• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I like how exactly the concept art follows that beta screenshot, right down to Frog being on the ground and the ridge behind Marle.

Platy

JkWXy.jpg

Which "truth"?

1. That Marle is using fire, which is CLEARLY wrong?

2. Except that she's not using Fire and it's actually correct, it's the triple tech Arc Impulse/Frost Arc.

3. Except that's not the truth EITHER, it's Toriyama basing concept art off a beta screenshot:

YrF8o.jpg

I LOVE this piece of trivia ... and i really want to know wich one came first xD

On a related note, the screenshot proves that Frog "fainted" ... while i always imagined chrono using him as some kind of "ladder" to do a bigger jump

JkWXy.jpg

Which "truth"?

1. That Marle is using fire, which is CLEARLY wrong?

2. Except that she's not using Fire and it's actually correct, it's the triple tech Arc Impulse/Frost Arc.

3. Except that's not the truth EITHER, it's Toriyama basing concept art off a beta screenshot:

YrF8o.jpg
Brilliant!

kunonabi

Perfect Dark was amazing. I still don't get why people remember Goldeneye more fondly. Perfect Dark was better in just about every way.

Shitty framerate and poorly designed multiplayer come to mind. The fact that dizziness persisted after a respawn was insanely stupid.

Pat

10-09.jpg

JUNK-2.png

FoxSF64.jpg

Did you know that all Spacecraft pilots in the Star Fox universe amputate their legs so that blood doesn't drain from their brain when they are under intense Gs? It was confirmed in an issue of Nintendo Power and appears to be legit.

This is a scan from the official comic published in Nintendo Power back in the 90s, and some character models.

These are not simply boots?!...

... FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
So I searched the thread and couldn't find anything, but if this has been mentioned before don't burn me at the stake.

But in Ninja Gaiden(2004), whenever Ryu dies he lets out a series of moans, when the Game Over screen shows up a series of sounds are played, the first three are the same as the sounds Ryu makes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B07TaTf8_48

That video is the best I could find of the sounds.

Myriadis

A little nice fact I noticed:
In Alan Wake, there's a fictional TV show called "Night Springs". The game plays in an area called Bright Falls.
It is almost the exact opposite. The night is definitely not bright and water goes up the springs and goes down falls.

MAtgS

10-09.jpg

JUNK-2.png

FoxSF64.jpg

Did you know that all Spacecraft pilots in the Star Fox universe amputate their legs so that blood doesn't drain from their brain when they are under intense Gs? It was confirmed in an issue of Nintendo Power and appears to be legit.

This is a scan from the official comic published in Nintendo Power back in the 90s, and some character models.

Every time this gets posted I can't help but wonder.....
Telepath.jpg

Those too?

A new one (for me, anyway) that I came across recently was that Hitoshi Sakimoto did the music for Super Back To The Future 2 on the SNES, and I swear to god that he reused some of the melody from BTTF's main theme for a song in Ogre Battle.

Kiiji

Banned
A little nice fact I noticed:
In Alan Wake, there's a fictional TV show called "Night Springs". The game plays in an area called Bright Falls.
It is almost the exact opposite. The night is definitely not bright and water goes up the springs and goes down falls.

Well yes, and there's also an xbox 360 video game called "Night Springs" you can find somewhere, presumably based on the show.

Alan Wake says himself that he wrote some scripts for the show "Night Springs". Just like he's writing the novel for the game you're playing, "Alan Wake". Who knows, maybe the "Night Springs" video game incorporated some scripts that Alan wrote, just as "Alan Wake" is incorporating scripts Alan wrote. (Sorry if that is confusing)

Lijik

Im pretty sure you could pick and choose from any group of animated kids from the 90s and come to a similar conclusion.
Like the Burger King Kids gang or something

Roto13

That just shows how hilarious forced diversity turns out. Every single one of those characters is a token character. Token asian, token black guy, token etc..

mclem

Every time this gets posted I can't help but wonder.....
Telepath.jpg

Those too?

As little as I'd like to dwell on the subject: Given that Starfox Adventures was (effectively) her origin story, and presumably she has her legs *then*, when would they have been amputated?

(I think if the amputation story ever *was* real, it's something that's quietly been retconned)

The Hermit

I was playing batman arkham city yesterday and joker made an awesome reference to lost. Posting from my phone, so I can't provide the link, but its quite spoilerish to both the game and the show.

Is just a quote actually:
how come everything ends in a church?

aett

I was playing batman arkham city yesterday and joker made an awesome reference to lost. Posting from my phone, so I can't provide the link, but its quite spoilerish to both the game and the show.

Is just a quote actually:
how come everything ends in a church?

Some prisoners mention Lost as well. "So, did they ever explain what the island is?"

