• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocky IV was the best Rocky film

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gig

One man's junk is another man's treasure
rockyiv1.jpg

Damn, I love this movie, it was the first Rocky movie I as a kid and it's still my favorite. Not to say that the other Rocky movies weren't great (excluding Rocky V), it's just that this one was so awesome. The soundtrack was amazing (Hearts On Fire!!!), the training montages were so fucking badass, Drago was such a cold, brutal adversary, and the final fight was glorious.

RockyIV.gif

One of the best movies of the 1980's.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
My friend would definitely agree.

I think it's the most entertaining, but not the best made. He would agree with that, too.

It did feature the best training sequence of all time. Bearded Rock is fucking awesome.

xelv

Ever since I watched them all years ago, I haven't decided which one is my favorite. The first one is arguably the best all around film. The second one has such incredible training scenes after Adrian wakes up from the coma("I want to tell you something. Come here. WIN!" - "huh?" "WIN!" *awesome music* (the STAIRS, THE STAIRS!!!), the fourth one just has this awesome Russian machine that KILLS ROCKY's BEST FRIEND!!! Man I can't get over how awesome these movies are.

EMBee99

all that he wants is another baby
Without the third movie introducing the latent sexual tension between Rocky and Apollo, the fourth movie would have no weight.

Therefore, the third movie is the best.

Plus, it had Mr. T in it.

Althane

The only movie to punch out COMMUNISM!

Rocky 4 was the reason the cold war ended! The Russians were terrified that we'd send armies of rock-hard Italian boxers coming to kick their ass!

(nevermind that it took 4 years for that to happen...)

Gig

reilo said:
My friend would definitely agree.

I think it's the most entertaining, but not the best made. He would agree with that, too.

It did feature the best training sequence of all time. Bearded Rock is fucking awesome.

Yeah they were great, Rocky ascending the mountain/Drago running on the treadmill really put it over the top.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Althane said:
The only movie to punch out COMMUNISM!

Rocky 4 was the reason the cold war ended! The Russians were terrified that we'd send armies of rock-hard Italian boxers coming to kick their ass!

(nevermind that it took 4 years for that to happen...)
They probably just didn't get the movie over there til 1989.

Nah, I enjoy it, but it got too...out there compared to the rest (not that those four weren't out there either lol). I did enjoy the fact Rocky single handedly put a stop to the Cold War.

Gig

Duke was also great too.

" You see? He's not a machine, he's a man!"

black_13

Banned
Oh gotta agree. It has the best music, training scene, and the best bad guy.

The driving song where Rocky takes to the Airport has become my favorite driving song at night.

AlexMogil

Drago punched the equivalent of a ton of pressure. He apparently trained at a carnival that measured this.

Rocky III has Hulk Hogan as a wrestler named Thunderlips.

Rocky I won an academy award. Adrian was retarded. Or shy, depending on who you asked.

Rocky II featured Adrian awakening from a coma and saying "win."

So it's really hard to choose.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Bullshit. Its definitely not Rocky 4, but I have a problem choosing which one.

Fuck, the first 4 are all awesome. Why do I have to choose?

JB1981

Rocky III is a far, far better film.

Rocky's defeat.

Mickey's death.

Rocky's comeback.

Rocky destroys Clubber Lang in 3 rounds.

also: Thunderlips and Eye of the Tiger.

Seriously outside of the first Rocky, the only answer is ROCKY II.

You can't beat having Adrian in a coma which has put Rocky into a major slump of guilt, then having her wake up and say:

'There's just one more thing I want you to do for me?
'What?'
'Win'

Then Mickey's 'WHAT ARE WE WAITIN FER!' as the music starts.
Best training montage ever - Going the distance (I GOT SPEEED!), followed by the classic run/Rocky theme, this time with all of the children of Philly running with him.

CREEEEEEEEEEEEEEED!

Gig

JB1981 said:
Rocky III is a far, far better film.

Rocky's defeat.

Mickey's death.

Rocky's comeback.

Rocky destroys Clubber Lang in 3 rounds.

also: Thunderlips and Eye of the Tiger.

Drago could beat the shit out of Clubber Lang.

JB1981

Scullibundo said:
Seriously outside of the first Rocky, the only answer is ROCKY II.

You can't beat having Adrian in a coma which has put Rocky into a major slump of guilt, then having her wake up and say:

'There's just one more thing I want you to do for me?
'What?'
'Win'

Then Mickey's 'WHAT ARE WE WAITIN FER!' as the music starts.
Best training montage ever - Going the distance, followed by the classic run/Rocky theme, this time with all of the children of Philly running with him.

