• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Knights in the Nightmare, direct feed screens

Dascu

This looks really cool. It's good to see some nice sprites and tiles again in this DS world of mediocre 3D.

ethelred

Those screens look absolutely fantastic. Such beautiful 2D.

Sting really is one of the masters of sprites these days. Their work on Riviera and Yggdra Union is stunning.

I can't wait for a video of this. Also, I'm really delighted that Minako Adachi and Shigeki Hayashi are composing the music again.

ethelred said:
Those screens look absolutely fantastic. Such beautiful 2D.

Sting really is one of the masters of sprites these days. Their work on Riviera and Yggdra Union is stunning.

I can't wait for a video of this. Also, I'm really delighted that Minako Adachi and Shigeki Hayashi are composing the music again.

I think this looks as nice (in stills) as Yggdra PSP, which is FANTASTIC. I can't wait to see a film.

kiryogi

Banned
I don't know about it looking as nice as Yggdra PSP, but it stilll looks fantastic. Cant wait for the site to open up.

Kyosuke

After Yggdra Union and Riveria I have complete faith in Sting. And after seeing these screens KitN has already become one of my most wanted games for the DS. As it's been said, the sprite work is beautiful and considering what they've done with the painfully limited sound hardware of the GBA I can't wait to hear what they can achieve on the DS (never played the PSP ports of YU and Riveria).

ethelred

Kyosuke said:
After Yggdra Union and Riveria I have complete faith in Sting.

Same here.

Kyosuke said:
And after seeing these screens KitN has already become one of my most wanted games for the DS.

Same here.

Kyosuke said:
... and considering what they've done with the painfully limited sound hardware of the GBA I can't wait to hear what they can achieve on the DS

Well, on the topic of music, Sting's awesome enough that they're already sharing three fantastic music clips from Knights in the Nightmare. And for anyone that loved the music from Riviera and Yggdra Union, this should be great stuff. It's Minako Adachi and Shigeki Hayashi again.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7YQFIOCK
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QAQY1GZU
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4RJBWHU3

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Looks (and sounds!) great. Can't wait to find out more.

I loved their GBA efforts, and even dig their unnecessary PSP efforts. But it's about time we get something new!

kiryogi

Banned
ethelred said:
Same here.

Same here.

Well, on the topic of music, Sting's awesome enough that they're already sharing three fantastic music clips from Knights in the Nightmare. And for anyone that loved the music from Riviera and Yggdra Union, this should be great stuff. It's Minako Adachi and Shigeki Hayashi again.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7YQFIOCK
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QAQY1GZU
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4RJBWHU3

Temporarily unaccessible? where youd find these btw? Their sites?

edit: got it. OH MAN. :D

kiryogi

Banned
ethelred said:
Isn't the music excellent?

Possibly because it does, in fact, look great.

There's one thing I have to mention. I didn't like the arranged versions of Riviera and Yggdra as much as their originals. Something was definitely lost in translation. But with this, they're starting afresh with the right resources and the end result is fantastic.

ethelred said:

Dude where did you get these? Only the middle link works at the moment (the other two are down). I've only listened to the middle link but hot freakin' damn, this music sounds absolutely wonderful.

I'll add them to the OP, thanks for the clips.

By the way, I'm not sure if this warrants an edit, but I am seriously blown away by the one music sample I'm listening to. Could you please fix the other two links? ;_;

ethelred

Chris Michael said:
Dude where did you get these? Only the middle link works at the moment (the other two are down). I've only listened to the middle link but hot freakin' damn, this music sounds absolutely wonderful.

I'll add them to the OP, thanks for the clips.

By the way, I'm not sure if this warrants an edit, but I am seriously blown away by the one music sample I'm listening to. Could you please fix the other two links? ;_;

Really? I just checked the links again and they seem to work.

Mejilan

I just downloaded them about 3 minutes ago and the links are fine.

The first sample is a bit bland, but the second and third are insanely good. And excellent quality. Very impressive.

duckroll

24m9o1u.jpg

The game's been in development for at least 17 months now, so hopefully it'll be out soon.

