• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Unoffical Where is Shard? - Brain Challenge XBLA Thread

Gowans

bannerdefault.jpg

Get your brain in shape with fun daily exercises—these challenging and entertaining puzzles act like a vitamin boost for your brain. Brain Challenge™ is more than just a game, it's your personal coach for mental fitness!

Twenty different games in five categories (Memory, Visual, Logic, Math, and Focus) will train all areas of your brain. Keep track of your progress every day, and easily evaluate your level of brain activity. Brain Challenge is the easy and enjoyable way to keep your brain alert.

* Multiplayer fun: Challenge friends with four-player offline and online multiplayer modes.
* Game variety: Thirty games are broken down into different categories—Memory, Visual, Logic, Math, and Focus.
* Training room: Play all the mini-games within each category freely.
* Creative mode: Relax by exploring your brain's creative abilities through five games.
* Stress mode: Test your abilities under stressful conditions.
* Personal coach: Choose your favorite coach to accompany you through all your brain development steps and develop a unique relationship with him or her.
* Brain charts: View your overall performance and progression with detailed stats and graphs

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/b/brainchallengexboxlivearcade

Release Date: 13th March 2008 10:00 GMT
800 Points

20_2.png

10.209.244.21-image30_2.png

10.209.244.22-image56_2.png

060_2.png

050_2.png

Can follow Shards template but could this game be a ok Brain Age rip off?
If it has great online & leaderboard integration I'll defo pick it up.

Gowans

yeah, too late now its late.

Just really wanted to see if anyones checked this out anywhere yet, I'll try out the demo tomorrow, if its half way decent and different enough from Brain Age then I'll pick it up.

Wonder how the online and leaderboards will work too.

Gowans007 said:
Just really wanted to see if anyones checked this out anywhere yet, I'll try out the demo tomorrow, if its half way decent and different enough from Brain Age then I'll pick it up.
I'm hoping it's a lot more like Big Brain Academy than Brain Age.

Gowans

Amir0x said:
Shard is hiding in my pants.

P.S. This game is AWFUL on DS, who wants to buy on XBLA?

You need to shit sometime, only then can we get our PR feeds and XBLA official threads. ;)

This game was on the DS?

I knew there were a few but only have messed with Brain Age and Big Brain Academy.
Gah if its shit I will have to really decide how much I want to out brain chumps on my friends leaderboard or over live. If they can beat me in shapes and maths challeges I will be gutted.

Amir0x

Banned
Gowans007 said:
You need to shit sometime, only then can we get our PR feeds and XBLA official threads. ;)

This game was on the DS?

I knew there were a few but only have messed with Brain Age and Big Brain Academy.
Gah if its shit I will have to really decide how much I want to out brain chumps on my friends leaderboard or over live. If they can beat me in shapes and maths challeges I will be gutted.

yes it's total shit. Only semi-cool feature, at least compared to other brain age games, is the distraction tests... they give you some bog standard math or english problem, and then try to distract you making it hard for you to answer right. The distractions are amazingly effective.

That's the best thing I can say for it.

Gowans

Guess we'll see tomorrow.

I'll be cautious tho last thing I need is another XBLA or Brain Training game that I play for a few days and forget about.

Wonder if it steals the built in Sudoku idea then maybe.
no change Sudoku game coming

Gowans

just played the trial, what Cs & Ds and a Brain Capacity of 0%?!??! Tempted to get it to prove it wrong.

On the fence, he modes I played were very basic but the leaderboards & multiplayer has me curious, guess I'll read that review with breaky and wait for the opinions of anyone who picks it up.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Do the brain training games actually work? Like do you feel sharper after using them for a few months?

Also, I want to grill some steaks on that brain.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
a Master Ninja said:
For fucks sake get off the computer and go cook something!

-Timedog

I'm trying to lose 10 lbs :(

I might go cook some eggs or something though. Butter tastes so good dude, admit it.

