• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Firware update (2.10) coming tomorrow - Blu-Ray 1.1 support! Divx! splooooge

cjdunn

Stolen from Wikipedia:
Code:
Feature 	 	 	BD-Video (Grace Period Profile – Profile 1.0) 	Bonus View (Final Standard Profile – Profile 1.1) 	BD-Live (Profile 2)
Built-in persistent memory 	64 KB 	  	 	  			64 KB  		  	 	 		 	64 KB
Local storage capability[a] 	– 	 	 	 	 	 	256 MB  	 	 	 	 	 	1 GB
Secondary video decoder (PiP) 	Optional 	 	 	 	 	Mandatory 	 	 	 	 	 	Mandatory
Secondary audio decoder[b] 	Optional 	 	 	 	 	Mandatory 	  		 	 	 	Mandatory
Virtual file system 	 	Optional 	 	 	 	 	Mandatory 	 	 	 	 	 	Mandatory
Internet connection capability 	No  	 	 	 	 		No 	 	 	 	 	 	 	Mandatory

[a] This is used for storing audio/video and title updates. It can either be built in memory or removable media, such as a memory card or a USB flash memory.
[b] A secondary audio decoder is typically used for interactive audio and commentary

Chris R

watership said:
Why don't just stream the data from your PC? There is no reason i can think of that people should keep things on their console, especially if you're just duplicating data on your PC.
My PC isn't on 24/7 Would hate to go turn it on to watch an episode of Lost or something :lol

watership

karasu said:
It's slow

It is not slow, it's instantaneous.

The other reason, that you don't have to have your PC on all the time, was a far better answer. Not everyone has their PC on all the time.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
cjdunn said:
Stolen from Wikipedia:
Code:
Feature 	 	 	BD-Video (Grace Period Profile – Profile 1.0) 	Bonus View (Final Standard Profile – Profile 1.1) 	BD-Live (Profile 2)
Built-in persistent memory 	64 KB 	  	 	  			64 KB  		  	 	 		 	64 KB
Local storage capability[a] 	– 	 	 	 	 	 	256 MB  	 	 	 	 	 	1 GB
Secondary video decoder (PiP) 	Optional 	 	 	 	 	Mandatory 	 	 	 	 	 	Mandatory
Secondary audio decoder[b] 	Optional 	 	 	 	 	Mandatory 	  		 	 	 	Mandatory
Virtual file system 	 	Optional 	 	 	 	 	Mandatory 	 	 	 	 	 	Mandatory
Internet connection capability 	No  	 	 	 	 		No 	 	 	 	 	 	 	Mandatory

[a] This is used for storing audio/video and title updates. It can either be built in memory or removable media, such as a memory card or a USB flash memory.
[b] A secondary audio decoder is typically used for interactive audio and commentary

So internet connection comes with BD 2, not 1.1? I like the mandatory stuff in 1.1. Wow at the local storage capability.

Wait a sec, local storage capability for DB 2 is 1GB. Does this no internet ever on PS3?

edit: just read the [a] note. Ah so it can use the HDD to achieve that. Good then. *hugs PS3*

Firewire

Banned
Kittonwy said:
Oh ffs Sony, IN GAME XMB MESSAGING.
angry.gif

IN

GAME

FUCKING

XMB

MESSAGING

RAWR

Indifferent2.gif

Yeah its about time we get this! Its been a fucking year now Sony!

Shinraven

good they are updating stuff, but ill still use Xbmc and my 360 to stream stuff. i'll touch my ps3 when mlb 08 / wipeout hd comes out

:lol

cjdunn

TTP said:
So internet connection comes with BD 2, not 1.1? I like the mandatory stuff in 1.1. Wow at the local storage capability.

Wait a sec, local storage capability for DB 2 is 1GB. Does this no internet ever on PS3?

edit: just read the [a] note. Ah so it can use the HDD to achieve that. Good then. *hugs PS3*

Which begs the question: why not just jump to Profile 2.0? The hardware's been ready for a year.

Now I'm off to google which titles are or will support 1.1.

[Edit:] Found something:
"War"
"Resident Evil: Extinction"
"3:10 To Yuma"
"Sunshine"

M3Freak

Banned
Aeon712 said:
Voice masking...Do Not Want Sony.

Want x1000. I can already imagine the fits of uncontrollable laughter in-game:

(during another resistance night)
m3freak (jade raymond voice): hiiiiiiiiiiiii
efertlis: what. the. fuck.
sutdawg: ...
aeon: o_0
aeon: -_0
aeon: 0_-
aeon: ....
aeon: oh man, you're so hot.

DrXym

Psychotext said:
I wonder why they set the 2gb limit on the files. I could understand it for handling them over wireless connections but can't see what the issue would be if they're played locally.

