• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Geometry Wars: Galaxies Thread of PEWPEWPEW [Wii/DS]

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
gwgalax.jpg

geowarsboxart071207.jpg

thumb_wiiad_1.jpg

Release Dates - Ship dates listed
Wii - Nov 20 (US & AUS?), Jan 18 (EUR)
DS - Nov 27 (US), Dec 15 (AUS), Jan (EUR)

Developers - Kuju Surrey / Bizarre Creations
Publisher - Sierra Entertainment
Platforms - Wii and DS
Genre - Shooter
ESRB Rating - E for Everyone (no descriptors)
MSRP - $39.99 (Wii) and $29.99 (DS)

Videos
Wii
http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/12642
http://media.wii.ign.com/media/908/908045/vids_1.html
http://www.gametrailers.com/game/5183.html
http://www.gamespot.com/video/939731/6173347/geometry-wars-galaxies-on-the-spot-demo

DS
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/26626.html
http://media.ds.ign.com/media/908/908047/vids_1.html

Features
Video
- Over 60 unique grids
- Battle Drone Helper (Upgradeable and Customizable)
- Currency system called "Geoms" used to unlock content or upgrade your drone
- Multiplayer (Versus and Co-op)
- DS Connectivity (with or without the DS version)
- Online Leaderboards
- 14 new enemy types (more than twice the original)
- Classic controller support

Development Blog
http://blogs.ign.com/GeometryWars/

Previews

IGN - http://wii.ign.com/articles/800/800796p1.html
When we first played Geometry Wars on Xbox 360, we were instantly hooked. Now that the franchise is on its way to Wii, we couldn't be happier, as the design is getting a complete overhaul for Nintendo's console, complete with far more modes, over double the amount of enemies (10 from the original game, plus 12 new ones), and a unique upgradeable "drone" unit to help kick the crap out of baddies. There's far more in Galaxies than we ever expected the Wii version to have, and we're dying to play more. Sierra, sneak us a copy. We promise not to tell anyone…

Gamespot - http://www.gamespot.com/wii/action/geometrywarsgalaxies/news.html?sid=6177037&mode=recent
While scoring a million points in Retro Evolved might be considered an achievement, the scores in Galaxies are going to put that to shame. It's apparently possible, with a few hours and zenlike concentration, to rack up a multiplier of 1000, scoring more than a billion points. We're told the game actually features a score cap of 25,000,000,000 points at the moment. We're curious to see who actually manages to hit it. Because both versions of the game are going to feature online scoreboards, we're sure someone will try.

1UP - http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3163624&sec=PREVIEWS
The vast content of the game is what we're really looking forward to, as it looks to be chock-a-block with replay value and various addictive game devices. One of the best additions is a companion Drone, with eight distinct behaviors to choose from -- Attack, Defend, Bait, Turret, Collect, Ram, Sweep and Snipe. Some are purely for the benefit of added firepower, while others like Bait offer a more interesting diversion option. You can level up all behaviors as you use them, and choosing which type to bring into which battle adds quite a bit of strategy to the game. You unlock new galaxies (there are 64 of them) by collecting Geoms in battle, which also serve as an additional score multiplier. Having to dive right back into battle to collect them from recently dispelled foes changes the Geometry Wars flavor a bit, but the extra layer of depth is welcome in the "full retail game" approach.

We saw a wide variety of new enemies and obstacles as well: Nufos, hovering eyes that pass through the playing field, avoiding your fire (they can't hurt you, but are worth a lot if you can get them); Darts, which swim back and forth quickly like evil red fish; Generators that spit out smaller enemies and can only be killed when they turn blue; Flippers, square, un-killable blocks that roll around the screen hindering your movement; and Mine-layers and their Mines, which can be set off in a Fantavision-like chain of explosions for huge scores. And thankfully, the game is still primarily about huge scores, as every level is infinite, with bronze, silver and gold medals to collect as your score rises (someone has managed a score of 21 billion as the high in Galaxies so far).

