• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

500 hours of Bubsy 3D. FIVE HUNDRED UNITED STATES HOURS.

M3wThr33

Banned
Brilliant idea.

Ulilililia and Cola from KidConfidence need to somehow do voiceover work together. I don't know how, but it MUST be done.

Dhx

Joe said:
:lol drowning tales is one of the creepiest thing i've ever seen. these videos are true gems.

He documents this as one of his major obsessions - http://www.ulillillia.us/aboutme/majorfears.shtml. It's lengthy, but here's an example.

6.3.2.2 My mind game and the fox and blue water

In my mind game, I sometimes, but rarely, have cases where I can choose to send the two-tailed fox from some high cliff into regular water, blue water, mud, or lava (sometimes another one is involved). I had to battle the fox to get it to go off the cliff. Sometimes it'd end up in the blue water and 30 seconds after touch it (even if it gets out), it dies.

derder

WHY DID NO ONE TELL ME ABOUT THIS KID

I've never seen anything like this. I feel like its Daxflame before I found out he was a fake.

Gildor

I'm glad I'm not the only one who just spent an hour reading his website. It's funny that he calculates his enjoyment of things. He calculates how much more he likes listening to video game music than a bowflex commercial. Here's a small example from the website:

With a sudden extreme compatibility with my songs, especially when I had Battle Zone going on for 46 days straight and a massive compatibility spike, the highest recorded of all, I began muting every single TV ad just to hear the song as it had the highest recorded compatibility. TV ads frequently revolved around weight loss and exercise equipment and got boring quickly as such ads were very common. Some ads with singing in them are almost always muted as, with a 20000x compatibility difference between the ad's music and Battle Zone, I was far more tempted to listen to Battle Zone than ads. Ads with whistling in them are even further disliked by a factor around 15 making me 300,000 times more motivated to listen to Battle Zone

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
His website is amazing. It's SOOO inane, but I can't stop reading it. Something about his narration style is sucking me in.

I mean, I just read multiple paragraphs explaining how he showers. And yet I didn't skim any of it. I actually read it all.

Edit: and in a very very odd way, his explanations for how he is the way he is seem to be making more and more sense. It's like, "yeah, I hate workout machine commercials and commercials with whistling in them too. Shit man, maybe I should start muting the TV and just listening to my fav. videogame tunes too. Statistically, I'm likely to get more enjoyment out of it than any TV audio..."

Phthisis

http://www.ulillillia.us/aboutme/foodanddrink.shtml

Since about 1999 or so, pizza has been my only main meal I actually ate to any worthy degree. Although I still had the occasional steak, double cheeseburger from McDonald's, and other things, pizza became my only main meal I enjoyed and actually ate. At times, if my family served the "garbage", things like steak, peas, corn, carrots, etc., I'd often refuse to eat it, but I had to in order to satisfy my craving addiction to video games.

Because of my lack of exercise due to no motive for doing so and the fact I ate a lot of fatty foods and things, I gained weight, and quite a bit of it. From doctor visits near the end of 2003, I found that I weighed as much as 217 pounds. In my past, I could peak 15 mph in a mad dash, but at this time, making even 13 mph was hard enough due to my extra weight. Because I had no motive for doing exercises, other than the mad dash across streets and parking lots when I went to a store, I needed to change my diet. Because pizzas were about the only thing I ate, I utilized my math skills and worked out changes. Each gram of fat is worth 9 calories. A typical serving from a bag of potato chips has about 12 grams of fat which means 108 calories. A typical large-sized bag has about 10 or so servings of this meaning that, if you ate half the bag in a single day, which was common in my past, I'd consume 1000 calories. Each gram of carbohydrates and protein is worth 4 calories. By eliminating potato chips, sodas, and various other things with little in the way of nutrition, or going with the healthier versions, I made a good effort there, but it still didn't help as pizzas tended to be packed full of fats. This is where excessive use of my fat-removal trick came in which literally soaks up a huge fraction of the fat and more of it the longer I use it (and the warmer the food is). I applied the method with the various fast food meals and it was not uncommon to spend a half an hour "degreasing" two double-cheese burgers when it takes only ten or so minutes to eat them. When I did eat at fast food restaurants, I often requested napkins and lots of them. Just how many? A stack an inch high was barely enough for 3 double cheeseburgers from McDonald's as it took 6 full napkins for one such double cheeseburger. Since I hated ketchup, mustard, pickels, and other things, I always got mine plain so that I only had the bun, hamburgers, and the cheese. By ordering it this way, I can much more thoroughly degrease them, to even 98% reduction within the typical 15 minutes spent per item. Plus, if one wanted to add ketchup, mustard, pickels, etc., they can be added separately and included when the degreasing is done. Then, over a year later, when I got weighed again, I was surprised I lost 50 pounds dropping to a more normal 170 pounds. Yet, that's without any considerable exercise (other than the usual sprinting through the parking lot and walking through stores, how rarely I've even done it).

