• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXI - September Update Thread - Corsair/Blue Mage/Puppet Master Relics!

Deku

Banned
The September version update just keeps getting bigger and better! We would like to take this opportunity to announce our intentions to implement some all-new features to both Dynamis and Limbus, as well as a few adjustments brought in by popular demand!

* Blue mage / Corsair / Puppetmaster Artifacts and Relics

The wait is finally over!
At long last, the highly anticipated relic gear sets of the blue mage, corsair, and puppetmaster jobs are here! Rounding out the standard 5-piece sets, the more recently added back and waist items will also be added to September's version update. Players with these jobs can now look forward to obtaining the ingredient items required to temper their artifact and relic gear with even greater enhancements!
When considering how to best introduce this equipment, the development team weighed many options, including the possibility of entirely original methods. In the end, however, the decision was made that such means would be largely unfair by rendering only players with these jobs capable of accessing new game content. Therefore, all of the above items will be procured in the same way as their predecessors, namely via exploits in the Dynamis and Limbus areas.

* Drop Rates

Great care has been put into assuring that current drop rates will see no negative impact from the introduction of the new blue mage, corsair, and puppetmaster gear sets. Players can rest easy knowing that any and all necessary adjustments to the drop rate ratios have been considered and implemented to maintain a fair and balanced game experience.
Furthermore, the overall drop rates of select Dynamis areas, covering the relic gear of all jobs old and new, are set to be raised as well.

* Entry Fees

In light of the additions and adjustments detailed above, the entry fees for both Dynamis and Limbus were also brought under careful reconsideration.
Thanks in part to the ground being made by the Special Task Force in combating RMT-related activities, and subsequent normalization of the game economy, the following reduction in price to entry items will be implemented in the upcoming September version update.

Timeless Hourglass: 1,000,000 gil -> 500,000 gil
Cosmo-Cleanse: 30,000 gil -> 15,000 gil

Dynamis_and_Limbus_Get_a_Makeover%21_%2808-04-2008%29-1.jpg

Dynamis_and_Limbus_Get_a_Makeover!_(08-04-2008)-3.jpg

Dynamis_and_Limbus_Get_a_Makeover%21_%2808-04-2008%29-2.jpg

Ravidrath

All I wanna know is, where is the SCH and DNC Relic armor? They're not really going to make us wait two years for that, are they?

Really curious about the stats on the BLU Relic... I had my gear all planned out, but who knows what we'll see. Hopefully the Blue Magic Skill +15 piece is in one of the weaker slots... maybe head, or hands?

Deku

Banned
Ravidrath said:
All I wanna know is, where is the SCH and DNC Relic armor? They're not really going to make us wait two years for that, are they?

Really curious about the stats on the BLU Relic... I had my gear all planned out, but who knows what we'll see. Hopefully the Blue Magic Skill +15 piece is in one of the weaker slots... maybe head, or hands?

I have a scholar leveled up and I'm mad. mad!!!

Deku

Banned
There's more. Here's a preview of the mission additions for September. There's probably more we don't know about yet.

The storyline for the episodic quests introduced in the Wings of the Goddess expansion pack is set to continue in the upcoming September version update. Adventurers will find themselves thrown into the midst of furious struggles for the continued survival of each nation.

San d'Oria
Having borne witness to the real horrors of the battlefield, Tavnazia-bound Excenmille makes the executive decision to disband the Young Griffons in the interest of his friends' safety. Bitterly disappointed at their captain's sudden change of heart and eager to prove him wrong, the ever-zealous remaining members embark on an ambitious mission that will see them come face to face with a fiendish Orcish plot...
Wings_of_the_Goddess_Nation_Quests_%2807-31-2008%29-1.jpg

Bastok
Trouble is brewing in the republic as Galkan discontent towards the Hume government and the imperious military police threatens to boil over into all-out civil war. To make matters worse, fueling the fire of rebellion is an unlikely culprit—a sworn brother of the proud Mythril Musketeers. With the unity and morale of the citizens crumbling and the security of the nation compromised from within, will Bastok's defenses be able to hold out should the unthinkable occur...?

