• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI Endgame

Lokaum D+

Sounds tedious
Yeah, u know what sounds cool ? This one

KR4bdIq.jpg

I pray for one day square do another 4 hours endgame hunt with "auto-play gambits" this is for sure 100x less tedious, i miss the good old days of turn based and thrilling end game content.

Go_Ly_Dow

I just want to know can you turn off those damage numbers on screen and weird text like " cinematic strike".
I think you can, the State of Play showed battle footage without numbers. I'd guess the devs are aware of some not being a fan of them so would include the option.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
It's kind of arrogant to think people want to play a 50 hour game a second time and to hide features behind the second playthrough. I am going to make sure to sell my copy in July when I am done with my single playthrough.

near

Gold Member
It's kind of arrogant to think people want to play a 50 hour game a second time and to hide features behind the second playthrough. I am going to make sure to sell my copy in July when I am done with my single playthrough.

It's a normal standard to lock modes behind an initial playthrough. Those features described in the OP are only there to provide an incentive to anyone who wants to continue exploring FFXVI with a different approach, and isn't intended for everyone.

Rush2112

Banned
looks actually like a western game. have not seen any anime shit yet.

combat looks very much like a witcher 3 game. even the backstep dodge animation looks just like Geralt's. hes got the fireball attacks too :messenger_grinning_squinting:

Last edited:

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I don’t want to read this, but someone please just answer me this: did they answer if the hunts will be challenging?

Labolas

Hype. Ngl, this has potential to be goty. I've been nothing but impressed by what I've seen of this game.

Last edited:

Kaim0

Neo Member
I feel like some people only played one type of JRPG in their entire life.

"Again, this is a very story-focused game," Yoshida says. "We didn't want [the story of] the characters to be hampered by, for example, having to pay attention to setting Torgal's parameters. Because some might forget to do it and in the middle of the game think: 'Why is Torgal so weak? Oh, I didn't define its parameters well.'"

I would adjust expectations in case of expecting an RPG.

This will be me playing this game in my man cave in NG+ mode. Won't be able to do it in the first playthrough because my girl is interested in watching it (she loves FF probably more than me but I'm the one who plays it).
Video Games GIF by South Park

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
"Again, this is a very story-focused game," Yoshida says. "We didn't want [the story of] the characters to be hampered by, for example, having to pay attention to setting Torgal's parameters. Because some might forget to do it and in the middle of the game think: 'Why is Torgal so weak? Oh, I didn't define its parameters well.'"
FFX was very focus game, so was FFVI, VII, VIII and IX. Heck majority of JRPGs are story focus.

I would adjust expectations in case of expecting an RPG.
I feel like most of you guys only played one type JRPGs in your entire life.

Kaim0

Neo Member
FFX was very focus game, so was FFVI, VII, VIII and IX. Heck majority of JRPGs are story focus.
Right, but they weren't abandoning the RPG elements for that. Are two things that can coexist in those games.

I feel like most of you guys only played one type JRPGs in your entire life.

It's not a problem for me, but I wouldn't expect an RPG (and neither would I with the new GoWs, for example). According to Yoshida's statements and the previews, it is more of an action game with a lot of focus on the story. I'm not judging, it's just a description.

Danjin44

Right, but they weren't abandoning the RPG elements for that. Are two things that can coexist in those games.
What makes you think they abandoning RPG elements? Let me guess it has action combat, as if games like Tales of or Star Ocean didn’t exist. You can’t control party members? I guess games like Persona 3FES and Xenoblade 1-2 are not RPG?

Last edited:

Kaim0

Neo Member
What makes you think they abandoning RPG elements? Let me guess it has action combat, as if games like Tales of or Star Ocean didn’t exist. You can’t control party members? I guess games like Persona 3FES and Xenoblade 1-2 are not RPG?

Are the new GoWs RPGs for you? I think it's pretty evident that they're trying to keep the RPG elements to a minimum in favor of action. Removing a party, removing customization from a party, mp, relieving any customization, etc Those games you mention may not have a particular element but they do have other RPG elements. Is not the same.

RPG Site previews say:

"What’s perhaps most curious is that this preview beat of Final Fantasy XVI was sold as the ‘RPG beat’. It was where we were going to see the title’s role-playing credentials and understand the depth beneath the action combat. But I walked away not really much wiser as to how deep that particular rabbit hole goes.

For all intents and purposes, this extensive hands-on gave the air of an action game - though a particularly lavish one with some role-playing hooks. There’s no shame in that, either - we cover plenty of games like that on RPG Site, such as the recently-released Star Wars Jedi Survivor. But beyond giving us a glimpse into a story that seems worthy of Final Fantasy’s narrative legacy in its ambition, this hands-on left it still too hard to tell just how tightly the RPG mechanics fit into the game - or indeed tell how integral or extensive they are
."

