• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Monopoly' (PS2/Wii/X360/PC) Officially Announced

Endless

EA Deals Prime Real Estate in MONOPOLY Video Game

Most Played Board Game in the World Reinvented With a Party Twist For Next-Gen Video Game Platforms

REDWOOD CITY, Calif.--The Casual Entertainment Label of Electronic Arts Inc. today released additional details on MONOPOLY (working title), the first Hasbro-branded video game set to launch on next-generation consoles including Wii™ and the Xbox 360™ video game and entertainment system. MONOPOLY will also be appearing on the PLAYSTATION®2 computer entertainment system as well as mobile phones and Pogo.com™. The multiplatform video game is inspired by Hasbro’s highly anticipated MONOPOLY HERE & NOW: The World Edition board game. Currently, the MONOPOLY video games are set to release this fall simultaneously with the global launch of the new board game.

The MONOPOLY video games promise a fresh take on the timeless classic with accessible gameplay for players of all ages and skill levels. The all-new digital gaming edition brings a party twist and features 4-player simultaneous play, ensuring that everyone is engaged and allowing the whole family to get involved in the fun and play together. Faster gameplay eliminates downtime freeing up players to wheel and deal their way through some of the most recognizable cities and landmarks from around the world. Families can fill up their passports as they try to unlock new and never-before-seen game boards or challenge each other to fun interactive mini-games like breaking out of the jail cell and running away with all the loot. Play in offline single or multi-player mode and compete to own it all and win!

“EA is taking MONOPOLY’S core gameplay and bringing it to life in a way never before imagined,” said Chip Lange, Vice President and General Manager of EA’s Casual Label. “With this dynamic take on Hasbro’s classic board game, we’ve accelerated the pace of play, added new interactive mini-game sequences and integrated multi-player moments designed to make MONOPOLY a non-stop party for the whole family.”

“It promises to be a very exciting fall for MONOPOLY fans worldwide,” said Mark Blecher, General Manager of Digital Media and Gaming at Hasbro. “EA has done a tremendous job of re-imagining the world’s most popular board game by remaining true to the traditional gameplay that millions of consumers have come to love while also creating new digital twists that can only be achieved in an interactive world. Rolling the dice and passing go will never be the same.”

Creative director Matt Birch and producer Darren Potter interview (blog.newsweek.com)

Monopoly has been around forever. What's different about this?

The highlight of EA's Monopoly is a mode that they're calling The Richest. "The idea with The Richest was to take advantage of the speed of computing to make a game that a modern family could sit down and play in 20 or 30 minutes," says Matt Birch, the game's creative director. Think of it as the speed chess version of the game you know and love.

Interesting, but vague. How does it work?

For The Richest, your goal is still to amass the most wealth, but here, you keep score with assets. The more properties you own, the richer you are. When you land on a property that no-one owns, it's yours. But when you land on a property that someone else owns, you have to give them one of your properties as rent--and vice-versa.

I get that. But what's with the speed chess analogy?

With The Richest, your counter occupies multiple squares at once rather than just one at a time. To figure out how many squares you'll land on, each round starts with all of the the players competing in a mini-game themed to the Chance and Community Chest cards that we all know and love. After the mini-game is over, the game rolls a number of dice--one for each person playing the game--and players select the die of their choice in the order of finish in the mini-game they've just completed. The number on the face of the die you've picked corresponds to the number of squares that the game will randomly place you on. From there, the game plays out as described above.

How many mini-games are there?

Bright Light is still refining the list of mini-games. Among the ones we played included Get Out of Jail (cut through iron bars as quickly as possible), Hospital Fees (X-ray Mr. Monopoly to find all of his organs) and Ride to Reading (speed around the train tracks without overshooting each of the four train stations). "That's a favorite around the office," Birch says of Ride to Reading. You hold your Wiimote down flat to help the train accelerate as fast as possible. But then as you're approaching the station, you have to pull it back up to brake. If you overshoot, then you've got to go 'round the board again and get to the next station. I guess in a way it's an homage to Densha De Go! or something like that. We could sit and play that all day."

9srx8z.jpg

I like the sound of it, but I don't own a Wii. How's this going to work on my Xbox 360--or my little sister's PS2?

