• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

Tieno

LukeSmith said:
If I have character X use an ability that knocks shields down, it will be 45 seconds or so until that ability is ready again, that period where it is unusable (while it recharges). Mezzing is taking an enemy and putting them out of combat, Sap in WoW or Stasis in this game freezing them for 11 seconds or so, (more the more points you invest in it). If i'm fighting a ton of dudes and have three stasis in my party, I'll start off the fight and try and freeze three guys and kill a couple more while those guys are frozen, that's all.
Thanks! I'm not always in the know with the new street lingo these days.

methodman

Banned
Sallokin said:
FUCKING YES!!! Kmart pulled through for me today! Asked the dude if they had any in the back, he walked back with a copy and said "It says 'Do Not Sell Until 11/20/2007', but our computer is letting me sell them. Here you go."

Will post my character later.

You lucky ass. There's absolutely no K-Mart with in 50 miles of me. They've all closed down in the San Jose area because no-one went to them lol

methodman said:
You lucky ass. There's absolutely no K-Mart with in 50 miles of me. They've all closed down in the San Jose area because no-one went to them lol
I called a few K-Marts on the Peninsula and their were all wise to my schemes. :p I guess I'll wait until the 20th like the rest of the folks....

Naeblish

Sallokin said:
FUCKING YES!!! Kmart pulled through for me today! Asked the dude if they had any in the back, he walked back with a copy and said "It says 'Do Not Sell Until 11/20/2007', but our computer is letting me sell them. Here you go."

Will post my character later.

They are still selling? Wtf is this shit, i thought MS was on this.

methodman

Banned
Cornballer said:
I called a few K-Marts on the Peninsula and their were all wise to my schemes. :p I guess I'll wait until the 20th like the rest of the folks....

Yesterday I went to Yuba City to visit my grandpa, and I visited 3 different K-Marts, none of them had it either. Assholes! :)

Lonestar said:
You know what I like?

Not paying attention for all the months leading up to this games release. Just now reading anything about it, and I've only really got 1 week to wait for what seems like a great game.

Ignorance is Bliss, sometimes!

I agree. Last night I just watched my first Mass Effect video in over 10 months and now my hype meter has shot through the roof.

Tieno said:
Thanks! I'm not always in the know with the new street lingo these days.
No offense, but I am pretty sure those have at least been around since Everquest. Not exactly new.

But anyway, I am definately Mass Erect at the moment (especially since Thanksigiving break is going to coincide nicely and I get the week off from college).

Sallokin

Here's a picture of my character. I know someone was asking earlier for people to post them.

IMG_0356.jpg

Nif said:
Image size go:
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b306/niflheim15/masseffect1920x1080.jpg

The space backdrop and renders I was using weren't that big, so I'll just upload the PSD in case anyone wants to change it.

http://www.mediafire.com/?fdabdsjjggg

It sucks getting permission to distribute each one I find. :p You can get some good ones on Deviantart in the Wallpaper > Science Fiction section. I like the ones hameed has made.
Thank you.

And with that I think I'll avoid this thread untill I'm ready to open my copy and play it. Too much temptation.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
che's character is too close to Ashley Williams in the game. That would be like being the twin in the game of her for sure.

I'll post a pic of my character tomorrow when I have free time in between playing it.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Caspel said:
che's character is too close to Ashley Williams in the game. That would be like being the twin in the game of her for sure.

I'll post a pic of my character tomorrow when I have free time in between playing it.

My character looks nothing like Ashley Williams in the game.

Seriously now!

bigswords

Holy fuck, Mass Effect is banned in my country...holy mother fuck. I'm in a country where they train me to use real life rocket launchers, nades, explosives, assault rifles, close combat hand to hand fighting, insertion from helicopters and sea, drive armored vehicles. But PG rated sex in a game? No banned.

adg1034

bigswords said:
Holy fuck, Mass Effect is banned in my country...holy mother fuck. I'm in a country where they train me to use real life rocket launchers, nades, explosives, assault rifles, close combat hand to hand fighting, insertion from helicopters and sea, drive armored vehicles. But PG rated sex in a game? No banned.

Hmmm... Mandatory military service... Israel? Greece? Turkey?

B E N K E

soujiro_seta said:
Doesn't your character looks a little like Che's character? o_0

EDIT: This is Che's character..
1851896577_e6c99f9d61.jpg

Makes me wonder how Shepard's love interests plays out when you're a woman... I need to play it again :D

masterkajo

Djungelfrukt said:
Will there be a warning before the sex scene, so I can save before it and watch it over and over again!?
Yeah... like "WARNING! Sex Scene approaching!" :lol

No I guess there will be no actual warning but you can tell when it is going to happen just by instinct, I guess. Unfortunately, it will be too late to save then...

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
chespace said:
I would love to see everyone post pictures of the character they create. That would be really interesting to me. So do it!

You've messed around with the character creation options... can your dude have a beard? I'm talking a substantial beard here; none of this 5 o'clock shadow nonsense.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Here are some random screens from my samsung hdtv. A friend of mine got it early and brought it over to my house. :D

1996136254_1973d4821d_b.jpg

1996135854_9592f120be_b.jpg

1996135412_035200a2ea_b.jpg

1995334513_ec41e45599_b.jpg

1995328331_c93624f80d_b.jpg

1996128428_9262d066e6_b.jpg

The game definitely has that "epic" feel to it even from the very beginning. Some very nice texture and some model work as well. There are some pop-in issues(no biggie) and some of the character models remind me of the soldiers from Halo3(not a good thing). The game however does have a framerate issue from the 2 hours we've played so far. Some times it drops in the single digits for a couple of seconds. Definitely not locked at solid 30fps. But I could live with that because this is fucking Mass Effect.

That aside, I love the game's atmosphere. The design of the buildings and inside of them are very cool and sci-fi. Definitely a MUST buy for Sci-fi rpg fans. I'll provide more updates/screens if there's a demand. :D

Yes, more spoiler-free impressions the better.

Specifically what you think of individual skills, what are your favorites? Any cool combo's you've discovered? Tips?

CushVA

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/834/834650p1.html
There's a ton to see in Mass Effect, with side quests and planets to explore that will take you upwards of 15 or 20 hours to complete -- and that's not counting the main quest. There are so many requests for your services and options that it seems essentially impossible to storm through the game without getting your feet wet exploring the galaxy.

....While the planets and satellites you can explore follow the same general pattern, the side quests rarely do. Filled with detailed plotlines, each is distinct enough to be memorable in its own way. With a rough estimate of 15 or 20 planets that you can land on, there's quite a lot to take in.
Over on the Official Boards someone asked why there isn't a concrete number on planets

http://masseffect.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=597773&forum=104

Because until you have done 2 or 3 passes through the game, you likely haven't encountered them all.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Subarushian said:
Yes, more spoiler-free impressions the better.

Specifically what you think of individual skills, what are your favorites? Any cool combo's you've discovered? Tips?
We've just in the beginning of the game(2 hours lol) so I can't really give good tips yet on combos. But we went with the default Shepard, because the chicks you can make are ALL butt ugly.

I'm uploading more screens as I type. Does anyone know the thumbnail code so I don't have to post those big screens...or do you guys prefer the big screens?
Also, the first thing we did was turned OFF the film grain. I guess it boils down to personal preference, but I feel that a lot of people will play w/out it.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
SuperAndroid17 said:
Do you get cool looking helms/armor for your character? Does anyone know?
Yes...somewhat.
So far we've got three armor types(Light, medium & heavy) and within them you get different ones. My friends says that the upgrade system is very very similar to KOTOR.

KRS7

All that is between me and this game is finals week. I wouldn't even want this game now as it will certainly screw with my grades. But when the 20th rolls around I will be ecstatic. I will be done with school for the year while cozying up with GOTY, what could be better?

Sallokin

I've been playing all day and if I didn't have to work tomorrow I'd play all night. I finally got out of the citadel after roughly 3 hours of questing and exploring and now I'm free to roam the galaxy and explore the available systems. After about 20 minutes I turned off the filter though. I think it looks much better without it.

The only thing I need to know now is if there will be an OST. The soundtrack is amazing, even the elevator music is well thought out.

regarding the character creation (for females at least) I wish it could have gone a little more in depth. I mean look how close mine came to Che's and I honestly hadn't seen his before I played. The options for face construction are pretty robust, but when it comes to the defining characteristics like hair and eyes, I really felt there weren't enough choices.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
I swear, if I don't see this game at my doorstep tomorrow or the next day, Wal-Mart will be in some deep shit.

VonGak!

Banned
Kaako said:
Here are some random screens from my samsung hdtv. A friend of mine got it early and brought it over to my house. :D

The game definitely has that "epic" feel to it even from the very beginning. Some very nice texture and some model work as well. There are some pop-in issues(no biggie) and some of the character models remind me of the soldiers from Halo3(not a good thing). The game however does have a framerate issue from the 2 hours we've played so far. Some times it drops in the single digits for a couple of seconds. Definitely not locked at solid 30fps. But I could live with that because this is fucking Mass Effect.

