• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo WFC Online Activity (W/E December 30th)

Bo130

Hello,
We still didn't manage to break the Top 10-10k wall, but it's still very close. Perhaps next week? Otherwise it should be soon next year. Mario Kart DS finally managed to pass Animal Crossing for the Top 3 spot this week, but will it stick? Furthermore I'm not at home at the moment, and I've had a few problems gathering some of the data, mostly the overall data. I'm going to provide it as soon as I can, though. Also, the #12 isn't listed this week, my bad.
On the bright side, I've added a few more games in the upcoming activity section, which I started last week. Please check it out :)

The complete chart for week 51 of 2007 can be seen underneath. Enjoy :).

Please note

- The number of connections listed in here is not unique connections, just the total number of connections for the service during the past week.

- These data are straight off of Nintendo's Wi-Fi site, through the freeware program WFCStatus.

- A Top 100 was released by me three weeks ago. To compare, see it here.

---------------------This weeks Top 10---------------------

Right now I won't separate the list in DS / Wii, but I will do this, as more games get released for Wii.
New games on the Top 10 is written in bold. Games in italic haven't been released in America (yet).

1. [NDS] Pokémon Diamond & Pearl - 1,406,595 connections*
2. [WII] Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock - 657,787 connections
3. [NDS] Mario Kart DS - 293,901 connections
4. [NDS] Animal Crossing: Wild World - 283,666 connections
5. [NDS] Metroid Prime Hunters - 174,858 connections
6. [WII] Mario Strikers Charged - 142,262 connections
7. [WII] Pokémon Battle Revolution - 133,156 connections
8. [NDS] Ryuusei no RockMan 2: Berserk & Shinobi/Dinosaur - 120,031 connections**
9. [NDS] Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters: World Championship 2008 - 113,767 connections
10. [NDS] Jump! Ultimate Stars - 95,669 connections

* Pokémon Diamond - 825,790 | Pokémon Pearl - 580,805
** RockMan Shinobi - 66,155 | RockMan Dinosaur - 53,876

For comparison, last weeks chart:

1. [NDS] Pokémon Diamond & Pearl - 1,362,844 connections*
2. [WII] Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock - 558,888 connections
3. [NDS] Animal Crossing: Wild World - 276,298 connections
4. [NDS] Mario Kart DS - 258,391 connections
5. [NDS] Metroid Prime Hunters - 157,387 connections
6. [WII] Pokémon Battle Revolution - 130,100 connections
7. [WII] Mario Strikers Charged - 124,069 connections
8. [NDS] Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters: World Championship 2008 - 117,866 connections
9. [NDS] Ryuusei no RockMan 2: Berserk x Shinobi/Dinosaur - 113,974 connections**
10. [NDS] Jump! Ultimate Stars - 99,062 connections

* Pokémon Diamond - 802,878 | Pokémon Pearl - 559,966
** RockMan Shinobi - 63,102 | RockMan Dinosaur - 50,872

---------------------How about those latest online releases?---------------------

Europe | [WII] Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games | 69,626 connections
USA | [WII] NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams | 16,372 connections
USA | [NDS] Warhammer 40,000: Squad Command | 2,201 connections
Japan | [WII] FIFA 2008 | 41,945 connections
Japan | [NDS] Kousoku Card Battle: Card Hero | 40,778 connections
Japan | [WII] Chocobo no Fushigi na Dungeon: Toki Wasure No Meikyuu | 10,267 connections
Japan | [WII] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu Wii Ketteiban | 1,179 connections
Japan | [NDS] Heisei Kyouikuiinkai DS: Zengoku Touitsu Moshi Special | 156 connections
Japan | [NDS] DS Puzzler: Numpla Fan & Oekaki Logic Wi-Fi Taiou | 33 connections

---------------------Upcoming onlinegames---------------------

Europe:
* Wii Chess [Wii, January 18th]
* Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games [DS, January 22nd]
* NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams [Wii, January 25th]