Also, do you have an answer to my question?

nubbe

Seems strange that I got 0% at the first try and it just go up 1% each time I play it.
I kinda wanted to try Brain Traning, but never did... and this is way cheaper. So I think I'll pick it up.

C4Lukins

I decided to be the test dummy. Very similar to Brain Age for the DS, who would of thunk it? It is probably a little more fun just because it seems to have more mini games in it. Not sure how many, but I would guess a couple of dozen.

It is kind of silly because it does not seem to test your brain usage according to your last performance, but seems to be cumulative. For example the first time I did the daily brain test I was at 8%, now I am up to 13%. There is an achievement for using 100% of your brain :)

Lots of the games are similar to a standard IQ test. Games where you do basic algebra fill in the blank as quickly as possible. There is a game where you have to do two things at once where you spin the right analog stick continuously while you answer questions with the left analog stick and the left bumper. Memory stuff where you follow the path of a line along a grid and other assorted things. It is more fun then the original Brain Age, but that is the only other game in the genre I have played to compare it to.

Like Brain Age you start with a few modes unlocked, and as you progress more become available. You gain new ranks the more you play. You can do the daily test which picks five random games which test each of the 5 things the game measures. You can also do training modes for each of the individual mini games which last 90 seconds and they give you a letter grade afterwards. There are three degrees of difficulty for each mode. There is also a stress test mode where it measures your stress level by throwing random mini games at you, often with some sort of distraction or screen distortion and grades you based on how you do. That mode is a bit like a less fun Warioware.

When you do the daily test, you get a final score and that is what registers on the leaderboards. The leaderboards are divided into your highest daily test score, and there are individual leaderboards for the 5 different measures they use; memory, logic, math, visual, and focus.

I played around with it for about an hour and that is about all you can take before your brain melts. If you like these types of games, there is nothing especially terrible about this one.

Gowans

Thanks for the details C4Lukins, nice of you to take the bullet for us :D

So you liked it hmm.. managed to also give miles more info than the IGN review. Whats the deal with Multiplayer, its turn based but how does it work?

Seems like you thought it was fine enough tho, cheap enough to, mite bite when I get back from work

C4Lukins

Gowans007 said:
Thanks for the details C4Lukins, nice of you to take the bullet for us :D

So you liked it hmm.. managed to also give miles more info than the IGN review. Whats the deal with Multiplayer, its turn based but how does it work?

Seems like you thought it was fine enough tho, cheap enough to, mite bite when I get back from work

Do not get me wrong, it is just decent. I tried to do multiplayer but nobody was on. I think if you like these types of games, then you are going to have fun with it. It is essentially the first Brain Age with twice as many mini games.

Eurogamer:

6/10

All the expected charts and grades are present and correct, should you wish to know how the game rates your brain on its own arbitrary scale, while the Creative Mode generously encourages you to "have fun". There's a mode for kids, which didn't seem any easier than the normal version to me, as well as an online and offline multiplayer mode in which you complete challenges in order to get rid of cards in a sort of "Carol Vorderman does Uno" affair.

What it doesn't have is an option for different people to have their own profile in the game, which seems like a rather silly omission. The game just assumes that it's the same person playing every time, so families wishing to enforce their own fascistic Brain Challenge regime will have to log in and out of different Xbox Live accounts every time. There's also no limit on how many times you can take the daily test, so you can just sit there for a few hours and crank your score up through repetition rather than any genuine increase in skill.

For all my reservations about the format, there's definitely an audience for this sort of thing out there and while 800 Points puts this in the upper price bracket for Live Arcade, it still makes it the cheapest brain game option around. In that regard at least, it gets the job done.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Uhhh... I can't help but feel some of these challenges are way too hard to start off with. I can only imagine what it's going to be like once I've done the Brain Test several times.

Brain Training was never this hard. :mad:

C4Lukins

cjelly said:
I got it!! Add me if you wanna play online:

CrunchinJelly

I just realized it was you I played online. That damn fitting the gears into the slots mini game breaks my brain. I will send you a friend invite, but I am done playing for now.

