• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Phoenix Wright: Trials and Tribulations

ronito

Just finished this fine gem of a game. I'm shocked that it didn't garner more attention/publicity which is really a shame. The Ace Attorney series I think is one of Capcom's strongest IPs. Such a shame they aren't pushing them so much in the US.

The game was a lot of fun, albeit nothing really new to it. But I had a lot of fun with it and couldn't put it down. Still I think that Justice for All was probably the best of the series. Even though this chapter was much more dramatic OMG at that last trial that was insane.

I really hated that it sorta ended on a downer note. At the end of the first two you sorta felt happy about it, this one just made me feel sad for everyone involved. Given that it's supposed to be the last game with Phoenix as the main character I'd have expected to feel a lot more triumphant at the end (like I did at the end of the previous chapters) this time I was like, "how tragic." Not a great way to end a game known for it's humor and lovable characters.

Still I like how they expanded on their already set characters
playing as Edgeworth and Mia was cool
. Still I hope Apollo Justice will have something new to offer.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
JFA had the best case imo, but the other 3 were...pretty bad I thought, so overall it's not too high on my list. TaT was awesome though, just finished it a couple weeks ago and loved every second. If you've played the 5th case on Ace Attorney the DS specific stuff you did will be in Apollo Justice through the whole thing, it's the first game to actually be made on the DS from the ground up.

Now I'm sure it doesn't bother gaffers in the least,
but spirit channeling mumbo-jumbo and ghosts is a bit odd for the demographic that might really go after something like phoenix wright. Court TV nuts and what not.

ronito

Papercuts said:
JFA had the best case imo, but the other 3 were...pretty bad I thought, so overall it's not too high on my list. TaT was awesome though, just finished it a couple weeks ago and loved every second. If you've played the 5th case on Ace Attorney the DS specific stuff you did will be in Apollo Justice through the whole thing, it's the first game to actually be made on the DS from the ground up.
You know you're absolutely right. Despite having what I think is the best trial of the series (that Shelly De Killer stuff was great) JFA really did have some stinkers. Circus? WTF?

I am in love with TaT right now. I just hope that I'll have it finished by the time that Apollo Justice arrives.

On case three right now and loving it... All of the animations for the different characters are so awesome, but it's been that way through the entire series.

zoku88

bbsting120 said:
I am in love with TaT right now. I just hope that I'll have it finished by the time that Apollo Justice arrives.

On case three right now and loving it... All of the animations for the different characters are so awesome, but it's been that way through the entire series.
It's easy to finish. I takes less than a week.

Ramenman

TaT is better than the two others in the way that all of the cases are on a "previous games' last cases" level, when it comes to plot twist, crime genius etc.

In the first two games, you play 3 great cases, then you have the last case clearly on top.

Here, you have 3 cases of this "clearly on top" level, but the last one still manages to top them all.

Also in TaT, you find a lot more diversity in pretty much everything.
OMG @ defendant commiting suicide, playing as Mia, playing as effin' Edgeworth as a motherf$* DEFENSE ATTORNEY, then the prosecutor being the culprit, beginning a case with your client already found guilty because of some impersonating, the random-but-mindblowing mirror thing in the Très Bien case, etc

Plus the presentation of the crimes is, at least I thought, far more exciting, because it really feels like "omg no way I can solve this".

Also you have the fact that TaT is the one game who ties the trilogy together. I felt like playing little stories in the same universe when playing AA and JFA. When playing TaT, I felt like I was playing as whole story, including elements from the previous game.

Well, Definitely my favorite :D

Markster

ronito said:
I really hated that it sorta ended on a downer note. At the end of the first two you sorta felt happy about it, this one just made me feel sad for everyone involved.
WUT!

But it totally ends with Phoenix rediscovering the love of his life! Maya will always have spirit channeling to hang out with her mom. Seriously, death means nothing in these games anymore.

I was happy that Gumshoe had a good ending though. Do we have to use spoilers for LTTP threads?

He's the only character that ends up in a romantic relationship with someone else, and he bagged himself a pretty decent girl with Maggey.

Markster said:
WUT!

But it totally ends with Phoenix rediscovering the love of his life! Maya will always have spirit channeling to hang out with her mom. Seriously, death means nothing in these games anymore.

APOLLO JUSTICE SPOILARZ:

The whole 'love of his life' thing? It, uh, goes nowhere fast.

Pureauthor said:
APOLLO JUSTICE SPOILARZ:

The whole 'love of his life' thing? It, uh, goes nowhere fast.
But she's also serving a prison sentence, right? How many years apart are T&T and AJ:AA?

Just finished this fine gem of a game. I'm shocked that it didn't garner more attention/publicity which is really a shame. The Ace Attorney series I think is one of Capcom's strongest IPs. Such a shame they aren't pushing them so much in the US.
I know, right? It disappoints me how Capcom never really pushes any game, either, like how they're not doing TV ads for Okami because they want to cut back on the budget.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
I'm on case 3 now and really like that one. It got off fast and there is a lot of evidence and stuff to keep me entertained. Did not like the second case that much though.

Chris Michael said:
Why the fuck did I unhighlight this :(
Because you are a foolish fool, clearly. ;)

While I don't know if anything will top the feeling of Case 1-4 for me, Trials & Tribulations' final case was amazing as well. Incredibly depressing, (AA4 stuff)
especially knowing how lame everything ends up in AA4,
but a great ending nonetheless.
Maybe I'll just avoid AA4 so I can pretend everything ended happily.
=(

daemonic

Banned
Good to know. Ididn't even know there was a fifth case! I've been kinda hesitant to start ep. 4 since I didn't want the game to end.

ronito

Markster said:
WUT!