Buttons and analog sticks, how else? The game is definitely leading on the Wii, and while the other versions weren't shown, Bright Light is determined to bring an equivalent experience to each machine. Take the Ride to Reading mini-game, for example: you'll push forward on the analog stick to accelerate and pull back to brake. "You actually get a little bit more precision with the analog stick," says Birch. "That's an example where the controller is offering a slight skill advantage on the 360 over the Wii. But then the Wii obviously has a physicality to it that the 360 doesn't offer."

What about online?

We'll have more on that later.

Am I looking at $60 for this?

Nope. It will set you back $40 on the Wii and Xbox 360, and $30 on the PS2.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Monopoly is one of the worst board games out there. I have no idea why it's still so popular

Rlan

I've just e-mailed for clarification now on whether this is a box product or downloadable. The use of "Digital" a variety of times usually means downloadable (despite that the term could be used for either).

If it IS a downloadable title it'll be EA's first. They've refused XBLA, PSN and WiiWare / Virtual Console previously (Sim City was published by Nintendo, Skate or Die by Konami).

Ponn

Banned
What...wait...NOOOOOOO!! People have been screaming for Monopoly since XBLA came out and they finally are bringing it but not on XBLA and with goddamn minigames??!! WTF!

Costanza

Banned
Rlan said:
I've just e-mailed for clarification now on whether this is a box product or downloadable. The use of "Digital" a variety of times usually means downloadable (despite that the term could be used for either).

If it IS a downloadable title it'll be EA's first. They've refused XBLA, PSN and WiiWare / Virtual Console previously (Sim City was published by Nintendo, Skate or Die by Konami).
Didn't they make that fireworks game?

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/b/boomboomrocketxboxlivearcade/

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Chairman Yang said:
Monopoly is one of the worst board games out there. I have no idea why it's still so popular

It's accessible, has a good balance of skill and strategy, is an enjoyable abstraction of a generally understood real-world concept, is easily themed or skinned without disrupting core gameplay, can be played casually or hardcore, has a flexible set of rules including a number of enjoyable and common house rules. It's a great board game.

Disclaimer: I own somewhere between two and three dozen editions of Monopoly.

andthebeatgoeson

I'd be interested in their reasons they chose the specific platforms. How hard would it be to port a PS3 game? Or why not have it be a downloadable game? Is this a sign the casuals don't go online? Is online more niche than anything? Or is it because they don't want to have to go thru the XBLA/Wiiware/PSN approval process?

Chairman Yang said:
I agree. The winner is determined very early on in the game & then it's a slow lingering death for the other players.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
skinnyrattler said:
I'd be interested in their reasons they chose the specific platforms. How hard would it be to port a PS3 game? Or why not have it be a downloadable game? Is this a sign the casuals don't go online? Is online more niche than anything? Or is it because they don't want to have to go thru the XBLA/Wiiware/PSN approval process?

Wii is the lead platform apparently.

Another_visitor said:
I agree. The winner is determined very early on in the game & then it's a slow lingering death for the other players.

The winner will not be determined early on if players properly compete in the auction process or trade properties intelligently. Even if the winner is determined early on, the "war of attrition" scenario you're talking about normally only happens if there's a relatively even property distribution.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Hey they made Jenga for the Wii... and that is just block...

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Costanza said:
Not being on XBLA/PSN/WiiWare for 10 bucks = fail

WAAAT

Stupid as hell. Even though I don't like Monopoly I would have definitely picked it up on XBLA. They could have made a killing through DLC too.

Dave Long

Banned
No PS3 version is sort of ominous, isn't it?

Monopoly has always been a top seller on consoles. They'd only be throwing money away by charging less and selling it digitally.

This will sell very well and make EA a lot of money.

It's a terrible board game with almost zero strategy. Its popularity is baffling. I think it's because it gives the impression to kids that there's lots of choices to make, belying its simplicity and giving the illusion of strategy, without making people actually have to strain their little minds into thinking too much.

Of course, if this has lots of new gametypes then maybe some of them will be good, but there's so many other games more worthy.

Rlan said:
Well it's absolutely NOT XBLA then. Thanks to N'Gai:

http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/leve...-monopoly-on-reinventing-hasbros-classic.aspx

Utterly missed opportunity AND a huge ripoff considering you can get this:

679767.jpg

That one is being classified as a rare game now, so most places you can find it are gouging hardcore. You can't get a copy from an Amazon seller for less than $70. eBay doesn't look much more hopeful.