Wings_of_the_Goddess_Nation_Quests_%2807-31-2008%29-2.jpg

Windurst
Although victorious over the Yagudo Theomilitary at Fort Karugo-Narugo, the Windurstian Forces have been left nursing grievous wounds to their ranks. The Mithran Mercenaries, however, could not have chosen a more inopportune time to engage in internal feuding. Old rivalries are reignited as Cobra Command transforms from the city's last bastion of defense into a savage battlefield...

Wings_of_the_Goddess_Nation_Quests_%2807-31-2008%29-3.jpg

The dark underbelly of the Crystal War will be revealed to adventurers brave enough to answer the call. The future of Vana'diel rests in your hands!

Ravidrath

Deku said:
I have a scholar leveled up and I'm mad. mad!!!

Same. Just got it to 75 over the weekend, and I want something other than Yigit/Goliard for it.

...But I guess I'd rather they release it after they're done with Group 1 and 2 merits. A lot of the older Relic sets are weird and outdated after subsequent balance changes and merits, and I'd hate to see that happen to SCH.

Back to BLU. Looking forward to my new Weapon Skill and, less so, starting on a Tizona.

Darkpen

Banned
oneHeero said:
I miss FFXI so much :(

Fairy Server ftw!
me too :(

Phoenix server ftw D:

:(

MY DRAGOON, MY BLACK MAGE!

Tell me, people who are still playing: Is the blight that was the aht urghan expansion areas and party-invite tp burn trends gone? Are black mages back into demand? What has become of my lovely home? :(

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Makes me wish my account wasnt stolen...or the account that was given to me afterwards was yoinked back lol

Ravidrath

Darkpen said:
Tell me, people who are still playing: Is the blight that was the aht urghan expansion areas and party-invite tp burn trends gone? Are black mages back into demand? What has become of my lovely home? :(

Sadly, no. Black Mage is still a solo job.

...However, there was a promising hint in a recent interview that they're going to add a new mechanic so mages can help melees in some fashion.

Arsenic

Ravidrath said:

...However, there was a promising hint in a recent interview that they're going to add a new mechanic so mages can help melees in some fashion.
This is one of the reasons why i quit.
Even though slow i much rather the oldschool ways of partying.

Everything became rinse and repeat after ToAH released

sky

I loved Dynamis... but yeah, the drop rates were terrible!
Dammit SE! Release your new MMO, so I can stop reconsidering my FFXI departure.

Burli

Pringo
I wish FFXI didn't damage three years of my life, then I'd have only the fond memories to look back at.

By the way, Are those child elvaans? Cool.

Ravidrath said:

wow, I really haven't played in a long time - how did Black Mage become a solo job?

Desi

the Puppetmaster one looks nice. Blue mage is exactly how i thought it was going to look. kind of sad no surprises.

oneHeero

Arsenic said:
This is one of the reasons why i quit.
Even though slow i much rather the oldschool ways of partying.

Everything became rinse and repeat after ToAH released
BLM started that crap with burn parties as well. BLM only was horrible to run into.

I was a Ranger from start to finish. PreNerf RNG and PostNerf RNG Kings of dmg, fuck BLM.

I still used BLM in TP parties in ToAH, just had them burst off us to kill the birds in the end that way they dont get mirrored. Or have a smart blm who knew how to keep themselves alive as well. As a RNG I tip toed the hate line so if BLM grabbed hate, it was easy for me to take it back by killing the bird off easily or just tking a hit or 2.

hgplayer1

whoa.....

Dynamis drops have sucked for my LS lately and this is great news if true! still trying to complete my SAM relic but I havent got a drop in months.

nice to hear that the cost of entering Dynamis has dropped too since maybe that means the price of ancient currency will drop? or am i thinking wrong on this?

Its a little easier to EXP alone in FFXI these days once you get to a certain level. Get access to Campaign Battle and its free EXP in the sense that you dont lose EXP if you die while you are tagged as participating in Campaign Battle. Its pretty fun too. Ive heard BRD can just stand in one spot and play songs over and over and get easy EXP but that sounds boring.

Himuro said:
People still play this?

It's the most popular MMO in Japan, has around 200,000 players.

Clever Pun said:
wow, I really haven't played in a long time - how did Black Mage become a solo job?

