• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favorite and least favorite TRAIN levels

TRAINS are everywhere in games, probably because it's easy to design a tight, linear gameplay experience as you work your way up the cars. When I get to a train level, I know I'm in for a good time. Usually. With at least two exceptions. Read on, or don't, and by all means list your own memorable train excursions.

Faves

Time Splitters Future Perfect

ts3.jpg

One of my favorite underrated FPS' from last gen, this train had it all, great level with fun setpieces and a variety of challenges in each car. And of course Harry Tipper.

Splinter Cell- Pandora Tomorrow

pantrain.jpg

Some unconventional ways of traversing this train, intense moments as you shimmy along the edge and even crawl underneath it while it's in motion.

Final Fantasy 8

timber.jpg

The Timber Train, gorgeous stuff

Goldeneye

tsfp_train.jpg

Cool gunfight in the first cargo car, cool escape setpiece in the last car, intense close quarters corridor combat in between, it's all good baby, this is a prototypical train, improved on only by the aforementioned Time Splitters.

Ninja Gaiden 2

NinjaGaidenIINESSS7.png

Despite the high bird content, a pretty cool classic Ninja Gaiden level.

Outfoxies

outfox.jpg

One of the simpler levels in this ridiculously awesome shoot'emup/brawler hybrid, the train provided a good intro level to learn the tricky game mechanics.

Covert Ops- Nuclear Dawn

covertops_2.jpg

I think pretty much the whole game was on a train. And I'm sure it's not as cool as I remember it, but I loved anything that was like RE back then, I was all over it.

Resident Evil Zero

biozero22_640w.jpg

A claustrophobic and promising start to what was ultimately a disappointing entry in the RE series.

WORST

Not many because generally train levels are sweeeeet

Gears of War- just a total anti-climax. An ''is that it?'' moment if there ever was one.

Shadows of the Empire- that junkyard train... it's been ten years so I can't remember precisely why I hated it, but I remember that was about when I could quit. I hated that level.

Grand Theft Auto- San Andreas

lossantos066.jpg

I guess it was an OK mission, but that fat prick just wouldn't aim right for me.

BIG BUBBA

Did I mention it's time to cancel my Ratchet and Clank preorder yet?
There's a train level in Tiny Toons: Buster Busts Loose on the SNES. Pretty good.

It doesn't really count, but there's a boss fight in Alien Hominid that takes place on a busy highway that is just ridiculously awesome.

Also, the train in Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door was charming and fun.

GhaleonQ

BocoDragon said:
"Bury My Shell at Wounded Knee!"

Woo!

Train murders are awesome, so that would include Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door and the stellar The Last Express.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Rahxephon91 said:
Zone of the Enders 2
Oh yeah.. that's a good example of this thread cause it was called "Train Destroy"... my brother and I had a save there for a few days so it became a new meme. TRAIN DESTROY!!

BocoDragon said:
"Bury My Shell at Wounded Knee!"

Ah yes! Good one. Still with Konami and the western theme, I think Sunset Riders had some sweet train content. Chasing them, fighting on them, etc and soforth.

Yeah here we go

sunsetridersau2.gif

Ra\/en

I just finished the train in Lost Odyssey. It was alright :)

Actually, the whole 3rd disc has been awesome so far!

Props to FFVIII's train sequence. Very fun and intense. Graphics were WOW for PS1. looking back, it's still awesome.

I remember shadows of the empire's train level sucking. And IG88 sucked at the end as well!

chubigans said:
tsfp_train.jpg

Thats not Goldeneye...is that Goldeneye Source?

Haha, yeah probably. I just searched for ''Goldeneye Train'' in google, that looked like a good enough result at first glance!

And now I can't find a good one fast enough so it stays *shrug

batbeg

Favorite:

nzoz12.jpg

Phantom Train from FFVI. I love having the little ghost join your party (so damn cute), and Ziegfried is also pretty funny. Then at the end of it you have the touching moment with Cyan. (Edit: GHOST train, that's why it was hard to find pictures of phantom train :lol)

Least Favorite:

North Corel Train from FFVII. I can't find a picture, but the one with the Huge Materia that's rushing towards North Corel. :mad: There was some stupid mini-game you had to play to stop it, and I had no idea what the hell I was meant to do (or was that FFVIII?)

Honorary mentions for favorite go to Unreal Tournament and the train in Midgar, as there's some pretty scenes with it (like when Jesse shows the map to Cloud, or the beginning).

batbeg said:
Favorite:

nzoz12.jpg

Phantom Train from FFVI. I love having the little ghost join your party (so damn cute), and Ziegfried is also pretty funny. Then at the end of it you have the touching moment with Cyan.

Excellent, yes, I can hear that playfully disturbing music in my head right now.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
What I remember about the FFVI Ghost Train, was a character pile driving it in combat.

GTA IV has a nice chase scene that runs through the subway. As well as a nice "keep up with the overhead train" mission.

beelzebozo said:
the excess express, paper mario 2

30vjbxt.jpg

Hell yes, easily my favorite.

Red Dead Revolver also gets my vote, switching between a horse, train, and little handcart with a gattling gun was all sorts of awesome.

painey

FFVIII's was SO FUCKING INTENSE, and the mix of jaw dropping FMV was the shit.. I messed it up first time round though.

Jigsaw

Banned
Rahxephon91 said:
Not the best screenshot

zoe2_0118_4_640w.jpg

Zone of the Enders 2

i really love zoe2,but the train level is without a doubt the shittiest part of the game...it was so frustrating,mainly due the lack of health packs....not to mention the respawning enemies...and the instant death attacks of the train...and the timelimit

bah,this level was just pure crap

Cowie

trainz_scan_dvd.jpg

but seriously folks! there was a pretty good train level in one of the splinter cells. and the tmnt level was gone in first post, nice.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
<3 FFVI Phantom Train. I remember in 1994 how certainly it cemented my love for FF.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Gears of War, actually. That final mission was f*cking epic (except for the actual final boss).

beelzebozo said:
without clicking the links, i'll bet the post above me is shadows of the empire

edit: oops, nope.

HA!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJInCPBngPA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SS7aQ_9PO74

Wow, look at all the fancy prerendered graphics the PC people got.

I am disappointed with myself for forgetting that particular stage. I still have enough nostalgia left over to forgive Shadows' flaws. I mean, come on, Battle of Hoth! in 3d!

Now how about punching apart fuel tanks with your BARE FISTS!?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1ba8JZU6CE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkwcziCGUCw

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I remember some ancient C64 game I played a few times... you were a mountie, hopping across a train and shooting the bad guys.

Anyone know the game?

Top Bottom