• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Apple WWDC 2008 Thread (3G iPhone and...more?)

yayaba

Futureman said:
Is it not possible to make GPS work with Google Maps? Why should we pay these companies a monthly fee for their maps if Google provides a free mapping service?

That's what I hope but at the same time, what happens when you go out of an area w/o cell coverage? One of the benefits of having a stand alone unit is that the maps are bundled within the unit already.

Then again I rarely drive out of cell territory but it happens from time to time.

Moray

An Intel Atom-powered mini-tablet from Apple would be my next computer. I'm tired of big, bulky, two-hour-battery-life laptops.

Futureman

yayaba said:
That's what I hope but at the same time, what happens when you go out of an area w/o cell coverage? One of the benefits of having a stand alone unit is that the maps are bundled within the unit already.

Then again I rarely drive out of cell territory but it happens from time to time.

So the monthly fees from these mapping companies is that they provide monthly updates to road changes/construction sites? How do you update the maps on a GPS device? I'm a GPS noob here.

Hopefully they start offering the iPhone without the data plan. I can live with being tethered to Wi-Fi if it'll allow me to slip one of these into my family's plan without much change in cost.

Evlar

Banned
Futureman said:
So the monthly fees from these mapping companies is that they provide monthly updates to road changes/construction sites? How do you update the maps on a GPS device? I'm a GPS noob here.
Stand-alone units are usually updated via a USB port (download the update on PC, upload it to a flash drive, plug it in to your GPS) or disc drive (download on PC, burn a disc, insert disc into GPS).

LCfiner

More 10.6 info from ars technica. more rumors (but they have good sources) on 10.6 code named snow leopard (REALLY sounds like a service pack type update based on that code name). it's going to focus on speed, stability, and be out relatively soon and be intel only...

Apple better not be thinking of charging 130 for this kind of update.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
I usually err to the side of caution with predicting these things, then I'm pleasantly surprised when something cool is announced. Anyway, I PREDICT:

criswellpredicts.jpg

.Mac overhaul, please God.
10.6 hints, but it's too soon for a reveal. Probably some Core services blather.
3G iPhone a certainty, I'll bet MY LIFE on it.
New iWork
Lots and lots and lots of iPhone Dev talk. In fact that'll probably be 65% of the keynote.
Macbook/Pro redesign OR Blu-Ray BTO option or both "Available.... September" (boo)
Isn't it time for new Cinema Displays?

Pippin 2

LCfiner

Jill Sandwich said:
Isn't it time for new Cinema Displays?

heh, it's been time for new cinema displays for 2 years now :)

I agree that iPhone dev/ 2.0 FW talk will be the bulk of the keynote.

djkimothy

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Slim. You may see an upgrade the Pro line, but I doubt anything else. And honestly, the iPod's aren't going to see an upgrade here either. This is all about the iPhone and possibly the Pro line of desktops.

Good, that's what I was getting at. A refresh for the Pro Desktop line.

onegoodlogan said:
Hopefully they start offering the iPhone without the data plan. I can live with being tethered to Wi-Fi if it'll allow me to slip one of these into my family's plan without much change in cost.

You can buy an iPhone and not get a data plan. Buy it, activate it, then tell AT&T to kill the data plan. It's a $20 separate item and it can be turned off, although why you would want to would be beyond me. The iPhone without data is an iPod Touch. Might as well go with a cheaper phone and a Touch with more capacity.

SuperPac

STORY HERE

The Unofficial Apple Weblog said:
iPhone 2.0 firmware details and information on second generation iPhone

We've all heard the rumors that the iPhone 2.0 firmware would be out at WWDC 08, but we have received some information that begs to differ. According to the information that we have, it will be released late June/early July. This is because of Apple's deal with the cell carriers -- currently, Apple has to give the cell carriers a "first look" at the new firmware before it can ship; normally this takes around 1-2 weeks.

According to our sources, the 2.0 firmware went gold master this week, which means it will be in the hands of the cell carriers for 1-2 weeks. If Apple doesn't have to fix anything in the firmware, then it will be released to the public -- otherwise, they will have to fix the problems and start the process over again.

TUAW has also learned that pictures of the iPhone 2 which were posted on Engadget are, in fact, real. The second generation iPhone will include 3G and GPS functionality and will come in a glossy-black case. We have yet to learn any details on pricing.

black-3g-iphone-possible.jpg

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Futureman said:
The OS X 10.6 rumors are weird. They say it will only be a "stability and security" release, no new major features. Why would anyone buy that? 10.5.3 for me right now is as stable and secure as I can imagine.

If you think that there are not a ton of things that could be improved in Leopard you're wrong. There is always room for enhancements and polish.

Phoenix

Kung Fu Jedi said:
You can buy an iPhone and not get a data plan. Buy it, activate it, then tell AT&T to kill the data plan. It's a $20 separate item and it can be turned off, although why you would want to would be beyond me. The iPhone without data is an iPod Touch. Might as well go with a cheaper phone and a Touch with more capacity.