SCREENS
939731_20070925_screen005.jpg

939731_20070725_screen003.jpg

939731_20070710_screen007.jpg

939731_20070710_screen008.jpg

939731_20070629_screen003.jpg

Reviews

EGM - 8.5, 7, 8.5 Silver Award
John 8.5 - There is an enormous amount of variety to the level design...so much so that you may wonder if there are any ideas left that could be applied to the franchise in the future.. You'll find a lot of variety here, but it wins you over with an abundance of imagination and visual flair. What it doesn't win you over with, though, is the default control scheme.

Nick 7 - It's still a fun formula, and all of the additions are excellent -- but if you've played the original you won't ever be able to fully forgive Galaxies for its control quirks.

Jennifer 8.5 - With 64 levels, versus and co-op, and Retro Evolved included, Galaxies has tons to love, even if the standard control's busted

1UP - (John's 8.5)
http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3164502

IGN - 8.0
http://wii.ign.com/articles/836/836943p1.html
Geometry Wars Galaxies is about as hardcore of a game as you can get. The entire experience is based on survival, gaining a ton of points for surviving through insurmountable odds, and being quick with kill-all bombs in order to push score multipliers to the highest level possible. This is no casual game, so only retro fans need apply. If you were a fan of the previous Geometry Wars games (or hark back to the days of Super Smash TV, Heavy Barrel, and Total Carnage), you’ll absolutely love what Sierra has done with the design, as Geometry Wars Galaxies is more of the same, but a whole lot more of the same. On the other hand, the game is best suited for quick bursts of play, and still feels like a bulked up piece of download software, so it’s a shame that it hits the Wii at $40, rather than arriving on Wii Ware for a fraction of the cost.

GameInformer - 9, 8.5

DO WANT!

Played it at PAX and loved it. I don't care what anyone says, I am playing with the classic controller and that's that. Love the level up system with the little nubbins and collecting money to buy new stuff. Great music too.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Yep, I plan on buying both, though probably not until next year. Too many other goodies to get in the mean time.

Purchase to be decided based on what system(s) I own at point of game coming out.

In other words, almost 99% sure it'll be DS.

Amir0x

Banned
I'll get this probably when it hits $20 on Wii. It picked a pretty unfortunate time to come out, though...

ZealousD

I'm actually picking this up at the expense of a couple other games, simply because I expect this game to fail pretty hard in the retail space. That would make it difficult to get it at a later time.

mandiller

This game will devour much of my time and soul. I play the XBLA version so much and I enjoy Waves. I hope the DS version is actually good and faithfully reflects the series. Mobile time-waster. Oh yeah :D

Lee N

Membre
Amir0x said:
It picked a pretty unfortunate time to come out, though...

I agree. I want the game.. and I would pay full price for it too, but damn if they didn't select the worst imaginable date to release on. Too.. many.. games. *cries*

Where do I buy more time?

Lobster

Banned
Cyan said:
Wow, this is coming out at exactly the wrong time. Sorry Galaxies, I'm getting Galaxy this month. Oh God the confusion!

Maybe people will be confused and buy 600k copies of this game instead. Maybe thats what Sierra was hoping for?

The investigation continues..

Innotech

Banned
it makes me wonder why third parties knowingly schedule games like this with little advertising and on the same day/week as a huge first party release. Is there ANY benefit to this? Im genuinely curious.

Lobster

Banned
Innotech said:
it makes me wonder why third parties knowingly schedule games like this with little advertising and on the same day/week as a huge first party release. Is there ANY benefit to this? Im genuinely curious.

People buying Galaxy might say "hey look that game looks pretty cool too!" and buy it?

Eteric Rice

Innotech said:

So they can say "OUR GAMES DON'T SELL :((" and not support the platform.

sk3tch

I can't believe no one has posted this awesome print ad that they're running for this game:

4q774sk.jpg

Feel free to put it in the OP, if you like - it's hosted at TinyPic.

