• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 3 more players online than Counter-Strike?

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
I know Counter-Strike has been known as the king of FPS (most popular, etc.) for years now but I was checking and comparing stats just now and in-game Halo 3 reports 450,464 gamers while Bungie.net reports 238,592 players online. Don't know which one is accurate but both figures top Counter-Strike numbers on steampowered.com

Counter-Strike 161,493
Counter-Strike: Source 38,544
Counter-Strike Condition Zero 18,342

hmm..

Cerrius said:
I know Counter-Strike has been known as the king of FPS (most popular, etc.) for years now but I was checking and comparing stats just now and in-game Halo 3 reports 450,464 gamers while Bungie.net reports 238,592 players online. Don't know which one is accurate but both figures top Counter-Strike numbers on steampowered.com

Counter-Strike 161,493

hmm..

yeah but people 10 years from now will STILL be playing cs online.

strikeselect

Just pointing these stats out because PC gaming elitists like to flaunt that CS is the most played online FPS when it seems like that's not the case anymore.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Cerrius said:

Counter-Strike 161,493

hmm..

During peak it's higher than CS. CS consistently out performs halo with minutes played which is the only way to compare titles considering the bases tend to have different times. Both companies skew stats to make one look better than the other despite the fact they are relatively equally.

Cerrius said:
Just pointing these stats out because PC gaming elitists like to flaunt that CS is the most played online FPS when it seems like that's not the case anymore.

yeah but halo 3 finally beat a what 10 year old game?

not much to whoop about

and if your pc can run word it can run cs, not much elitists about it.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Cerrius said:
well u sure owned them mass props bro

strikeselect

Like I said before, I just thought it was interesting to point these stats out

I love CS as well as Halo

LCGeek

formerly sane
Cerrius said:

You skewed the stats to a current argument. Break down the montly or average played minutes for both games it's not even funny how much CS kills any other fps game.

This is something I just took from steam stats/status page

Players Online: 258,053 454,220 (Current Peak)

Considering the bulk of players on steam period fall to cs it's not hard to figure out during peak there could easily be enough players in cs version totaling above 300k.

Cherry Picked arguments ftl.

Cerrius said:

i dislike both (now)

but have a gaming pc and a 360 and both games....

er.... I dunno

mebbe i just hate shooters now.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
I used to play the hell out CS but man I just got over with the one bullet to the body and you are dead thing. I like somewhat arcady team based fps, Right Now TFT 2 pc is occupying all my time with some le Warhawk on the side.

KINGMOKU

Wow isnt that fucking great! woohoo! Even though it wont find a fucking game for me to play right now, AWESOME for Bungle and thier awesome matchmaking that wont fucking find me a game.

Fucking fuckers. WTF is with Live lately?

TxdoHawk

Cerrius said:

From what I've seen, people point to Counter-Strike as more of a hallmark of enduring online communities for PC gaming. I think the Halos are just as obsessed over, personally, but in general it seems PC games have longer-lasting online communities.

Side note: Are there really many PC gaming elitists left? I keep seeing console kids snickering at these supposed people, but I haven't seen any in awhile. As much as I love my gaming PC, consoles have caught up big-time, and the days of bragging about clear gaming dominance are long over. My 360 gets a lot more gaming use than my PC does.

Quagm1r3

Surprising?

Considering CS has been out for 10 years I'm surprised ANYONE is still playing it. This isn't really a fair comparison. Check bungie.net in 10 years, that is, if they even bother keeping records of Halo 3 online in 10 years.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
moku said:
Wow isnt that fucking great! woohoo! Even though it wont find a fucking game for me to play right now, AWESOME for Bungle and thier awesome matchmaking that wont fucking find me a game.

Fucking fuckers. WTF is with Live lately?
HAHAHAHHAHAHAHA YOU CALLED THEM BUNGLE HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA LIKE IF THEY BUNGLED IT HAHAHAHA HOLY SHIT MY SIDES ARE SPLITTING WHERE ARE MY SEDATno just no moku

Ventrue

LCGeek said:
You skewed the stats to a current argument. Break down the montly or average played minutes for both games it's not even funny how much CS kills any other fps game.

This is something I just took from steam stats/status page

Players Online: 258,053 454,220 (Current Peak)

Considering the bulk of players on steam period fall to cs it's not hard to figure out during peak there could easily be enough players in cs version totaling above 300k.

