• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Wii Review! Behold!: Mini Desktop Racing

Frillen

Mini Desktop Racing reviewed by Bozon:

1.0 Presentation
Tiny icons, poor IR, and a serious lack of options.
1.5 Graphics
Better than its racing counterpart Offroad Extreme, but still leagues below games like GT Pro Series.
1.5 Sound
Totally bland.
1.0 Gameplay
The tilt control (integrated like Wii’s flight games) makes no sense, and is extremely uncomfortable.
0.0 Lasting Appeal
We played it because we’re paid to. Nobody else has an excuse.
Abysmal OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

http://wii.ign.com/articles/840/840529p1.html

:lol :lol :lol

Oh, it gets even worse:

Offroad Extreme! reviewed by Matt C:

1.0 Presentation
There are trucks, jeeps, buggies and a selection of levels – that much is true. On the other hand, it's all horribly rendered and lackluster.
1.0 Graphics
Bad for a first-generation N64 game. Ugly, ugly and more ugly. Poor framerate, nasty textures, low-poly environments, lacking animation, terrible particle effects. Supports neither 480p nor 16:9.
4.0 Sound
Average sound effects and sleep-inducing music.
0.5 Gameplay
Just awful. Wii remote control is so sluggish it's barely playable, and the framerate is offensive for a game this ugly. No redeeming value whatsoever.
0.0 Lasting Appeal
If you can find lasting appeal in this game, you can also find it in bag full of dog feces, which, now that we think about it, may be preferable at parties.
Abysmal OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

http://wii.ign.com/articles/840/840524p1.html

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
1. Why'd you post about a game that nobody cares about?
2. Why do you think shovelware games getting shovelware scores is funny?

Obaid

Banned
go wii go.

since wii i am ashamed to be a gamer. Now i know how the music fans in europe felt in the 90's .

7xkldvn.jpg

StevieP

Banned
Obaid said:
go wii go.

since wii i am ashamed to be a gamer. Now i know how the music fans in europe felt in the 90's .

Because the PS2 didn't have thousands of shovelware titles.

JKBii

"this new racing game would be mechanically and aesthetically broken if it were released a decade ago"

Beautiful, from the fine folks of Conspiracy Entertainment.

Obaid

Banned
Tim-E said:
Because only after 6 years was when any shovelware was released. Absolutely none before that. Just thousands at once.

no, c'mon you know what i mean. the audience was wide enough to sell those games. Wii was a shovelware system from release.

Tim-E

Obaid said:
no, c'mon you know what i mean. the audience was wide enough to sell those games. Wii was a shovelware system from release.

And the Wii doesn't have a wide audience? :p

8g4mwlu.jpg

Yep. Just a shovelware console.

Amir0x

Banned
PantherLotus said:

wait aren't you the one that posts images of all the shovelware games in your Wii screen thread? (but I agree with you - think this is a morbid curiosity thing, like the Elf Bowling DS thread)

stilgar said:
Ho, so Wii is obviously a shovelware system. We aren't talking about ps3 here, so what's YOUR point?

Posting a pic from Metacritic (didn't realize it was banned) and going "see, it's not a shovelware system!!" is a moot point to make when the system still comes in last compared to the competition on the very same site. I used the PS3 because it's roughly the same age as the Wii, if I had used the 360 it wouldn't have been fair considering the extra year.

No6

Tim-E said:
Because only after 6 years was when any shovelware was released. Absolutely none before that. Just thousands at once.
I don't remember shovelware devs porting PS1 games to the PS2 en masse during the first year or so, but I may be mistaken. It's hard for me to remember because I'm pretty sure the PS2 had enough decent/good games that IGN didn't have to bother reviewing shovelware like this in order to get people to come to their site.

Although I'm really unsure what to make of a Top X list when the decidedly flawed GH3 is at #6.

No6

Amir0x said:
wait aren't you the one that posts images of all the shovelware games in your Wii screen thread? (but I agree with you - think this is a morbid curiosity thing, like the Elf Bowling DS thread)
But those games "have potential" and posters were declaring that they were "keeping an eye on that one".

Sleep well, mediocre/poor games, for the watchful eye of NeoGAF will keep you safe from enemies.

_leech_ said:
Posting a pic from Metacritic (didn't realize it was banned) and going "see, it's not a shovelware system!!" is a moot point to make when the system still comes in last compared to the competition on the very same site. I used the PS3 because it's roughly the same age as the Wii, if I had used the 360 it wouldn't have been fair considering the extra year.

Yay, you won an Internet argument!

No6 said:
I don't remember shovelware devs porting PS1 games to the PS2 en masse during the first year or so, but I may be mistaken. It's hard for me to remember because I'm pretty sure the PS2 had enough decent/good games that IGN didn't have to bother reviewing shovelware like this in order to get people to come to their site.

Although I'm really unsure what to make of a Top X list when the decidedly flawed GH3 is at #6.

You're right. The Wii is a failure. I await the NPDs with this newfound knowledge.

pswii60

This Wii shovelware issue was discussed in detail in a recent edition of EGM.