Last edited:

Danjin44

Are the new GoWs RPGs for you? I think it's pretty evident that they're trying to keep the RPG elements to a minimum in favor of action. Removing a party, removing customization from a party, mp, relieving any customization, etc Those games you mention may not have a particular element but they do have other RPG elements. Is not the same.
You do know there are MANY RPGs that dont have any party system right? games like Souls series are RPGs with no party system, also have you not played Xenoblade games? They are no MP in those games, heck there is not even item you can use in battles.

Last edited:

GenericUser

You do know there are MANY RPGs that dont have any party system right? games like Souls series are RPGs with no party system, also have you not played Xenoblade games? They are no MP in those games, heck there is not even item you can use in battles.
Souls are not rpgs

Kaim0

Neo Member

I said it before: those games you mention may not have a particular element but they do have other RPG elements. Is not the same. It is not about having all the elements of the RPG that exist in a single game as if it were a checklist. Some focus on a specific RPG element, others RPG on other elements, and so on. Dark Souls has parameter customization, for example, something Yoshida isn't interested in in XVI given the quote above.

Last edited:

Danjin44

I said it before: those games you mention may not have a particular element but they do have other RPG elements. Is not the same. It is not about having all the elements of the RPG that exist in a single game as if it were a checklist. Some focus on a specific RPG element, others RPG on other elements, and so on. Dark Souls has parameter customization, for example, something Yoshida isn't interested in in XVI given the quote above.
FqD2uBPWIAYiW6c

images-4.fill.size_2000x1125.v1677526064.png

it-does-appear-that-the-center-eikon-is-ifrit-so-that-v0-glrv90v2g6qa1.jpeg

FFXVI as much RPG as other JRPGs out there. You guys see fast paced combat and suddenly its no longer RPG.

Danjin44

Are the new GoWs RPGs for you?
New God of war went to direction, in fact there are enemies/bosses in that game you can barely do any damage to them and can one shot kill you because your level is not high enough, which that was NEVER the case with old God of War games.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

I miss the time where endgame FF was superbosses, doing minigames for the best equipment, hidden summons, etc.

Doing the same stuff but harder and a Horde mode / boss rush for no rewards doesn’t sound nearly as good imo.

Kaim0

Neo Member
New God of war went to direction, in fact there are enemies/bosses in that game you can barely do any damage to them and can one shot kill you because your level is not high enough, which that was NEVER the case with old God of War games.

And Chaos Legion was also an RPG in its day? That they put some light RPG elements does not make them RPG. They are still Action games with some RPG element.

Today even shooters have RPG elements. That doesn't make them an RPG either.

Danjin44

And Chaos Legion was also an RPG in its day? That they put some light RPG elements does not make them RPG. They are still Action games with some RPG element.

Today even shooters have RPG elements. That doesn't make them an RPG either.
I mean there are WRPGs like Mass Effect and even Fallout that have gunplay so, I mean by your logic most WRPG are not really RPGs?

I miss the time where endgame FF was superbosses, doing minigames for the best equipment, hidden summons, etc.
None of you played FFVIIR? The game had also lot of super bosses but only available on hard mode.

How do know FFXVI wont have same thing?

Last edited:

near

Gold Member

RPG Site previews say:

"What’s perhaps most curious is that this preview beat of Final Fantasy XVI was sold as the ‘RPG beat’. It was where we were going to see the title’s role-playing credentials and understand the depth beneath the action combat. But I walked away not really much wiser as to how deep that particular rabbit hole goes.

For all intents and purposes, this extensive hands-on gave the air of an action game - though a particularly lavish one with some role-playing hooks. There’s no shame in that, either - we cover plenty of games like that on RPG Site, such as the recently-released Star Wars Jedi Survivor. But beyond giving us a glimpse into a story that seems worthy of Final Fantasy’s narrative legacy in its ambition, this hands-on left it still too hard to tell just how tightly the RPG mechanics fit into the game - or indeed tell how integral or extensive they are
."

FFXVI is 100% an RPG through and through. GoW has evolved into an RPG. RPG is board and while FFXVI's gameplay is very much action combat focused, it is complimented by stats, and quests which are the defining characteristics of an RPG.

Kaim0

Neo Member
I mean there are WRPGs like Mass Effect and even Fallout that have gunplay so, I mean by your logic most WRPG are not really RPGs?

None of you played FFVIIR? The game had also lot of super bosses but only available on hard mode.

How do know FFXVI wont have same thing?

For example, Control is also an RPG? You can unlock "skills" through points too. I think if XVI counts as an RPG because it has those slight elements, today all the damn games are RPGs because those elements are in all of them.

Danjin44

For example, Control is also an RPG? You can unlock "skills" through points too. I think if XVI counts as an RPG because it has those slight elements, today all the damn games are RPGs because those elements are in all of them.
I never played Control so I dont know

Again the only reason you think FFXVI is not RPG because it has action combat and lack of party control which can be said about Dragon Dogma, Souls games and majority of WRPGs.

Here is idea, maybe wait and play the game before judging if its RPG or not.

near

Gold Member
Control is not an RPG. It is a adventure game, or action adventure if you will. The skill tree is used to enhance abilities, but it doesn't have a levelling system, nor does it have a quest structure narrative design.

Top Bottom