For that matter, how can a Black Mage be a Solo Job? (Never played FFXI) I mean, the very nature of the Black Mage seems to be that it would require at least a tank in front of it in order to survive.

oneHeero

PataHikari said:
It's the most popular MMO in Japan, has around 200,000 players.

For that matter, how can a Black Mage be a Solo Job? (Never played FFXI) I mean, the very nature of the Black Mage seems to be that it would require at least a tank in front of it in order to survive.
Enfeeble + spells like bind etc. Really fun actually, takes skill.

Ravidrath

Clever Pun said:

Basically, they strongly disincentivized manaburn parties, which were kinda broken anyway. Monsters build up resistance if too much is cast on them.

As for how you solo...

1. Find an open, relatively safe area.
2. Stick Gravity on the monster.
3. Nuke and run around, Sleeping or Binding as necessary.
4. Rinse. Repeat.

Or...

1. Find a Qiqirn (rat Beastman) ranger.
2. Nuke!
3. Sleep it if your HP gets low.

Basically, ranged attacks don't interrupt spellcasting, and Qiqirns will never move in to melee, so you stand back and fire at each other until one of you wins.

Many people also kill Beastman Beastmaster pets for a large portion of the game, since you can one-shot them post-51.

All of these are actually pretty fun, but like any solo job, just gets old, and is better with one or two others.

Ravidrath said:
Basically, they strongly disincentivized manaburn parties, which were kinda broken anyway. Monsters build up resistance if too much is cast on them.

As for how you solo...

1. Find an open, relatively safe area.
2. Stick Gravity on the monster.
3. Nuke and run around, Sleeping or Binding as necessary.
4. Rinse. Repeat.

Or...

1. Find a Qiqirn (rat Beastman) ranger.
2. Nuke!
3. Sleep it if your HP gets low.

Basically, ranged attacks don't interrupt spellcasting, and Qiqirns will never move in to melee, so you stand back and fire at each other until one of you wins.

Many people also kill Beastman Beastmaster pets for a large portion of the game, since you can one-shot them post-51.

All of these are actually pretty fun, but like any solo job, just gets old, and is better with one or two others.

interesting - but how fast can you get XP like this? It seems really slow, even by FFXI standards

Nice thing about being a PUP. I can join a LS that does Dynamis and pretty much hve first priority of PUP AF drops. Before anyone says I have no chance of getting invited. I have BLM leveled too, so.. I'll be fine. lol

Yeah, being a job where there's a max of 10 online at any given time is great.

nice to see changes, especially the dynamis ones as it was nothing but a chore with a crappy drop rate on relic- but kind of late but i guess late then never

but then again i dont play anymore and will never play an mmo ever again

Ravidrath

Clever Pun said:
interesting - but how fast can you get XP like this? It seems really slow, even by FFXI standards

It's slower than usual, but faster than you think. Lots of downtime to get MP, but you can get 300-500 exp. a kill since you're alone. Depending on your level and the monster's level and how quickly you can get MP, I would say it's 6-8k an hour?

The worst part of it, really, is just that it get boring alone over time, but can be a good way to kill an hour or two.

Jonnyram

I recently came back to FFXI and levelled from 64 to 70 in a couple of weeks, and passed the RDM Maat fight. But fuck having to level my WHM for sub. Having only BLM sub was fine back in the early days, but now everyone needs /WHM for erase :( I guess I should be able to do Dynamis without it, as long as my LS lets me.

Ploid 3.0

Nah you don't need whm sub for dynamis. I never got whm past 30 and had rdm75 that got used over all my other jobs (sam, war(ridill), thf(th2.2), bst(..) ). RDM/BLM is good. You just need Cures, haste, refresh, sleeps, and silence. People sleep through dynamis.

Olaeh

Wow, I didn't know BLM was a solo job now. What is the status on PUP these days?? Mine was lvl 69 when I left. "lolpup"

Ploid 3.0

PUP is awesome!!

I duoed with a pup for merits (Shouta he also pwns). I was bst 75 btw. They do everything, they nuke hard, range attack hard, and fight hard. It's crazy.

Olaeh

Ploid 3.0 said:
PUP is awesome!!