You will have to call several times for this though. The AT&T weenies are trained to believe that you can't have an iPhone without a data plan.

Phoenix

LCfiner said:
heh, it's been time for new cinema displays for 2 years now :)

I agree that iPhone dev/ 2.0 FW talk will be the bulk of the keynote.

The current Cinema displays are still quite excellent. I have one of the monster 30" ones in my office. Good lord that screen is awesome beyond words. Its almost like virtual reality because the screen consumes your visual field.

On the talk, I don't think that will be the bulk of the keynote.

mollipen

shantyman said:
If you think that there is not a ton that could be improved in Leopard you're wrong. Thaere is always room for enhancements and polish.

You aren't kidding. SO MANY areas of OSX going ignored by Apple and in desperate need of updates / reworking.

Phoenix

Futureman said:
Is it not possible to make GPS work with Google Maps? Why should we pay these companies a monthly fee for their maps if Google provides a free mapping service?

Because strangely enough, out of all the companies Google has purchased they haven't purchased NAVTEQ who owns the rights to their maps as well as Yahoo and MSN's maps. NAVTEQ makes a shitload of money selling map and GIS data to the broader market. As such you can't do routing and may other things on the Google services (or anyone elses) becaue they would be a violation of the TOS. There have been some interesting developments of late which will make this less of an issue, but at the moment in order for this to happen - NAVTEQ would have to stop making a royalty for the shitload of GPS units/services that they are already getting money for.

Nokia solved this problem by going out and buying TeleAtlas (sp) so now they own a data source and embed mapping software in their phones. I would expect that any GPS service coming from Apple will be more tied to Location Based Services and Landmarks (har har, the guys who did the poster for WWDC were sooooooooo clever) as opposed to routing unless Apple is paying a per device royalty for it.

B!TCH

how are you, B!TCH? How is your day going, B!ITCH?
Nice. Looks like I'll be getting a new iPhone in September. Hopefully the pricing isn't retarded. The iPhone should not cost less than $300 but not more than $500.

BTW, did anyone else notice that you can't buy an iPhone from the Apple Store (Online) right now or is it just me?

Phoenix

shidoshi said:
You aren't kidding. SO MANY areas of OSX going ignored by Apple and in desperate need of updates / reworking.

XCode... cough.... ZFS .... cough cough... Core Data.... OpenGL.... Java.... etc

B!TCH said:
Nice. Looks like I'll be getting a new iPhone in September. Hopefully the pricing isn't retarded. The iPhone should not cost less than $300 but not more than $500.

BTW, did anyone else notice that you can't buy an iPhone from the Apple Store (Online) right now or is it just me?

It's been like that for several weeks.

Kung Fu Jedi said:
To carry one device? 8 GB is plenty of room for me on a daily basis.

Phoenix

yayaba said:

And its not just the maps. There are feature datasets on the standalone units which keep track of all sorts of data. It is somewhat prohibitive data wise to continuously suck that data down continuously each and every day. You can cache normally traversed cities and routes, but you won't be able to have a full dataset.

Batongen

Banned
Yep, 3G iphone let me show you them =). I have an Ipod touch and as soon as apple release the 3G iphone I will be there. Hopefully, it can be released before July in Sweden as I have a trip at the beginning of July.

SuperPac said:

I really hope this doesn't apply for the iPod Touch.

I want my apps on monday, DAMMIT!

--

Also why is that every major Apple event people keep expecting an Apple tablet? Here's a newsflash: tablets are useless to anyone not a doctor or package deliverer.

The ipod touch/iphone is Apple's "tablet," ie actually useful for average consumers to use and carry around. They will never make one in the Microsoft style.

SuperPac

AndersTheSwede said:
I really hope this doesn't apply for the iPod Touch.

I want my apps on monday, DAMMIT!

--

Also why is that every major Apple event people keep expecting an Apple tablet? Here's a newsflash: tablets are useless to anyone not a doctor or package deliverer.

The ipod touch/iphone is Apple's "tablet," ie actually useful for average consumers to use and carry around. They will never make one in the Microsoft style.

Well the Touch did get the iTunes Wifi store earlier than the iPhone did, didn't it? (Or at least people who bought one right away had it before the software was available as a download for iPhone customers.) By a couple weeks or something like that if I'm not mistaken.

I'd actually kinda like a paperback-sized portable computer. Kindle/eBook size. I dunno what I'd use it for but I'm sure I'd find something. ;)

LCfiner

SuperPac said:
I'd actually kinda like a paperback-sized portable computer. Kindle/eBook size. I dunno what I'd use it for but I'm sure I'd find something. ;)

:lol :lol ...and this is why Apple's not releasing a tablet. Hey, I feel the same way as you. it would cool to play with and watch movies on it, but it's just not as practical as a pocket device such as the iphone or a normal laptop for heavy duty work. it's an in-between device.

