• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Monopoly' (PS2/Wii/X360/PC) Officially Announced

Lobster

Banned
Costanza said:
Not being on XBLA/PSN/WiiWare for 10 bucks = fail

Yup.

Rlan said:
679767.jpg

Wasn't that pack a pos with broken multiplayer though?

The only way this can not fail is a good online.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
iapetus said:
When I saw this thread I was hoping it would be by EA, for the irony value of the title alone.
I think the fact that this line hasn't gotten a few :lol :lol :lol means nobody has read past Costanza's post.

So without further ado:

:lol :lol :lol

Well played good sir.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Stumpokapow said:
Again, there's plenty of strategy in the auction and bargaining processes. If you just play the game as "if you land on property, buy it. build when you've got cash" there's no strategy, sure.

For example, up-bidding an auction you don't want that someone else does so they have to pay more. Varying your bid at an auction based on probabilities of upcoming roles. Social engineering involved in trades. Cash incentives on trades as a short-term/long-term balance. Hell, even the variance of the dice can be analyzed via Markov chains to give an indication of where likely upcoming rolls will be taken.

In addition, most people play with Free Parking, but the game is a different beast without it. Momentum is a bigger deal, and purchasing/building has to be more conservative because of lower income in the early-game.

Mortgaging is also somewhat strategic. Many people play with mortgage buybacks equal to mortgage costs, but official rules dictate that you must pay mortgage costs+10%, which means that there's a disincentive to mortgage versus bargaining or selling houses.

The pace is also blazing once you memorize all the rent cards.

Of course, part of the appeal of the game is that without any of this strategy, it's still playable. It's the Smash Bros of video games. Technical if you want it to be, button mashing if you want it to be.

That's an interesting analysis, thanks. However, auctioning/trading mechanisms are done better in any number of other board games (Game of Thrones and Puerto Rico, for example), without the heavy luck factor and clunkiness of Monopoly.

As for free parking, people play with it because they intuitively understand that it dampens the effect of luck. Without it, players can get stuck or be wiped out easily very early in the game. With it, they have a cash buffer that lets them survive long enough to build up properties of their own. Momentum SHOULDN'T be too big of a deal, otherwise you end up with a poorly-designed "runaway winner" style of game.

Stumpokapow said:
It's accessible, has a good balance of skill and strategy, is an enjoyable abstraction of a generally understood real-world concept, is easily themed or skinned without disrupting core gameplay, can be played casually or hardcore, has a flexible set of rules including a number of enjoyable and common house rules. It's a great board game.

I disagree with all of the above. Let me address each point:

Accessibility: It isn't. It might seem that it is, but that perception is coloured by the ubiquity of the game, and how many people have played it. There's nothing intuitive or logical about the rules.

Skill/Strategy: Drowned out by the luck factor.

Enjoyable Abstraction of a Real-World Concept/Easily "Skinned": Certainly not. Think about what happens in the actual game: you play a business tycoon who buys up property but has to pay rent to other players when you randomly wander into their neighbourhoods. That's also why the concept can be easily altered--because it's so abstract and doesn't make any sense anyway, so why not just throw in Star Wars characters or whatever?

Flexible Rules: if the core rules didn't suck so badly and were so easily misunderstood, there wouldn't be such a widespread compulsion to change them.

Just my opinion--I don't want to imply that you (or anyone else) can't have fun with the game. I just think the design is obsolete and the game shouldn't be played over the horde of superior alternatives.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
bah I was hoping this would be an evolution of 'Monopoly Tycoon', which is awesome.

I dont know what all this bullshit about "Using the power of modern computers to speed everything up so you can play a game in 20 minutes", I have monopoly on my phone and a game never lasts longer than half an hour.

Talamius

So, which of you is That Guy? (tm) You know, the one who gets the one weak monopoly on the board and refuses to ever trade, attempting to draw out the game for months? :lol

bryehn

Says it's a Wii screenshot, though it's at 720p, either way looks like complete shit. They don't even have the property names in place yet.

24pcfgj.jpg

MechDX

bryehn said:
Says it's a Wii screenshot, though it's at 720p, either way looks like complete shit. They don't even have the property names in place yet.

http://i27.tinypic.com/24pcfgj.jpg[/IMG]

800 MS points for the street names.

Gowans

Gah this isn't XBLA?!?!

You fail EA!

Its weird but in my head now this would be day one on XBLA but retail I'm not gona touch it, even budget.

After it bombs on 360 (will do better on Wii) I hope EA relook at the market and put it where it should have gone in the first place.

800-1200 points on XBLA would have been such a better option with new themed versions as DLC.

Look at the success of Uno nearly reaching a million downloads with a big community and active players.

Sigh...

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Oh dear.

1) This should be a downloadable game.

2) They've managed to mangle Monopoly (again) by making it something other than Monopoly. If I want Mario Party, I'll play Mario Party, which is sure to be of higher quality than this anyway.

3) Monopoly is fun, especially when you play with people who, well, have social skills and the ability to "wheel and deal". Monopoly is only dull when you play with nitwits who stubbornly refuse to trade/deal/whatever throughout the game. The trading aspect is the main part of what makes Monopoly a game, as opposed to just being a pointless exercise of die rolling.

Kifimbo

bryehn said:

Of course they don't, the game is based on Monopoly Here & Now: The World Edition, a new edition with 22 cities that will be named in August.

pilonv1

EA has an exclusive deal with Hasbro now, so don't expect this to be the only overpriced board game they release.

Costanza said:

If anyone from EA is reading this. You get +1 sale from me if it's online on XBLA and -1 sale from me if you do a shitty last gen port on a retail disc.

Oh, and btw... I will purchase each and every single online board game you make for XBLA so quit leaving money on the table and release them already. Have you seen the UNO sales stats?

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
Costanza said:

QFT

I'm pretty pissed that they're not offering this up for PS3. I've actually been wanting this to play with my wife on the PS3. I don't want the PS2 game, I want an HD Monopoly. Silly? Maybe, but why the fuck won't they put it out on PSN? That's so stupid. It would sell like bananas on XBL and PSN, and it'll probably sell for shit as a retail disk.

Sorry for the bump but this is the only Monopoly thread.
So umm... this game released like 3 days ago :lol
From the looks of it, it also released on PS3 (unlike the original PR). Not sure if it includes online (I don't think it does).

Anyone "tried" to pick this up? :p

bryehn

I have the Wii version in front of me. It's going in the system after I check out Jillian Micheals 2009 and finish up Wii Music. Will post impressions this evening.

Costanza said:

I was so excited until I read this. I can buy Ticket to Ride, Carcassone, or Settlers of Catan for $10 each on XBLA. These games all retail for between $20-$40. EA wants me to pay $40 for Monopoly, which I could pick up for about $15-$20 at Toys R Us or Target. No sale.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
So tempted to get this...but fuck 40 dollars...me and my friends still play the SNES version of monopoly lol

Top Bottom