It's a damn shame because pretty much the only way a boardgame should be sold as a videogame is in a collection with other boardgames. It's not like they go the extra mile with these things. (I own the Payday/Life/Yahtzee GBA compilation... It's pretty much the definition of minimal effort.)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
MalevolentPanda said:
It's a terrible board game with almost zero strategy. Its popularity is baffling. I think it's because it gives the impression to kids that there's lots of choices to make, belying its simplicity and giving the illusion of strategy, without making people actually have to strain their little minds into thinking too much.

Again, there's plenty of strategy in the auction and bargaining processes. If you just play the game as "if you land on property, buy it. build when you've got cash" there's no strategy, sure.

For example, up-bidding an auction you don't want that someone else does so they have to pay more. Varying your bid at an auction based on probabilities of upcoming roles. Social engineering involved in trades. Cash incentives on trades as a short-term/long-term balance. Hell, even the variance of the dice can be analyzed via Markov chains to give an indication of where likely upcoming rolls will be taken.

In addition, most people play with Free Parking, but the game is a different beast without it. Momentum is a bigger deal, and purchasing/building has to be more conservative because of lower income in the early-game.

Mortgaging is also somewhat strategic. Many people play with mortgage buybacks equal to mortgage costs, but official rules dictate that you must pay mortgage costs+10%, which means that there's a disincentive to mortgage versus bargaining or selling houses.

The pace is also blazing once you memorize all the rent cards.

Of course, part of the appeal of the game is that without any of this strategy, it's still playable. It's the Smash Bros of video games. Technical if you want it to be, button mashing if you want it to be.

NofrikinfuN said:
That one is being classified as a rare game now, so most places you can find it are gouging hardcore. You can't get a copy from an Amazon seller for less than $70. eBay doesn't look much more hopeful.

It's a damn shame because pretty much the only way a boardgame should be sold as a videogame is in a collection with other boardgames. It's not like they go the extra mile with these things. (I own the Payday/Life/Yahtzee GBA compilation... It's pretty much the definition of minimal effort.)

In fact, the Monopoly 4-pack for the DS is the only DS game that sells for higher than MSRP. Electroplankton occasionally goes for MSRP or slightly higher, but the 4-pack is the only game selling consistently substantially above MSRP.

It had one of the smallest print runs for a non-collectors edition game in the last five or six years.

Stumpokapow said:
Again, there's plenty of strategy in the auction and bargaining processes. If you just play the game as "if you land on property, buy it. build when you've got cash" there's no strategy, sure.

For example, up-bidding an auction you don't want that someone else does so they have to pay more. Varying your bid at an auction based on probabilities of upcoming roles. Social engineering involved in trades. Cash incentives on trades as a short-term/long-term balance. Hell, even the variance of the dice can be analyzed via Markov chains to give an indication of where likely upcoming rolls will be taken.

In addition, most people play with Free Parking, but the game is a different beast without it. Momentum is a bigger deal, and purchasing/building has to be more conservative because of lower income in the early-game.

Mortgaging is also somewhat strategic. Many people play with mortgage buybacks equal to mortgage costs, but official rules dictate that you must pay mortgage costs+10%, which means that there's a disincentive to mortgage versus bargaining or selling houses.

The pace is also blazing once you memorize all the rent cards.

Of course, part of the appeal of the game is that without any of this strategy, it's still playable. It's the Smash Bros of video games. Technical if you want it to be, button mashing if you want it to be.
I'm not stupid. I know how to play it properly but it still doesn't add up to a strategic experience. Everyone plays exactly the same way unless they're really thick. There is not a variety of contrasting but valid approaches to playing. You almost never have to think about what to do because it's glaringly obvious.

Still, good news if you like it, although the lack of downloadable versions is extremely silly.

Struct09

While I would be more likely to purchase this as a XBLA/PSN/WiiWare game, it makes sense that they went with a traditional disc based approach. The casual market will eat this up, and they aren't too keen on digital distribution yet. The average person will see this on the store shelf and say, "Sweet, Monopoly!"

Top Bottom