• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Confirmed: 40GB PS3 hits U.S. November 2nd for $400, 80GB gets $100 Price Drop

Man, this gimped 40 gig ps3 makes the original 20 gig one look awesome. Like someone said, if a store goes on a crazy clearout of the 20 gb one for $350 I might be tempted. The only thing I would miss would be WiFi.

Firewire

Banned
Donkey Thong said:
Man, this gimped 40 gig ps3 makes the original 20 gig one look awesome. Like someone said, if a store goes on a crazy clearout of the 20 gb one for $350 I might be tempted. The only thing I would miss would be WiFi.

Were are these 20GB's because I haven't seen one in my area in more than 6 months.

Evlar

Banned
Just heard this news on the radio. They mentioned the PS3 price was dropping by $100 but also that both the 360 and Wii are cheaper.

Kosma

Banned
Donkey Thong said:

Yeah this new 100$ cheaper PS3 model is so gimped, it only plays all those darn PS3 games and BR movies that every other version does. Plus it has WiFi.

We hardly knew ye 40gb PS3 :_(

-_-

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Clipjoint said:
80GB PS3 $499 - $100 Sonystyle.com Credit = $399 for 80GB with BC (or $299 for 40GB)...I'm sold!!

That's a kick ass deal.
I should buy the 80GB and return my 60GB lol.
Not that big on BC

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Donkey Thong said:
The only thing I would miss would be WiFi.
If you're interested in having more than one of these networkable consoles near your TV then you're probably better off hooking them directly to a network bridge anyway, which could be wired or wireless, as needed.

theBishop

Banned
Donkey Thong said:

Its a matter of priority. For Sony, obviously they believe their future is in the network: Home, user-generated content, digital distribution, episodic content, etc. So the 40GB is set up clearly to boost the userbase so they can have critical mass for all these network applications going forward.

Getting the price down is a necessity. If they had to cut Wifi or BC to get there, Wifi is the more important feature going forward. Including BC doesn't really get them anything strategically at this point. And there's still the 80GB for people that do find it important.

Dave Long

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
Now where's Dave Long at? Didn't he say this wasn't going to happen?
They're clearly backed into a corner and the PS3 will likely end up just like the Gamecube/Xbox of last generation. I don't think anything can save it at this point.

You just don't do this during the Holiday season unless you've got a gun to your head.

Kosma

Banned
Zyzyxxz said:
Hmm an idea? Maybe Sony should offer early adopters a coupon for a free game or something.

That's what Sega did with Saturn and MS with the Xbox in Europe.

see what I did there?

jarrod

Banned
Good moves on Sony's part.... I wonder of we'll see another round of cuts and rebundlings for Sony and MS next spring alongside GTA4?

Aggelos

oo Kosma oo said:
Not really. Even the PC emu scene has been struggling to emulate the PS2 via software only. Sony could do it prob, but I don't think it's worth their money because beside all the bitching of a vocal minority it's not a huge selling point.

In other words those who buy 40GB PS3s won't have the chance to play PS2 games on their PS3. Besides it doesn't have memory card slots.
I am being skeptic, because currently I only want to play PS3 games, but later on who knows....

Kosma

Banned
Aggelos said:
In other words those who buy 40GB PS3s won't have the chance to play PS2 games on their PS3. Besides it doesn't have memory card slots.
I am being skeptic, because currently I only want to play PS3 games, but later on who knows....

I would advise any gamer that still wants to play PS2 games to stear clear of the 40gb and buy a 60/80gb one.

It's 100$ difference but if you're absolutely sure you will replay PS2 games then go for it. But ask yourself this: how much time do you really have to replay old games when new ones are coming out all the time?

oo Kosma oo said:
That's what Sega did with Saturn and MS with the Xbox in Europe.

see what I did there?
SEGA gave Virtua Fighter Remix, which was a game you could get exclusively through registering the Saturn. Still the definitive version of VF1 in my opinion, if one is so inclined as to play a kludgy prototype.

Redd

oo Kosma oo said:
I would advise any gamer that still wants to play PS2 games to stear clear of the 40gb and buy a 60/80gb one.

It's 100$ difference but if you're absolutely sure you will replay PS2 games then go for it. But ask yourself this: how much time do you really have to replay old games when new ones are coming out all the time?

.....I still play PSone games myself(Tomba 2 bitches). Good thing the 40gb model can at least do that.

Kosma

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
SEGA gave Virtua Fighter Remix, which was a game you could get exclusively through registering the Saturn. Still the definitive version of VF1 in my opinion, if one is so inclined as to play a kludgy prototype.

I never got Remix. I got VF 1 and VF2 though <3

I do feel that CCE is the definitive Daytona though....

GhaleonEB

Man. It's NPD day and here Sony (and to a lesser degree MS) are making announcements that will make October and November even more interesting.

The BC issue aside, good on Sony for responding to the market this way.

VonGak!

Banned
Aggelos said:
-Yes and I want a 80GB, but its not available in Europe.
-And when it becomes available in Europe, I'd rather have it in Silver colour.
-And when it becomes available, I'd rather have a 120GB PS3.
-And when it becomes available, I'd rather have a 40GB Silver one, because the 120GB is way too expensive.
-But wait, by then, the 40GB will have been discontinued.... So I'd rather have a 60GB silver one with full BC for 400 Euros.
-But hold on a sec, the 60GB makes too much noise, I want it to be truly silent so I'd rather have a second-hand 40GB in a bargain price.
-Noooo, the 40GB won't have BC, so I'd rather have a second-hand 20GB for a truly cheap price.
-Shit, 20GB is inadequate space and its an old model, so I'd rather have.....

