• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trapped a possum in a cage. What to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SUPREME1

Banned
Actually this happened two nights ago... The rodent's fate has already been decided.

I just want to know what would you have done if you had caught a possum in a trap/cage?

We set a trap to catch a racoon who's been causing all kinds problems.

Stupid possum beat him to the trap, lol.

So, would you have killed it?

Would you be all p*ssy about it and set it free in the wild?

Would you have eaten it?
Country GAF, here's looking at you!

Called the city?

We did the p*ssy thing and set free in Griffith Park near L.A.

As far as the racoon, if we ever catch him, I wouldn't be surprised if my father-in-law ate the poor bastard. He's from El Salvador and has eaten seom nasty sh*t before. He even mentioned that racoon would probably taste better than chicken :\

Better question: what not to do?

I think fireworks, spraying it with a hose, and lowering it into a pool slowly James Bond style are all in order here.

Seriously though, just call animal control. If it has rabies, they will probably want to euthanize it.

AtticusFinch said:

I think fireworks, spraying it with a hose, and lowering it into a pool slowly James Bond style are all in order here.

Seriously though, just call animal control. If it has rabies, they will probably want to euthanize it.

About 10 or 12 years ago, we had a live raccoon in a cage, and animal control would not take it because it was not dead. YMMV

mr.beers

I had a killing spree last year when possum and raccoons would raid our animals food. They don't come back when hit with a .22 single shot. one possum was a real contender though I had to reload. Night shooting isn't as bad as ppl think.

mollipen

We have possums that live around the neighborhood. What do I do? Uhm... watch them out the window sometimes, or surprise them every now and then when going out at night. That's about it. Otherwise, I just let them go about their business. So, I guess I'd just let him go.

mr.beers said:
I had a killing spree last year when possum and raccoons would raid our animals food. They don't come back when hit with a .22 single shot. one possum was a real contender though I had to reload. Night shooting isn't as bad as ppl think.

I don't know if you are joking or not, but that sounds like a lot of fun.

SUPREME1

Banned
AtticusFinch said:

D:

You sick bastard.

The pool thing is waaay out there.

RiskyChris said:
About 10 or 12 years ago, we had a live raccoon in a cage, and animal control would not take it because it was not dead. YMMV
"Hi, animal control? We have a live raccoon in a cage here. Can you take care of it?"

"Sorry, since the animal is not dead, we can't take it."

*gun-shot*

"So...wanna send someone over around six-ish?"

I would've let it go too. Only time I ever harm animals is when they're too dumb to run in front of my car and I have no chance of dodging them.

zhenming

call pet control they can deal with these easily, I contacted city hall then they called pet control for me far as I know they took it and released it far away in the wild.

Zeke

the last one I found in our our yard I killed. Damn things are always in our trash cans or knocking them over.

SUPREME1

Banned
Mash said:
I'd have been a pussy and set it free. But first I'd have took pics for GAF.

I am failed.

That would've been cool.

I would've put a sheet of paper next to the cage that read "ImperialConquest's Bitch"

Furio53

did the same thing at my house a few years ago, caught 3 possums in traps in the attic. Proceeded to take them outside, have a friend open the cage, then blew them apart with my 12 gauge. it was epic.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
ImperialConquest said:
Actually this happened two nights ago... The rodent's fate has already been decided.
Gah, Opossums are not rodents. They're marsupials (like kangaroos, koalas, etc.), in fact the only marsupial currently living in America if I recall correctly.

Furio53 said:
did the same thing at my house a few years ago, caught 3 possums in traps in the attic. Proceeded to take them outside, have a friend open the cage, then blew them apart with my 12 gauge. it was epic.

Are you sure they were dead? They might have been playing possum.

Furio53

AtticusFinch said:
Are you sure they were dead? They might have been playing possum.

I don't miss. Especially with a 12 gauge at 5 feet. It was like Gears of War blood spraying everywhere.

Furio53 said:
I don't miss. Especially with a 12 gauge at 5 feet. It was like Gears of War blood spraying everywhere.

2006_15-xx3373.jpg

Edit:
I wasn't trying to question your skills with a gun. I am sure you are an excellent marksman. The set up was just too good for the corny "playing possum" joke

My dog caught an opossum once at night. He was barking furiously and he never ever barks, so I went outside to see what was going on. He comes running over to me with what I thought was a football in his mouth and dropped it at my feet. I screamed my head off for a few seconds.

I didn't know if it was playing dead or what, but my dad picked it up with a shovel, threw it in a garbage bag, tied it up, and then threw it in the trash can. If that thing wasn't dead, the garbage man in the morning probably got a rude surprise.

SUPREME1

Banned
KimiSan said:
Gah, Opossums are not rodents. They're marsupials (like kangaroos, koalas, etc.), in fact the only marsupial currently living in America if I recall correctly.

STFU nerd, or I'll kick your marsupial ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom