• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam reaches 15 million accounts

fallout said:
Yes, this is just how many people have registered for their free service. I don't know why people would think otherwise given some thought, but generally, people don't sign up for Steam without buying something first. If anything, that's why they sign up in the first place!

To be fair, I have Steam, and the only thing I've ever used it for was to download the HL2 demo a few years back. Oh, and take a few user surveys.

IzumiK

Banned
fallout said:
Yes, this is just how many people have registered for their free service. I don't know why people would think otherwise given some thought, but generally, people don't sign up for Steam without buying something first. If anything, that's why they sign up in the first place!

I never bought anything. Just a borrowed old HL cd key and the free mod of Natural Selection.

dLMN8R said:

Nice... except Steam logs you on in the background if you're one of those casual PC people who know nothing that goes on in your computer (aka half of the world PC users).

dLMN8R

IzumiK said:
Nice... except Steam logs you on in the background if you're one of those casual PC people who know nothing that goes on in your computer (aka half of the world PC users).
Why the fuck would a casual PC user who knows nothing about computers have Steam?

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Come on now it's Steam dammit be happy for their ass! I remember when it came out I wanted to fucking kill Valve but after some awesome changes its freaking awesome!

IzumiK

Banned
dLMN8R said:
Why the fuck would a casual PC user who knows nothing about computers have Steam?

Why the hell does a WoW player always get tricked by "free gold, press alt+f4" every day?

You obviously need to comprehend how easy it is to install games and use Steam vs Knowing how to use a computer. Heck, some people don't even know how to hook up their consoles right.

Draft

IzumiK said:
This post was not typed by filthy, pocky encrusted fingers, but by fat, bitter tears, shed with alarming accuracy.

Sanjay

so a WoW player that presses alt+f4 and has steam running in the background are one of "those casual PC people" really?

IzumiK

Banned
Sanjay said:
so a WoW player that presses alt+f4 and has steam running in the background are one of "those casual PC people" really?

If you don't know what is alt+f4, you don't know there are 30 processes running in the background when your computers turned on.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Druz said:
pcdead.jpg
Damn I have never played PC games when the PC Market was alive. Its great now, I wonder what it was like back then.

zoku88

IzumiK said:
If you don't know what is alt+f4, you don't know there are 30 processes running in the background when your computers turned on.
But you would prolly notice the little black steam-looking square on the bottom right corner, though.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
This is another live case of inflation. I personally have 3 accounts. godhandiscen & cnunez are my main ones, but I have only got products in one of them, both free.

firex

Steam vs. WoW? More like Steam + WoW combine to dominate the puny consolites and flay their souls from their miserable bodies!

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Awesome is Steam.

Oh, and for those wondering, I highly doubt Valve gives a rats ass about "the npd crowd". I think what concerns them the most is the Retailers. We all know Counter Strike and Half life 2 (regular, goty edition, extreme edition and comfy couch edition) are selling well enough. Brick and mortar retailers would probably be pretty upset if they see the business the people whom aren't valve are bringing in. Thats my take on it though.

godhandiscen said:
This is another live case of inflation. I personally have 3 accounts. godhandiscen & cnunez are my main ones, but I have only got products in one of them, both free.

If it makes you feel any better I've got 9 gamertags... :lol

question about steam, i have Civ Chronicles, and want to link Civ4 in there to my Steam account, but i cant find a CD Key, wtf do i do?

Firestorm

vdo said:
I wonder how many were just to get Geometry Wars, like I did. iirc, that caused a pretty big push in signups at the time, but I don't know if it was ever published how much that generated.

The introductory price hype got me to get that game, but I have so much other game backlog that I have yet to get anything beyond that on the service.

Not as much as The Orange Box.

Top Bottom