• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

MNC

EmCeeGramr said:
Because when you first start the game, you don't really have a reference, so it's like Mario in SMB1, where Mario's head was in profile but his body faced toward the camera.
It's the dashing gentleman's way of standing!

This topic seriously took a turn for the better :lol How could this happen! /heavy

RagnarokX

EmCeeGramr said:
This is not how people saw it. The left eye was seen like an ear or sideburn because it was connected to the hair, and the green thing as a stubby little nose. There was no mouth and the only hair was in the back on the original sprite, so that throws it off too.
But...
2z3q3c5.gif

Red

Oh man, I can see it :lol

It's like an optical illusion, actually hurt my eyes when I had to twist them into that awful position. You thought Quote had a flat head, like the side of his face is stretched out like a horse. It took me hours to figure that out, props to those of you who saw that right away :lol

jett

D-Member
RagnarokX said:
It's worse than when people thought Quote's ear antenna was a green nose, heh. Aghanim has a very detailed sprite.

Well I'm among those that saw Aghanim wrong. :lol The fault lies with the Nintendo artist that made the sprite, as there are clearly plenty of us. :p

mclem

Crunched said:
But it's a headdress. It's not his actual head that's so big.

But I generally associate headdresses as approximately matching the contours of the head. Either this one doesn't, or he's got a beehive hairdo hidden below that.

mclem said:
But I generally associate headdresses as approximately matching the contours of the head. Either this one doesn't, or he's got a beehive hairdo hidden below that.

Maybe he has a craaaaaaaaaazy hairdo?

amtentori said:
What about in other games???

Mario's jump is usually fist first, even in the 3D ones I think.

Mama Robotnik said:
Sorry to go OT in the Agahnim thread...

Videogame fact: There is no water at any point in Sonic and Knuckles.

You're waiting for someone to challenge this so you can pull out a raging technicality huh?:lol

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Kulock said:
Here's the bigger question: not paying attention to anything past it, for Super Mario Bros. 1, did you think he was spitting the fireballs, or throwing them? He clearly throws them now, but back then it wasn't so obvious.
It looked to us like he was picking them out of his nose. :lol

Mama Robotnik said:
That blue stuff could be anything.

Yes, the mean ol' Doc's sunk the island into a sea of that stuff from Chemical Plant Zone. His plan was even more complex than we thought.

I should have phrased it as no water in any LEVEL, shouldn't I?

Yes.
Also...

s&k_19.gif

So you really mean "significant body of water Sonic directly interacts with", and by then it's getting pretty picky.

Cheerilee

Brazil said:
Hawkian said:
E.T., the Extra-Terrestrial for the Atari, a gem now widely considered to be one of the worst games ever, was the straw that broke the camel's back leading to the videogame crash of 1983.

In the wake of the success of the E.T. movie, more than one copy per Atari 2600 was made in North America. More copies of it than any other game in history were returned to the publisher, and in September 1983, somewhere around 14 dumptrucks-worths of thousands of copies of the game (among others, and Atari systems), were crushed and buried in an El Paso landfill.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_video_game_burial
What kind of strategy is that?
It's false, is what it is.

There were 4 million ET carts made in 1982. There were approximately 8 million Atari 2600 units sold by 1982.

The actual rumor is that Atari knowingly produced more ET carts then there were Atari 2600 units actively in use at the time. Casuals who had the console for a few months tended to disconnect it from the living room TV, pack it away in the closet, and ignored the new games that were coming out.

Atari felt that a big name like ET would appeal to the casuals enough that they'd feel they needed to hook the console back up just to experience the game, and once the console was hooked back up, there would be another window where those people might become interested in buying games again.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
To be honest, regarding Quote, more than seeing a green nose I couldn't even understand what the pixel work on his face was trying to portrait, not until I've met other characters in the game (I had no idea what I was playing with at first either, I started the game without knowing anything about the plot).

Also, although I always saw Agahnim the right way, I think some people forget it's much easier to get confused with sprites when you're seeing them for the fisrt time while they're small and moving around instead of the blown up frozen versions we've been posting here.

Clipper

Segata Sanshiro said:
Why is Mario's moustache a different colour from his hair?

I can't make myself see Quote the strange way, though.
Does this help?
quote.png

I just recoloured a few pixels here and there. At least I can understand people mistaking Quote or Agahnim at first glance, but can't believe that people could see them like that permanently.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Clipper said:
Does this help?
quote.png

I just recoloured a few pixels here and there. At least I can understand people mistaking Quote or Agahnim at first glance, but can't believe that people could see them like that permanently.
People are overlooking something I think:
small.png

Thats about the size of the sprite. Its not so easy to tell when its not blown up 16x.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
ruby_onix said:
It's false, is what it is.

There were 4 million ET carts made in 1982. There were approximately 8 million Atari 2600 units sold by 1982.

The actual rumor is that Atari knowingly produced more ET carts then there were Atari 2600 units actively in use at the time. Casuals who had the console for a few months tended to disconnect it from the living room TV, pack it away in the closet, and ignored the new games that were coming out.

Atari felt that a big name like ET would appeal to the casuals enough that they'd feel they needed to hook the console back up just to experience the game, and once the console was hooked back up, there would be another window where those people might become interested in buying games again.

You're right, of course. I should have been clearer that my stat referred to Ataris sold that year, which the number of game carts eclipsed.

You also correctly identified the strategy that resulted in producing so many despite the console's waning popularity. Similar gambles kept games churning out for the Intellivision long after anybody's mom would lay a hand on the thing. :p

EDIT: By the by, a quick trip to Wikipedia tells me that, if you factor in 3200s and all the various brand permutations of the 2600, as of 2004 there were 30 million sold.

Atari 2600: 30 million.
Virtual Boy: 770,000.

batbeg

Drkirby said:
People are overlooking something I think:
small.png

Thats about the size of the sprite. Its not so easy to tell when its not blown up 16x.

Still makes no sense to me that people confused it that way - the eye would be way too close to the side of his head and look awkward...

Fimbulvetr said:
Mario's mustache is only black in the 3D games, maybe he used dye to look more manly?

Your mom. :lol

I meant technicality.
Actually, Mario started sporting the mismatched moustache/mop as of Super Mario Bros. 3's official artwork. Also, it wasn't his moustache that changed colour; it was his hair. Originally his hair was black, like the 'stache.

edit: actually, my bad. He has brown chops in some of the art from Super Mario Bros. HOW DEEP DOES THIS GO

Segata Sanshiro said:
Actually, Mario started sporting the mismatched moustache/mop as of Super Mario Bros. 3's official artwork. Also, it wasn't his moustache that changed colour; it was his hair. Originally his hair was black, like the 'stache.

edit: actually, my bad. He has brown chops in some of the art from Super Mario Bros. HOW DEEP DOES THIS GO

It's a conspiracy.

Mario was replaced by an evil twin who has a black mustache, he just happens to save Peach because he's trying to get in her pants.

Top Bottom