• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 3 more players online than Counter-Strike?

LCGeek

formerly sane
FiRez said:
I wish :(
Is hard to convince someone that CoD4 is a better game when it doesn't support split screen in xbox live

Split screen sucks. For a group that likes lan, halo crowds, they sure love the hackish tv mentality vs the tradional method established by early fps fans of doom2 and quake gamers. This is one of the areas my elitism does show it's retarded to do split screen lanning defeats the point of setting up a lan to begin with. Funny enough MS supports despite the fact their Gaming Zone on the pc was one first places during early only gaming to let people use ipx.spx protocols to lan online.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
FiRez said:
Is hard to convince someone that CoD4 is a better game when it doesn't support split screen in xbox live

don't worry firez - plenty of folks playing cod4 too.

FiRez

LCGeek said:
Split screen sucks. For a group that likes lan, halo crowds, they sure love the hackish tv mentality vs the tradional method established by early fps fans of doom2 and quake gamers. This is one of the areas my elitism does show it's retarded to do split screen lanning defeats the point of setting up a lan to begin with. Funny enough MS supports despite the fact their Gaming Zone on the pc was one first places during early only gaming to let people use ipx.spx protocols to lan online.

yes, I can barely play with the screen split in 2, much worse split in 4, is fucking awful

Stinkles said:
don't worry firez - plenty of folks playing cod4 too.

I still play Halo 3 <3, besides I was talking about the LAN scene around me, everyone and their grand ma's have H3 but I'm always alone playing CoD4

LCGeek

formerly sane
FiRez said:
yes, I can barely play with the screen split in 2, much worse split in 4, is fucking awful

I still play Halo 3 <3

Only time I enjoy split screen is on my friend's beezy gigantic dlp projector then again who could turn down 42" of fun?

LCGeek

formerly sane
plague said:

I feel offended you said considering I know some of the organizers that started it. MLG does multiple games yes halo is a focus but's not the only focus it's almost like SSBM players saying mlg started because of that game. MLG is great for console gaming because they are doing what great leagues for pc gaming did for the console platform.

plague

LCGeek said:
I feel offended you said considering I know some of the organizers that started it. MLG does multiple games yes halo is a focus but's not the only focus it's almost like SSBM players saying mlg started because of that game. MLG is great for console gaming because they are doing what great leagues for pc gaming did for the console platform.

<Shrug> their big thing is Halo. Shadowrun or whatever just doesn't have the same mass market appeal, thus my statement that their business centers (currently) around Halo. </end shrug>

LCGeek

formerly sane
plague said:
You're right, Shadowrun tournaments are a good business model.

For some it's a business though with the money you make from mlg it's not that good for a 5 man team. They do various games across all genres and socialize console gamers in ways that hasn't been done. The comment is just typical out of halo group and giving accolades or achievements to it that's it's not responsible for par for the course if you ask me in any topic that involves the game. I'm done touching this subject seeing as how it's gonna go nowhere except down a typical and quite familiar road.

plague

LCGeek said:
For some it's a business though with the money you make from mlg it's not that good for a 5 man team. They do various games across all genres and social console gamers in ways that hasn't been done. The comment is just typical out of halo group and giving accolades or achievements to it that's it's not responsible for par for the course if you ask me in any topic that involves the game. I'm done touching this subject seeing as how it's gonna go nowhere except down a typical and quite familiar road.

I think MLG is great. I was even at the Vegas championships and got killed a lot by Final Boss in an exhibition match. I was just trying to think of businesses supported by other games as someone suggested people did with Counterstrike and gaming LAN centers.

LCGeek

formerly sane
plague said:
I think MLG is great. I was even at the Vegas championships and got killed a lot by Final Boss in an exhibition match. I was just trying to think of businesses supported by other games as someone suggested people did with Counterstrike and gaming LAN centers.

Then I read you wrong. I don't keep up with Halo competitively, not even gonna discuss why as the discussion won't stay civil. I've seen lan centers like someone mentioned myself which to me is a seperate issue from how leagues with large pockets operate. Be interesting to see what valve's numbers of licensing for CS is vs what halo offers but that's not really fair comparison considering how much more accepted lan gaming is for pc than console.

