• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization Revolution - Under the radar?

Zzoram

Azih said:
I demand that Frag change his avatar to include "except for CivRev"

and I hated Civ 3 and loved Civ 4. Still has that annoying million unit movement end game issue though.

Ya, as much as I love Civ4, if I play on a normal sized map, the end game gets a bit tedious with the 10 minute long turns.

I always play Normal speed on Noble or Prince. Epic speed is easier to beat the AI at, but the games end up taking me 14+ hours. Normal speed games I can do in just under 10. It's very frustrating if you just played a 14 hour game only to lose.

Gattsu25

Banned
Zzoram said:
You are correct in saying that the game is best tuned for play vs the AI. In fact, Civilization 4 is the only strategy game that I actually enjoy playing skirmishes against the AI over and over again using the same or different settings. In real-time strategy games, it is never fun to play against the AI. Maybe it's the turn based genre, or the incredible gameplay and AI of Civilization, but somehow it does skirmishes vs the AI right.
Have you played Galactic Civilization 2, as well?

If you want a speedier Civ4 game on normal, just focus on two wars (at classical and medieval period) on a pangea/hemispheres map and win via domination. I burned through a couple of games earlier this year that way.

Apostolic Palace wins are even faster, but are way trickier to pull off.

Oh, I did a one-night game with a cultural win. If you are playing a Creative or Philosophical leader, the game virtually wins itself.

Zzoram

Gattsu25 said:
Have you played Galactic Civilization 2, as well?

No, I have only played Civ2 and Civ4. I actually own Civilization Chronicles (contains Civ1, Civ2+all expansions, Civ3+all expansions, Civ4) but Civ4 dominates my Civ time. I haven't played it in a while though, I had to stop so I could experience all the good games in 2007. When I finish with The Witcher and Super Mario Galaxy, I might get back into Civ4 again.

zer0das

Banned
I'm kind of skeptical. I'd like to see some gameplay trailers before I'm sold. The way there's only production, commerce, or food on a square seems kind of iffy. The new civ bonuses for reaching a era that accumulate seem awesome, but I can imagine that becoming unbalanced rather quickly.

It has some promise though. :D

Zzoram

Fragamemnon said:
If you want a speedier Civ4 game on normal, just focus on two wars (at classical and medieval period) on a pangea/hemispheres map and win via domination. I burned through a couple of games earlier this year that way.

Apostolic Palace wins are even faster, but are way trickier to pull off.

Oh, I did a one-night game with a cultural win. If you are playing a Creative or Philosophical leader, the game virtually wins itself.

I am bad at diplomacy, and I can only pull off successful Axemen rushes 1/4 of the times I try them. I'm still pretty noob though, I think I'm only about 100 hours experienced.

Gattsu25

Banned
Zzoram said:
No, I have only played Civ2 and Civ4. I actually own Civilization Chronicles (contains Civ1, Civ2+all expansions, Civ3+all expansions, Civ4) but Civ4 dominates my Civ time. I haven't played it in a while though, I had to stop so I could experience all the good games in 2007. When I finish with The Witcher and Super Mario Galaxy, I might get back into Civ4 again.
Give GalCiv2 a shot, the AI in the game is pretty damned spectacular...especially at higher levels

Zzoram

Gattsu25 said:
Give GalCiv2 a shot, the AI in the game is pretty damned spectacular...especially at higher levels

If it's like Civilization 4, I don't have time for it yet sadly. These games are more addicting than MMORPGs to me, so I have to be careful to make sure I have time for other games/life :lol

Gattsu25 said:

Masochistic/Obscene AI in GalCiv2 is the best fight any turn-based strategy game has ever given me in recent memory. The new expansion coming out in March looks great, though I really wish it was out in the cold winter months when turn-based strategies and hot cocoa go hand in hand.

ElectricBlue187 said:
If this is the future of Civ i'll stick with CivIV:BTS

What does this even mean? How does a console version have anything to do with the "future" of Civ?

Confirmed. A console version of Civ means the PC version is cancelled!

ElectricBlue187 said:
If this is the future of Civ i'll stick with CivIV:BTS

Eh it's a project doing some new things in some different ways. If the game was the future of Civ or Civ5 it would be called that.

It's too early for a new mainline Civilization game anyway.

