• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

500 hours of Bubsy 3D. FIVE HUNDRED UNITED STATES HOURS.

Those screens remind me of what I loved about the 64-bit era- games like Blast Corps, Body Harvest and Pilotwings 64 had this eerie desolate feeling I just loved. Very dream-like and imaginative. I can only hope that style is revisited in the future.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Honest question: Is this a product of autism?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Ranger X said:
Related i would say. Asperger syndrome.

I mean, I wouldn't be calling out conditions if he was playing a game that wasn't total shit.

nli10 said:
This thread really separates the NTs from the NDs.

(and if you don't understand then you are probably NT...)

Yeah right.

I supposed people with ADD are just "neurodiverse". Have you ever met someone with autism? Given the choice I can't think of a sane person who would choose to live that way. People with autism don't know what its like to not have it. Its like asking a blind man "would you like to see". If they've never seen anything in their life, theres no reason for them to say yes.

AlexMogil

We're looking at him as an exhibit because he lets us. I have a feeling he looks at us like spectators.

"Since mid-2003, when I first tried the classic Sonic games, I've been extremely involved with drowning Tails, the two-tailed fox. I'd toss the fox in the blue water, wait 30 seconds (more if it surfaces) for it to drown and get the new fox in which I'll put that one in the blue water and repeat."

And hot damn I like the way he thinks.

Ranger X

thetrin said:
I mean, I wouldn't be calling out conditions if he was playing a game that wasn't total shit.

All in all it's alot of money wasted by the publisher since this guy alone must probably played 2 times more hours of that game than the rest of the people that bought it combined.

Chipopo

Banned
evilromero said:
Those screens remind me of what I loved about the 64-bit era- games like Blast Corps, Body Harvest and Pilotwings 64 had this eerie desolate feeling I just loved. Very dream-like and imaginative. I can only hope that style is revisited in the future.

so, so true. I really miss that feeling in todays games. Hard to really put my finger on why it was so appealing. Shadow of the Empire is another great example of this type of atmosphere.

Armitage

This guy is really something else, his writing style is kind of hypnotic even when talking about the most absolutely boring topic.

Dirtbag

beautiful_mind.jpg

This guy is like a god to Bubsy fans.

So, basically me. But to be fair I only liked the first Bubsy released on the SNES. No matter what any of you say it was fun and I need to get one for my SNES.

Jacobi

Banned
Armitage said:
This guy is really something else, his writing style is kind of hypnotic even when talking about the most absolutely boring topic.
Absolutely. His voice is also pretty charming, although you'd expect something else, because it seems as if he never made friends.

His ways of thinking are pretty interesting, but he is always only thinking of himself. And showers ARE efficient if you count in that other people don't have to tolerate your stank anymore.

I wonder how his games play though

evilromero said:
I can see what he finds aesthetically pleasing about the simple geometry of Bubsy 3D. The game environment he's crafted is very interesting and something I would most likely enjoy.

It's clear the guy is looking at games from an entirely different angle than your average person. The ability to track location seems to be a major appeal for him, something other people wouldn't even think about. And as he's someone who spends his life bisecting the angles of things around him, I can understand why he sticks with heavily geometrical 32-bit games.

He should play Rez.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
TheChaos said:
Whoa, this guy is like THE poster Asperger's Child. He fits EVERY SINGLE criteria for diagnosis a person with Aperger's.

yup. kind of neat to see so much into the mind of someone like this, especially since he appears to be pretty high functioning in his writings and math skills.

Xrenity

curryknight12 said:
Those screenshots look amazing. The colors chosen for the buildings seem to complement each other really well. The ground looks really appealing too.

Awesome. Just awesome.
You´ve got to be kidding me.

nli10

IronicallyTwisted said:
Yeah right.

I supposed people with ADD are just "neurodiverse". Have you ever met someone with autism? Given the choice I can't think of a sane person who would choose to live that way. People with autism don't know what its like to not have it. Its like asking a blind man "would you like to see". If they've never seen anything in their life, theres no reason for them to say yes.

Does teaching kids on varying points of the autistic spectrum count as meeting one?

