• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Apple WWDC 2008 Thread (3G iPhone and...more?)

SuperPac

wwdc08.gif

Apple Worldwide Developers Conference 2008: A landmark event. In more ways than one.

When: June 9-13, 2008
Where: San Francisco, Moscone West

The important part:
Steve Jobs Keynote Speech: Monday, June 9 at 10 a.m. PST
Click here to find out when that is near you

Live event coverage:
MacRumors Live!
Engadget (Live)

Killthee said:

Banners are up:
scaled2554181096_c27e5bcc7e_o.jpg

Mysterious boxes appear at a very-busy Quanta shipping depot:

181730-iphone_03.jpg

Australian Apple resellers get mysterious "Do Not Open Until June 10th" boxes:
IMG_0497_small.jpg

What will happen? 3G iPhone? PROBABLY! .Mac revamp? LIKELY! Tablet? Err...maybe! Excitement is in the air. Here are some of the current rumors and speculation (will update thread as we approach conference-time):

iphone.gif

3G iPhone

iPhone Patent Application Surfaces: IM, Blogging App, Video Conferencing, More
3G iPhone: Thinner, Thicker, or Both?
Apple Shooting 3G iPhone Commercial at 5th Avenue Apple Store?

MacRumors said:
Thin iPhone
• $199 (8GB or 16GB), $299 (16GB or 32GB), possibly subsidized by AT&T
• 3G, GPS, 22% thinner
• Possible longer battery

However, it's also clear that there's another set of rumors circulating which are also consistent with each other. The so-called "thick iPhone" rumor started at Engadget and depicted in the XSKN case designs.

Thick iPhone
• 3G, GPS, slightly thicker
• Glossy black, rounded back
• Non-recessed headphone jack, additional sensor?

If you add in recent whispers of high end pricing of the 16GB ($499) and 32GB ($699) models, this introduces the possibility that these rumors together could represent a range of iPhone models.

Both Thick and Thin?
• $399 (8GB), $499 (16GB), $699 (32GB) retail prices
• Possible $200 subsidy bringing prices to $199 (8GB), $299 (16GB), $499 (32GB)
• 3GB, GPS, ? Video Conferencing
• Low capacity models thinner, high capacity models thicker

Mysterious Apple Product Arrives in North America. Could it be the iPhone?
GPS coming to 3G iPhone?
$200 Low-End iPhone at WWDC?

dotmac.gif

.Mac service changed to Me.com/MobileMe

.Mac and Me rumors: TUAW inside look at Apple's next-gen service

Apple's .Mac Service to be Renamed, Revamped? (Mobile Me?)

- New domain name
- Windows syncing
- Push email to iPhone
- Over-the-air syncing of contacts, calendars, email

Tablet?
3G iPhone in May, Another Device at WWDC?

"there have been rumors that Apple was developing a mini-tablet multitouch device for launch in 2008. This PDA-like device would reportedly have a higher screen resolution (720x480) and be about 1.5x the size of the existing iPhone."

OS 10.6?
Rumor: Mac OS X 10.6 to debut at WWDC 08?

the new 3G iphone will be mine, my girlfriends, and my moms. and then i'll have a slightly scratched 2.5G iphone sitting on my shelf. i just hope the launch date is before june 30th, as i'm going on a 3 week trip and don't want to be getting a new phone while away

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
WWDC and my GAF anniversary on the same day?

:O

SuperPac

Fireblend said:
I want a 80GB+ iPod touch. Please?

Highly doubt they'll do any kind of updating of the iPod Touch. The iPod updates usually come around September-October, after the Back to School promotion Apple just started is over.

ckohler

It's a safe bet that the iPhone/iPod Touch 2.0 software update to allow native 3rd party apps will be available the same day. Should be a good Stevenote.

yayaba

Onix said:
Anyone know if there are apps for the iPhone to 'tether' it as a modem?

You'd be better off buying a secondary phone and swapping the SIM card when you want to tether. At least that's what I do.

Should be a great keynote. If the new iPhone firmware hits, I'll be very happy. Beyond that, everything will be icing. I'm looking forward to finally seeing what the 3G iPhone has in store for us beyond just 3G.

I'm sure there will be a surprise or two thrown in as well. Looking forward to Monday.

bionic77

Onix said:
Anyone know if there are apps for the iPhone to 'tether' it as a modem?
This also depends on your carrier. You have to pay ATT extra for this "feature" and if they catch you tethering your phone you are going to pay out of the ass.

bionic77 said:
This also depends on your carrier. You have to pay ATT extra for this "feature" and if they catch you tethering your phone you are going to pay out of the ass.

And until you can tether at 3G speeds, what's the point?

djkimothy said:
What are the chances of new hardware that's not iPod related?

Slim. You may see an upgrade the Pro line, but I doubt anything else. And honestly, the iPod's aren't going to see an upgrade here either. This is all about the iPhone and possibly the Pro line of desktops.

aparisi2274

wwdc08.gif

OMG!!!! Look at the bridge... One end is Thin... the other end is Thick!!!!

2 models of 3G iPhone Confirmed!!!!! :D :D :D :D

Heheheheh... I just really hope they show the new iPhone!

LCfiner

Nice OP. Yeah, I think the new phone hardware is a given. I'm hoping for GPS (in addition to 3G), as the apps that could come from that would be pretty cool.

Aside from that, I assume there'll be lots of talk of the new iphone 2.0 software, the rebranded .mac service (about time for some change to .mac), maybe new mac pros.

I don't expect updates to anything else. although if a shiny new case for the MBP were announced at the end, that would be cool. although i think apple would introduce that later in the fall.

SuperPac

AT&T's 3G network is getting faster...

AT&T Press Release said:
AT&T Reports 3G Wireless Download Speeds of up to 1.7 Mbps for LaptopConnect Customers - a 20+ Percent Increase

Higher 3G Network Speeds Benefit Growing Number of Workers and Consumers Who Want On-the-Go Internet Connectivity

San Antonio, Texas, June 4, 2008

How do you make a blazing-fast 3G (third-generation) mobile broadband network even better? You make it faster. AT&T Inc. (NYSE:T) today announced a more than 20 percent increase to the top end of the company's typical 3G network downlink speed range and a 50 percent increase to the top end of the typical uplink speed range for wireless laptop card customers¹. The upgrades are results of recent network enhancements, including the deployment of High Speed Uplink Packet Access (HSUPA) technology across all existing 3G markets before the end of June.

AT&T's 3G mobile broadband network is available in more than 275 major U.S. metropolitan areas. Later this month, AT&T will become the first U.S. carrier to have fully deployed High Speed Packet Access (HSPA) technology across its entire 3G network. By year-end, the company plans to offer 3G service in nearly 350 major metropolitan U.S. areas.

The new typical wireless broadband speeds for LaptopConnect customers¹:

* Downlink — Between 700 Kbps (kilobits per second) and 1.7 Mbps (megabits per second), formerly 600 Kbps to 1.4 Mbps
* Uplink — Between 500 Kbps and 1.2 Mbps, formerly 500 to 800 Kbps

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
I don't want no fat iPhone and skinny one with less features. BAH!

SuperPac said:
AT&T's 3G network is getting faster...

They've already announced a way to make it even faster and that they'll be rolling it out in 2009 with a software upgrade to their network. This is on top of the fact that AT&T has been rated to have the highest speed 3G network already.

Yixian

Banned
The new iPhone is day 1 for me if the upgrade deals are as good as rumored (€50 if you trade in your old one).

Please please pleassssee new MBPs with new case design, will buy as soon as I get my student overdraft.

I'm hoping .mac is both better and cheaper, I'm in the market for hosting and iDisk's integration is sweet.

Futureman

The OS X 10.6 rumors are weird. They say it will only be a "stability and security" release, no new major features. Why would anyone buy that? 10.5.3 for me right now is as stable and secure as I can imagine.

Yixian

Banned
Futureman said:
The OS X 10.6 rumors are weird. They say it will only be a "stability and security" release, no new major features. Why would anyone buy that? 10.5.3 for me right now is as stable and secure as I can imagine.

Lmao, yeah that's true, I haven't had a crash in about 4 months, and I don't think I've even powered my computer off in just as long.

SuperPac

Yixian said:
The new iPhone is day 1 for me if the upgrade deals are as good as rumored (€50 if you trade in your old one).