A tablet would be the coolest apple gadget that I'd never buy

And those 10.6 rumors keep picking up steam. Gruber at Daring Fireball is now saying that a seed is going to be given out at WWDC. that would be fast. I wasn't expecting any new OS news till next year.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I just got an iPhone yesterday from the $250 deal AT&T had.

Got it working with T-Mobile and have internet with the 5.99 T-Zones plan.
I love this device.

If I can sell for a good price I wouldn't mind upgrading so soon to the 3G version.
So long as it can be jailbroken for the cool extra apps.

Evlar

Banned
For a while OSX was being updated annually. Pushing out a new version this fast isn't really that surprising. If it has no significant feature upgrades other than killing PowerPC support and Carbon... that would be surprising.

Evlar said:
For a while OSX was being updated annually. Pushing out a new version this fast isn't really that surprising. If it has no significant feature upgrades other than killing PowerPC support and Carbon... that would be surprising.

Hopefully it's the same price as 10.1: Free

It seems like this will be more of an interface unification update (if Daringfireball's sources are correct) which will make a lot of purists happy.

twinturbo2 said:
Will the new iPhone have flash for the camera?

Why do people continue to ask questions like this when the device HASN'T EVEN BEEN OFFICIALLY ANNOUNCED YET? We don't know any more than the rumor sites at this point, so asking about price, features (beyond 3G), size, etc. is just stupid. Wait until next Monday. We'll know a lot more then.

onegoodlogan said:
To carry one device? 8 GB is plenty of room for me on a daily basis.

I can see that I suppose. It's just hard to think about owning an iPhone and not having the data plan for it. They work so well together.

yayaba

-jinx- said:
Hopefully not, since camera phone flashes are utterly useless.

The Xenon flashes help somewhat but the general optics of camera phones just aren't up to snuff so it doesn't really matter that much anyway.

SuperPac

Oh snap.

http://www.macrumors.com/2008/06/04...faces-im-blogging-app-video-conferencing-mor/

Mac Rumors said:
iPhone Patent Application Surfaces: IM, Blogging App, Video Conferencing, More

The US Patent and Trademark Office has recently published an extensive patent application, seemingly for features related to the 3G iPhone and software version 2.0, both now expected to be released next Monday.

The device supports a variety of applications, such as one or more of the following: a telephone application, a video conferencing application, an e-mail application, an instant messaging application, a blogging application, a photo management application, a digital camera application, a digital video camera application, a web browsing application, a digital music player application, and/or a digital video player application.

200216-iphonepatent1_300.png

Also detailed in the application is support for inline media, including Flash and Windows Media. Among the 25 inventors listed is Apple CEO Steve Jobs.

Juice

My prediction (well, boiling down of rumors) of what we'll see iPhone-wise from the iPhone thread:

Juice said:
I think this all clicked for me after reading *this* rumor.

Here's what I think we're going to see. TWO iPhone lines with two capacities each. With these bullets:

All new iPhones:
- 3G
- Improved battery
- No more chrome rim, something milder/sleeker
- Glossy back that prevents scratching

1. iPhone:
- 20% slimmer
- A wee bit shorter (cutting dead space, same screen size)

8GB: $399 ($199 after $200 subsidy)
16GB: $499 ($299 after $200 subsidy)

2. iPhone Phat (or some other sufficient suffix):
- 10% thicker, matching the slightly bulkier molds going around
- Front-facing camera for video chat
- 5MP camera + Video recording + YouTube uploads
- GPS + turn by turn

16GB: $599 ($399 after $200 subsidy)
32GB: $699 ($499 after $200 subsidy)

-----

Obviously, the stock iPhone would be as the Nano was for the original iPod and really push the total iPhone count through the roof. The iPhone Phat will do a great job of keeping a feature and "Jesusphone" advantage over the competition

Juice

If 10.6 is out next January (hard to believe), and it's focus is on just fixing and enhancing Leopard and killing Carbon's UI (luminosity get? Resolutin independence?) I have to imagine it'd be a free or cheap update.

SuperPac

Phoenix said:
Patent office fucks 'em again :)

Oh yeah. :) Maybe the FCC'll be next. Would make a lot of sense if the blogging app tied into "Mobile Me" -- I mean I don't generally use my iPhone to write huge blog entries or anything like that but I'm curious to see how it would all integrate. GPS + Photo + Blog entry... I mean that could work out real well. People love Twittering already, you figure this'd be an extension of that.

And I'll be very happy to have an Instant Messaging client on the iPhone. That's one of my big wants.

Phoenix

SuperPac said:
Oh yeah. :) Maybe the FCC'll be next. Would make a lot of sense if the blogging app tied into "Mobile Me" -- I mean I don't generally use my iPhone to write huge blog entries or anything like that but I'm curious to see how it would all integrate. GPS + Photo + Blog entry... I mean that could work out real well. People love Twittering already, you figure this'd be an extension of that.

And I'll be very happy to have an Instant Messaging client on the iPhone. That's one of my big wants.

3 words - Location Based Services....

Top Bottom