Now do the same with the 360.

After all Microsoft introduced this plague (Core, Elite, xBox 360, Arcade), SCE is only playing catchup in the SKU race (20GB, 60GB, 40GB, 80GB).

Then we can praise Nintendo for not doing so but then again they are selling hardware for much more than it's worth (which is fully legit due to the supply : demand ratio and lack of competition).

----

I feel like puking when I see grown up people at Gaf calling the 40GB a $200 price-drop when it's clearly a followup to the 20GB SKU.

Please use your heads please, it's clearly a $100 price drop ad the 40GB doesn't even have B/C.

But something tells me that people aren't that ignorant and that it's just crusaders trying to make the price drop seem bad (sad sad sad). :(

Madman

kaching said:
I dunno, downloadable PS2 games on PSN would certainly pique my interest.
Aren't PS2 games sometimes up to 5 or more GBs?

Oh yeah: I called it. PS3 is now 400 dollars before years end. I would go digging up the old quotes, but the people who told me I was wrong know who they are (or they don't, doesn't matter to me, I was right wither way).

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Well there it is. The pricing structure Sony needs to make a come back.

Good luck this Xmas Sony. May the force be with you!

Madman

twinturbo2 said:
Yeah, you're right, but PSN has no size limits, and it's easy to upgrade the HDD, so that shouldn't be a problem.
I wasn't questioning space or size limits. I was questioning 20 hour downloads.

jarrod

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
It was still only 30fps for some reason though, with less polys than the Model 1 original. :/

Even stranger, AM1 made the game, not AM2.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
GhaleonEB said:
Man. It's NPD day and here Sony (and to a lesser degree MS) are making announcements that will make October and November even more interesting.

The BC issue aside, good on Sony for responding to the market this way.
NPD is today?!

GhaleonEB

cjelly said:
NPD is today?!
Yup. :D

Sony is showing that they're willing to do what it takes to get back on track. I think MS lost a lot of opportunity by sitting on their launch price for 21 months, then making the paltry cuts they did. And now the Arcade is rolling out at $280 - when it should be $250. Sony can and should be criticized for their weird, rapid-fire SKU shuffle, but getting to $400 this holiday is going to do wonders for them. Next year is now a wide-open field.

Wollan

jetjevons said:
Well there it is. The pricing structure Sony needs to make a come back. Good luck this Xmas Sony. May the force be with you!

Worldwide no less. I'm thinking there's a lot of PS3's devs pleased to see it go below the 400 (40 000yen) barrier in each market just in time for Christmas.

Firewire

Banned
Wollan said:
Worldwide no less. I'm thinking there's a lot of PS3's devs pleased to see it go below the 400 (40 000yen) barrier in each market just in time for Christmas.

Yeah this should make SE very happy. :lol

Good job Sony, now people can't complain about price anymore!

Shins

Banned
Darkman M said:
:lol I can only imagine the look on that misinformed persons face when he/she tries to pop a ps2 game in.

Costumer: Does teh PS3 play ps2 games

bestbuy worker: Sure does

Costumer: Greatz ill take teh $400 one.

bestbuy worker: Good buy would you like a replacement plan with that?

Costumer: No thanks.

Followed by the average gamer saying "eh, whatever," tossing his PS2 games in a closet, and playing Madden '08 PS3.

gcubed

Dave Long said:
They're clearly backed into a corner and the PS3 will likely end up just like the Gamecube/Xbox of last generation. I don't think anything can save it at this point.

You just don't do this during the Holiday season unless you've got a gun to your head.

"I wasnt wrong, Sony am utterly doomed to fail"

You're amazingly emabarassing at times

Firewire said:
Yeah this should make SE very happy. :lol

Good job Sony, now people can't complain about price anymore!

People didn't/don't still complain about the 360's price?

I'd say, at this price point, Sony has a much better chance than they did at $599 of at least duplicating MS' Holiday '06 in the states (1.6 million sold over November/December).

legend166 said:
Aren't you early adopters pretty annoyed?

I mean, a $200 price cut in one year?

Not in the slightest. For one, with this BC debacle Sony has actually given us some value for our investment. And hey, this is how shit works. The TV I bought in January of this year is now $300 cheaper.

And holy crap @ the resident assclowns trying to spin this into a negative. Fucking pathetic.

Firewire

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
Not in the slightest. For one, with this BC debacle Sony has actually given us some value for our investment. And hey, this is how shit works. The TV I bought in January of this year is now $300 cheaper.

And holy crap @ the resident assclowns trying to spin this into a negative. Fucking pathetic.

My T.V. is about $550 dollars cheaper now, in just over 9 months.

Shit my car went on sale 2 months after I bought it. $1000 cash back & a new luxury package included.

AltogetherAndrews said:

We don't always see eye-to-eye, you and I, but today, we do.

Dave Long said:

:lol :lol :lol :lol

bounchfx

this is, what, the fourth ps3 hardware solution? Isn't that more than the amount of great games they have?

...why would I even want to buy this for 400$?

I'm not against the price anymore... but then again, it was never as important as amount of worthwhile games.

mgs4 pls

tanod

when is my burrito
Ponn01 said:
-Memory card adapter that only works one way and is only good once then you feel like shit for wasting 15 bucks on a one use item.

To be clear, this was fixed back in June. 2-way communication now.

Madman

bounchfx said:
this is, what, the fourth ps3 hardware solution? Isn't that more than the amount of great games they have?

...why would I even want to buy this for 400$?

I'm not against the price anymore... but then again, it was never as important as amount of worthwhile games.

mgs4 pls
:lol It's just getting out of hand now.

Top Bottom