Please please pleassssee new MBPs with new case design, will buy as soon as I get my student overdraft.

I'm hoping .mac is both better and cheaper, I'm in the market for hosting and iDisk's integration is sweet.

I'm looking forward to the push email to iPhone with .Mac (or .Me, whatever it is). I just hope/wish they allow you to apply Mail.app's spam filter rules to the iPhone...'cuz my .mac account now gets a lot of marketing emails that I label in Mail as spam but they all come through to my iPhone. Would be nice also to be able to use .Mac to set up a wordpress (or reasonable facsimile) blog that could be updated over the web.

Futureman said:

That's true, though they also say 10.6 ditches PowerPC for good and is Intel-only. I can't imagine that it won't have *any* new features. It's gotta have *something*. Otherwise yeah, why bother paying the $129 Apple usually charges for major OS updates?

BTMash

Even though I know its very unlikely, I'm hoping for a mbp update as well. I want to buy one (and am anxious to buy one asap) but am afraid if there is a complete redesign in the coming months.

BTMash said:
Even though I know its very unlikely, I'm hoping for a mbp update as well. I want to buy one (and am anxious to buy one asap) but am afraid if there is a complete redesign in the coming months.

MacBook Pro was just updated in February. You won't see an update until the Fall at the earliest I'm guessing. Either bite the bullet and get one, or don't sweat the waiting. There is no guarantee that when it does get upgraded later in the year that the case will be part of the re-design.

woxel1

SuperPac said:
IThat's true, though they also say 10.6 ditches PowerPC for good and is Intel-only. I can't imagine that it won't have *any* new features. It's gotta have *something*. Otherwise yeah, why bother paying the $129 Apple usually charges for major OS updates?
Didn't Steve say that they were going to slow down OS X releases? This rumor is breaking my brain!

I'm getting the iPhone if it comes in at $299 for 32gb, but I'm not exactly optimistic about that happening. I'm looking forward to reading about the conference announcements.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I will pay basically any price for a 32GB model if AT&T follows through on that $200 subsidy with a two-year contract. My T-Mobile contract ends in August, and they have absolutely TERRIBLE upgrade options, so I figure I might as well upgrade to an iPhone that can hold all the music I currently have on my 30GB iPod.

Matix

This will be the breaker point for me, in deciding between a I-Phone, or one of its competitors (such as upcoming Sprint Instinct). Is anyone else feeling this way?!

SuperPac

prodystopian said:
I'm getting the iPhone if it comes in at $299 for 32gb, but I'm not exactly optimistic about that happening. I'm looking forward to reading about the conference announcements.

Doubtful when a 32GB iPod Touch is $499. Even a subsidized 32GB iPhone probably wouldn't approach $299.

Matix said:
This will be the breaker point for me, in deciding between a I-Phone, or one of its competitors (such as upcoming Sprint Instinct). Is anyone else feeling this way?!

What part is the breaker point? I haven't read any reviews of the Instinct yet but I didn't particularly care for Sprint's service when I had them.

SuperPac said:
Doubtful when a 32GB iPod Touch is $499. Even a subsidized 32GB iPhone probably wouldn't approach $299.

Good call. I saw extreme rumors mentioning it was possible, but I couldn't imagine it.

Does anyone think GPS won't cost extra $/month? Apple has a crazy deal going on (getting a piece of every contract), but it seems like every phone on American networks has GPS capability, but you have to pay the provider ~$10/month to use it. Anyone think Apple can buck that trend?

bionic77

prodystopian said:
Good call. I saw extreme rumors mentioning it was possible, but I couldn't imagine it.

Does anyone think GPS won't cost extra $/month? Apple has a crazy deal going on (getting a piece of every contract), but it seems like every phone on American networks has GPS capability, but you have to pay the provider ~$10/month to use it. Anyone think Apple can buck that trend?
GPS on any device is free. The providers are probably charging you a fee to access their maps. Unless Apple provides maps for free (not happening) or to buy through download I am sure AT&T will charge to use their maps as well.

Yixian said:
Nuh uh! Montevina.

Which recently was delayed until Fall right?