There's something very...pure and fundamental about his reasoning style.

EDIT-

As of Nov 25, 2006, I eat pizzas primarily. Once every 2 months, I have something else, but since it's not filling causing me to eat a second time during the day, one major motive-dropper, I otherwise have pizza every day. This doesn't include snacks. The reason for pizzas only is quite clear when you look at the differences in motive. Both Hamburger Helper and pizzas are sort of the same in compatibility, with pizzas liked 1.4 times better, not much on 180. It's not the compatibility that's the issue, it's the affectors. Pizzas require just 3 dishes - the pizza cooker tray (for the pizzazz oven; but there's only one available), a large plate (of which there are 12 of), and a spatula (of which there are 10 of, but less commonly used). Hamburger Helper takes 5 dishes, of which listed in the second paragraph of section 1.1.2.5 above. Unlike with pizzas, HH almost always requires milk and if the milk is beyond the sell by date, it is considered as "unavailable". Unlike with the dishes where they could be washed if my parents were available, the milk cannot be replaced unless a trip is taken to the grocery store. Because of the greater chance of having to get dishes washed, it deters me from having it. The milk is the biggest issue since, if not available, it simply can't just be washed, it means a 16-mile round trip to get to the grocery store and back. Without milk, I otherwise only have one flavor available - lasagna, of which is 12 times worse than pizzas in compatibility, so substantial of a difference, there's otherwise no chance I'll have it and would rather have pizza. Yet, since HH is not all that filling (I'd need more than a double batch to fix this), takes 50% longer to cook and eat than pizzas by volume, and cannot be degreased, the motive for having it is further reduced. Compared to pizzas at 140, HH has a small 10 for the motive and by applying the "theory of repeated use", something being researched (as of Nov 25, 2006), I could go for about 6 months without it, provided the motive doesn't change for both.

miyuru

Flynn said:
Why? He seems happy and occupied.

Like a goldfish.

I dunno, I sorta feel for the guy too, but you're right. In class we learned that the handicapped for example would rate their quality of life the same as anyone else, so I'm sure the same applies for him, I'm sure he's happy with his life.

EDIT: Damn, someone should buy him out and publish his website as a book :lol You just get sucked in to his writing style!!

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
That was a mesmerizing 8 minutes...

Wow... I kind of want to put this game on my PSP.

zam

Phthisis said:
There's something very...pure and fundamental about his reasoning style.
I'm fascinated by his assigning strict numerical values to everything (eg "1.4 times more compatibility).

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
As of Nov 25, 2006, I eat pizzas primarily. Once every 2 months, I have something else, but since it's not filling causing me to eat a second time during the day, one major motive-dropper, I otherwise have pizza every day. This doesn't include snacks. The reason for pizzas only is quite clear when you look at the differences in motive. Both Hamburger Helper and pizzas are sort of the same in compatibility, with pizzas liked 1.4 times better, not much on 180. It's not the compatibility that's the issue, it's the affectors. Pizzas require just 3 dishes - the pizza cooker tray (for the pizzazz oven; but there's only one available), a large plate (of which there are 12 of), and a spatula (of which there are 10 of, but less commonly used). Hamburger Helper takes 5 dishes, of which listed in the second paragraph of section 1.1.2.5 above. Unlike with pizzas, HH almost always requires milk and if the milk is beyond the sell by date, it is considered as "unavailable". Unlike with the dishes where they could be washed if my parents were available, the milk cannot be replaced unless a trip is taken to the grocery store. Because of the greater chance of having to get dishes washed, it deters me from having it. The milk is the biggest issue since, if not available, it simply can't just be washed, it means a 16-mile round trip to get to the grocery store and back. Without milk, I otherwise only have one flavor available - lasagna, of which is 12 times worse than pizzas in compatibility, so substantial of a difference, there's otherwise no chance I'll have it and would rather have pizza. Yet, since HH is not all that filling (I'd need more than a double batch to fix this), takes 50% longer to cook and eat than pizzas by volume, and cannot be degreased, the motive for having it is further reduced. Compared to pizzas at 140, HH has a small 10 for the motive and by applying the "theory of repeated use", something being researched (as of Nov 25, 2006), I could go for about 6 months without it, provided the motive doesn't change for both.