Cherry Picked arguments ftl.

Don't his numbers show exactly how many people on Steam are playing CS? And wouldn't the peak hours for both be roughly the same? I don't understand.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Ventrue said:
Don't his numbers show exactly how many people on Steam are playing CS? And wouldn't the peak hours for both be roughly the same? I don't understand.

Current fluctuates for both so it's not a real judge of which is really out doing another. On a league night for Cal I have a hard time seeing halo current beating out cs same for weekend peaks when wew crowd comes. Ever since the communities started comparing numbers I've noticed a lot of spinning to try and put one over the other despite the fact they seem relatively the same. Bungie doesn't list peak

Case and point why current sucks

Halo 3 Players Online:242,197

CS on stats when you total all versions is about 220 people are trying to argue a 20k difference is huge what is this a sales argument between PS3 and GBA.

KINGMOKU

Crushed said:
HAHAHAHHAHAHAHA YOU CALLED THEM BUNGLE HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA LIKE IF THEY BUNGLED IT HAHAHAHA HOLY SHIT MY SIDES ARE SPLITTING WHERE ARE MY SEDATno just no moku
I thought it was funny. It would seem though, that your display is funnier, so hats off sir!

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Someone said it already
CS is constant
Halo spikes

Halo gets the records for most online at insert time
CS gets more hours played daily,etc

saelz8

2qd207d.jpg

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
ZombieSupaStar said:
yeah but halo 3 finally beat a what 10 year old game?

not much to whoop about

and if your pc can run word it can run cs, not much elitists about it.
So Halo 2 didn't have similar stats to Halo 3, even with a larger userbase... is that what you are saying?

Quagm1r3 said:
Surprising?

Considering CS has been out for 10 years I'm surprised ANYONE is still playing it. This isn't really a fair comparison. Check bungie.net in 10 years, that is, if they even bother keeping records of Halo 3 online in 10 years.
I assume they would make a game with a bigger online population by then. I mean, Bungie always improves on their creations and thats why people move on.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
And yet CS is a billion times more competitive than halo has or will ever be.

You can take that to the bank and stat it !

LCGeek

formerly sane
segarr said:
This can't be true. Everyone collectively stopped playing Halo 3 as soon as COD4 came out.

And they should such a better game glad to see some console fps gamers weren't nearly as dumb as I thought.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Draft said:
This news seems to upset and disgust many people.

Nah just the elitist as some mentioned. It's nothing off my back just fun to see these two groups fighting and bickering about two decent fps games.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
M3wThr33 said:
Tell me when businesses open up around playing Halo.
This may sound funny, but in third world countries where the price of consoles is very expensive there are places where you can rent a 360 to play it there. They are like internet cafe's but with consoles instead of computers and what people play most right now are games like Halo 3 and Winning Eleven 10. I was just recently in 3 countries from South America (Argentina, Chile Peru) and this is what I got from my trip. Its funny because I always wondered who would be able to afford Xbox Live in those countries and it is exactly these places the ones that have Xbox Live connections.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
So, ten year old free video game on open platform is briefly topped by new game on closed platform costing $60. Forgive me if I don't see why this is more than an interesting blip.

Apples, Oranges.

Odysseus

Banned
Stinkles said:
So, ten year old free video game on open platform is briefly topped by new game on closed platform costing $60. Forgive me if I don't see why this is more than an interesting blip.

Apples, Oranges.

ignore this halo hating troll

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Stinkles said:

Apples, Oranges.
CounterStrike hasn't been free for years, I'm afraid. :\

Grayman

Stinkles said:

Apples, Oranges.
Where can you get CS for free?

It costs everyone money at some point because of needing a Half life purchase

LCGeek

formerly sane
Crushed said:
CounterStrike hasn't been free for years, I'm afraid. :\

CS was never really free you always need a product that you could download the mod into it. Since valve took over it's been a direct purchase. CS is only free if you buy another product like Hl2 silver or the original HL package and it comes along. Depending how you look at it can be free or a direct purchase.

FiRez

segarr said:
This can't be true. Everyone collectively stopped playing Halo 3 as soon as COD4 came out.

I wish :(
Is hard to convince someone that CoD4 is a better game when it doesn't support split screen in xbox live

Top Bottom