Zzoram

The number Halo 3 reports is the number of people playing Halo 3 connected to Live (single or multi-player), while the Bungie.net number is the number of people playing online games.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
FiRez said:

I still play Halo 3 <3, besides I was talking about the LAN scene around me, everyone and their grand ma's have H3 but I'm always alone playing CoD4

I was gonna say, about a third of my online friends are playing COD. Woud almost be cool if it reported who was on LAN, so you could be jealous of their beer.

Grayman

TemplaerDude said:
never been able to enjoy cs. it's all about the headshots. just doesn't seem fun to me.
I enjoyed it for a short while in 2001 but then went back to my true love, quake.

Apparently HL had a bug with vsync and mouse response, (i was a noob back then and may have been using it or not) and I just generally thought it was a bad engine to aim with.

I also played through speed hack and model hack, made it pretty funny but shitty.

LCGeek

formerly sane
TemplaerDude said:
never been able to enjoy cs. it's all about the headshots. just doesn't seem fun to me.

Considering the type of game it is like any other tactical game where aiming at specific takes a focus yeah headshots are gonna be necessary if you want to kill people the quickest. Just sounds like you can take up a skill that at best take 3 weeks of a little bit of training.

Shoho

Banned
anyone got any numbers for how many people are playing:

world of warcraft

guild wars

lineage 2

it would be fun to see the numbers...

LCGeek said:
because getting 8+ tvs and 8+ xboxes in one room is easy, right? right?

even if I weren't a retarded halo fanboy, I would root for its success just because of how badly some people here take it. pointless comparison, though.

Nutter

FiRez said:
You still going strong eh Firez.

So, considering what you hated in H2, what do you hate in H3?

CS:S is loads more fun than anything the Halo series has to offer EXCEPT Halo 1 Lan play with 8 people
You must be one of those pistol lovers.

Dire

FiRez said:

For some folks it's not an option. I like to play games online with my girlfriend. If it doesn't support split screen then we can't play. I wouldn't mind buying another 360 so much but then you have to buy another copy of every game and unless she wants to play on my little 24" LCD monitors we'd have to buy another TV. Just adds up to alot of extra costs.

It's the reason we still play Halo 3 over COD4 - because we can, even if I do agree that COD4 is superior in just about every way.

Splitscreen to me depends on the game. Halo isn't a big deal to me because it isn't to hard to spot an opponent and there isn't an insane amount of minor details on screen that could get you killed. Enemy location can be pretty obvious and I find it pretty easy to play through on split.

Something like CoD4 on split would be almost impossible though. So many small guys running around with SO much cover this way and that. Also dying in one or two shots and lining up a shot through the guns sights? It'd be quite a chore through split. As far as Counter-strike goes, I wouldn't be surprised to see that they are receiving about equal attention right now. Its a game with tremendous legs though :lol. People say that the Halo community will keep moving to the next game. I'd agree for the most part, except we don't know what Bungie is working on next. Its true we'll likely see a Halo in the future, but its future is really in the shadows for now.

Grayman

Shoho said:
anyone got any numbers for how many people are playing:

world of warcraft

guild wars

lineage 2

it would be fun to see the numbers...
Which numbers would be fair to compare though?

I don't know if anyone gets players at one instance for MMOs(but in some games these are easier to reverse engineer than getting sub numbers). Unique CS per month numbers may be impossible or hard to get.

With active in a month/subscription you are going to get single CS players that count multiple times for the persistent world games.

With surveys like neilson you are going to get data that can be emprically proved as bullshit like halo 2 *PC* being bigger than CS.

LCGeek

formerly sane
warbegins said:
because getting 8+ tvs and 8+ xboxes in one room is easy, right? right?

even if I weren't a retarded halo fanboy, I would root for its success just because of how badly some people here take it. pointless comparison, though.

Perspective is a funny thing

I think it's harder to do the same with pcs and you have more hardware yet pc gamers have no problem lanning amirite?

I was playing CS:Source last week and was surprised by the amount of empty servers I saw. There definitley seemed to be less people playing than a couple of years ago. I couldnt find many packed british servers which was weird.

ice cream

Banned
Stop referring CS:S as the REAL cs.
1.6 is the REAL CS. Source is shameful when compared to 1.6 and the amount of things source changed and messed up is laughable.