They didn't set it. Google "avi 2gb" and you'll find a ton of links about the issue, e.g.

http://neuron2.net/LVG/filesize.html

I guess Sony could have tried a little harder to support some of the workarounds but maybe they'd rather support the basics first since most DIVX files aren't going to be 2gb anyway. And maybe its possible to workaround the problem by moving the content into an .mp4 container.

karasu

watership said:
It is not slow, it's instantaneous.

The other reason, that you don't have to have your PC on all the time, was a far better answer. Not everyone has their PC on all the time.

It's supposed to be instantaneous? It isn't for me. Everytime I try to stream a file it constantly stutters so more can be transcoded, and then there are connection drops.

Firewire

Banned
M3Freak said:

watership

karasu said:
It's supposed to be instantaneous? It isn't for me. Everytime I try to stream a file it constantly stutters so more can be transcoded, and then there are connection drops.

You don't transcode That's only for streaming a non supported codec to a supported one. This is streaming divx/xvid data to the device (360/PS3) which then decodes it.

DrXym

rhfb said:
My PC isn't on 24/7 Would hate to go turn it on to watch an episode of Lost or something :lol

Exactly. Streaming is a useful supplement but its unreasonable (not to mention baroque and a waste of power) to require a PC just to send content to the PS3. This is why the Apple TV device is just so retarded - just what purpose is served by requiring another PC to buy, manage and hold the content?

Fortunately there are several options with the PS3 for copying / sharing or streaming content so a PC is optional. As it should be.

Kittonwy

Banned
M3Freak said:

THIS WILL HAPPEN.
Indifferent2.gif

Is there any wayto connect directly a ps3 top a big nas (several tb) so that it reads directly video from there ?

is there any native soft on the ps3 that enables management of a video databse (sorting, attributes, covers, etc ?). well, a native mediacenter server app... oh, i'm dreaming of course...

careksims

M3Freak said:

LOL! hoo boy. It's either going to be annoying or hilarious to hear the other team though.

SS4Rob

JediMasterMatt said:
<technical mumbo jumbo>

This sir, is EXACTLY the information I was looking for. I was under the assumption the 905 had the same mediocre scaler. With this information in mind I can now buy the PROPER receiver. Many thanks again! :-D

ukiraros

YES

DivX support and VC-1 (WMV) support.

The FW for bluray profile 1.1 will automatically make the PS3 2.0 because the PS3 already has a standard ethernet/wifi for internet connection and HDD. Awesome stuff.

Pharmacy

Banned
Shinraven said:
good they are updating stuff, but ill still use Xbmc and my 360 to stream stuff. i'll touch my ps3 when mlb 08 / wipeout hd comes out

cool input.Please give me some more.i could read your posts alll day my buddy

DrXym

ndiicm said:
massive amounts of (in my case organised) storage?

The PS3 allows you to stream if you like but you're not forced to. You could as easily burn DVDs with your content or plugin an external HDD and keep all your content on that.

Raistlin

Dot50Cal said:
True Picture in Picture support among other things. I think this brings the PS3 to full 2.0 compatibility, AFAIK the only thing different between Profile 1.1 and 2.0 is the ability to connect to the internet.

Also, the minimum requirement for storage is higher (256MB for 1.1, 1GB for 2.0 iirc) ... though obviously PS3 has that as well.

DrXym

ukiraros said:
YES

DivX support and VC-1 (WMV) support.

The FW for bluray profile 1.1 will automatically make the PS3 2.0 because the PS3 already has a standard ethernet/wifi for internet connection and HDD. Awesome stuff.

I'm not sure I actually want a player to call home when it feels like it. I feel the potential for abuse is too high. If they do go to 2.0 they'd better offer a switch to disable it.

Raistlin

DrXym said:
Exactly. Streaming is a useful supplement but its unreasonable (not to mention baroque and a waste of power) to require a PC just to send content to the PS3. This is why the Apple TV device is just so retarded - just what purpose is served by requiring another PC to buy, manage and hold the content?

While I love that the PS3 gives you options ... stating that having a media server is a waste, is just ...

NeoUltima

I'm no techie, but wouldn't In-game XMB take up a lot of ram? Or is the XMB always running in the background and we just don't have access to it?

NeoUltima said:
I'm no techie, but wouldn't In-game XMB take up a lot of ram? Or is the XMB always running in the background and we just don't have access to it?

There's about 72MB of ram reserved for the PS3's OS at all times.

icecream

Public Health Threat
navanman said:
Kotaku are wrong on this. Xvid is the open-source version of the DivX commercial codec and is fully complaint with DivX certified DVD players and the 360 Fall Update.
Technically no, since there xvid files that cannot play in a DivX certified player. There are options in xvid that are not officially supported by the DivX codec.

smurfx

get some go again
wow didn't expect wmv to be added as a ps3 playable format. now i will be able to watch all the ign videos on the ps3. anime on ps3 here i come. :D

Firewire

Banned
NeoUltima said:

Well Sony's tech guys stated about 6 months ago, that with every firmware update they are streamlining the functions that make up the XMB. So basically the memory needed to run certain applications within the XMB have been lowered.

deepbrown

I thought SOny had stealthed the DiVx support yesterday. Suddenly my PS3 was creating Icon's for all my AVI files streamed from my PS3...before it said "Unsupported Format".