Matix said:

You do realize that the Instinct REQUIRES a $70 data plan from Sprint right? I also love how they keep saying it's faster than the iPhone in the ads for it, but it's not out until June 20th, which means that technically they're right, but if Apple drops the 3G iPhone next week, they'd better be ready to revise that commercial quickly. :lol

Just looked at some pics of the Sprint Instinct, which I hadn't seen before. Wow, is there anyone left now who ISN'T making a blatant iPhone clone? I think more than any product since the original Mac OS, iPhone's legion of pale imitators demonstrates just how much everyone copies Apple... they really do lead the way.

Matix

SuperPac said:
What part is the breaker point? I haven't read any reviews of the Instinct yet but I didn't particularly care for Sprint's service when I had them.

From what I've learned, the Instinct offers everything the current I-Phone has + more (EV-DO, GPS, Higher-res/Fully Featured Camera, Live Broadcasts, etc..). I'm willing to deal with Sprint, if Apple can't get their shit straight this time around.

Evlar

Banned
bionic77 said:
GPS on any device is free. The providers are probably charging you a fee to access their maps. Unless Apple provides maps for free (not happening) or to buy through download I am sure AT&T will charge to use their maps as well.
Don't know why anyone really needs GPS on the iPhone. Just use Maps + the 'Current Location' triangulation feature if you really need to know your position. And it is free.

Yixian

Banned
Kung Fu Jedi said:
Which recently was delayed until Fall right?

Centrino III was delayed until July 17th, the actual Montevina chip is on course for June, and Apple gets slightly customised version early anyway.

Here's hoping .mac stops sucking hard. However, those names... Me.com and MobileMe both sound like something Microsoft would conjure up. They're just so awful and boring sounding. They should keep the .mac name and just totally relaunch it. Does anybody really want an email address like steve.jobs@me.com? UGH.

Evlar said:
Don't know why anyone really needs GPS on the iPhone. Just use Maps + the 'Current Location' triangulation feature if you really need to know your position. And it is free.

This only works well in cities, where there are lots of WiFi signals to pull location data from. I live in a small city (Tallahassee, FL) and the triangulation feature is worthless. It'll give me like a 5-10 mile radius. Not really helpful when I'm trying to get directions.

Evlar said:

I don't want to keep looking at the phone while I'm driving. I'd like it to talk to me, but then maybe I should just be buying a separate GPS device.

bionic77

Matix said:
From what I've learned, the Instinct offers everything the current I-Phone has + more (EV-DO, GPS, Higher-res/Fully Featured Camera, Live Broadcasts, etc..). I'm willing to deal with Sprint, if Apple can't get their shit straight this time around.
I could be wrong, but I think Sprint has a larger coverage area for high speed internet. Of course they definitely don't have as good of coverage as AT&T for general phone reception.

And the iPhone has a really slick OS and the best mobile browser currently available. That is something the Instinct doesn't have, though to be fair they may have some other things on the software side that the iPhone doesn't offer either.

bionic77 said:
I could be wrong, but I think Sprint has a larger coverage area for high speed internet. Of course they definitely don't have as good of coverage as AT&T for general phone reception.

And the iPhone has a really slick OS and the best mobile browser currently available. That is something the Instinct doesn't have, though to be fair they may have some other things on the software side that the iPhone doesn't offer either.

Of course the promise of the App Store means developers could add missing features to the iPhone to keep up. Also, if the OS X development scene is any indication (which it should be), there are going to be some seriously amazing iPhone apps.

LCfiner

Matix said:

But the interface might suck on the Instinct. Most people who don't own an iPhone always dismiss the UI...

Anyway, hardware feature wise... wait till next Monday before buying anything. Apple is most likely to address some, if not all, of those hardware issues you mentioned.

Futureman

Is it not possible to make GPS work with Google Maps? Why should we pay these companies a monthly fee for their maps if Google provides a free mapping service?

yayaba

StrikerObi said:
Of course the promise of the App Store means developers could add missing features to the iPhone to keep up. Also, if the OS X development scene is any indication (which it should be), there are going to be some seriously amazing iPhone apps.

Missing features within the realm of what Apple allows. I don't think they'll allow for some of the crazier mods people have done (adding a Today page to the iPhone lock screen for instance)

Top Bottom