America:
* Advance Wars: Days of Ruin [DS, January 21st]
* Endless Ocean [Wii, January 21st]
* Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games [DS, January 22nd]
* Professor Layton and the Curious Villiage [DS, February 4th]
* Super Smash Bros. Brawl [Wii, February 10th]

Japan:
* Rune Factory 2 [DS, January 3rd]
* Caduceus: New Blood [Wii, January 17th]
* Dairantou Smash Brothers X [Wii, January 24th]
* Hijouguchi: Exit DS [DS, January 24th]
* Medal of Honor Heroes 2 [Wii, February 14th]
* Fushigi no Dungeon - Furai no Shiren 3: Karakuri Yashiki no Nemuri Hime [Wii, February 28th]

---------------------Additional information---------------------

* Total number of connections for the week was 4,681,230, way up compared to last week of 4,356,104.

* Pokémon Diamond & Pokémon Pearl had a total share of all the connections made this week of ???%. The games in the Top 10 was responsible for a massive ???% of all connections.

* The game closest to Top 10 this week was The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass with 88,939 connections.

* A few interesting numbers for upcoming games for this week:

[WII] Super Smash Bros. Brawl - 4,435 connections
[WII] Mario Kart Wii - 2,147 connections
[WII] Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 - 1,799 connections
[NDS] Advance Wars: Days of Ruin - 74 connections
[NDS] Mario & Sonic at the Olympics - 7 connections

---------------------Archive---------------------

Nintendo WFC Online Activity (W/E December 16th) (NiGHTS released in America)
Nintendo WFC Online Activity (W/E December 9th)
Nintendo WFC Online Activity (W/E December 2nd)
Nintendo WFC Online Activity (W/E November 25th) (Mario & Sonic is released in Europe and Japan)
Nintendo WFC Online Activity (W/E November 18th) (Medal of Honor Heroes 2 released in America)

---------------------Feel free to ask!---------------------

As always - if you want information on a game not mentioned in the first post, please feel free to ask. I'll gladly give them to you :)

donny2112

I don't follow these threads too closely, but shouldn't this be for the week ending December 23rd? The thread you have labeled "Nintendo WFC Online Activity (W/E December 23rd) (NiGHTS released in America)" is actually W/E December 16th.

2DMention

Banned
I can't believe Tetris isn't on the list. Everytime I play there are tons of people on.

Do you have the hard numbers for Tetris?

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
2DMention said:
I can't believe Tetris isn't on the list. Everytime I play there are tons of people on.

Do you have the hard numbers for Tetris?

17. [NDS] Tetris DS - 48,400 connections from the week ending dec 3rd, im sure bo130 will have a more recent one soon!

edit: i FINALLY got the program working!

really is an amazing little program

tetrisconnect.jpg

Civil

AceBandage said:
GH3 is not only holding steady, but it got a 100K boost.
Nice.
Strange, I thought the Wii version had sold out until they had the stereo replacement version ready for shipment. But last time I played, I had a hard time making a match for random online play. Hopefully that's not the case now.

apujanata

Code:
[WII] Super Smash Bros. Brawl - 4,435 connections
[WII] Mario Kart Wii - 2,147 connections
[NDS] Advance Wars: Days of Ruin - 74 connections

I can hardly wait to these games.

Lobster

Banned
Civil said:
Strange, I thought the Wii version had sold out until they had the stereo replacement version ready for shipment. But last time I played, I had a hard time making a match for random online play. Hopefully that's not the case now.

Its region locked :\ I try online in AUS and I get nothing :(

Sharp

I finally got to play GH3 online recently, and I think the boost has less to do with copies sold and more to do with the Christmas party spirit. Also, way too many online gamers are huge whiny bitches and quit whenever they start to lose. It's pathetic.

