• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet and Clank - Quest for Booty - August 21 - $14.99

246kt2e.jpg

flvh2p.jpg

Because it deserves to catch some attention.
Hell Yes.

Guled

siren last week, eden this week, BC:R on the 14, and this the week after that. I love psn day one for sure

Euphor!a

Banned
I guess I'll ask in here since it looks like this will be the official thread...

Is Europe getting the Blu-Ray release the same day the US is getting the PSN release, or at least around the same time?

Euphor!a said:
I guess I'll ask in here since it looks like this will be the official thread...

Is Europe getting the Blu-Ray release the same day the US is getting the PSN release, or at least around the same time?

It sounds like the Blu-ray release won't be out until September.

This summer's download-games have been really filling in for the summer drought.

If they can make Winter all about the big games, and summer all about the small download games, I will be forever a happy man.

jjasper

Jesus this summer has been jammed packed full of awesomeness with downloadable games on both PSN and XBLA.

Evazan

aka [CFD] El Capitan
OMG I cannot wait! I really want this game really really bad. who says windows voice space recognition is not good?

dralla

Has there been any talk about the DL size? 2-3GB I would assume.

actually, Insomniac uses pre-rendered video, so it'll probably be 5-6GB.

vdo

I'm really liking what seems to be a stronger emphasis on platforming, from the media released so far, and hope it really turns out to be that way.

vdo said:
I'm really liking what seems to be a stronger emphasis on platforming, from the media released so far, and hope it really turns out to be that way.

Yep, ~Devil Trigger~ mentioned in the other R&C thread that the demo he played at ComicCon was very platform heavy.

dralla said:

actually, Insomniac uses pre-recorded video, so it'll probably be 5-6GB.

Yes they do. But they have a reason to do so, as I'll honestly take the vids and larger file size to mask load times than I would real time video.

I really like the trailer with the new emphasis on platforming and puzzles. it's about time. can't wait to play this one.

even though I'm excited about this game and can't think any negative about this game, do you think there will be many gaf poster here who complained about the game's length? I fear that some of the poster here may have expect too much from this $15 dollar game.

I fully expect the game will last only about 5-7 hours for first time play with many collectibles to prolong the game length. I just hope no one expect this game to contain 15 hours of gameplay the first time through

tanod

when is my burrito
jeremy_ricci said:
Yes they do. But they have a reason to do so, as I'll honestly take the vids and larger file size to mask load times than I would real time video.

My thoughts: QFB runs off HDD => no loading problems => real-time movies => smaller file size

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
tanod said:
My thoughts: QFB runs off HDD => no loading problems => real-time movies => smaller file size

Correct.

dralla said:

actually, Insomniac uses pre-rendered video, so it'll probably be 5-6GB.

Nope, not with Q4B.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
I don't mind either way just give me the damn game!
I never played Ratchet until I played R/C:ToD. I absolutely love it and I must have mOAR!

GS: How did you handle gameplay without Clank?

BA: Without Clank, Ratchet loses his ability to jump farther and glide. This gave us the opportunity to focus the design on tighter and more challenging platforming. For example, there are areas of the game where Ratchet has to walk along a narrow walkway. If Ratchet had Clank, the player could high-jump and glide past a large chunk of the challenge. Without Clank, the player is forced to skillfully tiptoe along the narrow path.

We also upgraded the wrench to give Ratchet more abilities to compensate for the lack of Clank. The wrench now can extend and latch on to distant objects with its new "Wrench Tether" ability. This allows Ratchet to move platforms, load catapults, and compress special spring pads. Another wrench capability is that Ratchet can pick up and throw small objects. For example, he can pick up glowing creatures called "Helio-grubs" that can be carried to light up dark caves. Picking up and throwing objects adds an additional puzzle element to our classic platforming challenges.

GS: Is this just using the same engine as Tools of Destruction, or has it been enhanced?

BA: This engine is very close to the one that we used for Tools of Destruction. While we upgraded parts of the gameplay engine and improved how the scenes worked, for the most part we've focused on getting more out of our existing engine. Now that we have a better understanding of what we can do, we're exploiting some cool features and integrating them into gameplay. For example, dynamic lights and dynamic shadows are used more frequently, and we're letting players manipulate them with the new wrench abilities.

GS: How much gameplay is there to go through? How did you settle on how much content to include?

BA: Our primary goal was to make the game feel like an epic summer blockbuster movie. However, it's longer than most films in that the average player takes around three to four hours to finish it.

GS: Are there any unlockables?

BA: There are some secret weapon mods hidden throughout the levels that players can find to upgrade their weapons. We also have a couple of hidden Easter eggs in the game that I think fans will appreciate.

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/ratchetandclankquestforbooty/news.html

FirewalkR

BruceLeeRoy and JStevenson bringing us the awesome.

I shall buy this in Blu-ray. Oh yeah! :D

€10 would be nice, given exchange rates and all. But you'll have my €15, Insomniacs.

Mesijs

Is it known if this Ratchet has the challenge mode also? I would really love it, played it a lot in Size Matters (not in ToD because my review copy crashed...).

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
FFObsessed said:
I will buy this.

I kind of want the Blu-ray version, but if it comes out later I'll download the PSN version.

I don't think there will be a blu ray version....

Defcon

Banned
I was hoping for $9.99 since it's supposedly only a 2-3 hour game, but I might consider it pending favorable reviews.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Defcon said:
I was hoping for $9.99 since it's supposedly only a 2-3 hour game, but I might consider it pending favorable reviews.

15 bucks is a steal man.

jstevenson said:
3-4 hours. :p

God thats awesome. Shame about Trophies would have given it even longer legs but
nonetheless August 21 cant come soon enough.

I'm really happy this is a platform heavy Ratchet game. I enjoy the shooting action quite a bit, but the platforming was the reason why I became a fan of the series.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Are there space flight/shooting sections like in previous games or does it take place on one planet?

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
It seems strange that the absence of Clank has actually enhanced Ratchet's appeal in my eyes. Focusing more attention on his signature wrench, expanding its versatilty in gameplay scenarios both in and out of combat, just seems like a fun and natural progression of its orignal concept.

Plus I'm a platforming fiend, so I honestly couldn't be more excited to see how this one turns out.

Top Bottom