I duoed with a pup for merits (Shouta he also pwns). I was bst 75 btw. They do everything, they nuke hard, range attack hard, and fight hard. It's crazy.
Damn, I need to jump back in!! Is there a "GAF LS" or a certain server that holds most of GAF's FFXI community?

Deku

Banned
There was the other thread on the LevelSync system. Here's the announcement.

The FFXI development team is proud to announce the "Level Sync" system, a revolutionary new feature in the upcoming version update that will allow all players—grizzled veterans and novices alike—to adventure and gain experience together regardless of level differences!

The Concept

The development team has been listening intently to feedback from players, and working hard to address concerns such as the following: "I can't party effectively with my friends or linkshell members because our levels are too far apart!" "I invited one of my friends to play FFXI with me, but we can't party together because we don't have any jobs at similar levels!" "I can't find anyone close enough to my level to party with!"

The new Level Sync system is the result of extensive discussions on how to resolve these concerns, while preserving game balance and avoiding abuse and power-leveling by RMT groups. It addresses the issues that have resulted from a steady stream of new, low-level players joining an existing game world populated by scores of high-level veterans, and is part of the ongoing effort to clean up the FFXI community and remove players in violation of the users' agreement.

At the heart of the feature is the new ability for members of a party to "power down" to the level of a designated target player. Now friends will be able to adventure together and gain experience as if they were all the same level!

With the introduction of this system, there will also be major changes to the way equipment is handled in regard to level restrictions. Rather than automatically unequipping items if a player's level is reduced below the item's minimum level, the attributes of high-level equipment will be scaled down proportionally to the reduced level. This will apply not only to the Level Sync system, but to all level-restricted areas and missions. This means that players will now be able to participate in various battlefields, Assault missions, and Ballista, and also to adventure in level-capped areas such as Riverne without the hassle of having to switch equipment!

Read on for more details about how the Level Sync system will work, and examples of how equipment and experience-gaining will be affected.

How it Works

When Level Sync is activated, the level of all party members will be temporarily reduced to that of a target player designated by the party leader. For as long as the Level Sync remains in effect, all party members – regardless of their original level – will be able to gain experience as if they were actually the lower, restricted level.

e.g. With a party containing characters of Levels 75, 48, 46, 30, 12, and 11: If the target character is Lv. 11, everyone will become Lv. 11. If the target character is Lv. 12, the Lv. 30-75 party members will become Lv. 12. (the Lv. 11 character will remain Lv. 11)

* If the target character gains a level while Level Sync is in effect, the other characters' levels will automatically adjust to reflect the new target level.
* Level Sync cannot be used in areas or events where a separate level restriction already applies.
* The Level Sync settings are easily accessible from the main menu.

Three simple restrictions will be implemented to ensure that the Level Sync feature is not abused and does not provide an excessive advantage over traditional leveling.
1)The minimum target level that can be synchronized to is Level 10.
2)The party leader and target player must be located in the same area.
3)There will be a buffer period of thirty seconds when deactivating Level Sync.

Gaining Experience

When Level Sync is in effect, players will gain 100% of the experience and limit points possible to gain at their reduced level. Be aware, though, that no EXP will be gained if the target player is unconscious, removed from the party, too far away from the battle location, or otherwise unable to receive EXP at the time the monster is defeated. In addition, the amount of EXP lost when rendered unconscious will be calculated based upon the player's reduced level.

Equipment

As mentioned above, equipment will also be temporarily powered down to match the player's reduced level. Attributes that will be affected include: DMG, DEF, HP, MP, Status Effects, Accuracy+, Attack+, Ranged Accuracy+, Ranged Attack+, Magic Accuracy+, and Magic Attack+.

* The current plan is for other special properties (including Evasion, Enmity, enchantments and ability bonuses) to be negated entirely.

Ex. 1) Centurion's Sword (Lv. 30)
DMG: 19 Delay: 225 Accuracy +3 Attack +4

Ex. 2) Askar Zucchetto (Lv. 75)
DEF: 23 STR+4 DEX+4 VIT+4 Haste +4%
Set: Max HP Boost

Ex. 3) Goliard Clogs (Lv. 75)
DEF: 19 DEX+4 INT+4 MND+4 CHR+4 Evasion +5
MP recovered while healing +3 Magic Accuracy +2

* The attributes in bold will be scaled down relative to the player's level.