WUT!
come on, are you telling me you didn't think it was a huge downer that ultra cool Godot the last person outside of Phoenix that has strong personal ties to Mia Fey sacrificed himself to save Maya and Phoenix was the one that found him guilty? Or that Maya watched her mom get killed in front her? Or that Pearl was used in a murder plot? There was nothing to hint that Phoenix really found the love of his life. Even that's small consolation.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Loved it. Can't wait for Apollo but I have my doubts. I just hope the localization team can spruce up the dialog and help establish personality traits in each individual character.

kuYuri

Awesome game, finished it a few weeks ago. I was kind of hoping for something really epic that shows of all the characters Phoenix ever represented, but oh well.

Apollo Justice shall be mine.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Tyrannical said:
Now I'm sure it doesn't bother gaffers in the least,
but spirit channeling mumbo-jumbo and ghosts is a bit odd for the demographic that might really go after something like phoenix wright. Court TV nuts and what not.

Hint: They are not aiming for Court TV nuts

The main market for Phoenix Wright is Anime Otaku and Adventure fans

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
obijkenobi said:
I was happy that Gumshoe had a good ending though. Do we have to use spoilers for LTTP threads?
This game wasn't released in Europe yet so it'd be nice...

Hcoregamer00 said:
Hint: They are not aiming for Court TV nuts

The main market for Phoenix Wright is Anime Otaku and Adventure fans

They should be aiming for court TV nuts. It coul dbe big like brain training instead of just niche.

It really makes me sad
Phoenix and Maya dont hook up :(
. Maybe I was reading into it but I always thought it was destined to happen and Pearls comments didnt help.
RocketDarkness said:
Incredibly depressing, (AA4 stuff)
especially knowing how lame everything ends up in AA4,
but a great ending nonetheless.
Maybe I'll just avoid AA4 so I can pretend everything ended happily.
=(
Wait a sec you mean everything ends up lame and sad in Apollo Justice? Or are you talking about the whole Phoenix Bum thing we saw in the trailer?

Splatt

The thing that bums me the most about AA4 is
that the "science" girl from 5th case in AA1 is back as a detective instead of Gumshoe. Ugh.... she is so fucking annoying.

sw26

Yoshi said:
This game wasn't released in Europe yet so it'd be nice...

Yep, you know NoE hates you when you see a LTTP thread on GAF for a game that hasn't even got a confirmed date here yet.

:-(

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Tyrannical said:
They should be aiming for court TV nuts. It coul dbe big like brain training instead of just niche.

Court TV nuts would probably hate this series more than anyone else. Realism this is not.

Defuser

Guybrush Threepwood said:
Okay, wait a second...

Is AA4 good or bad? Not that it matters (I'll still buy it), but it would be a shame if the game sucks.
I bet it's..
Gameplay = good

Overall = nothing related to the past 3 games except for Phoenix wright
being a bum

Ramenman

Chris Michael said:
Why the fuck did I unhighlight this :(

Don't worry. If you only know that he returns, you'll still experience more than half the awesome when you find out what happens in the game.:D

Ramenman

sw26 said:
Yep, you know NoE hates you when you see a LTTP thread on GAF for a game that hasn't even got a confirmed date here yet.

:-(

You know you hate yourself when you're not importing this game on your REGION FREE Nintendo DS. ;)

Defuser said:
being a bum

We knew that since the beginning, this cant be considered as a shortcoming.

It might be a pity, and I admit it is. But reproaching AA4 for not being related to the first 3 games is like reproaching Twilight Princess for not being cell-shaded.

If it's the only thing wrong with AA4, then I'm all over it.

Hcoregamer00

Tyrannical said:

No, if this was aimed at court TV nuts, the game would be IGNORED and dead by the second game, not niche. At least having a niche market like AA has made the series last until the 5th game, if not more.

There is a reason why Court TV is dead, because most people don't care for that kind of thing.

sw26

Ramenman said:
You know you hate yourself when you're not importing this game on your REGION FREE Nintendo DS. ;)

:lol

Point taken, but I've got UK versions of the other two so for completeness I'd rather complete the set. I'll import it eventually if NoE don't get their finger out soon though.

thanks

JFA was so bad in my opinion. I just hope the music is good in Apollo Justice like in the original and TaT. Also, no phoenix is really gonna take some getting used to.

incredible game. Gyakuten Saiban is such an awesome serie, I was really shocked by the amount of great time I had playing 'em. Let's hope Apollo Justice is just as good, although I'm sure it will be

Hcoregamer00

Anasui Kishibe said:
incredible game. Gyakuten Saiban is such an awesome serie, I was really shocked by the amount of great time I had playing 'em. Let's hope Apollo Justice is just as good, although I'm sure it will be

Even a shitty Gyakuten Saiban game is good, just look at Ace Attorney 2.

AlexMogil

Defuser said:
being a bum

How do we know that AA5 won't fix that situation? I mean
Nick gets justice in AA4 doesn't he?

jgkspsx

I just started case 5, or just got to the investigation anyway. And
omg Edgeworth! His monologue/dialogue is so good. I wish he starred in a game - it's time for Miles Edgeworth: Ace Prosecutor, dammit!

Grecco

One of my favorite series. I kind of agree that the ending was a litle sad but it was supposed to end the whole trilogy i guess. (Still wish they hadnt too) PW=Friends PW4-Joey

Top Bottom