For those who want to know about multiplayer, it seems pretty fun.

It is basically like Uno. Each card represents a mini game. You play your card and then you play a short mini game. If you fail then you get your card back. If you succeed you get points, and your card is removed and you get a star. If you get three stars then you get a bonus card which does different things like add two cards to your opponent or remove two of your own cards. Once all the cards are gone the game is over and the player with the most points wins.

I've had this game on the DS for a month or so. A lot of fun minigames, but the scoring system is bogus. Doesn't matter how good or bad you do, your percentage seems to always increase by 2%-3%. No rhyme or reason, just a hook to keep you coming back day after day. As a game, it's solid (I love the untangling lines game, addictive as hell), but feels much less useful as a training tool. I actually pick this up before Brain Age in the morning simply because of the fun factor. I can only imagine that it's even more gamey on XBLA. But no need to imagine, is there? I'm off to dl this thing. . .

Gowans

plenty of mini games and a mulitplayer a little like Uno.

Go on I'll pick it up, havnt got a game this genre on XBLA and whats six quid.

just checked Aku, C4Lukin and CJelly and Super Mackem make up my whole friends leaderboard.

hmm... mmm... Ok baught.

Games decent, but I use the stick and they made it super sensitive, some games I have lost being a pure JIP!!!!

The stress games are SOLID!!! some of the distractions you need two brains to deal with.

Like the multiplayer alot, it really is Uno with brain challenges, I was so close to making a giant comeback too!

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
GunFingers said:
I've had this game on the DS for a month or so. A lot of fun minigames, but the scoring system is bogus. Doesn't matter how good or bad you do, your percentage seems to always increase by 2%-3%. No rhyme or reason, just a hook to keep you coming back day after day. As a game, it's solid (I love the untangling lines game, addictive as hell), but feels much less useful as a training tool. I actually pick this up before Brain Age in the morning simply because of the fun factor. I can only imagine that it's even more gamey on XBLA. But no need to imagine, is there? I'm off to dl this thing. . .
Yup, the Brain Test just seems to go up 1% after each turn. What a con. :lol

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
FINALLY, i RISE FROM THE DIGITAL ASHES!

Anyway, sorry about the sudden leave of absence folks, I was forced offline due to some turbulent circumstnaces and I have only just now gotten back to the internets. Believe me when I say I have did not want to be torn from my post and my peers, but I am here now. Also, not a half bad job and mimicking one of my threads Gowans.

soldat7

hokahey said:
Wow. What a rip-off. Especially the Mii faces.

Those indeed look like Mii faces but the concept of these 'brain training' games has been around for a looong time. There's been games like this for my Pocket PC for years.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Shard said:
FINALLY, i RISE FROM THE DIGITAL ASHES!

Anyway, sorry about the sudden leave of absence folks, I was forced offline due to some turbulent circumstnaces and I have only just now gotten back to the internets. Believe me when I say I have did not want to be torn from my post and my peers, but I am here now. Also, not a half bad job and mimicking one of my threads Gowans.

Internet. Serious business.

Bildi

I downloaded this today and really enjoyed it so I bought it. There's actually a lot more variety to this game than I first thought and it'll definitely keep my busy.

But nobody on my friends list has it so if anyone has room on their friends list and is playing this please add me.

GT = Bildi.

Meier

The demo for this was absolutely BRUTAL. Almost as bad as the game I tried after.. Bliss Island. When can we expect another good XBL game?

Gowans007 said:
plenty of mini games and a mulitplayer a little like Uno.

I got a bit of an UNO vibe from it too. It's probably my favourite part of the game, though the netcode has major problems with the most egregious being that at least half of the time your game will end right as it's getting set up due to some dodgy connection issues. As well most people still set up Easy/Medium online games and it's hard to go back to those modes once you get halfway decent at the minigames, especially since there's one obvious winning strategy at these levels that most players still haven't somehow figured out.

Top Bottom