What's AMAZING about this particular example is that it isn't really all that weird - it's just the extreme amount of thought he's put into it that's weird.

He's basically saying, if translated into normal... "Hamburger Helper? Fuck that. It takes longer and makes a bigger mess, and I think all our pots are dirty. Plus I don't even know if we have milk. If not... we'd have to make the Lasagna kind and that one sucks. Let's just make a pizza instead" :lol :lol

I'm fairly sure those exact words have come out of my mouth.

Shouta

White Man said:
I can't believe this dude is unknown here. He is like High Grand King of the Nerdlingers.

There was a thread about him somewhere on the forum. I remember reading about him and thinking everything that people posted in this thread. :lol

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
This guy confuses me so much. He nearly maxed out the game clock in Final Fantasy 9, but got stuck on where to go next. Saying he just got Quina. Wow. I just wonder what he does in some of these games...

Damn it, I should be studying for my finals but this stuff is so much more interesting.

The story about his pizza eating habits/weight loss is just brilliant. Actually reading the amount of thought he puts in every day simple tasks is just...amazing.

Seriously...life would be pretty interesting if this guy was narrating it.

JavaMava

Like other posters have pointed out, most of what he says make sense. He just puts a ridiculous amount of research and explanation behind it. I love it. It'd be interesting to talk to this guy for an afternoon.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
The thing that has most caught my attention in the photo is that his keyboard is covered by something, possibly the type of material that comes wrapped around DVD players and such when you open them. Do we take this to mean that he covers his keyboard with a protective layer of padding and types through it?

This young man has Asperger's Syndrome, quite acutely, and happens to be incredibly intelligent and sensitive... even for an AS.

Those of you interested in game design should download the games he's made. They are incredibly well crafted. The visuals of his new game are inadvertently done in the pointillism style of painter Andre Serrat. Who also suffered from AS, it is thought. No I am not kidding.

A mind that was once fixated on games, making a game, through a 'game.'

Screenshots from George Game 13. http://www.ulillillia.us/gamedesignindex.shtml

gg13ss0063qo1.jpg

gg13ss0035vo8.jpg

gg13ss0025qa8.jpg

The starkness and bareness of these places isn't just a byproduct of him not knowing what to do.. this is an aesthetic developed over thousands of hours of 'prototyping', if you like.

I saw this stuff the day I bought Gears of War. I've never actually been the same, the different experiences were that absolute. I never finished Gears of War.

Those screenshots look amazing. The colors chosen for the buildings seem to complement each other really well. The ground looks really appealing too.

Awesome. Just awesome.

nofi

curryknight12 said:
Those screenshots look amazing. The colors chosen for the buildings seem to complement each other really well. The ground looks really appealing too.

Awesome. Just awesome.

There are no words.

Edit: you might be serious. In which case I apologise.

DarkKyo

LOL! He sounds so sad!! :lol How can anyone play 500 hours of Bubsy 3D?

*gets hit by enemy* "I did that deliberately..."

Wolves Evolve said:
I saw this stuff the day I bought Gears of War. I've never actually been the same, the different experiences were that absolute. I never finished Gears of War.

I know your aiming for the whole "I care" angle but playing that over Gears of War makes you more handicapped than he is.

pubba

Good find. I just spent an hour reading through his page too.

I spent 3 years working 1 on 1 with a client that had Asperger's syndrome. His 'interest' was astrology, and he could tell you the chemical makeup of the atmosphere for any planet etc etc.. It was fascinating stuff.

There was however a dark side. Certain words would set him off into blind rages. Words like 'head' and 'ant' to name a few.

Do you know how hard it is to get through a day without saying 'head'? :lol

This guy bought back a lot of memories of working with my Asperger's syndrome client. I'm 100% sure he has AS.

Now, back to his musings. This stuff is fascinating.

IronicallyTwisted said:
I know your aiming for the whole "I care" angle but playing that over Gears of War makes you more handicapped than he is.

Did you have to? Jesus Christ.

