• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madden Monday - 4/14/08 - User-Controlled Celebrations

anachronous_one

Prologue Type S Alpha
http://www.gamestop.com/gs/blog/
Gamespot Blog said:
Are You Ready for Some Madden Mondays?
If you're a Madden fan, passing the time from now until the August 12 release of Madden NFL 09 can be like watching the movement of the minute hand on a clock. Sure, you can watch the NBA or NHL playoffs, but it's just not the same, is it? And baseball? You'd probably prefer the clock-hand thing.

We're here to make it easier for you over the next several weeks because we're beginning a new weekly segment called "Madden Mondays." Exclusively here at the GameStop blog, we'll reveal a different feature for Madden NFL 09 every Monday that nobody else knows about. These are not necessarily THE new features of Madden NFL 09, but they are nonetheless interesting features that the good folks at EA Sports will reveal to us before they give them to anyone else. While they are keeping many of the core features under wraps until later, you can rest assured that they are working to make Madden NFL 09 the most realistic experience ever, and they would never just add purple horseshoes to their cereal and call it a day.

Because we're celebrating our new weekly feature, we thought it would be fitting to tell you about the new User-Controlled Celebrations. Gone are the days of just hoping your player will celebrate after a touchdown. Now you will be in control after a touchdown, and a simple push of the "celebrate" button will allow your player to spring into action. If that player happens to be known for his elaborate celebrations, then he'll perform some of those that you've seen him do in real life. For example, a player like Terrell Owens has more than 10 of his familiar celebrations available.

Not only will unique players have unique celebrations, but different "Hot Spots" in the end zone will feature different celebrations, as well, like dunking over the goal post or hot-shotting in the corner of the end zone. Specific stadiums will even feature their own local celebrations. Can you say, "Lambeau Leap?" We've also been told that an extra "hidden" control will let you steal an opponent's celebration so you can really rub it in. However, you'll have to discover that one on your own.

Speaking of celebrations, can you believe it's been 20 years since the first edition of Madden football? Check out the 20th Anniversary Collector's Edition of Madden NFL 09 for Xbox 360 and PS3, which features a full version of NFL Head Coach 09 and exclusive classic Madden NFL gameplay. After you've read about the Collector's Edition and watched the video trailer, remember to check back every "Madden Monday" for another GameStop-exclusive scoop on another Madden NFL 09 feature.
Yay? Sounds ok, I guess, but I really hope that all of the work on celebrations means that they are confident that they have the gameplay up to snuff. The fluff is meaningless if the gameplay is broken.

RyanDG

I find it funny that with the NFL taking steps to crackdown on celebrations, this is what EA sports is spending their time on with Madden...

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
jordan0386 said:
Surprised the NFL signed off on that.

I am VERY surprised as the league would prefer everyone to give the ball to the ref after every TD. From an EA perspective, it will bring in some casuals and hardcores alike. If I am beating DM's Bucs with my Texans and score a TD with Andre Johnson, it would be a nice slap in the face to have him do the moonwalk. Seems like a trash talking aid to me.

Jtrizzy

Keighly on the GTA Bonus Round seemed to think the PS3 version still has issues. I will not buy it again this year if it is inferior to the 360 edition .

methane47

I hope they have the Dirty Bird in there!!

Keighly on the GTA Bonus Round seemed to think the PS3 version still has issues. I will not buy it again this year if it is inferior to the 360 edition .

HUGE_F'inRolleyes.gif

Aeon712

Jtrizzy said:
Same, no way I'm dropping 60$ on 30fps >_<.

Cheeto

I still think they should invest more into the core game. Seems like every year there is a new quirk that ruins it.

f3niks

It's nice that they were able to bring back this feature. I assume the Portis cart wheel will still be in there but I wonder if they will bring back the Ickey shuffle or the Stephen Davis celebration.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Jtrizzy said:

Did he say anything else about the game?

anachronous_one

Prologue Type S Alpha
SonnyBoy said:
Give us an advanced physics system!!!
You mean, you want a football that doesn't magically pass through limbs and torsos to result in a completed pass? GTFO and enjoy slam-dunking the football over the goalpost!

