• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Sells 1,400 Wii's in Ten Minutes

Xeke

Banned
1400 Wii sold in ten minutes on Amazon
Posted by Spooky
In Wii
23Nov 07

With the Holydays just around the corner desperate parents are looking everywhere to find a Wii for their kids just in time for Christmas. Their chances of actually finding one are pretty slim though, as retailers across the world report incredible demand which they sadly can’t satisfy.

For example, last week, when the stock at Amazon was finally renewed, 1.400 Nintendo Wii were sold in just ten minutes, and Dixons.co.uk sold thousands of consoles in just 2 hours. The global shortage of Wii consoles made its price skyrocket on sites like Ebay, where some people are selling them for somewhere around $600 (second hand). And they actually might sell them since the only places where you can find a brand new Wii these days are the shops that are bundling them with 5 games at a very high price.

And it’s not like Nintendo isn’t producing enough consoles fast enough, poor guys are working their butts of to ship out 1.8 million systems a month but it’s just nowhere near enough.

I’d hate to be in the shoes of a parent telling his offspring he couldn’t get him what he wanted the most. It’s not like children understand about shortages, demand and such.

Source: http://www.gameater.com/400-wii-sold-in-ten-minutes-on-amazon/

Looks like the holiday shortages are in full order...

Link

The Autumn Wind
I for one welcome our new Nintendo overlords.

hail.jpg

Oops, how'd that get there?

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
Some guy in my school's network on Facebook was trying to sell a system for $650. If someone actually pays that much, then its time to start camping out overnight for eBay material.

Deku

Banned
Wii is popular, we already know this and that's all this says. It says absolutely nothing about what Nov NPD is going to be like.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
i still dont understand the appeal of that thing. Give me two sticks, shiny graphics, and games like Bioshock.

I wonder if its families buying it, or older non "gamer" types buying them for themselves or what? How many new casual gamers will there be after this holiday season?

HAOHMARU

Is Nintendo ever going to ramp up production? No way should anybody have to pay more than $250.

Ebay price gouging is a bitch and gamestop bundles for almost $600? No thanks.

Deku

Banned
Olaeh said:
One Million Wiis sold in November NPD.... that would be something to see.

Nintendo will find a way to undership. I heard they're holding back to create new demand. It's real, like the perpetual motion machine.

Andy787

Banned
I was one of those 1400. Makes me think that I probably should've bought two when I had the chance. Selling the second would've payed for both. :(

Xeke

Banned
Andy787 said:
I was one of those 1400. Makes me think that I probably should've bought two when I had the chance. Selling the second would've payed for both. :(

I'm pretty sure it's one per customer, unless you want to use a different credit card to a different address.

andthebeatgoeson

I’d hate to be in the shoes of a parent telling his offspring he couldn’t get him what he wanted the most. It’s not like children understand about shortages, demand and such.
Look, if my 8 yr old ass new enough to check the department store each day for 3 straight weeks about SMB3, then run down with 50 bucks in my hand the minute they let me know they had a copy left, then these re-re's will most definitely know/learn about shortages. We had shortages in our day too.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
Deku said:
Nintendo will find a way to undership. I heard they're holding back to create new demand. It's real, like the perpetual motion machine.

how hard is it to duct tape two gamecubes together and get them in stores anyway?

but seriously. undershipping to create demand is both brilliant and obnoxious.

Xeke

Banned
TeethMummy said:
how hard is it to duct tape two gamecubes together and get them in stores anyway?

Yeah, 1.8 million a month is under shipping...

Curse you Nintendo for having more consoles available than any other in history!

Deku

Banned
TeethMummy said:

supersilly.jpg

Alex

TeethMummy said:

By not being a douche, I can enjoy both the Wii and the 360! I bought Mass Effect and Mario Galaxy in the same week! FUCKING INTERNET MELTDOWN.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
sometimes I don't realize how ignorant I sound when I write things trying to only be half-serious. My apologies.

*leaves thread*

sphinx

the piano man
Deku said:
I heard they're holding back to create new demand.

I friend of mine that works with nintendo told me he once overheard Reggie and Iwata having a conversation.

Iwata told Reggie " great! we now have 4 million wiis stored in warehouses, and in 6 months we'll have 6 million! people will instantly want it if they see it's unavailable but we won't give it to them, they should suffer, the bastards. Soccer moms shall know pain and dispair and their kids will feel like rotting in hell.. GHAWWWWWHAHAHAHAHAHA "

andthebeatgoeson

TeethMummy said:
sometimes I don't realize how ignorant I sound when I write things trying to only be half-serious. My apologies.

*leaves thread*
You won't get anywhere on this board if you actually listen to criticism. Fuck it, keep posting.

Brashnir

sphinx said:
I friend of mine that works with nintendo told me he once overheard Reggie and Iwata having a conversation.

Iwata told Reggie " great! we now have 4 million wiis stored in warehouses, and in 6 months we'll have 6 million! people will instantly want it if they see it's unavailable but we won't give it to them, they should suffer, the bastards. Soccer moms shall know pain and dispair and their kids will feel like rotting in hell.. GHAWWWWWHAHAHAHAHAHA "

Apparently he missed part of the conversation. Just after that part, Iwata and Reggie were talking about putting an incinerator in the back lot specifically for the purposes of burning all the money they're making, just to rub it in everyone's faces.

Pellham

Banned
TeethMummy said:

*leaves thread*

You gotta learn to troll better. That's all I'm sayin'.

johnsmith

remember me
NotMSRP said:
Doesn't Nintendo pull this stunt every time with new hardware?

What stunt exactly? Selling an insane amount of consoles?

Seriously, anybody still pulling the "they're creating false demand by restricting supply" card is beyond moronic.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
NotMSRP said:
Doesn't Nintendo pull this stunt every time with new hardware?

Yeah, those darn DS consoles are still hard to find.

Curse them for shipping like a billion consoles when a billion and one would have sufficed.

Link

The Autumn Wind
papelnabangka said:
I got 7 today.:D
And you're planning to sell them at cost plus shipping to GAF members who couldn't find one otherwise? That's really cool of you.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
The evil part of me is wondering how much I can't get for my Wii on eBay around Christmas time.

dock

I'm so glad that I pre-ordered the Wii and got it on launch day.

Demand is insaaaane. Nintendo are selling a ton of hardware and the demand is still through the roof. It's weird that people say "it's impossible to get a Wii" and "the Wii sold 500k+ in USA this month" and "nintendo undershipped" at the same time. Who are those 500k people anyway?

When the Wii hits 40 million next christmas and demand is still massive people will still say "they undershipped to trick people into wanting it".

Top Bottom