• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THQ goes scissor happy: closes Concrete, kills Juiced & Stuntman, cancels others

Mr Mike

1 million Canadian dollars
http://www.developmag.com/news/29122/THQs-development-revamp-hits-full-swing

THQ has announced a number of changes to its product portfolio and internal development business, including the decision 'not to pursue' certain IPs and the closure of a studio in California, in a bid to boost its slate of owned property and begin a new product quality strategy.

The publisher said it was to close its Concrete Games studio, which was established in 2004 and was working on one of the unannounced titles. THQ said it "expects a substantial number of the studio's employees to be offered positions in its other studios".

Also, the firm said its Frontlines: Fuel of War PS3 SKU, and the PS2 SKU of an upcoming Destroy All Humans title were cancelled, and two unannounced 360 and PS3 games have also been given the chop, as have the Juiced and Stuntman IPs.

[blah blah]

At the same time, the firm has appointed two games industry veterans to newly-created roles at THQ Studios to drive forward its slate of owned intellectual property and quality of all product made at its studios.

Former EA creative director and VP of IP development Danny Bilson joins as VP of creative development at THQ worldwide studios. Bilson played a key role in building The Sims, Medal of Honor and Harry Potter franchises and boasts over 20 years of writing and direction experience in a variety of entertainment fields from film and TV to comic books.

Meanwhile THQ vet Roy Tessler has been named vice president, production, worldwide studio. He joined the publisher in 2003 as GM of THQ Studios Australia and then served as boss of Rainbow Studios.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
this sounds like a bigger deal than it is.

you know, unless you're an investor or are trying to make crazy predictions about THQ being acquired (or doing the acquiring).

bryehn

Man, I really enjoyed Stuntman 2, I hope someone picks it (the franchise) up. It fixed just about every problem that the original had.

Seems strange to cancel the DAH!! PS2 ports, considering there's a Wii version AND a PSP version supposedly coming out. If they cancelled anything, you think it'd be the PSP version that'll most likely struggle to sell 5000 copies...

pilonv1

v1c said:
Should cancel Smackdown! for good measure

Between that and the Disney Pixar/Nickelodeon they're the only things keeping them afloat console wise.

EA should buy the Stuntman licence and use the Burnout engine for it.

Mr Mike

1 million Canadian dollars
PantherLotus said:
this sounds like a bigger deal than it is.

I don't know - it sounds like a smart, big thing - they've ditched all the shit. EA made a big deal similarly about two years ago, and it did seem to work (on the whole, there will always be some clangers from them).

v1c said:

Actually, the full story says that Smackdown sold better than expected - its success is helping offset the cost of writing off all these next-gen games and IPs it seems.

Juiced deserved that shit, but a third Stuntman would have been nice. Even then, cutting the fat out and focusing on kids games/Saints Row 2/Smackdown is probably for the best.

v1c

Yeah I know its their major money maker, I just wish someone else would make a better wrestling game. Maybe the TNA game will impress....

Hellraizah

THQ already made the worst move ever by dropping AKI from doing the wrestling games.

That move made Jesus angry.... and now they might call Atari to get insight into their future.

v1c said:
Yeah I know its their major money maker, I just wish someone else would make a better wrestling game. Maybe the TNA game will impress....

Oh, it better!

Im patiently waiting for updated gameplay videos.

ram

Anerythristic said:
Wow, that is some major restructuring. Frontline: Fuel of War also sucks now.:lol

no - fromtlines sucked when it was announced. i was there, saw the game and thought: wow this stuff sucks some major balls.

RBH

v1c said:
Hate to say it, but I kind of agree.

The series is just so mediocre right now, and, at the least, needs a major rehaul.

Here's hoping that the TNA game is decent.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Anerythristic said:
Why? It's right there for all to see. Is it old news, or does it just not bode well for your console of choice?
The 360? I have 2 of them. Frontline has always sucked in ppl's opinion's since the demo, the PS3 owners are not missing much.

RBH said:
Hate to say it, but I kind of agree.

The series is just so mediocre right now, and, at the least, needs a major rehaul.

Here's hoping that the TNA game is decent.

Midway's first mistake was not going to AKI.

Superfrog

ram said:
no - fromtlines sucked when it was announced. i was there, saw the game and thought: wow this stuff sucks some major balls.

The XBL demo certainly doesn't suck major balls. Have you even played it?

Top Bottom