabingapat said:
I totally expect a $200-$300 40gb by Spring 08 so I'm holding very firm and not buying one until it hits $300.
You won't see price movement before next fall now and expecting a hundred more at that time (with all the games released and releasing at that time), expecting a hundred drop next fall is probably pushing it. And you're raving mad for believing 200$ anytime this decade.

justjohn said:
umm shouldnt they cut the 60gb as well to clear it much faster?
60GB, 95% BC vs 80GB 85% BC (both @ $499)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
legend166 said:
Aren't you early adopters pretty annoyed?

I mean, a $200 price cut in one year?

1) It's good for the platform, and the future of the platform for everyone. I think everyone, including early adopters, recognises the importance of getting the price down, even if they were happy to pay a higher price themselves.

2) The old models have one of two features important to some people, perhaps especially early adopters, like BC. Might even make their systems collectable in years to come.

3) They've had an extra year with the system.

legend166 said:

If you bought it then you were comfortable with the purchase for what you got. I got mine with the second price drop(second PS3, returned the other) and felt comfortable with the $400 price tag. I got the PS3 for its media capabilities and overall design appealed to me, I got my Wii for the great Nintendo games and a new way to play. Both were long decisions but I felt it was worth it to get both even though they had their "problems".

The price payed for the PS3 was well worth it. I didn't have a DVD player, Bu-Ray player, HD device or anything. And I got that all for $400 and our entire family uses the PS3 to watch movies and more.

The people that bought it then knew what they were getting into. Besides, companies change stuff all the time and yes I wish I could have gotten mine for $300, but the extra $100 is already gone and I'm not losing sleep over it.

I got my PS3, Wii, HDTV in one shot and the $1600 was a lot of money and I had my doubts(Who doesn't after spending that much) but once it's payed off and you're having fun. I don't really mind...that money was my "spend" money and would have been spent on something else anyway.

But I digress. Cheaper prices mean more people will get one to increase the community, so it's a good thing for everyone.

Barnolde

Banned
titiklabingapat said:
It's amazing(in both good and bad ways) how much Sony have cut from the PS3's price so soon.

Keeping a $600 SKU around for a year, not bad.

now that I think about it, I don't really have anything I want to play now or in the future so I can wait down to $200, even.
*You've encountered a troll!*

Troll: 80HP

Finish
Fight
Magic
Run
Feed

*You select Feed*
KAZd00d selects 'arsenic' to *Feed* to the Troll
MASSIVE DAMAGE: Troll hit for 599 HP!
*Troll FAINTS*

Kyoufu

Good news. Surprised the white 40GB is being released in the US. Please Sony give me a white 60 or 80GB PS3. Please ;(

Snah

Banned
Not really. It's not really a 200 price cut...still more like a 100 price cut. I'm sure a lot of early adopters wanted full BC....hardcore Sony fans, in other words.

I'm not pissed, if anything I'm happy because this means more PS3 sales. Price is the main issue holding the machine back. I'm more pissed over a 200 price cut on the iphone I purchased in a matter of 2 months.

I wouldn't count on another price drop for a while, btw.

Maybe next christmas it drops down to 299. I doubt it will any sooner.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
shagg_187 said:
80GB FTW. Seriously, why would anyone go for 40GB now is beyond my imagination... :)

your imagination can't stretch to the idea that someone wants a PS3, doesn't want to spend more than $400, and doesn't have a burning need to play PS2 games on it?

legend166 said:

no, this isnt like the iphone where it is just difference in cost.

perfect PS2 BC on the PS3 is so damn good, not even the 80 gig one will have that.

Barnolde said:
Keeping a $600 SKU around for a year, not bad.

*You've encountered a troll!*

Troll: 80HP

Finish
Fight
Magic
Run
Feed

*You select Feed*
KAZd00d selects 'arsenic' to *Feed* to the Troll
MASSIVE DAMAGE: Troll hit for 599 HP!
*Troll FAINTS*
What's wrong with my expectations?

I wans't planning on owning a PS3 until it's very cheap and a few years into iot's lifespan but the rate of it's price tag reduction is tempting. What's wrong with me wanting a very cheap PS3?

If it's any consolation, I'm not touching a 360 until it hits $170 or below.

Wollan said:
You won't see price movement before next fall now and expecting a hundred more at that time (with all the games released and releasing at that time), expecting a hundred drop next fall is probably pushing it. And you're raving mad for believing 200$ anytime this decade.

Everyone thought Sony cutting the price by $200 barely a year in was pushing it, too ;)

icecream

Public Health Threat
legend166 said:
The only difference is if I knew it ahead of time then I wouldn't have picked one up. It's difficult to be annoyed at something you can't change.

Although a white version makes getting a new one tempting...

I wonder how many people will buy the 40GB and expect to be able to play PS2 games on it.

titiklabingapat said:
Everyone thought Sony cutting the price by $200 barely a year in was pushing it, too ;)
40GB PS3 is only $100 less than the 20GB was.

DIrtyWeasel said:
I wonder how many people will buy the 40GB and expect to be able to play PS2 games on it.
Probably not many.

I just don't think BC is *that* big of a deal. I wish Nintendo forgot about the GC myself, since that console never really became mainstream so there's really no point.

Wollan said:
And in 09 it will be free.
Why not :p

It would be an interesting business model since both MS and Sony lose money right now anyway.

Barnolde

Banned
titiklabingapat said:
What's wrong with my expectations?

I wans't planning on owning a PS3 until it's very cheap and a few years into iot's lifespan but the rate of it's price tag reduction is tempting. What's wrong with me wanting a very cheap PS3?

If it's any consolation, I'm not touching a 360 until it hits $170 or below.

You expect a $200 price cut within 4-5 months and then go on to say it has nothing to play on it. I don't know, you tell me what's wrong with your 'expectations'.

SouthernDandie said:
This'll make the PS3's October NPD drop like a rock.
Looks like it'll have a good November though.
When do Ratchet and Uncharted launch?
October 30th, iirc. Just in time for the price drop.

Barnolde said:
You expect a $200 price cut within four months and then go on to say it has nothing to play on it. I don't know, you tell me what's wrong with your 'expectations'.

Read again. I said nothing interests me. I never said there is nothing to play for everyone else.

And another price cut during the release of GTA IV and MGS is not that unreasonable. Especially during GTA IV.

Darkman M

DIrtyWeasel said:

40GB PS3 is only $100 less than the 20GB was.

:lol I can only imagine the look on that misinformed persons face when he/she tries to pop a ps2 game in.

Costumer: Does teh PS3 play ps2 games

bestbuy worker: Sure does

Costumer: Greatz ill take teh $400 one.

bestbuy worker: Good buy would you like a replacement plan with that?

Costumer: No thanks.

Top Bottom