• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the best looking PS3 game so far?

A friend of mine and I were arguing, he thinks MGS 4 is the new graphics king, I still think Uncharted is way better looking than anything on consoles, and overall second to none but Crysis.

itxaka

Defeatist
In before Kittonwy: Uncharted RAWR Annoying-icon

I don´t know, MSG4 is still on the mail :( But probably uncharted, GT5 looks incredible but uncharted environments are incredible.

Grayman

MGS4 never really wowed me. It had good graphics but not omg graphics. Maybe the bright colour of uncharted spoiled me.

fernoca

On one hand Uncharted is more.."colorful"..more green, blue..
On the other hand, Metal Gear Solid 4 has..more textures, more open places, more/bigger enemies..

So it's a tie.. :p

Grayman

I'd actually agree with the silly tag "If you told me MGS4 was running on the ps2 i'd believe it". It looks a lot like MGS3 to me. It has some great draw distances and nicely detailed textures though.

AAK

Textures

uch7.jpg

IMG_2133.jpg

Animations

unchartedenvironments.gif

unchartedenvironments2.gif

udfdodge.gif

Nothing has beaten that except Resident Evil 5, but that isn't out yet.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Really, the only contenders are Metal Gear Solid 4, Uncharted and possibly GT5:p (for those who count racing games). I personally think Uncharted is technically superior. It has amazing textures, shaders and lighting and is technically very impressive. Metal Gear Solid 4 is technically inferior without a doubt, but the presentation is second to none and I personally prefer the art style to Uncharted.

The cars in GT5:p look amazing, but there isn't much else going on there so I don't know if it is a valid comparison. I personally think you are asking this question way too early. At least wait for Resistance 2, Killzone 2, Final Fantasy XIII and other heavy-hitters to come out before declaring a graphics king.

edit: there are some really impressive multiplatform games too, such as Assassin's Creed, but I don't think those really count in this discussion.

avaya

The people saying MGS4 has better graphics than Dude Raider are delusional. I fucking love MGS4 but Uncharted simply destroys it.

Uncharted and GT5P by a long long way.

Grayman

avaya said:
The people saying MGS4 has better graphics than Dude Raider are delusional. I fucking love MGS4 but Uncharted simply destroys it.

Uncharted and GT5P by a long long way.
I am hoping someone can post an off screen capture of MGS4 looking as good as uncharted.

Do the wrinkles on snakes face even move?

Atomspike

replayy said:
They both look awesome (MGS4 & Uncharted), Assassins Creed has really nice graphics too.
Assassin's Creed runs like shit , clipping , awful tearing , horrible framerate , slowdowns etc...

Jigsaw

Banned
AAK said:
Textures

Animations

Nothing has beaten that except Resident Evil 5, but that isn't out yet.

re5 textures looks like shit compared to uncharteds

uncharted may have the best textures on the planet but this doesnt make it the best looking game,on the other hand you have ultralinear levels (sometimes its like a railshooter) and only 4-5 enemies on screen

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'

Durante

The way people like to compare graphics on the internet, by the end of this generation the "best looking" "game" will be 1 character in a 4*4 meter room. But it will be a damn impressive character in a damn impressive room.

Clinton514

Durante said:
The way people like to compare graphics on the internet, by the end of this generation the "best looking" "game" will be 1 character in a 4*4 meter room. But it will be a damn impressive character in a damn impressive room.
I don't understand. Explain.

Grayman

Jigsaw said:
re5 textures looks like shit compared to uncharteds

uncharted may have the best textures on the planet but this doesnt make it the best looking game,on the other hand you have ultralinear levels (sometimes its like a railshooter) and only 4-5 enemies on screen
Uncharted has a few areas with more than five on screen if I remember right. The underground maze and monastery court yard were not rail shooter levels.

Durante

Clinton514 said:
I don't understand. Explain.
I'm bitching about the fact that people compare textures/models/effects on screenshots/short sequences without taking into account the larger context of the game. There will obviously be a difference in model quality between a game that shows 3 characters on screen (or even in one scene) and one that shows 30. If you then take a screenshot of each of these games that only shows one of them and declare the former superior it will lead to what I described.

Ephemeris

Either Uncharted on GT5:p. As displayed above, Uncharted looks very very nice, but GT5:p screens have fooled people before on the topic of realism.

I love MGS4 but I have to remain realistic here. :/ It's not like the OP asked "Which is the best PS3 game so far?"

Pimpwerx

Uncharted is a visual feast. MGS4 has some amazing visuals so far. I'm only in the beginning of the game, but there have been some awesome sequences. But nothing like the jeep chase, or some of the courtyard scenes in Uncharted. Those were just "oh shit" moments one after the other. I'll give MGS4 a chance though. If the opening of the game (gecko surprise) alone has such awesome presentation, then I can't wait for later in the game. PEACE.

Top Bottom