• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam reaches 15 million accounts

Xrenity

Got this in my mail just now:
STEAM REACHES 15 MILLION ACCOUNTS

Leading Platform for PC Games Building Phenomenal Annual Growth

February 7, 2008 - Valve® today announced that Steam®, a leading platform for PC games and digital entertainment, has surpassed 15 million accounts and realized year-over-year sales growth of 158% through the holiday season.
The year also marked the debut of the Steam Community and launch of several best-selling and critically-acclaimed titles such as Call of Duty 4, Bioshock, and The Orange Box.
Throughout 2008 more Community features will be introduced to support existing games as well as new titles such as Valve's Left 4 Dead.
Also new for Steam in 2008 is Steamworks, giving game developers access to game features and services available on Steam ranging from product key authentication and copy protection to auto-updating, social networking and matchmaking. Most importantly, the game features and services available in Steamworks are free of charge and can be used for both electronic and tangible versions of games.
"PC gaming is thriving, and has evolved into an era of constant connectivity," said Gabe Newell, president of Valve. "That connectivity gives us the ability to have a much better relationship with customers, not just for delivering our games, but across all aspects of our business - including the design, development, and support of our games. Features like Guest Passes, Free Weekends, Gifting, and the Steam Community have been very well received both by customers and the developers who are using Steam. We are accelerating our release of new functionality in the next year as well as finding new ways to work with our partners such as the release of Steamworks, which allows them to bring the many benefits of Steam to their packaged products."
Visit Valve during GDC at Expo Suite 362. For more information, please visit www.steamgames.com

Mamesj

Banned
Too bad they'll all lose their accounts because PC gaming is dead this year. lol $10,0000 machine required to run crysis! big comfy couches! 5.1!! driver installing is annoying lolololo!!

there, I got it all out of the way for us.

Davidion

Mamesj said:
Too bad they'll all lose their accounts because PC gaming is dead this year. lol $10,0000 machine required to run crysis! big comfy couches! 5.1!! driver installing is annoying lolololo!!

there, I got it all out of the way for us.

PC Gaming! How dead it is!

It's really impressive how far steam has come. I still remember the massive "I HATE STEAM" threads from back in the days. :lol edit: On the Steam forums!

pswii60

Sho_Nuff82 said:
Steam is 50% bigger than LIVE? That's...pretty darn big.

Well you don't need to buy a new games console to sign up to Steam, and Windows LIVE is pretty much dead.

But on 1UP Shane was calling 'Steam' a platform. And as a platform with 15 million users, from what is essentially just an independent developer, Valve are steaming ahead.

Mamesj

Banned
Davidion said:
PC Gaming! How dead it is!

It's really impressive how far steam has come. I still remember the massive "I HATE STEAM" threads from back in the days. :lol edit: On the Steam forums!

agreed! As more people have become permanently connected with broadband, the better Steam has become...

I just wish we had sales numbers. but judging by how many high profile, non-valve games are on the service, I imagine it's doing fine.

saelz8

12 million users online during the weekend makes more sense now. I was wondering how it could be possible that almost every Steam user was logged in, but they increased overall users.

1 million on right now.

Davidion

Mamesj said:
agreed! As more people have become permanently connected with broadband, the better Steam has become...

I just wish we had sales numbers. but judging by how many high profile, non-valve games are on the service, I imagine it's doing fine.

Can't be worth more than $5, don't you remember that digital distribution numbers can't amount to anything more than pocket change?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
_leech_ said:
Why the hell don't they release sales numbers?! If anything would shut up the "PC GAMINGS IS DEAD NDP!" crowd, i'd be that.
They're afraid it might reaffirm the "PC GAMING IS DEAD" mindset.

fallout

_leech_ said:
Why the hell don't they release sales numbers?! If anything would shut up the "PC GAMINGS IS DEAD NDP!" crowd, i'd be that.
Strangely, I doubt Valve cares about the "PC GAMINGS IS DEAD NPD!" crowd with ALL OF THE MONEY THEY ARE RAKING IN RIGHT NOW

... just sayin'.

Mamesj

Banned
fallout said:
Strangely, I doubt Valve cares about the "PC GAMINGS IS DEAD NPD!" crowd with ALL OF THE MONEY THEY ARE RAKING IN RIGHT NOW

... just sayin'.

Valve has a clearly defined role... and they love it.

tanod

when is my burrito
_leech_ said:

Because it's not important that the people who aren't making the games know what sells.

Jacobi

Banned
fistfulofmetal said:
Steam vs. WoW

LETS DO THIS.
Well I don't think that most steam users buy stuff for 10$ a month averagely (my average was like 8/9$ and I bought relatively much).

dLMN8R

Quellex said:
12 million users online during the weekend makes more sense now. I was wondering how it could be possible that almost every Steam user was logged in, but they increased overall users.

1 million on right now.
Where did you read that 12 million people used it over the weekend? That would be pretty phenomenal...

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Well congratulations to Valve!

Now what they should do is bust out with the weapon unlocks for Team Fortress 2 on the PC and Give us Half Life Episode 3!

Borys

Banned
Halycon said:
They're afraid it might reaffirm the "PC GAMING IS DEAD" mindset.

That's what I think personally.

Blizzard announces every million copies of War3, Diablo 2 or WoW sold, same with Microsoft and Sony and Nintendo.

VALVe remains silent.

No million sellers? (false cause we know HL2 sold 2.4M copies)

Why does VALVe remain silent :( :( :(

fistfulofmetal said:
That would unmake reality. Up would become down, black would become white. Existence... would become nothingness
Alright your changing your avatar quite frequently.
I'm a fan of it.
19?:D

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Borys said:
That's what I think personally.

Blizzard announces every million copies of War3, Diablo 2 or WoW sold, same with Microsoft and Sony and Nintendo.

VALVe remains silent.

No million sellers? (false cause we know HL2 sold 2.4M copies)

Why does VALVe remain silent :( :( :(

Because they don't want to be pricks in the game space!

traveler

Not Wario
I wish Valve would find some way to get steam on the consoles, (or make a console- either one would do) NOT because I don't have a pc, but so MS would finally have to address just how weak XBL is in comparision. (And Sony as well, but at least they could point towards the fact that they also have a free service)

vdo

I wonder how many were just to get Geometry Wars, like I did. iirc, that caused a pretty big push in signups at the time, but I don't know if it was ever published how much that generated.

The introductory price hype got me to get that game, but I have so much other game backlog that I have yet to get anything beyond that on the service.

IzumiK

Banned
Steam reaches 15 million offline accounts

fistfulofmetal said:
Steam vs. WoW

LETS DO THIS.

amirite?

I have a Steam account. Hadn't used it since last summer of playing Natural Selection. And they don't say anything about what determines the number.

fallout

Yes, this is just how many people have registered for their free service. I don't know why people would think otherwise given some thought, but generally, people don't sign up for Steam without buying something first. If anything, that's why they sign up in the first place!

traveler said:
I wish Valve would find some way to get steam on the consoles, (or make a console- either one would do) NOT because I don't have a pc, but so MS would finally have to address just how weak XBL is in comparision. (And Sony as well, but at least they could point towards the fact that they also have a free service)
I don't think it would fly, honestly. Too many restrictions. :\

Druz

pcdead.jpg

Top Bottom