CREEEEEEEEEEEEEEED!
damn. so good

godhandiscen

Stoney Mason said:
The first and last are legit good movies. 3 and 4 are good sort of iconic 80's comic book movies.
What about the second one? Its fucking awesome. How can you forget about it? Also, the third one is far beyong a comic book movie. Come on, Rocky is defeated and then he has to regain his confidence. They show him like a human, a person with fear. The third one is great.

Gig said:
Drago could beat the shit out of Clubber Lang.
Fuck that shit. Apollo could have beat the shit of Drago had he been in his Rocky 1/2 shape.

Which one of the Rocky films won academy awards? Oh, that's right, the first one. Which was clearly the best. Two was fun, and from there on Rocky became a cartoon character. Three and four are still fun, but far from great films. I throughly enjoyed Rocky Balboa as well. Rocky V does not exist.

godhandiscen

Guzim said:
Rocky 3 is a great film too. Who doesn't love this part:

2na8cq1.gif
The part when rocky beats apollo running.... I fucking cried. By that time you know he will rape Clubber Lang.

godhandiscen said:
What about the second one? Its fucking awesome. How can you forget about it? Also, the third one is far beyong a comic book movie. Come on, Rocky is defeated and then he has to regain his confidence. They show him like a human, a person with fear. The third one is great.

Fuck that shit. Apollo could have beat the shit of Drago had he been in his Rocky 1/2 shape.

The second is alright for what it is but its completely unecessary after the first and pretty much just a rehash so Rocky can win. I view Rocky 2 the same as I view Airplane 2. I can enjoy both but they really aren't needed.

Tobor

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Which one of the Rocky films won academy awards? Oh, that's right, the first one. Which was clearly the best. Two was fun, and from there on Rocky became a cartoon character. Three and four are still fun, but far from great films. I throughly enjoyed Rocky Balboa as well. Rocky V does not exist.

100% dead on. If the thread was titled "campiest" Rocky film, then IV would be in the running. The word "best" means something, people.

Gig

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Which one of the Rocky films won academy awards? Oh, that's right, the first one.

Rocky IV brought down the Soviet Union.

Best training montage ever - Going the distance (I GOT SPEEED!), followed by the classic run/Rocky theme, this time with all of the children of Philly running with him.

Dude, bearded Rocky.

godhandiscen

Stoney Mason said:
The second is alright for what it is but its completely unecessary after the first and pretty much just a rehash so Rocky can win. I view Rocky 2 the same as I view Airplane 2. I can enjoy both but they really aren't needed.
The second and first one are just one movie in my mind. You cannot see the first one without watching the second one. Also, its not a rehash. When your wife wakes up from a comma and tells you to "win" .....that was too special.

Jcgamer60

Rocky IV was the worst. The first 2 were the best, it was all downhill after that. The latest Rocky film was actually more of a return to glory.

reilo

BEARDED

FUCKING

ROCKY

Climbing a goddamn MOUNTAIN. Stairs ain't got shit on that! Doing sit-ups while hanging from the rafters in the barn. Pulling a horse carriage in the snow. COME THE FUCK ON PEOPLE!

Wray

Oh hells yeah.

It's fucking MONTAGE TIME!!!!

Rocky III Intro

I mean seriously people. Best Rocky Montage ever. The best parts are the quick cuts showing Mr. T looking pissed to fuck at Rocky. Mr. T. probably went home and raped kittens after that.

godhandiscen

reilo said:
BEARDED

FUCKING

ROCKY

Climbing a goddamn MOUNTAIN. Stairs ain't got shit on that! Doing sit-ups while hanging from the rafters in the barn. COME THE FUCK ON PEOPLE!
I know, and he is weaing ADIDAS SAMBA. I fucking love those shoes.

My favorite is Rocky Balboa. Just so awesome. Especially the short scene just before the training montage and continuing on into it. Fuckawesome.

Gig

reilo said:
BEARDED

FUCKING

ROCKY

Climbing a goddamn MOUNTAIN. Stairs ain't got shit on that! Doing sit-ups while hanging from the rafters in the barn. Pulling a horse carriage in the snow. COME THE FUCK ON PEOPLE!

beard.jpg

godhandiscen

Guybrush Threepwood said:
The first one is by far the best, and it pales in comparison to Raging Bull.
NO! NO and NO. GTFO this thread.

jk, I like Ragging Bull too, but NO.

reilo

Guybrush Threepwood said:
The first one is by far the best, and it pales in comparison to Raging Bull.

Rocky isn't one of those franchises you should take too seriously. Raging Bull is an entirely different movie that dwells on completely different themes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom