• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Confirmed: 40GB PS3 hits U.S. November 2nd for $400, 80GB gets $100 Price Drop

kay

Wollan said:
Pretty sure the 23rd is just a EB screw up, it's still 30th by Sony's/Insomniacs word.
The playstation site updates slower, they take dates from retailers probably.

Kittonwy

Banned
Snah said:
November 20th for Uncharted.

Drake's Schicksel ftmfw rawr.
Indifferent2.gif

Wollan

Kittonwy said:
Drake's Schicksel ftmfw rawr.
Indifferent2.gif
Surfing Amazon atm, kudos must be given to ND for the cover.
61BwtE8C2uL._AA280_.jpg

Very iconic and to the point with the title wide and proud in the middle.
Probably my favorite cover this year, beating UT3 (with the three blood streams).

Elios83

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=conewsstory&refer=conews&tkr=SNE:US&sid=aDU0grCHGfa0

Sony Cuts PlayStation 3 Price by $100 to Boost Sales (Update1)

By Michael White

Oct. 18 (Bloomberg) -- Sony Corp., the world's biggest maker of video-game consoles, cut the U.S. price of a PlayStation 3 model by 17 percent and introduced a less-expensive version to spur holiday sales.

The PlayStation 3 with an 80-gigabyte hard drive was cut to $499 from $599, Jack Tretton, head of Tokyo-based Sony's U.S. video-game unit, said in an interview. The reduced price is effective immediately, Sony said in a statement today. The company also introduced a $399 model with 40 gigabytes of storage that goes on sale Nov. 2.

Sony is taking the steps to narrow the price gap with Nintendo Co.'s Wii and Microsoft Corp.'s Xbox 360. PlayStation 3, which includes a high-definition Blu-ray movie player, is the most expensive game console. Wii sales in the U.S. have more than doubled those of PlayStation 3 since the two machines were introduced last November. Sales also trail Xbox 360, which got a boost this month from the release of the ``Halo 3'' video game.

``Without this, it wasn't looking like there would be much action for PlayStation 3 this holiday,'' Billy Pidgeon, an analyst at research firm IDC in Framingham, Massachusetts, said in an interview. ``This is going to make retailers very happy.''

Lower prices may lift holiday PlayStation 3 sales as much as 50 percent by attracting avid game players and consumers shopping for a high-definition DVD player, said Michael Pachter, an analyst with Wedbush Morgan Securities in Los Angeles.

Sony shares rose 0.6 percent to 5,430 yen at the close on the Tokyo Stock Exchange. The stock climbed 6.5 percent this year, compared with a 0.7 percent decline in the benchmark Nikkei 225 Stock Average.

`Spider-Man'

The $399 model comes with a Blu-ray DVD of ``Spider-Man,'' highlighting the console's movie-playing abilities.

``Putting a movie inside the box is very smart,'' Pachter said in an interview.

Sony may sell as many as 450,000 PlayStation 3 consoles in November and almost 1 million in December, Pachter said. Consumers have purchased 6.3 million Xbox 360s, introduced a year earlier, according to NPD Group Inc., a Port Washington, New York-based researcher.

Tretton said Sony's holiday marketing will stress the Blu-ray player in addition to game play. He declined to say how much the company will spend.

Sony's American depositary receipts rose 57 cents to $46.60 yesterday in New York Stock Exchange composite trading. The ADRs, each worth one ordinary share, have gained 8.8 percent this year.

Previous Cuts

The price cuts follow similar moves in Japan and Europe. Sony said on Oct. 9 it would reduce prices in Japan and begin selling the 40-gigabyte model there on Nov. 11. The model went on sale in Europe Oct. 10.

The cheapest Xbox costs $280. The most expensive model, the Elite, goes for $479. The Wii sells for $249.

Sony may need to cut prices further to come close to matching the more than 120 million PlayStation 2s sold worldwide, Pachter said.

About 90 percent of PS2 consoles were sold after prices fell to $199 or less, Pachter said. The PlayStation 2, priced at about $129, still outsells PlayStation 3. In August, consumers purchased 202,000 of the consoles, compared with 130,600 PlayStation 3s, according to NPD.

Tretton said the older console's popularity is one of Sony's strengths.

``The PlayStation 3 is gravy,'' he said.

Wollan

So $499 80GB is effective today, nice.
Question now is where do people find these..

Edit: And ey, Spiderman 3 BD confirmed for 40GB. That's really good actually.

Elios83

Wollan said:
So $499 80GB is effective today, nice.
Question now is where do people find these..

Probably an official press will come out this morning in the US.
There are still a few details unclear (if the 80GB bundle with Motorstorm will stay the same or they're planning new bundles and what's the state with 60GB units).

smurfx

get some go again
finally sony can say they aren't selling a console for 599.99 and people can't point to it when bashing the system.

Amir0x

Banned
Nice to see the 80gb get that 100 dollar price drop. Which will mean the highest SKU now is only $500, officially no longer making PS3 "$600DOLLARSUUUU!!!11"

Which is nice.

One more 100 dollar drop for the 80gig and I'll be E

jey_16

Banned
so many console variations, its becoming crazy....in previous gens you basically had the same console being sold for its entire life

Sony ofcourse had the major revisions with PSOne and PSTwo, but they were atleast a few years in

with the 360 we have had the Core, Premium, Elite, Halo 3 edition and now Arcade

the PS3 has had 20GB, 40GB, 60GB, 80GB and maybe even a 120GB?

this is all within 1-2 years, it will really confuse the average consumer....i'm happy with my 60GB and i will never own a Wii but maybe Nintendo got it right, simpler is better

one of my friends said its similar to how Microsoft sell so many editions of Visa (Starter, Basic,Home Premium, Business, Ultimate) while Apple just sells one

xbhaskarx

The biggest problem with these continuous price drops is not that it may piss off the Sony fan base who payed way more for a PS3 at launch.

Potential customers (like me) who want a PS3 but are in no particular rush may wait a few more months hoping for yet another price cut since they seem to happen every few months. Prices tend to drop post-holidays, so maybe it will be $50-100 cheaper in early 2008?

Aggelos

NoUseMercenary said:
Sweet! I want to go buy one now...too bad the 80GB arent white.

-Yes and I want a 80GB, but its not available in Europe.
-And when it becomes available in Europe, I'd rather have it in Silver colour.
-And when it becomes available, I'd rather have a 120GB PS3.
-And when it becomes available, I'd rather have a 40GB Silver one, because the 120GB is way too expensive.
-But wait, by then, the 40GB will have been discontinued.... So I'd rather have a 60GB silver one with full BC for 400 Euros.
-But hold on a sec, the 60GB makes too much noise, I want it to be truly silent so I'd rather have a second-hand 40GB in a bargain price.
-Noooo, the 40GB won't have BC, so I'd rather have a second-hand 20GB for a truly cheap price.
-Shit, 20GB is inadequate space and its an old model, so I'd rather have.....

GQman2121

Banned
I wonder if the new 60 gigs that are still on sheleves are going to see any kind of a cut.

What about the used models at GS? They're going for $449 right now.

faust666

Reuters version:

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Sony Corp (6758.T) will launch a cheaper model of its PlayStation 3 in the United States, hoping to attract more buyers as it goes up against rival game consoles from Microsoft and Nintendo this holiday.

The company also cut the price of its highest-capacity model by about 17 percent.

The new version of the PS3 will come with a 40-gigabyte hard drive, cost $400, and go on sale on November 2, said Jack Tretton, president of Sony Computer Entertainment America.

The price of the 80-gigabyte version will be cut to $500 from $600.

The 40-gigabyte model has already made its debut in Europe and Japan, and was widely expected to come to the United States ahead of the crucial year-end shopping season that accounts for the largest single chunk of annual video game software and hardware sales.

"I think the educational curve is starting to be broached with the general consumer," Tretton told Reuters in an interview, when asked about his expectations for the PS3 through the end of the year.

Sales of the PS3, which has a built-in Blu-ray drive for playing high-definition DVDs, have lagged those of Microsoft Corp's (MSFT.O) Xbox 360, which comes in versions costing from $280 to $450, and Nintendo Co Ltd's (7974.OS) Wii, which costs $250.

Sony had previously offered a 20-gigabyte model but stopped making it earlier this year and cut the price to clear out inventory after finding most customers were opting for higher-capacity versions.

For the new 40-gigabyte PS3, Sony has removed its ability to play games for the predecessor PlayStation 2, which is still selling strong despite its aging technology.

"We're choosing to focus on the PlayStation 2 consumer with the PlayStation 2, which remains incredibly relevant, and focus on the PlayStation 3 consumer with the new 40-gigabyte model and the great software coming out," Tretton said.

"Backward compatibility is a nice secondary consideration, but it's far from the number-one priority."

I guess Sony is going to introduce the 80GB SKU in Europe as soon as the 60GB SKU is totally sold out.

60GB + 2 games + 2 controllers = 499€
80GB + 0 games + 1 controller = ???

Uhm...better be 449€ for that or 499€ with (at least) 1 game.

JB1981

I *might* buy a second 60gb for back-up BC purposes. Yes, I went there.

And good on Sony for going in this direction. A lot of people didn't want to believe.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
legend166 said:
Aren't you early adopters pretty annoyed?

I mean, a $200 price cut in one year?

I bought my 60GB from a friend for $300. It had been used once. I'm pretty pleased.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Darkman M said:
:lol I can only imagine the look on that misinformed persons face when he/she tries to pop a ps2 game in.

Costumer: Does teh PS3 play ps2 games

bestbuy worker: Sure does

Costumer: Greatz ill take teh $400 one.

bestbuy worker: Good buy would you like a replacement plan with that?

Costumer: No thanks.

Because the first thing on everyone's mind when they buy a PS3 is "does it play PS2 games?"

Gawd, not this horrible debate again.

With this change, I finally get the feeling that Sony has found their balance between price and hardware offering. I actually feel like I'm getting my money's worth with that price, but I also don't feel that Sony's giving it away either. I think this price will stick at least through the 2009 holiday season.

It must have been a hard lesson for them to learn that they needed to base their price from a consumer's value point of view.

jjasper

I bought one in January and I am not annoyed. I have enjoyed the system since then and will always have the most complete version of it. I paid more and I got more in comparison to the 40gb so it is hard to complain. The people that going to be annoyed are the people that were convinced Sony wasn't going to drop the price of the 80gb and went out and bought a 60 @$499 or an 80 at 599 instead of waiting for the 80 to drop.

Edit: It is smart to include a movie in the box. You know what isn't smart? Not including any HDMI/component cables so 80% of the people that buy it won't be playing it in HD

jett

D-Member
Damn Sony has pricedropped this sunnavabitch real quick. At this rate I'll be buying one next year, as long as it comes back from the dead.

I'm an early adopter and i'm not annoyed. I knew at some point they were going to a BC software type emulation (80 gig) so i made sure to get a 60 gig this spring and i've been digging the console.

I also think getting the console to $400 is only a good thing, so that the console can hang in there and be a viable console.

Havoc

Banned
legend166 said:
I'm annoyed, I just got a 80GB last month! I expected a gimped out cheaper model out for the holidays, not a $100 price drop on the high end. Oh well, Warhawk has been great.

Uh, what happens to remaining 60GBs? Does anyone think retailers will be having blowout sales on them?

It's going to be impossible to sell them vs 80GBs with two bundled games, but they can't price it too low or 40GB is fucked. I hope I can get one on Black Friday for sub-$400.

legend166 said:

why would anyone be annoyed? thats the price you pay for purchasing a well known product when it is first released. i am happy with my 60gb ps3 and my full bc. only thing i'm annoyed about are all these free games and blu-rays that new buyers are getting.

Chemo

legend166 said:

Not even a little bit... I'd much rather have people adopt the platform than to have my $200 back.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
legend166 said:

Some of us early adopters were smart enough to grab the 20GB version while it was offered. I'll take full hardware BC for PS2 and Talledega Nights over no PS2 BC, SpiderMan 3 and a $100 discount any day :p

Now they just need to lower thatn 40GB by $100 and i might consider buying one.

(No this isn't a troll i'm serious. I have been waiting for PS3 to hit $299 for awhile)

Kosma

Banned
ManDudeChild said:
Now they just need to lower thatn 40GB by $100 and i might consider buying one.

(No this isn't a troll i'm serious. I have been waiting for PS3 to hit $299 for awhile)

11 months amirite?

Top Bottom