Jim

NeoUltima said:

It's not in-game XMB, it's in-game messaging/soundtracks. There's no need for the whole damn frontend to be sitting there. The Xbox 360's entire dash isn't sitting in memory either, it's just more or less a widget with the required functions.

The OS already supports the receipt of messages and alerts. It's the friend's list and message composition that's not there at the moment.

Rhindle

DrXym said:
They didn't set it. Google "avi 2gb" and you'll find a ton of links about the issue, e.g.

http://neuron2.net/LVG/filesize.html

I guess Sony could have tried a little harder to support some of the workarounds but maybe they'd rather support the basics first since most DIVX files aren't going to be 2gb anyway. And maybe its possible to workaround the problem by moving the content into an .mp4 container.
I think it's a PS3 issue.

4GB+ divx/mpeg4 .avi files play back fine on PC media players and on the 360.

On the other hand, the PS3 seems to choke on most large HD video files, including most of my MPEG2 HDTV recordings.

DrXym

Rhindle said:
I think it's a PS3 issue.

4GB+ divx/mpeg4 .avi files play back fine on PC media players and on the 360.

On the other hand, the PS3 seems to choke on most large HD video files, including most of my MPEG2 HDTV recordings.

Search around, this issue has been there for a long time. I expect Sony have implemented AVI 1.0 and not any of the extensions such as OpenDML that workaround the issues. It may be possible to move ASP content into an MP4 container to workaround the issue, or just chop the files into bits.

Shinraven

sorry guys i did not get to read the full update please summarize for me :D

do we get divx 4/5/6 hd as well ? did they add anymore h264 containers ie mkv * drool

please say yes :lol

Crisis

Banned
Shinraven said:
sorry guys i did not get to read the full update please summarize for me :D

do we get divx 4/5/6 hd as well ? did they add anymore h264 containers ie mkv * drool

please say yes :lol

... It's in the first post.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
icecream said:
Technically no, since there xvid files that cannot play in a DivX certified player. There are options in xvid that are not officially supported by the DivX codec.

That may be true but you will never see a scene-release with those options enabled as its against the encoding rules for TXD2K5, etc..

Rhindle

DrXym said:
Search around, this issue has been there for a long time. I expect Sony have implemented AVI 1.0 and not any of the extensions such as OpenDML that workaround the issues. It may be possible to move ASP content into an MP4 container to workaround the issue, or just chop the files into bits.
I don't know whether it's a due to a workaround, but the problem doesn't exist in any media player I've ever tried. So why doesn't Sony implement whatever the solution is? It's not much use for HD playback otherwise, unless you're going to resort to chopping up files or extracting and reformatting containers.

Raist

Banned
deepbrown said:
I thought SOny had stealthed the DiVx support yesterday. Suddenly my PS3 was creating Icon's for all my AVI files streamed from my PS3...before it said "Unsupported Format".

It's been doing this since last FW update IIRC

Firewire

Banned
Lindsay said:
Come on stealth browser updates! Browsing GAF and other places with plugins is still painful! >_<;

Yeah I hate that, but I've noticed in the last few days I haven't been asked to run a plugin at all. Weird!

Raistlin

DrXym said:

I was under the impression it was a file system issue (FAT or whatever they use)?

Onix said:
I was under the impression it was a file system issue (FAT or whatever they use)?

I don't think the PS3 uses FAT for its internal harddrive (i.e. it can support large files), but the PS3 will only read from USB storage devices (e.g. external HDDs and flash media) that is formatted FAT16 or FAT32. I think the file size limit on the latter is 4GB.

And none of this has to do with this update and AVI file size limit.

Crisis

Banned
Bookey said:
so by tomorrow do they midnightish est, or tomorrow night?

Well tanod posted what happens historically. If it's slated for tomorrow in Europe (which it apparently is) we should be seeing it tonight in North America at around 10 EST. Then again this is an odd update because they almost always do this on a Wednesday.

Raistlin

Naked Snake said:
I don't think the PS3 uses FAT for its internal harddrive (i.e. it can support large files), but the PS3 will only read from USB storage devices (e.g. external HDDs and flash media) that is formatted FAT16 or FAT32. I think the file size limit on the latter is 4GB.

And none of this has to do with this update and AVI file size limit.

Ahh ... sorry.

I thought someone implied it was an issue on all files (including MPEG2). Didn't realize this was only AVI

Top Bottom