• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

JJN

from the behind sprite, you can see a band that wraps around the hood... that's the back of the circlet (aka his "face") that he's wearing above his actual face.

Ledsen

Baiano19 said:
WTF, you really think the red thing was his nose?! That's weirder than what me and Seiken though it was...

Admittedly I was kind of confused as to why the mighty WIZAAAA-A-A-AAAAAA-AAAARD Aghanim had a clown nose, but I just assumed he was of some weird beast race or something.

JJN said:
from the behind sprite, you can see a band that wraps around the hood... that's the back of the circlet (aka his "face") that he's wearing above his actual face.
or it's the back of his neck, depending on how you saw things.

Mik2121 said:
You can't really see the face?

durrrrrrrr.png

How are people not seeing that :D

He is wearing a green hood with a golden circlet around it that holds it over the head.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
oracrest said:
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/oracrest/aganhim.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Nevermind the fact that the head only looks proportionately long if you don't take the angle/view into consideration. Nor the fact that his actual face is the same color as his hands...

scaffa

Well my mind is blown with the Agahnim stuff. I also thought that his eyes were covered with his hair and the red/pink part was his mouth. This is some weird stuff.

Because the way I saw him I always imagined him being somewhat simpleminded, because of his "hairstyle" and his covered eyes. Like he was some kind of priest under the influence of a spell.

But now he is just one bad ass wizard that tries to confuse you with his fake head..ohhh mennn what..

oracrest

elrechazao said:
How are people not seeing that :D

He is wearing a green hood with a golden circlet around it that holds it over the head.

I see it, I understand how it is supposed to look, but that doesn't change how the character was interpreted by young me years ago.

I_D

2uqdvuh.jpg

It's all about perspective.

For some of GAF, Aghanim is looking toward the camera. This means it looks like the face is directly forward.

For rest of GAF, the camera is above Aghanim. This means it looks like the face is pointing toward Link.

His shadow is supposed to tell your brain which way to orient your view, but apparently it didn't do its job for some people.

jett

D-Member
Kulock said:
I'm not sure the curtain calls directly relate to the shadows and rigging on platforms and the end of levels, it was all just a bit of flourish IMO. Particularly the end of level blackness, since in the NES version, the plants and platforms in that area were just white outlines. Then in world 8, you got to a level where everything was like that. So the end of level is like Mario journeying into the encroaching darkness from Bowser's kingdom. (It was strange, poor decision on their part to normalize the levels for All-Stars and beyond.)

smb3_level_end.png
smas-smb3_level_end.png

smb3_w8-1_a.png
smas-smb3_w8-1_a.png

smb3_w8-1_b.png
smas-smb3_w8-1_b.png

Shots from here: http://themushroomkingdom.net/smb3_nes2smas.shtml

What an abomination All-Stars is. I never got that far into it to see how they ruined the World 8 stages. I always prefered the NES SMB3, but this really seals it as fact. Anyone who prefers the All Stars verison is a bad person and should feel bad.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
E.T., the Extra-Terrestrial for the Atari, a gem now widely considered to be one of the worst games ever, was the straw that broke the camel's back leading to the videogame crash of 1983.

In the wake of the success of the E.T. movie, more than one copy per Atari 2600 was made in North America. More copies of it than any other game in history were returned to the publisher, and in September 1983, somewhere around 14 dumptrucks-worths of thousands of copies of the game (among others, and Atari systems), were crushed and buried in an El Paso landfill.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_video_game_burial

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Hawkian said:
E.T., the Extra-Terrestrial for the Atari, a gem now widely considered to be one of the worst games ever, was the straw that broke the camel's back leading to the videogame crash of 1983.

In the wake of the success of the E.T. movie, more than one copy per Atari 2600 was made in North America. More copies of it than any other game in history were returned to the publisher, and in September 1983, somewhere around 14 dumptrucks-worths of thousands of copies of the game (among others, and Atari systems), were crushed and buried in an El Paso landfill.

What kind of strategy is that?

RagnarokX

Crunched said:
Seriously, I'm trying really hard to figure out how you could see him wrong.
It's worse than when people thought Quote's ear antenna was a green nose, heh. Aghanim has a very detailed sprite.

Red

RagnarokX said:
It's worse than when people thought Quote's ear antenna was a green nose, heh. Aghanim has a very detailed sprite.
Please tell me that never actually happened :lol

Roto13

Hawkian said:

I think everyone with a passing interest in video games knows this by now. :p
Brazil said:
What kind of strategy is that?
The kind that nearly kills an industry. :p

mclem

Crunched said:

I see it right now, but I always saw it wrong. I think the problem I have is that with the real face being where it is, it leaves him with an absolutely massive forehead, something like one of the Mars Attacks aliens.

Red

Jocchan said:
How do you even orient yourself to see it any other way than what it was meant to be? That's more mindblowing than anything else :lol

It's even worse for Quote because he's basically just a face.
mclem said:
I see it right now, but I always saw it wrong. I think the problem I have is that with the real face being where it is, it leaves him with an absolutely massive forehead, something like one of the Mars Attacks aliens.
But it's a headdress. It's not his actual head that's so big.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
I think the problem lies in the circlet, actually. It seems to bend with his hood (#1) because of an ill placed line, causing some confusion. Also, the part that looks like a mouth (#2) is probably supposed to be a part of his clothing covering half his face, but the coloring is off, yet again causing some confusion. As stated earlier, poorly drawn sprite is poorly drawn.

z23yzsyk2.jpg

Gomu Gomu

Philanthropist said:
If you were surprised by that, I wonder if you ever checked post #70 :p

My mind was blown by that at the time. Man, the more you look into SMB games, the more surprised you'll be by how much details and creativity that put into them.

mavs

Crunched said:

If I had played Earthbound before LttP I'm sure I would have seen him Pokey-style. I can't unsee it now that I know what to look for.

Not sure if anyone noticed this but there's like a face in the FF VIII map. I noticed this when I was playing FF VIII today. I can't find the map and I don't want to spoil myself. It has to be the in-game map. Sorry if this was posted before.

RagnarokX

Crunched said:
How do you even orient yourself to see it any other way than what it was meant to be? That's more mindblowing than anything else :lol

It's even worse for Quote because he's basically just a face.

But it's a headdress. It's not his actual head that's so big.
aabplg.jpg

Red

RagnarokX said:
There is no way I can arrange my mind to even comprehend this. The comparison between Agahnim and Pokey made that confusion a lot more clear, but there is no way I could even imagine someone thinking Quote's antenna was his nose :lol

RagnarokX said:
http://i27.tinypic.com/aabplg.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
This is not how people saw it. The left eye was seen like an ear or sideburn because it was connected to the hair, and the green thing as a stubby little nose. There was no mouth and the only hair was in the back on the original sprite, so that throws it off too.

jett said:
What an abomination All-Stars is. I never got that far into it to see how they ruined the World 8 stages. I always prefered the NES SMB3, but this really seals it as fact. Anyone who prefers the All Stars verison is a bad person and should feel bad.

I don't feel bad. I think this is the only major mistake they made, compared to the changes made in the GBA version. SMB3 AS is fantastic.

Red

EmCeeGramr said:
This is not how people saw it. The left eye was seen like an ear or sideburn because it was connected to the hair, and the green thing as a stubby little nose.
Even then, why in the world would he be running around with his neck twisted to the side?

Crunched said:
Even then, why in the world would he be running around with his neck twisted to the side?
Because when you first start the game, you don't really have a reference, so it's like Mario in SMB1, where Mario's head was in profile but his body faced toward the camera.

Top Bottom