Dilbert

Great -- the most retarded part of football is now part of a football videogame. I wish I had that celebration button right now!

GQman2121

Banned
anachronous_one said:
You mean, you want a football that doesn't magically pass through limbs and torsos to result in a completed pass? GTFO and enjoy slam-dunking the football over the goalpost!

Word.

Does anyone else see the irony in a feature like this being announced on a GAMESTOP blog? I'm surprised that it didn't end with a link to where you can pre-order............

Alphahawk

This whole idea is a blatant rip off of Smash Dojo, not that I'm complaining, just thought I'd be the first to point it out...

BojTrek

Banned
rjcc said:
Congratulations, they've finally added a feature that was always in NFL2Kx

I was gonna say it too... it is a feature that should always be there... the little taunt that is user controlled is actually a great feature and about time they added it.

SlayrUK

Pointless feature..

Maybe it should have some kind of risk/reward structure. i.e. do a celebration and you may mess up the point scoring....... :D

416716badcelebration.gif

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
It would be worth it if you could Gus Frerotte-style ram the player's head into a concrete wall and concuss himself.

anachronous_one

Prologue Type S Alpha
SlayrUK said:
Pointless feature..

Maybe it should have some kind of risk/reward structure. i.e. do a celebration and you may mess up the point scoring....... :D

416716badcelebration.gif
Hm...

Guileless said:
It would be worth it if you could Gus Frerotte-style ram the player's head into a concrete wall and concuss himself.
There's your risk/reward system right there! Fail at the celebration and risk injury to the player! :lol

Seeing the image posted on the Gamestop site prior to reading the full text made me initially think that there would be God or War-esque button press sequences in order to do a celebration. *shudder*

Alphahawk said:
This whole idea is a blatant rip off of Smash Dojo, not that I'm complaining, just thought I'd be the first to point it out...
you're the first person to be deemed fucking idiot.

IGN was doing Smackdown features on a weekly basis, before Smash.

sajj316

Haven't bought Madden since 05 and I don't think I'll be buying 09. If only there was the NFL2K series. Competition is good.

Broktune

Banned
Wow, non radio commentary AND td celebrations? Geez EA, don't spoil us. You need to save some of these revolutionary additions for the next Maddens.

This is so crazy. This franchise makes bazillions of dollars and they always seem to be one step behind. Shit, 2k5 had content, presentation, gameplay and sold for $20. C'mon EA, throw everything + the kitchen sink into this game.....for once. We deserve it.

i won't be able to pull a cell phone out of the end zone a la joe horn.
i won't be able to grab the pom-poms out of the cheerleaders and dance a la chad johnson.
and i won't be able to do the dirty eagle dance.

point is, its the NFL, so probably the 10 plus options will be something like: pumping left fist, pumping right fist, diving, running to the crowd... minor stuff like this.

cool, but lets not get over ourselves.

SlayrUK

Blablurn said:
welcome to euro 2008!

Just tried the demo and yeh... user-controlled celebrations are there.

Shame I had no idea what I was making Henry do cept run towards the advertising boards lol

Not a great feature... can live without.

bluemax

Banned
NCAA had user controlled celebrations back in like 06 I think. You pressed a certain button combo before scoring or right after scoring and your player would do different things or the mascot or the fans would show a sign.

It was cool to risk 15 yard penalties by having your player taught the other team after a big sack or TD.

They made the celebrations more automatic a few years later.

h1nch

Yeah. Forget about the wonky animations, sluggish playcall screen, half-assed training camp modes, non-existent presentation, this season is all about USER CONTROLLED CELEBRATIONS.

Jtrizzy

dskillzhtown said:
Did he say anything else about the game?

Not that I remember. I think it was in the 4th episode of the GTAIV Bonus Round. They were talking about the PS3 eventually becoming the lead SKU for multi plat games and which version of GTA would look better and all that.

