• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: WWE Wrestlemania 21 Xbox blowout (videos)

DMczaf

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/578/578065p1.html

Videos

http://media.xbox.ign.com/media/681/681471/vids_1.html

WM21's control scheme features two reversal buttons, two grappling buttons to allow for greater control over your Superstar's moves. To add a further touch of control, each grappling button (A and B) has two functions. Tapping the A button performs a quick grapple and holding A performs a strong grapple. The quick grapple can be very useful to snatch a wrestler in motion or to beat a quick wrestler to the punch. Tap B for a specialty grapple or hold for a submission grapple. When a wrestler's in submission, a meter appears above their name. At that point it's time for the old button mash to free yourself from the hold unless you want to tap out like a mama's boy.

wwe-wrestlemania-21-20050107054810330.jpg

As a match wears on, wrestlings appear sweatier, with successful attack often resulting in a spray of sweat. Should you start pounding your opponent, you can ever get some blood splatter. While blood won't leave its mark on the mat, truly damage opponents will have their face and chest spattered red. WM21 features body-specific damage, so that targeting the face can result in blood a little earlier. Don't expect buckets of the stuff to be pouring off a Superstar's pretty face. This isn't Mortal Kombat. As can be seen in IGN's new screenshots, blood can provide a powerful image. Just imagine what a cage match can turn into with the right amount of rage.

wwe-wrestlemania-21-20050107054812204.jpg

* Single - Normal, Cage Match, Hell in a Cell, Table Match, TLC, Ladder Match
* Bra & Panty
* Tag - 2-on-2 TAG, Tornado Tag, Cage Match, Hell in a Cell, Table Match, TLC, Ladder Match
* Handicap - 1-on-2, 1-on-2 Tag, 1-on-3, 1-on-3 Tag
* Triple Threat - Normal, Cage Match, Hell in a Cell, Table Match, TLC, Ladder Match
* Fatal 4-Way - Normal, Cage Match, Hell in a Cell, Table Match, TLC, Ladder Match
* Last Man Standing
* Battle Royale
* Royal Rumble

Of course WrestleMania 21 also features four-player System Link and Xbox Live play. Every match type and arena is expected to be playable online. The true incentive for online play is the Create-A-Belt feature (which may be changed to "Create-A-Championship). Players create a championship belt and then take it only. Though the CAB is still being implemented into the Alpha build, a high level of customization is promised. New items for your belt can be purchased in the Shopzone so that the more you play and the better you perform, the more elaborate the decorations you can place on your belt.

Take your belt online an put it up for grabs. That's right, other gamers across the country battle for your belt. Imagine busting your ass to make the sweetest belt anyone's ever seen, only to lose it to someone from Maine. Humiliation and triumph are certain to mark WrestleMania 21 as one of the more unique Xbox Live games.

Look for Xbox Live hands-on in February and expect more in-depth details on the different match types throughout the next two months.

wwe-wrestlemania-21-20050107054801814.jpg

wwe-wrestlemania-21-20050107054803033.jpg

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
The videos look really nice, and for the haters who will UNDOUBTEDLY come in the topic... remember this is an alpha version

Posted this in the other topic..

Looks pretty bad so far. Commentating is shitty as always, and the effects during the finisher were horrible.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Posted in other topic as well

OMG, this is an ALPHA version and people are already bitching. The game looks great and while I wasn't fond of the finisher effect it was still very good for an alpha

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
No elimination chamber :(

Edit: I thought it looked pretty damn good.. my only complaint is the Sound Effects.. and Orton doing the figure 4... I guess they wanted to give him a submission move, which he SHOULD have anyway.

Plus, the peepleation is pleased at the unprettier.

LakeEarth

I agree with Bacon. I hope that's a placeholder. During the finisher... it zooms in... slows down...stops.... everything turns red to a second, and then everything goes back to normal as the move ends. Even Smackdowns "SMACKDOWN LOGO IN YOUR FACE OBSCURING THE MOVE YOU SHOULD BE SEEING" was better.

Raw64life

8 years of shitty commentary in WWF games and they still haven't realized that it's a waste of time and money, it sucks, and nobody cares about it. What they should do is spend all that time they have JR and Lawler in the sound booth recording multiple detailed commentaries for each wrestler during their entrances and then just have the commentary fade out once the match starts.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Im betting the slow-mo effect is there so that you can counter out of it.

One thing I really hope this game does right is make the finishing moves finishing moves. I mean, from time to time in a PPV match someone will land their finisher and still have someone kick out... but on the old Raw games I could nail 5 Rock bottoms in a row and still have them kick out.. and I wasnt even fighting taker.

My gripes from this video..

some of the transition animation is weak... and it looks really bad because the actual animation looks good.

Sound effects are crap.. it sounds like they are beating on a hollow drum not a human body.

commentary looks iffy... I mean, compared to the Raw games where there was fucking NOTHING but a 15 second loop of shitty music this will be an improvement.. of course, shitty commentary from the King may add to the realism, who knows.

The game still looks like it needs some polish, but it allready looks MUCH better than the old Raw games.

hobart

Listen... I... whew... I just...

..ok..

I just don't want ANYONE from Maine taking shit from me... ok?

There.. all better.

Top Bottom