• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Firware update (2.10) coming tomorrow - Blu-Ray 1.1 support! Divx! splooooge

watership

DrXym said:
Exactly. Streaming is a useful supplement but its unreasonable (not to mention baroque and a waste of power) to require a PC just to send content to the PS3. This is why the Apple TV device is just so retarded - just what purpose is served by requiring another PC to buy, manage and hold the content?

Fortunately there are several options with the PS3 for copying / sharing or streaming content so a PC is optional. As it should be.

I get that keeping a PC on all the time is not an option for all people.

But anyone who watches a lot of digital content probably has either a PC on all the time, or at least an external media server, like an external drive/drive enclosure or media hub. I have one of those and I use it to serve my PC, my laptop and now my console. It's so much easier to maintain one location for all data, serving any edge device I choose to use.

nofi

Crisis said:
Well tanod posted what happens historically. If it's slated for tomorrow in Europe (which it apparently is) we should be seeing it tonight in North America at around 10 EST. Then again this is an odd update because they almost always do this on a Wednesday.

The page has been removed from the UK site, it might not be coming tomorrow, although the page was backdated.

sun-drop

watership said:
I get that keeping a PC on all the time is not an option for all people.

But anyone who watches a lot of digital content probably has either a PC on all the time, or at least an external media server, like an external drive/drive enclosure or media hub. I have one of those and I use it to serve my PC, my laptop and now my console. It's so much easier to maintain one location for all data, serving any edge device I choose to use.

well what about all the people who don't have a PC that can drive 1080p video? ..my system JUSt manages to run 720p vid smoothly, and thats with mplayer and geforce hardware acleration. althlon xp 2600.

Kittonwy

Banned
Jim said:
It's not in-game XMB, it's in-game messaging/soundtracks. There's no need for the whole damn frontend to be sitting there. The Xbox 360's entire dash isn't sitting in memory either, it's just more or less a widget with the required functions.

The OS already supports the receipt of messages and alerts. It's the friend's list and message composition that's not there at the moment.

I don't know why the fuck it's taking them so long to implement a feature that they've admitted publicly that people actually want and that the OS already supports the receipt of messages.

Rugasuki

With these new updates comes the urge to buy a much larger HD for my PS3. Anyone have particular models they recommend? I tried to find some recommendations on google but haven't had much luck. Is 7200RPM worth it or does it just make the system louder?

Kittonwy

Banned
Alex P said:
Does anyone know if this update fixes the kitten problem?

There's no kitten problem.
angry.gif

watership

lambchop said:
well what about all the people who don't have a PC that can drive 1080p video? ..my system JUSt manages to run 720p vid smoothly, and thats with mplayer and geforce hardware acleration. althlon xp 2600.

It doesn't matter if your PC has problems playing a flash game, all your doing is streaming data to your PS3 or 360. The console does the work. You store music on your PC, along with photos, why not the movies you'll watch.

watership

Rugasuki said:
With these new updates comes the urge to buy a much larger HD for my PS3. Anyone have particular models they recommend? I tried to find some recommendations on google but haven't had much luck. Is 7200RPM worth it or does it just make the system louder?

*Watership looks up at all the stuff he's typed about central data storage and steaming and just gives up*

Guy Legend

They need to fix Gran Turismo 4's compatibility status on the 80gb system. It worked fine until it was killed by the 2.0 update.

watership said:
It doesn't matter if your PC has problems playing a flash game, all your doing is streaming data to your PS3 or 360. The console does the work. You store music on your PC, along with photos, why not the movies you'll watch.

Didn't know about that... Cool!

tanod

when is my burrito
Kalren said:
What's the issue with Buzz/Singstar? I was looking to buy Buzz to play with the family.

I picked up Buzz Mega Quiz this weekend. Works fine on PS3. I think the only thing I've heard is that if you skip the opening movie, it locks up. I hadn't tried to lock it up but my wife and I played a game.

It really is a lot of fun. Very well designed game.

Nooreo

Can some one help me out here?!
i hear the Dvix/avi files the ps3 can play are the copyrighted ones is this true?! T___T

tanod

when is my burrito
Nooreo said:
Can some one help me out here?!
i hear the Dvix/avi files the ps3 can play are the copyrighted ones is this true?! T___T

Don't know yet. You just have to wait for it and we'll know. Since Sony is dealing with DIVX directly like MS, I wouldn't see why the divx support would be any different.

DeadGzuz

Banned
tanod said:
I picked up Buzz Mega Quiz this weekend. Works fine on PS3. I think the only thing I've heard is that if you skip the opening movie, it locks up. I hadn't tried to lock it up but my wife and I played a game.

Good info. Do you know if the PS2 eye Toy games work on the PS3 with the new PS Eye?

M3wThr33

Banned
tanod said:

It does it on my launch 60GB hardware BC PS3. About 90% of the time.

Surfheart

Does anyone have any idea as to why they can't add at the very least ingame text chat?
I hate playing something and then see a message from a friend come in and have to quit the game to read it.

Oh, at least I can modulate my voice now.