Lobster

Banned
Sharp said:
I finally got to play GH3 online recently, and I think the boost has less to do with copies sold and more to do with the Christmas party spirit. Also, way too many online gamers are huge whiny bitches and quit whenever they start to lose. It's pathetic.

Especially when you beat them at their own song lol.

Your best bet is to set up the game yourself. Whenever I create the match someone joins within the first minute. I think too many people search for a game in GHIII and don't create enough.

Bo130

Syth_Blade22 said:
17. [NDS] Tetris DS - 48,400 connections from the week ending dec 3rd, im sure bo130 will have a more recent one soon!

Yes, I do a new one each 4th week, so next week. The topic will be a little late, as I'm not home around that date, but when it's there, there will be a new Top 100 :)

Bo130

Monday - wow, biggest monday ever!? Guitar Hero beats everything...! Mario Kart is still above Animal Crossing, by far now!

[WII] Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock - 140,797 connections
[NDS] Pokémon Diamond - 126,118 connections

[NDS] Mario Kart DS - 52,072 connections
[NDS] Animal Crossing: Wild World - 43,326 connections

[NDS] Yu-Gi-Oh 2008 - 19,474 connections
[WII] Mario & Sonic at the Olympics - 18,211 connections
[NDS] Card Hero - 11,082 connections

[WII] {upcoming} Super Smash Bros. Brawl - 350 connections
[WII] {upcoming} Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 - 205 connections
[WII] {upcoming} Mario Kart Wii - 136 connections
[NDS] {upcoming} Mario & Sonic at the Olympics - 5 connections
[NDS] {upcoming} Advance Wars: Days of Ruin - 0 connections

apujanata

Bo130 said:
Monday - wow, biggest monday ever!? Guitar Hero beats everything...! Mario Kart is still above Animal Crossing, by far now!

[WII] Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock - 140,797 connections
[NDS] Pokémon Diamond - 126,118 connections

[NDS] Mario Kart DS - 52,072 connections
[NDS] Animal Crossing: Wild World - 43,326 connections

[NDS] Yu-Gi-Oh 2008 - 19,474 connections
[WII] Mario & Sonic at the Olympics - 18,211 connections
[NDS] Card Hero - 11,082 connections

[WII] {upcoming} Super Smash Bros. Brawl - 350 connections
[WII] {upcoming} Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 - 205 connections
[WII] {upcoming} Mario Kart Wii - 136 connections
[NDS] {upcoming} Mario & Sonic at the Olympics - 5 connections

Must be the effect of christmas gathering for GH3. Playing guitar game together with your family FTW ?
In christmas day, Nintendo staff are still testing SSBB and MK Wii ? Is there no holiday for them ? Or are they playing those game from their home ?

apujanata said:
Must be the effect of christmas gathering for GH3. Playing guitar game together with your family FTW ?
In christmas day, Nintendo staff are still testing SSBB and MK Wii ? Is there no holiday for them ? Or are they playing those game from their home ?

You know, if I was able to, I'd be testing SSBB right now too.

Bo130

Tuesday - holy carp... The more american-orientated games got an unlikely big boost today. Guitar Hero, Mario & Sonic and Mario Kart. Look at them! Seeing this, I looked at Mario Strikers and Hunters as well, but nothing really unordinary there, just a big day.

[WII] Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock - 245,930 connections (O.M.F.G!)
[NDS] Pokémon Diamond - 109,193 connections

[NDS] Mario Kart DS - 56,899 connections
[NDS] Animal Crossing: Wild World - 38,927 connections

[WII] Mario & Sonic at the Olympics - 30,545 connections (WOW!)
[WII] Mario Strikers Charged - 25,005 connections
[NDS] Metroid Prime Hunters - 23,707 connections

[NDS] Yu-Gi-Oh 2008 - 19,940 connections
[NDS] Card Hero - 10,284 connections

[WII] {upcoming} Super Smash Bros. Brawl - 380 connections
[WII] {upcoming} Mario Kart Wii - 297 connections
[WII] {upcoming} Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 - 183 connections
[NDS] {upcoming} Mario & Sonic at the Olympics - 17 connections

Bo130

Nice, thank you. If anyone finds anything else like this, please list 'em :D. We should very much be able to pass the Top 10 - 10k goal this week :)

Zodiak: I recall a week some months ago around the same. I don't know if it's a new record. Perhaps a equal week happened right at the beginning of the service as well, I don't know that.

apujanata

Lobster said:
Holy shit at GH3. Sales must have gone through the roof.

