• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EGM Rumour: Killer Instinct 3D: Death, Destruction, and Doom

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I think Nintendo still owns the trademark. And after seeing the Mortal Kombat remakes, it might be better to leave the past in the past. KI2 on XBLA would be hot though.

If true, it'll be nice to have an upcoming lesson in being careful what you wish for.

Also, good job EA and 2k. Ride off Activision and Ubisoft's coatails.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Kafel said:
Rare got them. :)
I searched the trademark office and this was the only record. Now, what is interesting is that Nintendo abandoned the trademark in 2006.

Word Mark KILLER INSTINCT
Goods and Services (CANCELLED) IC 028. US 022 023 038 050. G & S: electronic game equipment for playing video games, electronic game programs, video game software, computer game software, hand-held electronic games, game programs for hand-held electronic games, video game cartridges. FIRST USE: 19940922. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19950926
Mark Drawing Code (1) TYPED DRAWING
Serial Number 74506654
Filing Date March 28, 1994
Current Filing Basis 1A
Original Filing Basis 1B
Published for Opposition May 9, 1995
Registration Number 1953686
Registration Date January 30, 1996
Owner (REGISTRANT) Nintendo of America Inc. CORPORATION WASHINGTON 4820 - 150th Avenue N.E. Redmond WASHINGTON 98052
Assignment Recorded ASSIGNMENT RECORDED
Attorney of Record Jerald E. Nagae
Type of Mark TRADEMARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Affidavit Text SECT 15. SECT 8 (6-YR).
Live/Dead Indicator DEAD
Cancellation Date November 4, 2006

flipping_heck said:
But, New Killer Instinct is always a good thing,

No its not if they're completely changing it.

Word has it that the plasticized 2D visuals and mash-happy gameplay have been wisely bulldozed in favor of fully 3D graphics and a more refined combat system.

Means its not going to be KI, its going to be another shitty 3D fighter. Fucking hell every fighting game doesn't need to be 3D.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
mozfan12 said:
why would anyone want KI with VF 5, Soul Calibur 4 and 1, and Street Fighter 4 on the way...?
VF, SC, and SF haven't changed their fundamental gameplay in over a decade or more. It would be nice to have some more variety in the market. There is no other fighting game that plays just like Killer Instinct.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
mozfan12 said:
why would anyone want KI with VF 5, Soul Calibur 4 and 1, and Street Fighter 4 on the way...?
Fuck yes. KI is my favorite fighting series. I love it waaaaaayyyy more than that crap.

Shane has readily admitted Q-man rumors are sometimes bullshit (such as the Splatterhouse rumor being made up a few years ago as he noted on EGM Live) So they probably threw this in to fuck with all the readers who don't review message boards so don't know its bullshit. Or they hope that all the buzz surrounding a possible sequel will make Rare actually do it (which I think is hugely unlikely)

Is that image supposed to be the preemptive "hasty denial"?

I don't want to be misguided in my hate towards EGM or Rare just yet.

lupinko said:
This.

So much for EGM.

Sean said:
The Killer Instinct 3 thing was a JOKE poster that Rare hung on their walls when the press visited. The images were official artwork from the previous games, just do a Google Image search for Killer Instinct and they're among the first results... http://danielprimed.com/gaming/retro-gaming/killer-instinct-–-awesomeness-in-character-design

glacius.jpg
fullgore2.jpg

Rare just put that to fuck around with the press, and it totally worked. :lol :lol

Nice rumor, EGM.

Dont be so quick to dispell this rumor. The images that were used is most likely there for a frame of reference to the series. I'm pretty sure Rare didnt post the images of the artbook on that paper to show that it was actual work from KI3. It's probably there for reference purposes.

Kittonwy

Banned
COD5 delayed would be awesome if true, more PS3 owners can get into Resistance 2 without having to worry about having to choose between Resistance 2 and another entry in the COD franchise, good for Resistance 2 and good for PS3 owners.
Indifferent2.gif

Kayas

Neo Member
I hope this is real, I would kill for a new KI game, hell I would kill for KI 1 or 2 on the marketplace.