ElectricBlue187 said:
I'm not in the habit of believing things without seeing them.

I still have no clue as to what you are talking about other than the fact that you probably won't buy this game. Which is fine, I'm just not sure why you are in this thread.

The Game of the Week will be available on all platforms, including the Wii and the DS. All platforms have similar multiplayer functionality, but with obvious exceptions (friend codes, achievements, xbl).

Gattsu25

Banned
DeathMonkey said:
The Game of the Week will be available on all platforms, including the Wii and the DS. All platforms have similar multiplayer functionality, but with obvious exceptions (friend codes, achievements, xbl).
Is this confirmed and from where?

If true then whee! :D

Zzoram

DeathMonkey said:

Wait, so Game of the Week is a weekly leaderboard based on a specific map type and ruleset? If you pick the right settings and finish the game, does the score automatically qualify and submit to the leaderboard?

SappYoda

DeathMonkey said:
PSP version would be so awesome :( why no PSP?

Zzoram said:
Wait, so Game of the Week is a weekly leaderboard based on a specific map type and ruleset? If you pick the right settings and finish the game, does the score automatically qualify and submit to the leaderboard?

In general, you are correct.

Specifically, every week you have a chance to play a specific map. Everybody who plays the GotW that week will be playing on the same map (across all consoles!). I believe you can play that map as often as you like at whichever difficulty you prefer. When you finish the game, your user name, difficulty, and score are automatically sent and listed on the leaderboards. Currently the leaderboards are platform specific (as are all leaderboards, to my knowledge).

Zzoram

DeathMonkey said:
In general, you are correct.

Specifically, every week you have a chance to play a specific map. Everybody who plays the GotW that week will be playing on the same map (across all consoles!). I believe you can play that map as often as you like at whichever difficulty you prefer. When you finish the game, your user name, difficulty, and score are automatically sent and listed on the leaderboards. Currently the leaderboards are platform specific (as are all leaderboards, to my knowledge).

That sounds awesome. I'm getting pretty excited about this game. In an interview, it was said that a normal game could be done in around 4 hours. Finally, a Civ game that can be finished in 1 sitting without taking the whole day :lol

I just hope it's balanced properly, Quick in Civilization 4 is awful, it's not scaled properly.

SappYoda said:
PSP version would be so awesome :( why no PSP?

I agree that a PSP version would be awesome, but we chose to go with the DS because of the install-base, the DS software sales compared to PSP software sales, and that the DS has a much smaller development "footprint" than the PSP. (Fewer artists and programmers are needed to create a DS title than a PSP one.)

If the CivRev does extremely well, there is a chance that it will be brought to the PSP, but it is unlikely that Firaxis will directly develop it.

Zzoram

pgtl_10 said:
I've got a lot of interest in this game because it will probably be Wii's first RTS.

If it was Wii exclusive, I'd buy it for Wii, but seeing as it's coming to 360, I'll probably get that one for achievements and better graphics/online. It's turn based so not having a mouse-like control isn't a big deal.

pgtl_10

DeathMonkey

Is there any chance that the Wii version of the game will not use the friend codes feature on the Wii? EA used their own EA Nation in MOH:H2 and Madden 08 which turned out very well.

Zzoram

pgtl_10 said:
DeathMonkey

Is there any chance that the Wii version of the game will not use the friend codes feature on the Wii? EA used their own EA Nation in MOH:H2 and Madden 08 which turned out very well.

EA is also a lot bigger and has server farms for it's console online endevours. I doubt Firaxis will do a custom online.

pgtl_10

Zzoram said:
If it was Wii exclusive, I'd buy it for Wii, but seeing as it's coming to 360, I'll probably get that one for achievements and better graphics/online. It's turn based so not having a mouse-like control isn't a big deal.

Will there by any major differences console versions? The Wiimote could play well just making Civ. real time.

Zzoram

pgtl_10 said:
Will there by any major differences console versions? The Wiimote could play well just making Civ. real time.

Civilization has never been real time, and it would hurt the gameplay to make it real time. If you want real time strategy on console, only the Xbox 360 seems to have any.

pgtl_10 said:

The Wii version of CivRev will most likely use friend codes, but you will be able to play ranked matches against strangers.

Top Bottom