I don't think it is caused by sales. I think it is caused by the fact that it is christmas, everyone was home (not working), and lots of people play GH3, and also goes online.

What kind of online capability GH3 offer ? Leaderboard only ? Vs. play ?

apujanata said:
I don't think it is caused by sales. I think it is caused by the fact that it is christmas, everyone was home (not working), and lots of people play GH3, and also goes online.

What kind of online capability GH3 offer ? Leaderboard only ? Vs. play ?

I don't know, pretty much any male in my family under 30 got Guitar Hero 3 for 360 or Wii for Christmas.

Bo130

I think it's a good bit of both. We should be able to say something about it, when we get todays numbers. I just got home and wanted to see which games had these huge boost.

Here's a list I gathered. I've written the percentage compared to monday in brackets, not to be the highlight of the list, though, so it's only to have an order to list them in. I've only included active games (1,000+ connections for both monday and tuesday). The list should include all active games with a boost of 25% or above.

[WII] Rayman Raving Rabbids 2 - 11,701 connections (+146%)
[WII] Medal of Honor Heroes 2 - 31,298 connections (+126%)
[WII] Battalion Wars II - 5,656 connections (+112%)

[NDS] The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass - 39,310 connections (+86%)
[WII] Madden NFL 2008 - 10,246 connections (+85%)
[WII] NBA Live 2008 - 3,017 connections (+80%)
[NDS] Sonic Rush Adventures - 2,510 connections (+77%)
[WII] Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock - 245,930 connections (+75%)

[WII] Mario & Sonic at the Olympics - 30,545 connections (+68%)
[WII] Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3 - 10,087 connections (+63%)
[WII] Ghost Squad - 4,266 connections (+60%)

[WII] Pokémon Battle Revolution - 37,967 connections (+46%)
[NDS] FIFA 2008 - 4,166 connections (+45%)
[WII] FIFA 2008 - 11,088 connections (+37%)
[NDS] Ultimate Mortal Kombat - 3,523 connections (+32%)
[NDS] Mario vs. Donkey Kong: March of the Minis - 1,420 connections (+28%)
[NDS] Diddy Kong Racing DS - 2,207 connections (+25%)

Very american, hehe. Also, very big ratio of Wii-games!

apujanata

Bo130 said:
I think it's a good bit of both. We should be able to say something about it, when we get todays numbers. I just got home and wanted to see which games had these huge boost.

Here's a list I gathered. I've written the percentage compared to monday in brackets, not to be the highlight of the list, though, so it's only to have an order to list them in. I've only included active games (1,000+ connections for both monday and tuesday). The list should include all active games with a boost of 25% or above.

Now all you have to do is made a Tuesday (Christmas) vs Wednesday comparison, as you mentioned, and we will know what is the major reason for GH3 increase (is it sales, or is it christmas).

Bo130

apujanata said:
Now all you have to do is made a Tuesday (Christmas) vs Wednesday comparison, as you mentioned, and we will know what is the major reason for GH3 increase (is it sales, or is it christmas).

Sigh... :p What do you mean? The biggest drop offs or the percentages for the games listed above? I expect the latter.

Cynar

Don't forget that you automatically connect to Nintendo WFC whenever you load up GH3, unlike the other games on those list.

Sharp

Cynar said:
Don't forget that you automatically connect to Nintendo WFC whenever you load up GH3, unlike the other games on those list.
Is that true? And, if so, would it count as a unique session?