Also, low-level players need not be discouraged! Statistics on higher-level equipment (including HQ and rare items) being scaled down will be comparable to those of common items at the target level. This means that lower-level characters who have obtained special equipment via quests, notorious monsters, or HQ syntheses will still have the best gear available at their respective level!

There are still more exciting new changes that will be introduced, so keep an eye out for the full details to be posted on the day of the version update. Until then, happy adventuring!

New_Level_Sync_Feature_to_Change_the_Way_You_Party!_08-25-2008-1.jpg

New_Level_Sync_Feature_to_Change_the_Way_You_Party!_08-25-2008-2.jpg

Ploid 3.0

Olaeh said:
Damn, I need to jump back in!! Is there a "GAF LS" or a certain server that holds most of GAF's FFXI community?

There is, but most quit and the shell was lonely when I stopped playing. I mostly stopped because of that. I was released from the spell.

btw
Server: Fairy
Linkshell: StarsofDestiny

Kandinsky

Ploid 3.0 said:
There is, but most quit and the shell was lonely when I stopped playing. I mostly stopped because of that. I was released from the spell.

btw
Server: Fairy
Linkshell: StarsofDestiny
So you arent the same Ploid i see idling in whitegate? :O

Ploid 3.0

Kandinsky said:
So you arent the same Ploid i see idling in whitegate? :O

I let a LS member use Ploid as a mule to keep me alive in case I want to come back. I log on sometimes, like once a month and a half.

Jaruru

release the new MMO already, SE.

I remember the weekly Dynamis event of my LS was dragging. the Dynamis part of fun. but too much drama/waiting and the drop rate = terrible. ppl never get a balance of how to spread/vote for the rare drops.

Ploid 3.0

Jaruru said:

I remember the weekly Dynamis event of my LS was dragging. the Dynamis part of fun. but too much drama/waiting and the drop rate = terrible. ppl never get a balance of how to spread/vote for the rare drops.

Dynamis is the worst trap ever. The event is 3+ hours long. The event puts me to sleep in the same way a Ben Stine sounding teacher makes you battle with the urge to keep your eyelids open. The armor drops are so rare, and the ones that drop often are usually useless. The currency drop often but that's like saying getting a penny for each yard you walk is a will fund your dream car alone. The amount of work you have to put in to get upgrades on relics outside of dynamis runs you attend is crazy (hats off to whoever got one of those, and I'm sorry). I wish a better system for those weapons were in place, not easy but not stupid. Most of the weapons aren't even worth all of that effort (bst axe, club, staff, sword, etc).

Jaruru said:

Er, that's more of a problem with the leadership. Don't join a Dynamis shell unless you agree with how they deal out drops.

Koshiba

Projectjustice said:
Thats the main problem with FFXI. All jobs should be able to solo.

Truthfully soloing isn't as difficult anymore with the addition of the dancer class and campaign.

Ploid 3.0

Soloing with thf/nin, RDM/blm, RDM/bst, BST/nin, BST/whatever were always my best times in ffxi. Playing when I felt like it. Doing my own thing, and having fun being risky. I wish SE made a good T, and VT spot for goldfish in sea. My thf and rdm lived off those. I exped from 72 on those with my rdm, I hated exping in parties on RDM with a passion. Good old open mouth surgery.

I never got WotG, it sounded sweet. I knew I was done with Square at that point. They released expansions instead of tweaking the game for the better.

jiggle

http://www.playonline.com/pcd/topics/ff11us/detail/3634/detail.html

In next month's update, the development team will take the hassle of storing beastmen's and Kindred's seals out of your hands, and put it into those of orb-dispensing NPC Shami.

YESH!!! I have like 7 stacks of B.seals and 2 stacks of K.seal that i've been wasting storage space on XD

In addition to the above, rental chocobos will finally be made available for use in areas introduced in the Wings of the Goddess expansion.

YESH!!! Lemme choco dig some Khroma and Wootz plz!!!

*Please note that chocobo whistle usage and digging will not be possible in past Vana'diel.

NOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
I've been looking forward to this one feature since expansion came out ><
WotG am failed! failed! FAILED!

Top Bottom