They're purple, and they have (two) round holes (where the GC has four). I think that's a bit of a stretch unless there's something else I'm missing.

? there were purple gamecubes. Mine was purple

I just thought it was deliberate. I mean, despite the four controller ports

mclem

Um, yes, I was stating the things that they had *in common* with the gamecube. There were two of them - three if you count the box shape - and one of those (the circles) wasn't really a direct parallel due to the quantity.

My point was that despite those things, which aren't *very* convincing (the colour, the shape, and some (but not enough) circles), I don't see anything really that makes them gamecubes.

This is a great thread. That Banjo and fireplace thing is cool and omg Starfox D:

Anywayz: I don't ever really get mindblown but I just got mindblowned when I figured this out. Everyone else may already know about it but I didn't and it was pretty cool when I got it.

In Super Mario 3D Land you fight Bowser imposters who turn out to really be Goombas (and maybe Hammer Bros. as well? i forgot) before you fight the real Bowser.

I was just playing Super Mario Bros. on my 3DS and its been years since I played and forgot lots of stuff. Using the save state feature I got through it while keeping shooters (I know I suck at games nowadays.) and kept thinking it was odd whenever I killed Bowser in each castle he would fall down as a hammer bro or a blooper.

Then it hit me. These were Bowser imposters aswell! Meaning you don't actually fight Bowser until World 8-4

:O :O :O

Totally blew my mind. I don't think I've seen Bowser dieing as other characters in any other game (tho it might happen in lost levels since its similer and I can never get shooters when I get to him) that means Nintendo took something that was only in the first (maybe second like I said) Mario game and made it into 3D Land.

Wow. Thats pretty cool. I never realized that you weren't actually fighting Bowser.

I really hope I'm the first to discover this and don't get laughed at lol.

Edit: That Yoshi's Island easter egg on page 100 is awsome :O I am literally reading everything in this thread now lol.

This is a great thread. That Banjo and fireplace thing is cool and omg Starfox D:

Anywayz: I don't ever really get mindblown but I just got mindblowned when I figured this out. Everyone else may already know about it but I didn't and it was pretty cool when I got it.

In Super Mario 3D Land you fight Bowser imposters who turn out to really be Goombas (and maybe Hammer Bros. as well? i forgot) before you fight the real Bowser.

I was just playing Super Mario Bros. on my 3DS and its been years since I played and forgot lots of stuff. Using the save state feature I got through it while keeping shooters (I know I suck at games nowadays.) and kept thinking it was odd whenever I killed Bowser in each castle he would fall down as a hammer bro or a blooper.

Then it hit me. These were Bowser imposters aswell! Meaning you don't actually fight Bowser until World 8-4

:O :O :O

Totally blew my mind. I don't think I've seen Bowser dieing as other characters in any other game (tho it might happen in lost levels since its similer and I can never get shooters when I get to him) that means Nintendo took something that was only in the first (maybe second like I said) Mario game and made it into 3D Land.

Wow. Thats pretty cool. I never realized that you weren't actually fighting Bowser.

I really hope I'm the first to discover this and don't get laughed at lol.

Edit: That Yoshi's Island easter egg on page 100 is awsome :O I am literally reading everything in this thread now lol.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure you're the only one who didn't realize that lol.
This was actually one of the many things 3D land has taken from past mario games. False Bowsers are what you are fighting in all of the castles of Super Mario Bros. In 3D land, its a tail goomba and a magikoopa. I think there was a video showing most of these commemorations.

CassSept

Sorry to burst your bubble, but... this is quite a common knowledge. I'd wager an average person met on the street would say that they've noticed it (if they played it). Sorry :(

No one liked my FF sprite discovery last page? :(

Ok...here's one you may not know. The Chrono Trigger Cast's ORIGINAL designs had one missing 8th character:

Yknw4.jpg

Toriyama: Just kidding, everyone worked hard. Robo and Ayla were the characters that changed the most.

Caption: A mysterious cut character, the “Old Man”. What a waste, not to use him. He’s got a certain charm.

Likely he was going to be Gaspar, dressed in his Royal gear:

ABho2.png

This post is already a few weeks old but didn't his royal sprite get used for a cutscene where it got explained how the three wise men get stranded in the different time periods?
EDIT: Or am I missing something here?

Wichu

This post is already a few weeks old but didn't his royal sprite get used for a cutscene where it got explained how the three wise men get stranded in the different time periods?

The mindblowing fact isn't that he has a sprite (which, as you say, is used in-game), but that he was going to be a playable character.

jaxword

The implication is that he was going to be playable, but cut for whatever time/space/story reasons.

They left an in-joke in the dialogue about this when, later in the game, he says "You should make me a member of your team!"

Top Bottom