• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EGM Rumour: Killer Instinct 3D: Death, Destruction, and Doom

Old?

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3167950

The July issue of EGM will soon begin spawning in subscribers' mailboxes, so we're here to blow the lid off the latest gaming gossip from resident rumormonger Quartermann. He's been on a roll lately (especially now that tempestuous BioShock-on-PS3 drama has finally been resolved), so don't take his scuttlebutt nuggets lightly just because they sound far fetched....

First up, he's heard that Microsoft-owned developer Rare is currently hard at work on a new Killer Instinct offering for Xbox 360 tentatively titled Killer Instinct 3D: Death, Destruction, and Doom. Word has it that the plasticized 2D visuals and mash-happy gameplay have been wisely bulldozed in favor of fully 3D graphics and a more refined combat system. Our Q-spies in the U.K. report that the game looks "rather early" yet "promising," and tell us to expect a hasty denial from the cheeky lads at Rare.

Qmann has also heard some juicy new tidbits for all the first-person shooter fans out there. Allegedly, Activision's upcoming Call of Duty 5 won't make it to store shelves in time for this fall's holiday gaming season and will instead deploy across multiple platforms in February 2009. We're actually shockingly OK with this delay -- with all the pressure on developer Treyarch to match the quality and success of Infinity Ward's phenomenal COD4, they could certainly use all the extra time to polish up the game. Electronic Arts isn't ready to concede the murder-simulator genre to its competitors, though: Look for a new Medal of Honor game in 2009 that's set in war-torn Afghanistan. If that's not enough shootery for you, 2K Games also seeks to revive its former budget-bin hit Spec Ops as a top-shelf next-gen offering with a new installment set in the fashionable Middle Eastern city of Dubai.

All of these musings and many more from Quartermann can be viewed in full in the July issue of EGM, which should be hitting subscribers' mailboxes in the next week and newsstands shortly thereafter.

I hate that subtitle <_<

But, New Killer Instinct is always a good thing, loved my Cinder back in the days :)

batbeg

Isn't this likely just based on the joke poster at the Rare offices, that used old Killer Instinct promo footage and said something about Killer Instinct 3D?

...Yeah, I'm not putting too much faith in this one.

LowParry

Hrmmmm. I've never ever ever ever have believed in a new Killer Instinct game. Although the first KI had a great soundtrack. Still have my cd from the SNES!

Nolan.

It's so funny that the picture whats his name posted had the same lines (destruction, doom etc). Rare got egm too. At least I don't expect to see a new killer instinct.

Geek

Ninny Prancer
ki3.jpg

I just can't help but think that Rare is fucking with us.

No! Don't scrap the combat system! KI was the only game non-fighting game enthusiasts like me loved and played! Don't do this to us!

At least bring KI or KI2 or even both to Xbox Live Arcade! Please!

kbear

Oh man.. another KI would be a fucking dream game for me. Personal favorite fighting game of all time... I knew Rare would deliver

Nolan.

kbear said:
Oh man.. another KI would be a fucking dream game for me. Personal favorite fighting game of all time... I knew Rare would deliver

I love how they pretend they heard it first hand though ''our guy told us''... oh wait maybe the wall told them.

mr stroke

"Word has it that the plasticized 2D visuals and mash-happy gameplay have been wisely bulldozed in favor of fully 3D graphics and a more refined combat system"

please Rare, do not try to make this game "smart" and "refined" save that for VF and SF, people played KI because of the SGI graphics and ultra combos. if they take away crazy 100 hit combos then this game can go to hell.

edit: well I guess EGM failed :(

I dont understand why KI has always been dubbed a button masher...there was alot to the game, lots of little techniques that a button masher could never do. Buffers, cancels, manual doubles, RPS counters, turns arounds... Hell, the game even had a parry to counter any happy masher to their doom. I hope it doesnt lose its identity, because KI2 was one of my fav fighters(even thought it lost the personality of the first). I was so happy to play something that was different than sf2 that actually still contained alot of substance and was actually good.

Ill keep an eye out on this, wonder what they have cookin...

Sean said:
The Killer Instinct 3 thing was a JOKE poster that Rare hung on their walls when the press visited. The images were official artwork from the previous games, just do a Google Image search for Killer Instinct and they're among the first results... http://danielprimed.com/gaming/retro-gaming/killer-instinct-–-awesomeness-in-character-design

glacius.jpg
fullgore2.jpg

Rare just put that to fuck around with the press, and it totally worked. :lol :lol

Nice rumor, EGM.

I remember having all that art of the game when it was out...i moved and i dont know what happened to it. i still have the strategy guide which had the art in it and the Killer Cuts cd though(great music)

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Awsome, hopefully it comes true. Killer Instinct is my favorite fighting series.
flipping_heck said:
But, New Killer Instinct is always a good thing, loved my Cinder back in the days :)
I hate people that used Cinder. They always did that one move where he flies toward you. It was some like foward, foward, attack or something like that.

besiktas1

Wasn't that poster originally posted in the Banjo thread on gaf? I can't remmeber by who, but I think it was the guy who showed himself with his Viva Pinata Card of the monkey...

Quaterman reads gaf confirmed? lol

samusx

Banned
New KI3 interview.

So was the cooking simulator an idea for KI3 from the begining of development?

No, the cooking simulator was a seperate idea all together. After working it, we felt this would be a perfect fit for a KI3 game. So we put it in there.

***Fake Joke interview***

I will always hate Killer Instinct as the game that fucked up the fighting genre with auto combos but it would not be a bad idea at all for MS to bankroll something like this in the future especially if there will be no more DOA games.
Sony has been as of now able to hold on to Tekken, KI would give MS its own series to run with.
But yeah at the moment this is fake and unfounded.

Geek

Ninny Prancer
besiktas1 said:
Wasn't that poster originally posted in the Banjo thread on gaf? I can't remmeber by who, but I think it was the guy who showed himself with his Viva Pinata Card of the monkey...

Quaterman reads gaf confirmed? lol

Considering this is probably in the print version, which requires more lead time, they may have seen that exact same poster during a studio visit to Rare (if that is part of their source). I believe there were some Rare studio visits planned for early April.

Minsc

Gold Member
OokieSpookie said:
I will always hate Killer Instinct as the game that fucked up the fighting genre with auto combos but it would not be a bad idea at all for MS to bankroll something like this in the future especially if there will be no more DOA games.
Sony has been as of now able to hold on to Tekken, KI would give MS its own series to run with.
But yeah at the moment this is fake and unfounded.

I don't know, I can see how one would find the game repulsive due to how it's built around combos and combo breaking, but if you were able to get past that, it was actually a fun system.

I really enjoyed the N64 one, though the KI2 machines in the arcades were more of a treat for me, I never did get good enough to master all the shadow moves and combos, but it was at it's time a very enjoyable game to watch, and the soundtrack was pretty nice too.

I think KI is part of the reason I enjoyed the over-combo reliant Marvel vs games as well.

KI also had a much more enjoyable cast of characters for me than any other 3D fighting game, but that's just about true of any 2D fighter.

Syringe

Rare has been hinting Killer Instinct forever. Even though that poster is a joke, I do feel that the expression "no smoke without a fire" suit the whole situation quite good.

Rare has two games finished and out on the market in just six months and beyond that we know nothing. A Killer Instinct wouldn't be that strange of a choice for them to do next, would it?

Top Bottom