1. Its 'you are'; 'your' is possessive.
2. My "angle" is 'check this out'.
3. Gears of War is just as autistic as any of these games.
4. Asperger's Syndrome is not a handicap.
5. Shut up about Firefly.

Baryn

Banned
His 2D game actually is pretty brilliant (yeah, brilliant), and I do think the same of his 3D game's screenshots, no matter whether their beauty is accidental or deliberate.

He went from being a hilariously sad ultranerd, to a fascinating headcase, to an argument for games as art. Wow, what a night.

I just played his Supernatural Olympics game in free mode, which was actually pretty fun to figure out how to jump extremely high.

Unfortunately, not many people are going to see the artistic value of George 13's screen shots due to the exceedingly simple map construction taking away the attention from the color scheme.

does it disturb anyone else that his site hasn't been updated since Oct 24? This site seems like a pretty important part of his life and he hasn't made an update in over a month. I hope he is OK.

Nocebo

IronicallyTwisted said:
This guy freaks me out.

He has to have some mental disability. Or he was raised by a pack of sloths or something...

Heres one of his concise rationalizations for not taking showers...
My brain exploded about half way through reading that.
It's funny how smart guys can be so "stupid" sometimes as their smarts get in the way of common sense.

I kind of liked Bubsy 3d. I know its a horrible game but yet, there was just something appealing about it. The art direction was done by Chuck Jones and the scenes are appealing to look as the last work of a great master at but weren't fun to play. The game was $20 new and at the time there where no other 3d platformers like it on the Playstation. In fact the concept was new and you can forgive early experiments. I've played worse 3d platformer games recently when the developers should of known better.

shoplifter

cjtiger300 said:
does it disturb anyone else that his site hasn't been updated since Oct 24? This site seems like a pretty important part of his life and he hasn't made an update in over a month. I hope he is OK.

He tends to post his daily updates all at once every couple of weeks, so when you read it you get the idea that he updates it daily.

KittenMaster said:
So he can play Bubsy for long periods of time, but Leveling up in FF1 takes too long? Also, the lava was a very minor part of the game and with upmost efficiency you can reduce damage (which is what you're supposed to do, really).

I also notice he didn't give FFVIII much of a shot, which is strange because a lot of mechanics in that game would be very much up his alley in terms of completing many oddities and consuming his time.

Typical, Bubsy 3D gets a pass but FF1 gets lambasted for minor flaws. A -9 affector for spikes and lava, are you kidding me?! Damned fanboy game reviewers, so inconsistent. At least the world map music had the second-highest sustained compatibility.

sky

Interesting videos... really makes me want to play some of those games again.
The guy's devoted, I'll give him that!

ToxicAdam

nofi said:
This thread is great for my ignore list. Thanks.

Okay we get it, you are super-sensitive, highly evolved guy. How about keeping it to yourself and quit shitting up the thread with your moral superiority complex?

Please add me to your ignore list too, thanks.

I can see what he finds aesthetically pleasing about the simple geometry of Bubsy 3D. The game environment he's crafted is very interesting and something I would most likely enjoy.

nofi

ToxicAdam said:
Okay we get it, you are super-sensitive, highly evolved guy. How about keeping it to yourself and quit shitting up the thread with your moral superiority complex?

Please add me to your ignore list too, thanks.

So it's ok for the drones to spout their childish, ignorant rants? I knew I should have adopted that tact instead of the thoughtful one.

Ah, go ahead.

Sounds sad to me, seriously sad.
And I wouldn't call him smart either, being smart isn't about putting made up numbers into overly long paragraphs in which 80% of stuff is garbage.

Why not just say "I'm eating pizzs most of the time because I don't feel like cooking anything else an I care about my health"?

That website made me feel bad about world now, thanks neogaf.

DangerStepp

Mental condition or not, I still feel sorry for the guy because we all know something isn't right there. However funny it may be, it doesn't change the fact that he's invested 500 hours in to Bubsy 3D. Then again, I'm sure there are masses that have racked up more than that playing Star Wars Galaxies, Vanguard, or even Shadowbane. Perhaps he's not so unusual after all.

Gotta love the YouTube comments, BTW:

I want you to narrate my life

DangerStepp said:
Mental condition or not, I still feel sorry for the guy because we all know something isn't right there. However funny it may be, it doesn't change the fact that he's invested 500 hours in to Bubsy 3D.

He invested 500 hours in level 2. God knows how many hes put into the actual game.

Top Bottom