I always thought Killer Instinct was pretty bad, I would rather Rare work on RC Pro Am for XBLA or Blast Corps or Jet Force Gemini 2 or something new before KI.

ravien56

Linkzg said:
I always thought Killer Instinct was pretty bad, I would rather Rare work on RC Pro Am for XBLA or Blast Corps or Jet Force Gemini 2 or something new before KI.

blast corps for 360 would be amazing

Zenith

Banned
Look for a new Medal of Honor game in 2009 that's set in war-torn Afghanistan. If that's not enough shootery for you, 2K Games also seeks to revive its former budget-bin hit Spec Ops as a top-shelf next-gen offering with a new installment set in the fashionable Middle Eastern city of Dubai.

I like military shooters.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
OI! Rare, stop joking about up there in Twycross and actually fucking make KI3 please? Thanks.

Oh, and Blast Corps, make a sequel, NOW.

M3wThr33

Banned
Stop It said:
OI! Rare, stop joking about up there in Twycross and actually fucking make KI3 please? Thanks.

Oh, and Blast Corps, make a sequel, NOW.
I bet Blast Corps would become a platformer.

Kittonwy said:
COD5 delayed would be awesome if true, more PS3 owners can get into Resistance 2 without having to worry about having to choose between Resistance 2 and another entry in the COD franchise, good for Resistance 2 and good for PS3 owners.
Indifferent2.gif

I don't think PS3 owners would ever choose COD5 over Resistance 2... your comment would be more relevant between COD5 and Killzone 2 I think, if they're both due in February then it could end up being interesting for PS3 owners then.

Johnkers

I was just about to ask if Blast Corps is available on Virtual Console then I stupidly remembered the answer.

A sequel, XBLA style would be so awesome.

Gagaman

2.5D would work a treat, seeing as all the sprites in the original games were pre rendered 3D anyway. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't call it "Killer Instint 3D" though, I thought the whole slapping-3D-in-the-title fad died with the 32 bit era..

NeXuSDK

Hehe, I like how my photo has created so much stur... and I guess we now know where EGM get their rumors from ;)

Listen, the photo I took doesn't mean anything really. Rare is a office like every other and sometimes you hang things on walls for fun or other reasons. I don't see why, if Rare is working on KI3, they would hang this thing where they did.

Trust me, this does not confirm (or deny) anything...

Nolan.

NeXuSDK said:
Hehe, I like how my photo has created so much stur... and I guess we now know where EGM get their rumors from ;)

Listen, the photo I took doesn't mean anything really. Rare is a office like every other and sometimes you hang things on walls for fun or other reasons. I don't see why, if Rare is working on KI3, they would hang this thing where they did.

Trust me, this does not confirm (or deny) anything...

I think i'd prefer if they left killer instinct alone though personally.

SapientWolf said:
VF, SC, and SF haven't changed their fundamental gameplay in over a decade or more. It would be nice to have some more variety in the market. There is no other fighting game that plays just like Killer Instinct.

Except from the sounds of the rumor they're going to make it into a 3D fighter which would mean it wasn't KI.

Weenerz said:
KI in 3d ugh. Why change the formula, it will lead to disaster.

EXACTLY! I really hope if a 3rd KI is ever done it's kept in the 2D realm and not made into just another 3d fighter.

Madman

beerbelly said:
WTF does an EGM rumor about Killer Instinct have anything to do with Infamous?
The July EGM is supposed to have InFamous info. I guess people don't realize this is not the EGM in question, but rather a blurb from that.

I'm sure it's BS, but a new KI game would be a dream come true for me, I've always loved the series. I'm sure it's just tripe though.

Of course, if you had asked me a year ago if they were going to remake NES Bionic Commando with both a new 2.5D remake, and a totally new 3D game, then I would have slapped your face and told you to shut up!

Kenshiro

Definitely up for another KI game.

There aren't enough C-c-c-ombo Breaker and Ulllltra Combo's in this thread. Keep the ball moving here.

Top Bottom