Bo130

Wow... Check out this total number of connections:

Tuesday (the amazing day from yesterday) - 987,236 connections

Now, look at this:

Wednesday - 1,034,558 connections.

It actually went up! I'm pretty sure it's a new record as well. OMFG. Full details, when I've gathered it. But Guitar Hero went up about a thousand connections.

Bo130

It's mostly the same games still dominating, some a bit up, some a bit down, so I've done this instead. This is the Top 10 for next week, if the week continues like this (the average for the three first days going on for the four last days as well).

------------

1. [WII] Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock - 1,477,513 connections [+1]
2. [NDS] Pokémon Diamond & Pearl - 1,406,678 connections [-1]
3. [NDS] Mario Kart DS - 403,268 connections [--]
4. [NDS] Animal Crossing: Wild World - 320,339 connections [--]
5. [WII] Pokémon Battle Revolution - 248,822 connections [+2]
6. [NDS] The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass - 227,507 connections [+5]
7. [WII] Mario Strikers Charged - 208,086 connections [-1]
8. [WII] Mario & Sonic at the Olympics - 195,557 connections [??]
9. [NDS] Metroid Prime Hunters - 183,801 connections [-4]
10. [WII] Medal of Honor Heroes 2 - 168,327 connections [??]

---------

It's half/half for Wii-games and DS-games. I've highlighted the games that, if the list were the right one, would be newcomers. Guitar Hero is above Pokémon, could it really happen? And, as you can see, a 100,000+ week for all of the games in the Top 10 seems pretty possible by now.

Bo130

slaughterking said:
What were the usual daily numbers?

For a normal first-days-of-the-week day the numbers usually don't differ much from 550,000.

For Ultimate Mortal Kombat it usually is about 2,100 connections each day through the week. It's at 3,778 for wednesday.

Bo130 said:
It's mostly the same games still dominating, some a bit up, some a bit down, so I've done this instead. This is the Top 10 for next week, if the week continues like this (the average for the three first days going on for the four last days as well).

------------

---------

It's half/half for Wii-games and DS-games. I've highlighted the games that, if the list were the right one, would be newcomers. Guitar Hero is above Pokémon, could it really happen? And, as you can see, a 100,000+ week for all of the games in the Top 10 seems pretty possible by now.

Freaking amazing for MoH:H2, considering how small the userbase is. Proof that online shooters do have a home on the Wii.

Sharp

Bo130 said:
Wow... Check out this total number of connections:

Tuesday (the amazing day from yesterday) - 987,236 connections

Now, look at this:

Wednesday - 1,034,558 connections.

It actually went up! I'm pretty sure it's a new record as well. OMFG. Full details, when I've gathered it. But Guitar Hero went up about a thousand connections.
Hm, guess a lot of people got GH3 for Christmas.

zsidane

PBMax said:
How are you gathering these numbers?
From the OP:
Bo130 said:
- The number of connections listed in here is not unique connections, just the total number of connections for the service during the past week.

- These data are straight off of Nintendo's Wi-Fi site, through the freeware program WFCStatus.

apujanata

Bo130 said:

------------

---------

Great news all around. Many thanks for the dedication of monitoring and posting these things, Bo130.

Bo130

It went down for thursday, but it's still pretty high.

Total connections for thursday - 849,228 connections

Bo130

Friday, pretty much all games are up and total number of connections sets a new record: 1,084,258 connections.

This is so going to be the biggest week for a LONG time, at least until Brawl releases.

Kevtones

Damn, MoH2 is doing pretty well. I think the game might have sold pretty well in its second month (we've been selling out at my store at least)

MOH used to be readilly available on my gamefly queue so I held that off in favor of Mario Galaxy but it's been "low" for a very long time now, especially a few weeks after release. Probably is gaining some positive word of mouth.

wish the game itself could have been alot better, with better EA backing. They could have had a real hit on their hands.

Top Bottom