• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Holy crap, Space Invaders Extreme could very well be portable game of the year

rpgfan16k

This game has been hyped since TGS (unless my memeory is failing me yet again), and I am looking forward to it immensely :D

I heard the DS version has online play. Is this true?

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Told you fools, game rocks the house.

Watched the video -- the ds version has better music lol.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Not intending to troll, but popular import sentiment seems to say DS + Arkanoid Paddle is the way to go for Space Invaders from what I've heard. Thoughts?

I was thinking about importing since I doubt there would be any language barrier, but im gonna wait for the PSP version to come state side.

I played the demo a while ago and thought it was amazing.

I was wondering if I should get it on PSP or DS, but I really dont like it when two screens act as one long one and I heard the game does that. Plus I think the sharp graphics and sound would be on the PSP. If the paddle ever comes to the states or something is announced, that would make me go for the DS version.

YES

I imported this one and was just singing its praises to all my friends yesterday. Probably one of the best reinventions of a classic game :) DO WANT MORE

kenta

Has no PEINS
Himuro said:
wtf it's made and published by Square Enix? That's what the eb site says. I thought this was all Taito? It even says Taito when you boot it up.

And :( @ June release
Well SE owns Taito sooo :p

okno

Hooooly cow. After watching that video I really want this game. This and Patapon (amongst other games) are really pushing me to buy a PSP.

errrrrrggghhhhhhaaaaaggggghhhhhh

sprsk

The graphics are absolutely identical, all they seem to have changed is the music. The sound effects are exactly the same.

Tiktaalik

Yeah I've been playing the demo of this as well. It's extremely good and a must buy. I'd like to try out the DS version as well.

lopaz

Banned
Eh... I've been playing the demo too, it's pretty fun, but techno beats and flashing lights don't thrill me that much. If the game's cheap it'll be good, nowai I'd pay full price for it. Also, why are there no shield blocks? That's a vital part of space invaders :(

edit: oops, $20 is awesome. if it's 20 quids in the UK ill bite

RyanDG

Yeah, I'm absolutely in love with this game. I think its the best game on the DS easily. A perfect example of what a portable game should be as well as a loving tribute to the grand-father of all space shooters. I wrote a full review of it where I sang all of its praises and basically called it the second coming. The game is f'ing brilliant.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Between this and Patapon, I'm going to have random tunes stuck in my head for a while. I played the hell out of the demo the other night. Its awesome as hell. June is far away. :(

sprsk

mutsu said:
LOL the video says it's DS exclusive. Probably an old video back in the days the PSP version was not yet announced.

Yeah I think its pretty clear though that the PSP version is just a DS port with different music and tweaks for being on the single screen.

There's no widescreen mode or tate mode or anything.

i've been in a retro kick lately since buying geometry wars galaxies (i was lttp on GW until galaxies came out last december)

good to see things like this trickle out so often lately. i hope its a trend

Rlan

I really like the look of the game, but the only think that sort of looks weird is the backgrounds - it looks like they tried to go with Lumines esque stuff but ended up using FMV? It looks a little distracting.

RyanDG

Rlan said:
I really like the look of the game, but the only think that sort of looks weird is the backgrounds - it looks like they tried to go with Lumines esque stuff but ended up using FMV? It looks a little distracting.

Fortunately, Taito was smart and foresaw this problem. The backgrounds can be turned off in the options menu.

Rlan

RyanDG said:
Fortunately, Taito was smart and foresaw this problem. The backgrounds can be turned off in the options menu.

Cool.

I mean, I love backgrounds in Lumines, I just wish they were more similar in Space Inavders.

Are there several backgrounds in the game, to "collect" or any similar concept?

Flunkie

Banned
I absoluted LOVED the PSP demo, and I immediately ordered it from Play-Asia about a week ago, the day the demo came out. It should be here soon.

I cannot wait to play the full game!

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
HOLY SHIT

I played the GOW demo before trying this, god that was atrociously bad. SPACE INVADERS EXTREME on the other hand OMG.

edit: 20 bucks!?!? so SOLD

Fady K

Error said:
HOLY SHIT

I played the GOW demo before trying this, god that was atrociously bad. SPACE INVADERS EXTREME on the other hand OMG.

edit: 20 bucks!?!? so SOLD

Do you like action games?

batbeg

Fady K said:
Do you like action games?

The GoW demo is attrociously bad. Crashed my PSP twice, slowdown... I didn't like the gameplay, but I'm in the minority on that one :lol

I'll check this demo out later, but I'm now conflicted on whether to go DS or PSP :(

Top Bottom