Apparently Nintendo let anyone develop and release games on their platforms, whereas Sony and MS have a concept/quality team that you have to get past initially. Basically the complete opposite of the N64 days.

Tim-E

_leech_ said:

The Wii is much more popular than the PS3 is. Of course it's going to get more shovelware. Just because it gets shovelware doesn't make it a "shovelware system" because it has good games. Just like the PS1 and 2. People just like to point out all of the shitty Wii games so GAF can go "lulz wii 3rd party" even though there are PS2 games that are just as bad. If someone made a thread with a review of a shitty PS2 game with N64 graphics people wouldn't be saying "omg ps2 am shuvelware"

All these crappy conspiracy entertainment games are really starting to piss me off. Miyamoto said the wii would incourage new small developers, but he wasn't planning on these little developers to be crap.

No6

Miniboss1232 said:
You're right. The Wii is a failure. I await the NPDs with this newfound knowledge.
Why would the Wii having an abnormal amount of shovelware have any bearing on the NPDs?
The Wii is much more popular than the PS3 is. Of course it's going to get more shovelware. Just because it gets shovelware doesn't make it a "shovelware system" because it has good games. Just like the PS1 and 2. People just like to point out all of the shitty Wii games so GAF can go "lulz wii 3rd party" even though the PS2 games that are just as bad. If someone made a thread with a review of a shitty PS2 game with N64 graphics people wouldn't be saying "omg ps2 am shuvelware"
Well, since the Wii is supposed to be Next-Gen, wouldn't the PS2 game have to have SNES gfx to be fair?

PantherLotus said:

Answer 1: to show how BADLY some developers are doing on Wii. What is the lowest score on X360/PS3 in comparison ?

Answer 2: in fact I don't think it's funny. Wii is becoming the trash-machine.

_leech_ said:

Well Nintendo has 2 exclusive games over 90% and PS3 has none!
See what I did there? Who gives a shit. There's plenty of games to love on both systems and plenty of things to avoid.

Tim-E

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Answer 1: to show how BADLY some developers are doing on Wii. What is the lowest score on X360/PS3 in comparison ?

Just ignore the trash and have fun with what's good. Who cares if there's trash available for it or not? You have the internet, you can see what's good or not before you buy it.

Tim-E

Threi said:
you guys are seriously going at it?

over THIS?

oh my god :lol :lol :lol :lol

What can I say? I'm bored.

Anyway, catch you later guys. I'm throwing a party and we're rotating between Cruis'n and Chicken Shoot.

Mithos Yggdrasill said:

PS3: 2.1 - Go Sports! Ski
X360: 2.9 - Pimp My Ride/Vampire Rain (tie)

Doesn't matter. Once you go below 7, everything's pretty much trash anyways.

No6

DevelopmentArrested said:
Well Nintendo has 2 exclusive games over 90% and PS3 has none!
See what I did there? Who gives a shit. There's plenty of games to love on both systems and plenty of things to avoid.
Actually, I think the issue is that you either have to have multiple consoles or drastically lower your standards *coughgodfatherscarfacecough* to have "plenty" of good games on either the Wii or PS3. Outside of the two sports games and Lego (played it elsewhere), I've played and beaten every Wii game on Metacritic that has an 80+ average.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
What the hell is wrong with you all.

I love reading reviews on bad games...dunno why, just do. NO MATTER WHAT SYSTEM THEY ARE ON. Gah.

Thanks OP. :)

d[-_-]b

Banned
No6 said:
Actually, I think the issue is that you either have to have multiple consoles or drastically lower your standards *coughgodfatherscarfacecough* to have "plenty" of good games on either the Wii or PS3. Outside of the two sports games and Lego (played it elsewhere), I've played and beaten every Wii game on Metacritic that has an 80+ average.
No backlog is always a good thing :<~. see what I did there

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
pswii60 said:
Apparently Nintendo let anyone develop and release games on their platforms, whereas Sony and MS have a concept/quality team that you have to get past initially. Basically the complete opposite of the N64 days.

You know, I think I actually prefer the "let anyone develop" scheme as it lets the market decide, and should serve to harshly punish the lousy folks.

Then again, it leads to stores being hurt by bad games selling poorly.

Then again, it leads to stores not purchasing as many bad games.

Then again, it might hurt smaller/new publishers from selling their titles to stores.

So many sides to the coin, but all can agree that this game stinks.

(Then again, I'm the guy that bought BlowOut for the GameCube entirely for the reason that it was the only $9.99 MSRP game I'd ever seen on a console, so I'm not sure I'm the best judge. I have a soft spot for dirt cheap, mostly bad games... but even I have my limits. I'd possibly buy one of these titles for $9.99, just for the novelty of it, but not for $15 or $20.)

kizmah

Obaid said:
go wii go.

Go troll go!

This last month and a half I have really been ashamed with Prime 3, Endless Ocean and Super Mario Galaxy. And soon I will be embarassed by Umbrella Chronicles and Zack and Wiki.

Top Bottom