Neurodiversity is the concept that just as people are happy with different levels & kinds of athletic ability people can be happy with different levels & kinds of cognitive abilities. So EVERYONE is neurodiverse, same as we are all of varying sizes shapes & colors.

Blindness and 'extreme' Autism might be things that no sane person would wish to give to their children, but they are very different to other so called disorders on mild end the Autistic spectrum that many, many people (with jobs & families) live with quite happily. Just because you can't choose how your mind works doesn't mean that you can't appreciate what perceptions you have.

My original comment was more intended to comment at the posters who were going 'OMG his a mental' contrasting to the posters saying 'huh, I do that sometimes too'.

It's absolutely fascinating. It begs the question that if someone is obsessive enough, can they learn anything? I don't think I've ever spent 500 hours on any one single thing--I wonder what could be accomplished. His knowledge of spacial geometry and mathematic calculation(see his MonkeyBall video on youtube) just serves his quirky purposes, and may not be an offshoot of a high-intellect person (one who acquires and comprehends information speedily).

He seems like the type of guy that is completely alien to the concept of not doing something because he doesn't know about it. If he was willing to invest 500 hours in 1 level of a shitty 3d platformer, clearly he must be willing to invest as much time as needed to understand a concept he is ignorant of.

M3wThr33

Banned
nli10 said:
Does teaching kids on varying points of the autistic spectrum count as meeting one?

Neurodiversity is the concept that just as people are happy with different levels & kinds of athletic ability people can be happy with different levels & kinds of cognitive abilities. So EVERYONE is neurodiverse, same as we are all of varying sizes shapes & colors.

Blindness and 'extreme' Autism might be things that no sane person would wish to give to their children, but they are very different to other so called disorders on mild end the Autistic spectrum that many, many people (with jobs & families) live with quite happily. Just because you can't choose how your mind works doesn't mean that you can't appreciate what perceptions you have.

My original comment was more intended to comment at the posters who were going 'OMG his a mental' contrasting to the posters saying 'huh, I do that sometimes too'.

I think as we begin to understand autism more and more, we realize everyone is autistic to SOME degree and really it's an arbitrary point where it's defined as such.

Flynn

DangerStepp said:
Mental condition or not, I still feel sorry for the guy because we all know something isn't right there. However funny it may be, it doesn't change the fact that he's invested 500 hours in to Bubsy 3D.

Is there really a difference between this and, say, memorizing Pi to the furthest digit or getting really good at World of WarCraft PvP.

Like I said before, the guy seems occupied, fairly happy and has a creative outlet. That's more than you can say for a good chunk of GAF users.

nli10

M3wThr33 said:
I think as we begin to understand autism more and more, we realize everyone is autistic to SOME degree and really it's an arbitrary point where it's defined as such.

Exactly :D

Civil

I spent an hour reading through this guy's page - absolutely amazing. Batshit fucking crazy, but amazing. It also makes me never want to let my son play video games. The way they've completely destroyed this guy's life is incomprehensible. But then again, if it wasn't video games, I suppose it would have been something else.

Civil

cjtiger300 said:
does it disturb anyone else that his site hasn't been updated since Oct 24? This site seems like a pretty important part of his life and he hasn't made an update in over a month. I hope he is OK.
It has been. He updated his dreams page today.

http://www.ulillillia.us/aboutme/dreams.shtml

It looks like the entire site is all static content, so it probably takes some time to manage the thing between marathon gaming sessions and obsessing over laundry, dishes, and videogame music.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
His slow voice and extreme experience with such an assy game together with the music made it bizarrely entertaining. :p

I actually (sadly) bought this game for like a $1 off of eBay just to see how bad it was. Stupid me. It really is that bad. I was shocked to find that the game ran at 480i.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Wow, after checking out George Game 13 (and reading about its origins), I can see why he would be attacted to the minimalism and unintentional free-roam bugginess of Bubsy 3D. I agree with others too that the art in George Game 13 is sublime.

There's nothing handicapped about this guy. By any other standard, we're all fucking retarded because we can't analyze to the degree that he does. In fact, maybe we are.

BTW, this is now my wallpaper. I love it.

http://www.ulillillia.us/gamedesign/GG13/gallery001.shtml

Top Bottom