23iz53t.jpg

Are you ready?

2cofrl3.jpg

Website opens in 4 hours. :D

ethelred

Error said:
STING sure likes cluttering the screen with a bunch of stuff.

It's true. Their games tend to have an absolute boatload of information management to deal with. It doesn't look like Knights will be breaking that trend.

Mejilan

So if this is Ep. 4, and presumably Riviera and Yggdra Union were Ep. 1 and Ep. 2, respectively... wtf is up with Ep. 3?

Mejilan said:
So if this is Ep. 4, and presumably Riviera and Yggdra Union were Ep. 1 and Ep. 2, respectively... wtf is up with Ep. 3?

I don't think Riviera and Yggdra are officially related, are they? I realise they're on the banner but...

This could be far more exciting: something as ambitious as OBS!!

By the way, in the official website, what does it say under Genre? (???????? RPG)

Does it really say turn based RTS RPG? I thought that was a mistranslation last week, because that still really doesn't make sense. Judging by the screens it seems like a normal turn based strategy RPG.

(also, I didn't know it the first time, but the music on the website has vocals; pretty cool)

Mejilan

Ogre Battle Saga, I guess? Should really be Ogre Saga, since that's composed of Tactics Ogre and Ogre Battle games.

Edit - And yeah, despite some similarities in style, I wouldn't have linked Riviera and Yggdra Union. Still, then again, why not?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Music seems very "Someday the Dream Will End" to me, just with more dips in intensity...dunno why

Mejilan said:
Ogre Battle Saga, I guess? Should really be Ogre Saga, since that's composed of Tactics Ogre and Ogre Battle games.

The official moniker of the series was "Ogre Battle Saga", because of the original legendary "Ogre Battle" (an event within the game's primeval era, not the game). :p

Mejilan

Be that as it may, it SHOULD be Ogre Saga.

I wish Square would resurrect. Even without Matsuno.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Mejilan said:

I've played a little of Ogre Battle on SNES. Tactics Ogre for GBA is rare as hell and I'd assume Ogre Battle 64 is the same. And I dont think Tactics Ogre: LUCT has ever been translated.

Mejilan

Tactics Ogre: LUCT was officially released here on the PSOne by Atlus. And a fan-translation of the SNES version exists as well, from what I hear.

The only one that wasn't localized (to my knowledge), is Ogre Battle Gaiden for some obscure handheld. NeoGeo Pocket, maybe?

Edit - Yeah, I guess you can say that the Saturn and SNES versions of TO:LUCT were never localized, but we did get the PSOne version. We received:

Ogre Battle: MotBQ - SNES
Ogre Battle: MotBQ Special Edition - PSOne
Tactics Ogre: LUCT - PSOne
Ogre Battle 64: PoLC - N64
Tactics Ogre: KoL - GBA

Or something.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Well I'm playing through Earthbound for the first time right now, and was planning on playing through Axelay and both Pocky & Rockies after that, but maybe I should pick up Ogre Battle

It seems similar to FFT in style. Does it play similar?

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
HK-47 said:
Well I'm playing through Earthbound for the first time right now, and was playing on playing through Axelay and both Pokey & Rockies after that, but maybe I should pick up Ogre Battle

It seems similar to FFT in style. Does it play similar?

Ogre Battle owns, it's not like FFT though.

Mejilan

Tactics Ogre is what FFT clones. Ogre Battle is... different. It's also strategic, but it has real-time elements that the "Tactics" based RPGs lack.

Mejilan

Apparently a line of Sting RPGs that currently consists of Riviera, Yggdra Union, Knights in the Nightmare, and one, perhaps two more unknown games.

ivysaur12 said:
What is Dept. Heaven?

Seems to be their line of portable RPG's comprising a certain staff. Nothing else in particular as far as I know. Although it is odd that this game is #4 and there doesn't seem to be a #3...

Sting making a new PSP game confirmed?

Top Bottom