That aside, I love the game's atmosphere. The design of the buildings and inside of them are very cool and sci-fi. Definitely a MUST buy for Sci-fi rpg fans. I'll provide more updates/screens if there's a demand. :D

There is! ^.^ And I'd like some of the galaxy map too... oh oh and menus.

Please do also tell about the variation in graphics (artistic, not technical) between the different planets. I'm so hoping for an exploration wow feel.

Kaako said:
Also, the first thing we did was turned OFF the film grain. I guess it boils down to personal preference, but I feel that a lot of people will play w/out it.
When I saw the game in motion I also hated the grain, i'll be turning it off when I get the game. Reminds me of the trails in Vice City, I hated that too.

Mudo

VonGak! said:
There is! ^.^ And I'd like some of the galaxy map too... oh oh and menus.

Please do also tell about the variation in graphics (artistic, not technical) between the different planets. I'm so hoping for an exploration wow feel.

WARNING: I'm not going to spoiler the following but it does explain a little about some of the planets, if you aren't wanting to read about that.

Real quick before I head to work. I am about 22 hours in now, and been on around 5 different planets. So far I have been on a volcanic-ish type planet with lots of rocky terrain, a moon that has the starry night as its sky (obviously since no atmosphere), that is just as barren as you would expect. A frozen, snowy icescape of a planet, A temperate-on-cool-side planet with muddy slick ground. I have noticed most of the planets feature LOTS of very big mountains, amazingly most of which my vehicle the Mako can traverse. There are lots of hidden things to find around on the planets and the quests, MY GOD the collection quests are staggering. I am out there scouring for dozens of different things now. I have also run across a derelict ship and had to investigate (not main plot related) and have received an order from command to investigate a guy who has gone crazy sorta like the Waco thing with a cult.

Overall this game is probably my favorite game. ever. It does have screen tearing and framerate issues, and loads textures in noticeably, but wow that just says more to how amazing the game is that I can look past all that to how incredible everything else is. Oh, and in direct response to the above question, honestly the planets so far have not been "artistically" amazing. They really have been mostly deserted places with lots of rocky terrain and a structure sometimes, with scattered things to find like debris, ore deposits etc. This is how these planets are supposed to be so there isn't much I can think of they could have done artistically to them. I do have a feeling that the planets for the "main plot" are going to be more what you are talking about. The ones I listed are just off-the-beaten-path destinations I have stumbled across that are by no means even required to visit.

no disrespect meant by this...but I dont have a 360...but if I get myself a laptop, Im going to get one which will be able to run this game because....!!!....!!!!! looks/sounds/will be fantastic

VonGak!

Banned
Mudo said:
Real quick before I head to work. I am about 22 hours in now, and been on around 5 different planets. So far I have been on a volcanic-ish type planet with lots of rocky terrain, a moon that has the starry night as its sky (obviously since no atmosphere), that is just as barren as you would expect. A frozen, snowy icescape of a planet, A temperate-on-cool-side planet with muddy slick ground. I have noticed most of the planets feature LOTS of very big mountains, amazingly most of which my vehicle the Mako can traverse.
Great variation and neat touches like no atmosphere are what does good graphics to me, texture resolution and such are of little importance when these things are done right.

Mudo said:
There are lots of hidden things to find around on the planets and the quests, MY GOD the collection quests are staggering. I am out there scouring for dozens of different things now. I have also run across a derelict ship and had to investigate (not main plot related) and have received an order from command to investigate a guy who has gone crazy sorta like the Waco thing with a cult.

Neat to hear that the sidequests got substance too ^.^ I hope they'll continue expanding on this franchise's universe as initially planned.

Mudo said:
Overall this game is probably my favorite game. ever. I does have screen tearing and framerate issues, and loads textures in noticeably, but wow that just says more to how amazing the game is that I can look past all that to how incredible everything else is. More later if you want it. On classes/skills etc

That makes sense.
GTA-SA didn't have technically great graphics but I felt so immersed when cruising between the cities and just the knowledge of being able to stray off and explore instead of being surrounded by walls makes me forget about draw distances/LOD.

Thanks for sharing. :D

Belgorim

nelsonroyale said:
no disrespect meant by this...but I dont have a 360...but if I get myself a laptop, Im going to get one which will be able to run this game because....!!!....!!!!! looks/sounds/will be fantastic
have fun waiting...

and btw... why don't you just buy a 360?

Top Bottom