IIRC, they were all in agreement that the differences in GTA would be virtually non existent, but then Keighly through in a little comment about last years debacle with Madden and how they still weren't up to speed yet.

sure wish NFL 2k was still around. now there was a football game that was complete. features that most definitely DID work (i loved using QB spy), no stat tracking bugs, incredible AI that did not contain any matrix-style animations for DB's, great running game devoid of ultra powerful rushers, realistic running animations, willie "4.3" roaf, players suffering "heart attacks" as injuries and being day to day, franchise mode that lets me draft mostly mexican players, and so on.

in all seriousness, i wish NFL 2k were still around as well. competition is a good thing no matter how you want to look at it. but if APF was any indication (and we can debate on whether it was or not), madden is undeniably the best football game on the planet (even looking at both games strictly from a gameplay standpoint).

yes it's all opinion, but why bother coming into a madden thread to say "LULZ, i dint buy a football game sence NFL 2k5, looks like i wont be this year ether, fuck off EA monopoly"?

we get it. so let me compose a couple sentences that you can C&P into every new madden thread that is made: madden sucks ass. they don't innovate. they've never given the fans what they want. every madden is a roster update; EA should only charge $9.99 for the yearly updates. the only reason madden sells is because of its name and the nfl license. if nfl 2k was around today it would be light years ahead of madden. maddens presentation is awful. madden should have had feature X long ago.

;)

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
This is what I have seen:

* User-Controlled Celebrations. Now you will be in control after a touchdown, and a simple push of the "celebrate" button will allow your player to spring into action. If that player happens to be known for his elaborate celebrations, then he'll perform some of those that you've seen him do in real life. For example, a player like Terrell Owens has more than 10 of his familiar celebrations available. Not only will unique players have unique celebrations, but different "Hot Spots" in the end zone will feature different celebrations, as well, like dunking over the goal post or hot-shotting in the corner of the end zone. Specific stadiums will even feature their own local celebrations. Can you say, "Lambeau Leap?" We've also been told that an extra "hidden" control will let you steal an opponent's celebration so you can really rub it in. However, you'll have to discover that one on your own"

* New Announcers. The old radio announcer will be gone and there will be new announcers who have yet to be named.

* Offensive Line Slide Protection. "Offensive line slide protection will be returning."

* "Video and Screenshot Features (ability to save replays and screenshots)". "It sounds as though the video and screenshot feature for EA Sports World found in NCAA Football has been added."

* Glitches. Glitches like disconnect glitches, jetpacking and spectacular catch glitches have all be fixed.

* John Madden. "Also John Madden will be used in the game but supposedly not in the way we would expect (eliminate his possible return as commentator).

* Uniforms. All uniforms will be fixed from last year.

* Weather "To give Mother Nature the respect she deserves, they've overhauled everything from Madden 08 to give you a movie-like experience. One of these overhauls is fog, and lots of it. It gives a greater sense of depth and scale and makes the stadiums seem huge. We've heard that no two snowflakes are alike, and although we haven't seen every flake in Madden 09, we can tell you the snow is more realistic than ever. You'll see deeper snow on the fields, with dramatic accumulation and realistic wear from play. Player's footsteps will leave imprints, snow will be piled on the sidelines and the yardage lines will be shoveled, just like in a real game. We probably won't see a snowplow clearing off a space for a field goal since the NFL banned their use after the infamous 1982 "Snowplow Game." But you never know."

* Stadiums Improved color correction and stadium light bloom mean that you'll see the steam of a player's breath on a frosty night, as well as splashes of water when his feet hit the rain-covered turf. And the 3-dimensional interaction that snow and rain particles have with the wind may tempt you to bundle up when you play. You'll see it all at a movie-quality 60 FPS rate on the Xbox 360 and PS3. All of these subtle differences add up to give you an immersive NFL experience that may tempt you to bundle up."

---

As usual, the third game in the generation fixes bullshit issues and turns out to be a good game. (Third true game, that is)

Slide protection is a total must. Fixed jetpacking and spectacular catches would be nice.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Dissapointing. I thought that we'd get control of the crowd celebrations.

Ramirez

Gwanatu T said:
Oh wow, so that feature that's been in Metal Gear Solid since the PS1? Impressive EA. Impressive.

It's actually been in Madden since about the first one on the PS2, maybe earlier, dunno why they tout it like it's something new.

You might want to say impressive Tiburon next time though, since ya know, that's who makes it. But I'm sure you knew that!

Top Bottom