Aegus

godisturbed said:
I was playing CS:Source last week and was surprised by the amount of empty servers I saw. There definitley seemed to be less people playing than a couple of years ago. I couldnt find many packed british servers which was weird.

The thing with servers is, well the thing is that they're 24/7 see, generally spread across the entire world and people won't really play on a server that is on the other side of the world due to lag.

Hence empty servers.

oneHeero

ice cream said:
Stop referring CS:S as the REAL cs.
1.6 is the REAL CS. Source is shameful when compared to 1.6 and the amount of things source changed and messed up is laughable.
1.5>1.6

Metalmurphy said:
Halo 3 Players Online: 43,566

Counter-Strike 310,763
Counter-Strike: Source 74,692

What?
Wrong time of the day maybe?

Halo may or may not beat counter strike but theres more then that in the evening time for me.

besada

Banned
This was a bad idea for a thread. Isn't there enough hate in the world already?

Give peace a chance.

Peace.

-- John Lennon

Prine

Banned
FiRez said:

I tried so hard to like COD4, i cant stand the shooting mechanics. Sorry bro

After a few months of no Halo3, i've fell in love with the game again (mostly all my close friends purchasing XBox and Halo 3 for Christmas)

So much fun online

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
besada said:
This was a bad idea for a thread. Isn't there enough hate in the world already?

Give peace a chance.

Peace.

-- John Lennon
Yeah, it was only a matter of time before we had a Halo 3 vs. Counter-Strike thread. I'm actually surprised it took this long.

HolyStar

Banned
Ok, about the whole hours played vs. number of players argument is a weak one at that. All that means is that Halo has more younger people playing it that play it after school/practice/free time. Counter-Strike might be the same case, but has more nerds who don't have a life on it playing it constantly (not saying Halo doesn't have these, just that CS just has more)

LCGeek said:
Perspective is a funny thing

I think it's harder to do the same with pcs and you have more hardware yet pc gamers have no problem lanning amirite?
the only time I've had successful PC lan parties is with a big group of nerds, and it was once in a blue moon. with halo, I've been able to throw many impromptu parties where people who owned neither the game nor the console could participate and have a great time. I have plenty of friends that are not hardcore gamers, yet love a long night of yelling, swearing, and over the top multiplayer action. maybe all of your friends are giant nerds that own (or more likely warez) every mp pc game out there and pcs that can run them, but a Halo lan is infinitely easier to throw together than a PC lan. period.

warbegins said:
the only time I've had successful PC lan parties is with a big group of nerds, and it was once in a blue moon. with halo, I've been able to throw many impromptu parties where people who owned neither the game nor the console could participate and have a great time. I have plenty of friends that are not hardcore gamers, yet love a long night of yelling, swearing, and over the top multiplayer action. maybe all of your friends are giant nerds that own (or more likely warez) every mp pc game out there and pcs that can run them, but a Halo lan is infinitely easier to throw together than a PC lan. period.

you post on the internet about video games.

Welcome to the club. :D

LCGeek

formerly sane
warbegins said:

Not even in the slightest I've seen and been to more pc lans both casual and tourney since I started playing quake competitively than I've ever seen of halo lans. Seems you just like talking from personal experience instead of looking what is. PC fps players enjoy a better lan community globally than consoles most likely ever will.

So what if you got in with a big group of nerds, are you trying to say your not despite the fact you went to a lan? Sounds to me like you're denial making fun of nerds on a message board I'm pretty sure most would agree on some level you're a nerd or geek.

BTW I barely own that many new pc titles let alone mp based games I stick to a set of few typically but hey personal attacks and pulling crap out of your ass seems to be the only thing coming out this crowd when talking about it. Warez isn't my thing and most mp games we play you need a legit cd key for since they are online based.

Hmm, I was always under the assumption that the Halo 2 community as well as the Gears community had and are (gears) bigger than Halo 3. Do the numbers show otherwise?

Diablohead said:
Wrong time of the day maybe?

Halo may or may not beat counter strike but theres more then that in the evening time for me.

Point is, CS, at every time of the day, has tons of players.

Halo only has them when the US is awake :p

Tieno

Byakuya769 said:
Hmm, I was always under the assumption that the Halo 2 community as well as the Gears community had and are (gears) bigger than Halo 3. Do the numbers show otherwise?
Yes. Halo 3 has the biggest community on xbox live.

Top Bottom