:D I should have read the thread. I see this has already been discussed.

tanod

when is my burrito
M3wThr33 said:
It does it on my launch 60GB hardware BC PS3. About 90% of the time.

Don't skip the opening movie then?

EDIT: If I'm reading it right, it seems voice modulation is for XMB chat only.

M3wThr33

Banned
tanod said:
Don't skip the opening movie then?

EDIT: If I'm reading it right, it seems voice modulation is for XMB chat only.

It also crashes at the end of a game. So it's NEVER saved that I've finished a game.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
SOOOOOOOOOOOO much fun with Voicechanger in chats with friends.

We went straight to CoD4 and had even more fun!!!

Sorry if you played against me.

sinnergy

God no, not a voicechanger, can you even use it in MP games, and everyone hears it? It's so fucking lame!
I get Timesplitters 3 flashbacks.... horrible, just horrible.

chapel

Banned
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/ps3-divx...erdict-not-as-good-as-the-xbox-360-335062.php

DivX and WMV play back fine. Just as they claimed, the PS3 now can play back DivX files and WMV files. No problemo.

XviD does not work. Again, no XviD support at all. You'd be surprised how many of your files are actually XviD and not DivX, especially if you've been "obtaining" TV shows and movies over the years. Often times the files aren't labeled with the codec type in the name, so you'll have to try and play it back to know whether or not it's supported. If it's not, the file name will change to "Unsupported Data".

Streaming only works off of Windows Media Player 11 shares, not Windows Media Connect or SMB (regular Windows folder sharing). This one could be a biggie. The PlayStation 3 doesn't actually support SMB network shares, which is the default Windows folder sharing network protocol that both Linux and OS X understand. This means you're going to have to install Windows Media Player 11 (or something similar, like Orb) in order to stream video from your home computer. Windows Media Connect, which sits on our Windows Home Server that housed most of our video files, didn't work. WMP11 did.

sinnergy

It does run xvid/divx only not all. I put in the same disc (dvd) with xvid/divx movies and the PS3 rejected some, my X360 played all.

Also the X360, at least here on my tv does a better job displaying them, less artifacts etc..

Schrade

For you people having problems playing certain videos, can you please download and install MediaInfo http://mediainfo.sf.net/ and right click the file and select "Media Info" and then tell me what it says for the video format and audio codec?

In the MediaInfo window click on the View menu and select "Text" then copy/paste it into a post. This will help find out what formats it's choking on.

You can leave out the "Complete name" part (second line) as we don't need to know the filename.

Here's an example output from MediaInfo:

Code:
General #0
Complete name        : C:\NeoGAF\Memes\TrannySurprise.avi
Format               : AVI
Format/Info          : Audio Video Interleave
Format/Family        : RIFF
File size            : 696 MiB
PlayTime             : 1h 42mn
Bit rate             : 939 Kbps
StreamSize           : 12.4 MiB
Writing library      : VirtualDub build 0/release

Video #0
Codec                : XviD
Codec/Family         : MPEG-4
Codec/Info           : XviD project
Codec profile        : Streaming Video Profile/Level 1
Codec settings/Packe : Yes
Codec settings/BVOP  : Yes
Codec settings/QPel  : No
Codec settings/GMC   : 0
Codec settings/Matri : Default
Bit rate             : 781 Kbps
Width                : 640 pixels
Height               : 288 pixels
Display Aspect ratio : 2.222
Frame rate           : 23.976 fps
Resolution           : 8 bits
Chroma               : 4:2:0
Interlacement        : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)   : 0.175
StreamSize           : 573 MiB

Audio #0
Codec                : MPEG-1 Audio layer 3
Codec profile        : Joint stereo
Bit rate             : 150 Kbps
Bit rate mode        : VBR
Channel(s)           : 2 channels
Sampling rate        : 48 KHz
Resolution           : 16 bits
StreamSize           : 110 MiB
Writing library      : LAME3.96r
Encoding settings    : ABR

BeeDog said:
Some of you guys complain way too much. Only thing I can agree with is probably Voice Changer, but the others, oh man...

DivX support -> "aw fuck, I can't watch the old-ass illegal 3.11 encodes! FUCKING BLOWS!"
Blu-Ray 1.1 support, something many 1st-gen retail players won't ever have (or it will be a PITA to update the firmware -> "1.1 huh? Who gives a fucking shit? GIMME SOMETHING WORTHWHILE!!11!!!"

I'd probably beat some of your asses if I ever met you complainos on the street. :p With that said, any update is a welcome update!
:lol

WTF is wrong with my PS3?

I finally got the update I downloade don my PC to be recognized by the PS3 and it installed, reset etc. And then when I log into my account it says "lawl a new update is required" wtf? It installed yet it didn't update.

Edit: Can someone link me to the 2.10 firmware please? The US site doesn't have it.

Wow, most of my videos play now, and most of them are named as being encoded in Xvid (guess they really aren't?).
I connected my computer directly to my HDTV a while back as a secondary display so I don't know how useful this feature will be for me overall, but it's still great to have. :D

Top Bottom