EDarkness

I'm pretty sure I'll pick this up at some point, but maybe not until the middle of next month since there are too many games to play.

angelfly

I'm definitely picking it up. I might not get the DS version if the DS version in the Wii version is good enough for being portable.

Shiggy

It's great to see that they delayed both version until February. It's great to live in Europe, still now I can buy Kurukuru Kururin and Wii Points :D

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
angelfly said:
I'm definitely picking it up. I might not gt the DS version is the DS version in the Wii version is good enough for being portable.

I have no idea what you are saying. Did you just get out of bed?

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
sk3tch said:
I can't believe no one has posted this awesome print ad that they're running for this game:

4q774sk.jpg

Feel free to put it in the OP, if you like - it's hosted at TinyPic.

That makes me want to get it day one. Oh fuck it. First day. Why not?

angelfly

AlternativeUlster said:
I have no idea what you are saying. Did you just get out of bed?

:lol I just fixed it. I was just saying since the Wii version lets you send Geometry Wars to DS that if it's satisfying as just a pick up and play then I may just pass on getting the DS version.

I have never played the Geometry Wars games, and as much as I read or see on them I still don't have a clue how they play.

Between this and Mercury Meltdown Revolution (for cheap), I'll probably get Mercury.

ZealousD

underfooter said:
I have never played the Geometry Wars games, and as much as I read or see on them I still don't have a clue how they play.

Geometry Wars is actually a very simple game at it's essence. On the 360 (and on the Wii if you use the classic controller), you basically move your ship with the left analog stick, while you shoot with the right analog stick. You'll basically automatically fire in the direction you point the analog stick. Then you have bombs that can clear the screen.

That's basically it. You shoot things in a small grid, but where you shoot things is totally independent of what direction your ship is facing. Most of the depth of the game comes from how enemies behave and spawn.

Geometry Wars is incredibly addictive. I really, really recommend that you give it a try. If you have a 360, download Retro Evolved. If you don't, head to any 360 demo kiosk in stores and play the demo.

speculawyer said:
Since I own PGR4, I already own this game, right?

No, you own Geometry Wars: Waves. Waves is a Geometry Wars game, but it's just a single level, compared to Galaxies having over 60.

GDGF

Soothsayer
underfooter said:

Between this and Mercury Meltdown Revolution (for cheap), I'll probably get Mercury.

It reminds me of Robotron 2084 in the way it plays. Really good game.

MisterHero

I think Nintendo Power (older issue, not v.222) mentioned that you can download the original Geometry Wars to the DS.

Though either the Wii or DS game is sure to be fun. :)

ZealousD

Visualante said:
Seriously I'M KEEPING A LIST and sending it to Santa.

GTFO. There's more than enough content in Galaxies to justify the price point. 60 more levels, over twice as many enemies, customize and upgrade your drone, co-op, versus, and DS connectivity.

People went crazy and were willing to pay $30 merely for pointer controls in RE4, but apparently $40 for all the things that are added in Galaxies is too damn much.

ZealousD said:
GTFO. There's more than enough content in Galaxies to justify the price point. 60 more levels, over twice as many enemies, customize and upgrade your drone, co-op, versus, and DS connectivity.

People went crazy and were willing to pay $30 merely for pointer controls in RE4, but apparently $40 for all the things that are added in Galaxies is too damn much.
False analogy ftl.

You fail to consider that Geometry Wars doesn't need all this extra shit, and stop pedaling DS connectivity as a selling point.

JDSN

Banned
Im getting this, the whole package looks pretty good and complete, you even get to piss off Visualante.

Avrum

Not sure if I want it for DS and Wii. DS mainly because at this time of year between work and school I really only have time for portable gaming, but the Wii would allow me to transfer the original (if not elements of the new game) to the DS and I can play it through that. I only want one version and I'm torn between the two. :(

Top Bottom