• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dungeon Explorer for DS and PSP

GaryD

From Shacknews
http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/51042

DS Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yru3R8MFq6Q

Release Date: 12th Febuary

While both editions of the isometric action RPG share the same name and expand upon Atlus' original Dungeon Explorer for the TurboGrafx-16, they feature different storylines and character abilities. The PSP version (pictured left), which supports three-person local wireless multiplayer, has players hunting down a legendary kingdom and battling demonic foes.

The DS edition (pictured right), meanwhile, is set centuries later and pits gamers against legions of the undead. It also sports three-person online multiplayer in addition to local wireless play.

Anyone heard anything about this? I tried searching and didn't come up with much. Sounds like it could be a decent hack and slash game. You guys played this before?

IzumiK

Banned
Heard about it long time ago.

Revival of an old gauntlet (except x10000000 better) type RPG that started on the PC Engine. Was announced last year.

Filter

haha, that ad isn't doing much to sell it "dungeon..... explorer....."

I usually wouldn't really go for a game like this, but the online is making it very tempting.
kind of OT but what's the deal with the DS FF:CC, is that going to be online?

sk3tch

Meh reviews so far. I'm interested in it, though. Someone buy it and try it. My PSP Slim arrives in a few days, maybe I will. :)

IzumiK

Banned
sk3tch said:
Meh reviews so far. I'm interested in it, though. Someone buy it and try it. My PSP Slim arrives in a few days, maybe I will. :)

What reviews have there been?

I'm not too excited about it even if I am the biggest Dungeon Explorer fan on GAF (since no one seems to know much about it). The new 3D style... blows.

I want my old school gauntlet top down style.

Wow, it's been a loooooooong time since I've played this game. The original dungeon explorer on the pc-engine had some great music.

Can't say I'm a fan of the new look though. 3d on the ds sux, it makes everything look bare bones. The whole reason I got a ds was because of the 2d games. At least they added wifi..

JeremyR

IzumiK said:
What reviews have there been?

Famitsu - DS got a 26, PSP a 27. And I think some magazine reviewed the US version and got a 3/5 (I think one of the magazine review threads had it. EGM?)

sk3tch

JeremyR said:
Famitsu - DS got a 26, PSP a 27. And I think some magazine reviewed the US version and got a 3/5 (I think one of the magazine review threads had it. EGM?)

Yup, the March 2008 EGM has a "Reviews Wrap-Up" write-up on both versions (they're combined and they don't differentiate in the paragraph).

It's on page 88, here it is:

EGM said:
Dungeon Explorer (TG16) was a tough but generally fun Gauntlet rip-off; the portable remakes are more like Diablo, trading brisk, accessible gameplay for slow-paced experience-point grinding and character-building. Too slow - and dull 3D graphics make things even pokier. Not to mention all the uninteresting story sequences.

Bottom line:
"Explore" rhymes with "bore" for a reason, it seems. Both the DS and PSP have better role-playing game offerings, so stick to the original Dungeon Explorer on Virtual Console. It's cheaper and more entertaining.

Sigh.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
sk3tch said:
Yup, the March 2008 EGM has a "Reviews Wrap-Up" write-up on both versions (they're combined and they don't differentiate in the paragraph).

It's on page 88, here it is:

Sigh.

Are you sighing the poor review, or because the review was largely uninformative? It almost seems like the reviewer just doesn't like games where explore and character build and wishes it was more like the original.

They should really just scrap the review wrap-ups if they aren't going to put any effort into the writing.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I'm slightly interested in this for the PSP. I may just pick it up. There's a demo for the PSP version that's been out since Dec., released only in Japan apparently:

http://www.pspfanboy.com/2007/12/24/dungeon-explorer-famitsu-downloadable-demo/

I didn't understand exactly what was going on, but it looks fun. WTF is up with the characters though? The guy I played in the demo was in a soccer suit and fought with a stick, and I was accompanied by some guy with enormous boxing gloves, a person with camo with a machine gun, and what looked like a nurse.

bigswords

NolbertoS said:
I remember playing the original Dungeon Explorer, but this one is meh at best.

Which version are you playing (PSP or DS)? I'm thinking of grabbing the DS version for 3 player co-op online.

bjork

I might pick this up along with Impossible Mission tomorrow, just to get my updated nostalgia on. But maybe not... Impossible Mission for sure, though. :)

Seeing as how I just got rid of Circle of Doom and PSU it looks like grindfests are fighting a losing battle right now. =/

It looks like I'll pass on this.
The youtube footage I saw definitely didn't help. Yikes and gadzooks!

Top Bottom